A Woman's Place Is In The Home.

Muhammad_A

Penguin fancier
Is the message I seem to be getting over and over again from various sources.

Do you agree or disagree?

The gender divide could be interesting. How many sisters would be/are happy to be confined to their domiciles? How many brothers (would) insist on them so being?

umm hussain

I agree, because when I used to work outside the house I used to feel like I was doing double the job, working outside the house to supplement the earnings yet I would do most of the work at home. Most times I would be up with the baby and still be expected to go to work early in the morning. Alhamdulillah my husband helps around the house, nappy changes and all but it still isn't the same, because when it comes to breastfeeding and staying up all night I have to do that bit.

I find it a lot easier that I am not working anymore. I just told him I cant do both, and he understood and he said that it was his duty anyway to provide so I can stay home if I wanted to. Now I find I can really play or teach the children without me being to tired because of working outside the house.

It does not feel like I am confined, I am in the house by choice, unlike some men my husband does not dictate things to me because he knows I am not going to do anything silly anyway, he trusts my judgment. There are no rules like you cant go out unless I say so kind off thing because if I do go out he knows it was necessary and doesn't go checking on me or breathing down my neck each time I leave the house. I ask him sometimes if I can go somewhere just like he might ask me sometimes, basically you cant just leave the house whether it is the man or woman. He is great with the children, I can leave him with the children at home sometimes while I go out.

Staying at home with children isn't as easy as some people think, it is still work but you just don't get a salary at the end of each month

revert_north

NEW MUSLIMA
Is the message I seem to be getting over and over again from various sources.

Do you agree or disagree?

The gender divide could be interesting. How many sisters would be/are happy to be confined to their domiciles? How many brothers (would) insist on them so being?

:salam2:

A woman's primary responsibilty is in her home. Motherly and wifely duties surpass any other whim or desire she may have. Sucessful completion of these duties on a day-to-day basis makes one a good mother and a good wife. But what about when every meal is prepared, every dish is cleaned, and every floor is swept? Her husband is happy, and her children likewise?

Then of course she should be entitled to have something to engage herself in that does not necessarily relate to her duties, if she so wishes.

I would not even consider being absolutely confined to my home, unless the needs of my husband and future children required me to be so. I have no children, but I am married. Alhamdulillah my husband and I are both happy with each other's leisure pursuits and "free time". We also make a point of designating at least some time every day to be alone together - nobody cooking, cleaning, working, etc. I run my household single-handedly (hubby is useless at cleaning :)), and believe me, it does not take every waking hour to complete.

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
but it still isn't the same, because when it comes to breastfeeding and staying up all night I have to do that bit.
Seriously, u do nt expect ur husband to do the breastfeeding , right??

In addition, Anas relates this hadith from al Tabarani:

Sallama, the nurse to the Prophet's (sallalahu aleyhi wa salaam) son Ibrahim said, 'O Messenger of God, you have brought tidings of all good things to men, but not to women.' He said, 'Did your women friends put you up to asking me this question?' 'Yes, they did,' she replied, and he said,' Does it not please any one of you that if she is pregnant by her husband and he is satisfied with that, she receives the reward of one who fasts and prays for the sake of Allah? And when her labor pains come, no one in the heavens or the earth knows what is concealed in her womb to delight her? And when she delivers, not a mouthful of milk flows from her, and not a suck does she give, but that she receives, for every mouthful and every suck the reward of one good deed. And if she is kept awake at night by her child, she receives the reward of one who frees seventy slaves for the sake of Allah.'"

Interesting
Source:http://www.modernmuslima.com/bffaq.htm

This are the advantageous of being a muslima mother...The guys do nt get it...I still do nt get it why some people think islam is not fair to females... MashAllah , u read the hadith above, a lot of benefits..And that is only for one child . What if she has 4 or 5... No way is islam unfair to the females... No way...

I find it a lot easier that I am not working anymore. I just told him I cant do both, and he understood and he said that it was his duty anyway to provide so I can stay home if I wanted to. Now I find I can really play or teach the children without me being to tired because of working outside the house.

