Advice on Photography

*pink niqaabi*

Assalaamu alaikum just received this in an email from a sis and wanted to share it insha'allah. Not looking for any debates or opinions here...

A brief advice to the brothers and sisters, baarakAllaahu feekum:

Bismillaahir Rahmaanir Raheem

As-Salaamu alaykum wa rahamtullah wa barakaatuhu

Indeed in the hadith of tameem ad daarimee which is well known the Messenger of Allah sallallaahu alaihi wa sallam said:

‘Ad-Deen An-Naseehah, Ad-Deen An-Naseehah, Ad-Deen An-Naseehah’ Muslim

Allah says:

Let there arise out of you a group of people inviting to all that is good (Islâm), enjoining Al-Ma’rûf (i.e. Islâmic Monotheism and all that Islâm orders one to do) and forbidding Al-Munkar (polytheism and disbelief and all that Islâm has forbidden). And it is they who are the successful.

Aali Imran verse 104.

And He says:

He ( Muhammad sallallaahu alaihi wa sallam) commands them for Al-Ma’rûf (i.e. Islâmic Monotheism and all that Islâm has ordained); and forbids them from Al-Munkar (i.e. disbelief, polytheism of all kinds, and all that Islâm has forbidden); he allows them as lawful At-Taiyibât [(i.e. all good and lawful) as regards things, deeds, beliefs, persons, foods, etc.], and prohibits them as unlawful Al-Khabâ’ith (i.e. all evil and unlawful as regards things, deeds, beliefs, persons, foods, etc.)

Al A’raf verse 157

And in a Hadith the Messenger of Allah sallallaahu alaihi wa sallam said:

One of you does not truly believe until he loves for his brother that which he loves for himself.

Bukhaari & Muslim

And he sallallaahu alaihi wa sallam said

‘Verily one of you does not truly believe until I become more beloved to him than his father, his son and all the people.’ Bukhaari & Muslim

We at the Salafi Centre of Manchester would like to remind our honourable brothers and sisters of the great sin of image making, an issue that is so serious it is one of the Major Sins and as such it’s severity and grave nature has been related to us in many ahadith of the prophet sallaahu alaihi wa sallam, some of which will follow below, followed by Fatawa of the Scholars past and present.

Two of the most poignant ahadith are the following and will clearly highlight the severity of partaking in taking photos and worse still doing an action that is haraam and then displaying it to be seen, whether in the houses, or on any type of social media; i.e. facebook, twitter etc

The most severely punished people on the Day of Resurrection would be the image-makers.[Bukhaari and Muslim]

Every image-maker will be in the fire of Hell. A soul will be made for him for every image which he has made and it will punish him in the Hell-fire. [Muslim]

Ahadith from the Prophet sallallaahu’alaihiwasallam:

Allah’s Messenger said: “Those who make these images will be punished on the Day of Resurrection and it will be said to them, ‘Make alive what you have created.’” [Bukhaari and Muslim]

Narrated ’Aaishah radiyallaahu’anhaa: Allaah’s Messenger sallallaahu’alaihiwasallam returned from a journey when I had placed a curtain of mine having images over the door of a chamber of mine. When Allaah’s Messenger sallallaahu’alaihiwasallam saw it he tore it apart and said: “The people who will receive the severest punishment on the Day of Resurrection will be those who try to make the like of Allaah’s creation.” [Bukhaari]

The Prophet sallallaahu’alaihiwasallam forbade taking the price of blood, the price of a dog and the earnings of a prostitute. He also cursed the one who took or gave ribaa (interest), the lady who tattooed others or got herself tattoed, and the image maker. [Bukhaari]

The most severely punished people on the Day of Resurrection would be the image-makers. [Bukhaari and Muslim]

Every image-maker will be in the fire of Hell. A soul will be made for him for every image which he has made and it will punish him in the Hell-fire. [Muslim]

Allaah the Glorious and Exalted said, “Who is more a wrongdoer than one who tries to create creation like My creation. Let him create a small ant or a grain of wheat.” [Muslim]

Fatawa on the ruling of Photos:

Question:

What is the ruling on taking photographs, when they are for necessity and when they are for adornment?

Answer:

Pictures of living (humans and animals) are unlawful except for necessity. Examples of necessity include identity photos, passport photos, or photos of criminals for the purpose of identification and then arrest when they commit a crime or attempt to flee.

Permanent Committee for Research and Verdicts

Fatawa Islamiyah Darussalam Vol:8 page no .156

http://www.fatwaislam.com/fis/index.cfm?scn=fd&ID=1079

Imaam Muhammad Bin Saalih Al ‘Uthaimeen (rahimahullah)

Source: www.ibnothaimeen.com

Translator: Abu Yesmean Moslem Bin Usama

Q:

May Allah reward you; the questioner, Hasan Hussein, says: I’m a young man, and I love taking pictures and preserving them. An occasion doesn’t pass-by unless I’ve photographed it for the memories, and I preserve these pictures inside of an album; however, on many occasions, months pass without me ever opening the album to look at the pictures.

What’s the ruling on these pictures that I’ve taken and preserving them?

A:

It’s obligatory that you repent to Allah (‘Azz wa Jall) for your actions, and to burn all of the pictures that you’ve saved immediately; because it’s not permissible to preserve pictures for memory. Therefore, it’s upon you to burn the pictures after you’ve heard what I just told you, and I ask Allah to guide me and you, and for salvation from that which He hates.http://www.salafyink.com/fiqh/PhotographicMemorabilia.pdf

Question:

What is the ruling concerning hanging a picture on the wall? What is the ruling concerning owning pictures of people?

