a suitable dowry?

Is $5000 too much?

• Total voters

alyssa

Convert
asslamalaykom,
my fiance makes $4000 a month. That is pretty poor for USA. (He is from morocco). Do u think asking him for $5000 would be too much? I want enuf money that shud something (SubhanAllah) ever happen I will be able to still live w/o my parents.

OsMaN_93

Here to help
:salam2:
i dont get it???

so you need 5000$ and he only makEs 4000$
casn u explain in more simple way plz
wasalam
jazak Allah

BrotherZak

salaam alaikum,

I think she means that her fiance makes a salary of $4000 a month($48000 a year). And that she wants to set her wedding dowry to $5000, incase something happened to the marriage somewhere in the future.

OsMaN_93

Here to help
salaam alaikum,

I think she means that her fiance makes a salary of $4000 a month($48000 a year). And that she wants to set her wedding dowry to $5000, incase something happened to the marriage somewhere in the future.
jazak Allah bro

im more clear on that now:D

AdamMuslim

Besm Allah,
Assalamou Alikom Warahmatou Allah,
Dear Sister,

Personally, I tink it is a bad idea to interfer between you. Then, I'll just make a general statements.

Al mahr is your right and it is guaranteed by Islam.
But you have to discuss with your future hasband the value (not necessarily money) or the amout of this Mahr taking into account the financial situation of the hasband.

Wedding moubarak incha Allah and congratulations in advance !

:salam2:

louly_sweet

Sub Han Allah
Salamo alikom,
First of all CONGRATULATIONS.
After reading your post, & not the poll as a concept, I think it is NOT too much.
1- he should have at least saved some money for that purpose.
2- It is your right to feel secure esp. that you seem to be marrying someone who is not from your own country

P.S It is very important though that this sum of money won't become a burden on him on the long run. But he should've saved or is willing to save up a reasonable sum of money for marriage.

wa Allah A'lam/
Allah only knows
Salamo Alikom & good luck

asslamalaykom,
my fiance makes $4000 a month. That is pretty poor for USA. (He is from morocco). Do u think asking him for $5000 would be too much? I want enuf money that shud something (SubhanAllah) ever happen I will be able to still live w/o my parents.

Salaam,

It depends. You might have to investigate closer - he might have some financial obligations from family, auto loan, college tuition, etc. I think you should both compromise on a reasonal amount. You might want to take into consideration about the cost of your wedding and who is going to pay for that.

Also, be sure you state his salary correctly, because $4,000 could be the gross amount but after taxes, health insurance, 401K, it's probably close to $3,000.

I don't know where in the U.S. you and your fiance reside, but $4,000 could be good in Wyoming but little in Chicago or Washington DC, because the cost of living is much higher in major cities.

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member
asslamalaykom,

salam aleikum
4000$ a month ,alhamdulillah ,thats not poor at all..

waaleikum salam

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
asslamalaykom,

Sister, you can ask him any amount you want . But seriously $5000 is not too much , Alhamdulilah

May Allah bless the both of you

hager

wel

well
i don't know,this's something personal between both of u
i can't say my opinion..
better to get into disscussion with him about that..

q8penpals

asslamalaykom,

Salam

I don't know where you are living in the US, but where I am from in the US, $4000 a month would make you pretty rich - my best friend has 3 kids and she and her husband COMBINED don't make $4000 a month, and they are paying a mortgage and 2 car payments and still doing ok.

ANYWAY, I asked my husband for the equivalent of 2 months' salary, and gave him 6 months to pay it. It did take him a little longer to pay it, but that was ok with me.

In my opinion, which is what you are asking for, is that given the money he is earning, $5000 is a very reasonable dowry.

Lana

Ghareebah

Bint Abdulkadir
salam alaykum

im from the uk $5000 is roughly £2521.... that seems fair...but if its hard on him you should be lenient, i asked from my husband only £1000 for my dowry...because he is a student and is not working so i looked into that...the best dowries are those which are easy. plus sis you put your trust in allah things wont go wrong in the future

alyssa

Convert
Well, he lives in a big city. He has only saved up $5000 for us to live on and we have been engaged 2 YEARS!
Well, I want enuf so if he ever divorces me or dies or we get seperated I will have enuf to get my own apt and get food and furniture and stuff.