Staying at home with children isnt as easy as some people think, it is still work but you just dont get a salary at the end of each month

Alhamdulilah...
You do not get salary but inshAllah u get lots of good deeds...
:)

BintMuhammad

Staff member
Assalamu alaikum,

I agree. I echo sister revert_north's statement. Very well said sis. :hijabi:

A woman's primary responsibilty is in her home. Motherly and wifely duties surpass any other whim or desire she may have. Sucessful completion of these duties on a day-to-day basis makes one a good mother and a good wife. But what about when every meal is prepared, every dish is cleaned, and every floor is swept? Her husband is happy, and her children likewise?

Then of course she should be entitled to have something to engage herself in that does not necessarily relate to her duties, if she so wishes.

I would not even consider being absolutely confined to my home, unless the needs of my husband and future children required me to be so. I have no children, but I am married. Alhamdulillah my husband and I are both happy with each other's leisure pursuits and "free time". We also make a point of designating at least some time every day to be alone together - nobody cooking, cleaning, working, etc. I run my household single-handedly (hubby is useless at cleaning :)), and believe me, it does not take every waking hour to complete.

Muhammad_A

Penguin fancier
That's true. With the introduction of various modern appliances throughout the 20th c housework became relatively easy (I'm still rubbish at it, mind). But the whole point of confining women to the home in Islam isn't so they can do the housework but so that they avoid being tempted/a source of temptation.

So, how do you feel about it from that POV?

revert_north

NEW MUSLIMA
That's true. With the introduction of various modern appliances throughout the 20th c housework became relatively easy (I'm still rubbish at it, mind). But the whole point of confining women to the home in Islam isn't so they can do the housework but so that they avoid being tempted/a source of temptation.

So, how do you feel about it from that POV?

I'm guessing this was directed at me? Oh heck, I'll answer it anyway :p

I realise that 'temptation' outside the four walls is a factor in confining women to the home, but I believe this is another thing that has changed in the 20th/21st Century. If a woman is so inclinded, she has access to such temptations within her own home, too! The walls of our homes are becoming redundant as protection from society's ills. What with the horrors of things like online gambling (not to mention the much less savoury content one can access at the click of a button), the silliness of TV/internet shopping, the crass content of TV talk shows, etc. The majority of the things we can come in contact with and be tempted by in the outside world are also lurking in our own homes.

Now back to the original question...please don't perceive my views as looking down on Muslim women who do stay at home all day, because that's not the case. I am filled with nothing but love and respect for pious Muslimas, regardless of whether or not she goes out and shops 'till she drops (lol ;)), or she stays at home with her children (which is incredibly hard work!).

But personally speaking, being housebound is neither desirable nor practical - I have to work, as does my husband.

unique_princess

AlQudsu tunadeena

well i don't agree that women has to stay in the house 24/7...and about going to work it depends on diffrent ppls situations

personally speaking i'd prefer staying at home with the kids when i do have them(inshaAllah)...but...i couldn't stay away from the shopping/going for walks etc, :p so i would be going outi wouldn't b confined

:wasalam:

Mohsin

abdu'Allah
Assalamu-alaikum

i agree with sister revert_north's statement

A woman's primary responsibilty is in her home. Motherly and wifely duties surpass any other whim or desire she may have.

Actually not just me or anyone else thinks this way but many new surveys show this and i am just putting one of them here which clearly supports sisters comments. Here it is,

Baby, this just isn't working for me​

Sidelined, overlooked, squeezed out ... the mothers of young children are more discriminated against than any one else in the workplace, according to a new report. Madeleine Bunting on how British women are forced to choose between children and a career

Thursday March 1, 2007
The Guardian

British women are often forced to choose between children and a career.

