Adopt an orphan

All4Allah

Umm Noor-ud-din
Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatulahi wa barakatuhu

My husband and I thinking about to adopt an orphan from countries like Palestine,Afghanistan,Iraq etc. insha'Allah. I'm looking around on the internet and it is hard to find information about orphanages in these countries.I only see adoption from nonmuslim countries in particullar.I know it's not an easy procedure but does anyone know more information about this?

"I and the sponsor of an orphan will be like this in paradise", he (Prophet Muhammad - pbuh) joining his index and middle fingers together.

It is not piety that you turn your faces towards the east or west; but piety is the one who believes in Allah, the last day, the angels, the book, the Prophets, and gives his wealth, in spite of love for it, to the kinsfolk, to the orphans, and to the poor who beg, and to the wayfarer, and to those who ask... (2:177)

They ask you what they should spend. Say: whatever you spend of good must be for parents and kindred and orphans and the poor who beg and the wayfarers, and whatever you do of good deeds, truly Allah knows it well. (2:215)

The case of Zayd the adopted son of Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w.) Zayd was captured as a child during a raid, which was a norm before Islam. Khadija's nephew had brought him to her, and after she married Muhammad (s.a.w) she gave Zayd to him. At some point Zayd's actual family found out where Zayd was and went to Muhammad (s.a.w) to demand Zayds return. <keep in mind all this took place before Messengership and regulations> Zayd was given a choice and Zayd chose to stay with Muhammad(s.a.w), it was after this that Zayd was adopted and became known as Zayd Ibn (son of) Muhammad.
Than Allah decreed the following:
...Nor has He made your adopted sons your (real) sons; that is simply a saying of your mouths. But Allah speaks the truth and guides you to the (right way). Call them by their fathers names, that is more just in the sight of Allah. But if you do not know their fathers, they are your brothers in faith and your ward...(33:4-5)

It was after this revelation that Zayd was no longer known as Zayd ibn Muhammad. But was given the proper name; Zayd ibn Harithah.

:salam2:

BigAk

Yes... I also would like to know some info about this opportunity if it exists.

To the poster; I see nothing wrong with adopting from non-muslim countries.. The contrary actually; can you imagine how much reward you'll be gaining from Allah by raising a muslim son/daughter and saving them from following the wrong paths they would have followed being potentially raised as a non-muslim??...

I think a muslim orphan left an orphan will find paradise and will gain the hereafter at the very least even if he/she loses in this immediate life... A non-muslim orphan even adopted by a non-muslim will lose in both; the hereafter and this life.

I'd say adopt a non-muslim... Just a thought... :D

All4Allah

Umm Noor-ud-din

Sorry to say but my own people/ummah comes first.In countries like palestine which is one of the countries with the biggest number of orphans.I feel so sad for my muslim brothers and sisters there without parents.So i rather want to help a little muslim from there than from countries where they live in better circumstances.Although i also understand what you mean and thats also good what youve said,,but i stick with my opinion insha'Allah:)

ShyHijabi

Salaam,

While international adoption is a challenge it cna be done. While people would like to adopt from countries such as Palestine, Iraq, and Afghnistan, they are closed to international adoption for now. Given the instability of the areas they can't even meet the Hague convention parameters of becoming a country who can make their orphans available.

You can adopt from Pakistan, Morroco, and Napal presently. (Napal is exceptionally difficult though) All children are Muslim so saying we have to "take care of our own" doesn't really apply in this case. The most efficient and well designed international adoption areas right now are Korea, China, Guatamala, Vietnam, Khazakstan, and Russia. (I personally do not like Russia's system) I looked into international adoption for over 3 years so I am fairly versed in the different countries and their strengths and weaknesses.

The paperwork is extensive and the costs can be very high. (particularly for a "white" baby in Russia) The wait times vary as paperwork can sometimes take forever to be processed in other countries. If you are further interested I would suggest Googling "INternational adoption" and also whatever country of interest you have.

Wasalaam

~Sarah

xSharingan01x

TraVeLer

This is something I was very curious about too. Thanks for posting a wonderful thread. ! The amount of money we spent on small things (coffee, dining out, movies, etc..) can do so much! Our brothers and sisters in different parts of the world do not even see that little amount of money for the entire year!

I believe you can sponsor Orphans through Islamic Relief foundation (based on UK, however they have branches in USA too). It's a legitimate charity foundation, they even have flyers at my Masjid.
Here is a link to Islamic Relief.
http://www.islamic-relief.com/whatwedo/projectList.aspx?pjCatID=5

As you can see most of the countries listed are Muslim countries.

Here is the link to Islamic Relief USA chapter.
http://www.irw.org/orphandrive/
:wasalam:

All4Allah

Umm Noor-ud-din
DjazakAllah gair for the link (it's a good site masha'Allah)

Only i wanted to know about adopting and not only sponsoring from distance.
Gair insha'Allah.