Women with young children suffer more discrimination at work than any other group, a government-commissioned report concluded yesterday. It was not a finding that would have surprised any working mother. Take a very personal example: I was rung at 11.10am yesterday by a G2 commissioning editor asking me to write this piece. "Ye ... es," I said, and she heard my hesitation. What was going through my mind was that rapid, computer-like calculation as to whether the assignment would make me late home and leave any of my three children stranded. One was at the childminder - who could work late. Another was at a friend's and had insisted I pick him up at a certain time - he could lump it if necessary. The third, aged 12, might have to hang on "home alone" with a jam sandwich until I could get back.
Tedious personal detail? Perhaps, but it's exactly the kind of tedious detail of which motherhood is generally made. At the same time, to most employers, my hesitation would be marked down as not-so eager, not-so flexible. In so many professional worlds, where such characteristics are the essential engine oil of career development, women - and it is still largely women - who have to make such calculations end up being imperceptibly sidelined, shunted on to well-defined "mummy tracks" (if you're lucky) or eased out of the company altogether. Imagine the lawyer who hesitates about taking on a big case because it will require 60-hour weeks or frequent travel; the supermarket supervisor who decides not to become a manager because it involves working long hours; the teacher unsure about stepping up to a headship because of a sick child at home. This is how careers are destroyed.
These kinds of working women will still find paid employment, but for the vast majority, the pram in the hall marks, at best, a plateau in their career - treading water - at worst, its abrupt end. And in today's labour market, you don't get a second chance: very few women who take a break manage to pick up their careers after a family. After a generation of revolutionary change - 55% of women with children under five now work outside the home, compared with 25% in 1975 - what yesterday's report from the Equalities Review, commissioned by Tony Blair, helps to highlight is that the sheer number of women in employment has not solved all the problems. In fact, it has created a new type of inequality - a tiered workforce in which mothers often find themselves at, or close to, the bottom in every type of workplace.

The revolution in women's roles has failed to transform two vital elements. First, it has singlularly failed to change the total-dedication, 24/7 male model of working which is still seen as crucial for career development in your 30s and 40s. Second, it has failed to shift expectations about the active involvement of men in the home. There is progress here, but it is painfully slow.

The result is that working mothers are left with the worst of two worlds. They can have jobs but rarely careers. They are frequently trapped in work which, while it may offer some degree of flexibility (part-time or term-time working, for example), is lower paid and with little chance of career progression. At the same time they are still expected to meet the traditional expectations of being a mother - available and attentive to all the family's wellbeing. It's not just the question of managing competing priorities, it's a question of living with that sense of never doing anything to the best of your ability. You are haunted by two ghosts - the better mother you could be, and the better employee. You watch your male peers' careers soar, even as their wives have children; you glimpse those calm mothers at the school gate who aren't jabbering into their mobile phones while distractedly picking up their children. For the many women who have spent their youth thriving on workplace competition, this is an unfamiliar experience.

For some women, these ghosts of other selves become demons. They are the ones who give up brilliant careers to do poster paint and cake-baking full-time; those who work so hard they rarely see their children; or those who decide children and compromises at work are not for them, and don't have a family. Perfectionism has often been the driving force of their brilliant achievements, and coming to terms with second best can be so painful, they'd rather not try.

Opting out of the work-struggle is a draconian option, and one only available to those with partners earning enough money to keep the whole family. More common is the woman who opts for a job that is well below that which she is qualified to do - 50% of employees in part-time work are working below their skill levels. And they pay a heavy penalty in terms of pay - the gender pay-gap for full-time work is 17.2%, but for part-time work it is a whopping 37.6%. This is an area where government policy has failed; the right to request flexible working, introduced in 2003, may have hugely opened up the opportunities for part- time and flexible working, but it has failed to improve the quality of that part-time work.

None of this, of course, is anything you notice or care about before your baby arrives. The glass ceiling is something that women bump their heads on only after emerging from the maternity ward. Nothing prepares you for parenthood, according to the cliche, and certainly nothing prepares the young, successful working woman for the painful realisation, as she hits her 30s, that this is the decade in which she's expected to do two completely contradictory things: start a family and at the same time shift her career into the highest gear if she is to win the biggest prizes. The 30s is a decade of brutal reckoning for many women as they are forced to recalibrate everything they have been told since they were children - yes, they can achieve anything they set their minds on, but at a cost that no one ever spelt out to them. How large that cost is depends entirely on the individual woman, her own understanding of motherhood and the kind of engagement she wants with her own children. A few working mothers resolve that conflict to their own satisfaction; the vast majority live uncomfortably with an internal dialogue of self-doubt.

What is particularly disheartening is that motherhood and work are probably getting harder than ever to reconcile because of broader changes in British working life and social trends. Work has become more unpredictable. The kind of sudden deadlines that are typical of journalism are now symptomatic of a wide range of professions. Blackberrys, mobile phones and the internet have all accelerated the pace of work. Many jobs involve complex, competing priorities and a huge amount of networking within and between organisations. Meanwhile, we have less support to fall back on. My husband usually does the school pick-up. If he's away, I have no family or even neighbours to call on. Because I work, I can't repay favours so am apprehensive of calling on friends. Those traditional networks of mutual cooperation have crumbled.

At the same time, parenting has risen up the political agenda as a key area of social concern. Just as work has intensified, so has parenting: expectations are much higher. An earlier generation of parents was happy for their children to play outside in the street unsupervised - "benign neglect" was a serious parenting principle. Now huge parental investment - both emotional and financial - is expected.

In this complex picture, if only one detail falls out of place, it can mean disaster. A sick childminder, a sick child, a dentist appointment: all mean cancelled meetings for career parents. There's no give in the system; no wonder one expert talked of dual-career families being a "controlled experiment in chaos". When a child develops a chronic health problem, the chaos is evident to all.

Given all these issues it is hardly surprising that many women end up - typically a few years into the child-bearing process - scrutinising very carefully their own motivation for wanting demanding careers. They weigh up the excitement and thrill of an adrenaline-fuelled career with the satisfactions of intimate emotional engagement with their children, and while many want a bit of both, most are very clear that if the two come into conflict, it's the former that may have to give. Also weighed into the balance is the relationship with their partner and here again, change has not been as deep or widespread as it sometimes appears - as some women will admit, many men's support for their 0 careers is at best half-hearted, and surprisingly often hostile, precisely because their own commitment to their careers depends on the woman holding the fort at home.

Keeping families together, relationships intact: it's these kinds of personal decisions that the Equalities Review (and much of government policy thinking) doesn't acknowledge. The stubbornly slow progress of women in many areas of public life is not just a story about discrimination, but also about how women choose to invest their time and energy - and the fact that these choices can be enormously beneficial to society in terms of the healthy emotional development of children, and increasingly, the care of elderly parents. It is only by giving proper recognition to the value of such caring contributions, that there is any hope of distributing the care burden more equally between men and women - the real pre-condition of a better deal for women

http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,2023662,00.html

Wulf

I wonder what difference it makes.

My first wife went out to work, she was tempted away by the Religion she found there.

My second Wife stayed at home, she did not work, not even at home. She was tempted away by one she spoke to on the internet.

I have great understanding for Women who stay at home looking after children, and those who work and still raise children. I have, almost single handed, raised six, and I am still raising one.

Love is to trust as trust is to love, you cannot have one without the other. Life partners should be able to reach accomodation and compromise in all matters concerning their relationship. I believe that men should accept that their partner is strong against temptation, and Likewise for Women about their Husbands.
If a wife is able to contribute, by her labour, towards the family finances, without compromising the family, it is the duty of the Husband to contribute some of his labour towards the home. Marriage is after all a partnership, where each share the burdens, as well as the Joys, of marriage.
My experience in Counselling has shown me that a jealous and insecure person will eventualy drive their partner from the home. Their Suspicions turn into a self fulfilling prophecy.

:wasalam:

Robin

hussain.mahammed

a lonely traveller
As salamu alaykum wa rahmatullahi wabrakatuhu

If the husband is happy only one person is happy but if the wife is happy the whole family is happy.

Although its totally the decision of the wife whether she likes to work or not, but I feel home is the best place. She can devote time for the kids especially. And when the husband is helping, looks after the babies at times, helps her in cooking, cleaning....it makes the whole atmosphere look good Subhan Allah.

May Allah guide us all.
wa/salam

umm hussain

Seriously, u do nt expect ur husband to do the breastfeeding , right??

In addition, Anas relates this hadith from al Tabarani:

Sallama, the nurse to the Prophet's (sallalahu aleyhi wa salaam) son Ibrahim said, 'O Messenger of God, you have brought tidings of all good things to men, but not to women.' He said, 'Did your women friends put you up to asking me this question?' 'Yes, they did,' she replied, and he said,' Does it not please any one of you that if she is pregnant by her husband and he is satisfied with that, she receives the reward of one who fasts and prays for the sake of Allah? And when her labor pains come, no one in the heavens or the earth knows what is concealed in her womb to delight her? And when she delivers, not a mouthful of milk flows from her, and not a suck does she give, but that she receives, for every mouthful and every suck the reward of one good deed. And if she is kept awake at night by her child, she receives the reward of one who frees seventy slaves for the sake of Allah.'"