GAZIJA

Staff member
Esselamu Aleikum,

This is a nice thought some of u sisters and brothers have regarding adoption of muslim children. However, adoption in islam is not same as it is known in the west. If you as a muslim wants to addopt a child, that child is not your mahram. If u adopt a child you have to tell that child, that he/she is adopted.

I hope this will help.

weselam

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) once said that a person who cares for an orphaned child will be in Paradise with him, and motioned to show that they would be as close as two fingers of a single hand. An orphan himself, Muhammad paid special attention to the care of children. He himself adopted a former slave and raised him with the same care as if he were his own son.

However, the Qur'an gives specific rules about the legal relationship between a child and his/her adoptive family. The child's biological family is never hidden; their ties to the child are never severed. The Qur'an specifically reminds adoptive parents that they are not the child's biological parents:

"...Nor has He made your adopted sons your (biological) sons. Such is (only) your (manner of) speech by your mouths. But Allah tells (you) the Truth, and He shows the (right) Way. Call them by (the names of) their fathers; that is juster in the sight of Allah. But if you know not their father's (names, call them) your brothers in faith, or your trustees. But there is no blame on you if you make a mistake therein. (What counts is) the intention of your hearts. And Allah is Oft-Returning, Most Merciful."

(Qur'an 33:4-5)

The guardian/child relationship has specific rules under Islamic law, which render the relationship a bit different than what is common adoption practice today. The Islamic term for what is commonly called adoption is kafala, which comes from a word that means "to feed." In essence, it describes more of a foster-parent relationship. Some of the rules in Islam surrounding this relationship:

- An adopted child retains his or her own biological family name (surname) and does not change his or her name to match that of the adoptive family.
- An adopted child inherits from his or her biological parents, not automatically from the adoptive parents.
- When the child is grown, members of the adoptive family are not considered blood relatives, and are therefore not muhrim to him or her. "Muhrim" refers to a specific legal relationship that regulates marriage and other aspects of life. Essentially, members of the adoptive family would be permissible as possible marriage partners, and rules of modesty exist between the grown child and adoptive family members of the opposite sex.
- If the child is provided with property/wealth from the biological family, adoptive parents are commanded to take care and not intermingle that property/wealth with their own. They serve merely as trustees.
These Islamic rules emphasize to the adoptive family that they are not taking the place of the biological family -- they are trustees and caretakers of someone else's child. Their role is very clearly defined, but nevertheless very valued and important.

It is also important to note that in Islam, the extended family network is vast and very strong. It is rare for a child to be completely orphaned, without a single family member to care for him or her. Islam places a great emphasis on the ties of kinship -- a completely abandoned child is practically unheard of. Islamic law would place an emphasis on locating a relative to care for the child, before allowing someone outside of the family, much less the community or country, to adopt and remove the child from his or her familial, cultural, and religious roots. This is especially important during times of war, famine, or economic crisis -- when families may be temporarily uprooted or divided.

"Did He not find you an orphan and give you shelter? And He found you wandering, and He gave you guidance. And He found you in need, and made you independent. Therefore, treat not the orphan with harshness, nor drive away a petitioner (unheard). But the bounty of the Lord - rehearse and proclaim!"

(Qur'an 93:6-11)

All4Allah

Umm Noor-ud-din
DjazakAllah.

yes that's true and i realize that if you have a adopted son you have to do hijab in front of him because he is ghair mahram, except if you become his fostermother and that means you breastfeed him as a baby.
And if i have a adopted doughter it means she have to do hijab infront of my husband so that is indeed something to think about.

But i was just wondering the procedure and if it's posible from countries like palestine.I quess my husband should call around from the websites that i found(islamrelief,humanappeal) or find out from some sources from the masjid.

ShyHijabi

Jazak Khair brother for the information. Actually we have discussed the parameters of adoption in Islam before on this board. Adoption is different in Islam but the positive results are very beneficial. Also, the child can be considered mahrem if they are breastfed. I like that Islam was instructive to "open adoption" 1400 years before anyone else. (the child being aware he/she was adopted.

Wasalaam

~Sarah

ShyHijabi

DjazakAllah.

yes that's true and i realize that if you have a adopted son you have to do hijab in front of him because he is ghair mahram, except if you become his fostermother and that means you breastfeed him as a baby.
And if i have a adopted doughter it means she have to do hijab infront of my husband so that is indeed something to think about.

But i was just wondering the procedure and if it's posible from countries like palestine.I quess my husband should call around from the websites that i found(islamrelief,humanappeal) or find out from some sources from the masjid.

Salaam,
I am writing to a friend in Palestine asking this question for you. (about the legality of adopting from Palestine) Breastfeeding does make the child mahrem to you, though I think you need to write to a scholar concerning if the child would mahrem to your husband)

Wasalaam

~Sarah

xSharingan01x

TraVeLer
DjazakAllah gair for the link (it's a good site masha'Allah)

Only i wanted to know about adopting and not only sponsoring from distance.
Gair insha'Allah.

aSaalamualai kum
Sorry,
I completely forgot that you wanted adoption. I didn't reply to your topic right away, and hence I got adoption and sponsoring confused.

wy laikum' saalam