Interesting
Source:http://www.modernmuslima.com/bffaq.htm

This are the advantageous of being a muslima mother...The guys do nt get it...I still do nt get it why some people think islam is not fair to females... MashAllah , u read the hadith above, a lot of benefits..And that is only for one child . What if she has 4 or 5... No way is islam unfair to the females... No way...

Alhamdulilah...
You do not get salary but inshAllah u get lots of good deeds...
:)

Please read carefully before you make assumptions, of course I don't expect my husband to breast feed. If you read my post carefully I am not complaining at all but merely stating that since he doesn't breastfeed or stay up with the children at night it is better for me to not work outside the house because if I do I will be doing double the work and as a result am too tired to fulfill my responsibilities at home I would rather do what comes naturally.

I never said Islam isn't fair on females so please dont twist my words. Men and women are biologically different and Islam gives women her roles and men his roles and I am 100% happy with that. NEVER have I thought being a man is better than being a woman and NEVER have I thought that Islam oppresses women. And no I am not a modern muslim nor a FEMINIST I follow Quran and Sunnah to the best of my ability inshallah

Thank you very much for the post on breastfeeding And I will pass it on to others who think formula milk is best. I believe and know breast milk is best that is why I continue doing it even though baby bites sometimes and I feel like I dont want to do it anymore.

I am not expecting a salary either, this is just in reference to people who think that staying at home is easy, no its not it is work as well, only difference is I dont get a salary at the end of the month but I get satisfaction knowing I am helping bringing up future Muslimahs inshallah, having my child recite Quran or memories 99names of Allah beats any salary I can ever earn and this increases in my good deeds as well inshallah.

You have totally misunderstood me.

Ahmed_2000

Servant of Allah
Assalaam Allaikum

wife can work if she wants to but dont neccesary have to work. because her first priorities is to raise kids because she is umm which comes from the route of imam , which means she is immam of the house. man's first proirity is to provide food , shelter, and other neccieties to his family. both can share the house work and raising the kids is boths wife and husbands job but wife is supposed to put more her effort in raising kids. now some women leave their kids to maids and work all day night. Maids dont raise the kids like a wife will do.allah has given both of them their responsibilities and both are different than one another. Women job is different than what men job is. both have different roles to play in the family or Else Allah wont make them different in nature. we would have seen same natured creatures in the world. in the end both of them will be asked by Allah if they played thier roles as they should have.

another thing if maid raises a kid then the kid many times doesnt get love of his parents and gets involoved in drugs and wastes his life . all because of his parents carelesness. so father and mother both have to look after the kid but they have differnt roles given by alllah.

husband has to share his earnings with wife and mother. but a wife earnings is all for herself. so how can non-mulslims and some ignorant muslims claim that islam opreses women. May Allah Guide them.

Walaikum Assalaam.

Love my islam

:salam2: sister umm _hussain
You are doing an excellent job as mother and wife. I am proud of you. May Allah help you and reward you for your intentions and deeds. May Allah guide all muslim mothers to follow quran and sunnah.

How many sisters would be/are happy to be confined to their domiciles?

I think the word confined is misleading. When we are at_home mother it doesnt mean we are at home 24/7 with no connection to outside world. We can have our own interests and hobies and so on.

suumaya

I am not married at the moment but when i do get married insha allah i want to stay home. i am really tired of working and the place i work they give me a hard time because i need to go pray 5 times and also they dont like what i wear, they want me to dress like them and i will never do that...

Ahmed_2000

Servant of Allah
I am not married at the moment but when i do get married insha allah i want to stay home. i am really tired of working and the place i work they give me a hard time because i need to go pray 5 times and also they dont like what i wear, they want me to dress like them and i will never do that...

Assalaam Allaikum

Mashaallah you have very strong Iman(Faith)

hussain.mahammed

a lonely traveller
May Allah make us all stronger in Eeman so that we strive in His way alone.
And my duas are always with the sincere brothers, fathers, sisters and mothers.
May Allah reward you all and grant you success in this dunya in striving for the Akhirah. May Allah make the mothers of believers as sincere examples to all the muslim mothers across the globe.
wa/salam