Answer:

It is not allowed to hang a picture or keep a picture of any being that possesses a soul. It is obligatory to destroy such pictures. This is because the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alaihi-wasallam) said,

“Do not leave any image, but [instead] efface it.” [1] It was confirmed in the hadith of Jabir radiyallaahu ‘anhu that,

“That because the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alaihi-wasallam) prohibited having pictures in houses.” [2]

Therefore, all pictures meant for remembrance should be torn to pieces or burnt. However, pictures that are needed out of necessity, such as for official identification purposes and so forth, may be kept.

[1] Recorded by Muslim.

[2] Recorded by Tirmidhi and Ahmed. Al-Albani says it is Sahih

Shaykh `Abdul-`Azeez Bin Baz

Islamic Fatawa Regarding Women – Darussalam Pg.41-42

http://www.fatwaislam.com/fis/index.cfm?scn=fd&ID=503

Question:

What is the ruling concerning taking pictures using a mobile phone considering some people say that it is just capturing a shadow and there is no prohibition in that, so what is the ruling concerning that?

Answer:

For HIM there is no prohibition in that, as for the Sunnah and the evidences then picture taking/making in general is Haraam (prohibited) and the picture maker is cursed. And he will receive from the most severest of punishments on the Day of Judgment. So what is it that takes the mobile phone out from this generality? The Messenger made picture making Haraam without exception by any means; (whether that be by way of ) a mobile phone, a camera, by hand(sculpting) or by drawing, he made it absolutely Haraam. So who is he that makes an exception from what the messenger sallallaahu alaihi wasallam said and attempts to redress the messenger. Apart from that the Muhaqqiqeen (verifiers) from the Scholars make an exception in the case of necessity, if a person is in need of taking a picture for a necessity then it is allowed due to this necessity due to His saying – the Most High:

(وقَدْ فَصَّلَ لَكُم مَّا حَرَّمَ عَلَيْكُمْ إلاَّ مَا اضْطُرِرْتُمْ إلَيْهِ )

while He has explained to you in detail what is forbidden to you, except under compulsion of necessity? [Surah al-'An'aam:119]

As for picture taking as a hobby or as a form of art by the use of the camera or by hand or by any object then it is Haraam and it is not allowed except in case of necessity only. In accordance to the necessity it is a concession. It is a concession due to a necessity only.

Shaykh Saalih al-Fawzaan

Taken from the Shaykhs lecture series:(Tafseer of Surah al-Hujuraat to Surah an-Naas) Monday 15 Shawwal 1427H.

http://www.fatwaislam.com/fis/index.cfm?scn=fd&ID=1381

Question:

When I go out on excursions with a group of friends, I take pictures to keep them as mementos. What is the ruling on taking pictures for this purpose?

Answer:

The ruling is this practice is that it is unlawful, that is, if the picture is taken of something with a sole (a human or an animal), The Prophet (sallallaahu alaihi wa sallam) said: The people who will be most severely punished on the Day of Judgement will be the picture-makers. [1] The Prophet (sallallaahu alaihi wa sallam) also cursed those who make pictures. As for taking pictures of things without a soul – a car, a plane, a tree, etc., – there is no harm in that. And with Allaah is the facilitation to do what is right.

[1] Al-Bukhari no. 5950 and Muslim no. 2109.

Shaykh `Abdul-`Azeez Bin Baz

Fatawa Islamiyah Vol. 8 Page 125

http://www.fatwaislam.com/fis/index.cfm?scn=fd&ID=1275

My dear brothers and sisters in Islaam this life is short and it is the place of action and increasing in good deeds and staying away from sins, and the hereafter is the place of accountability, where we will be held to account for that which we have done.

Do NOT underestimate the severity of this sin or the severity of the punishment due to this action, fear Allah oh muslims and repent to your Lord who is the Oft Forgiving but also know and remind yourselves that Allah is severe in punishment to those who transgress his limits, so repent to your lord and leave off this action of photography which has such a dangerous recompense for the one who does it,

May Allah give us and you success in this life and the next.

was salaamu alaykum wa rahmatullah wa barakaatuh

Abu Abdir Razaaq Amjad

Source

Aziboy

Banned
Allahu Akbar,

How serious and severe this matter is. May ALLAH protect us all ... Ameen !

Jazak Allahu Khair for Sharing this Sister

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
Assalamu'alaykum,

There's a difference of opinion on this.

pink niqabi said:
Assalaamu alaikum just received this in an email from a sis and wanted to share it insha'allah. Not looking for any debates or opinions here...
Wa-alaikum assalam,

Its all very well posting up one particular opinion, the one you happen to follow, but you must acknowledge the existence of the alternative, this isn't a question of debating anyone.

I'll post later unless someone else has already.

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
:salam2:
I have many photos of my childhood,my parents wanted to remember me when I was young.now I have some phoptos of my children in my mobile phone.....I somehow feel like I want to stop the time by looking a moment that won't come back.the photos of marriage?they are a good memory of the couple.if photos can't be taken,how many other thing can't we do?I suppose that with the advancing of technology,we could make a good use of it.

helpinghumanity

If the imaging in general is haram, then the entire virtual world is haram as well. This also includes TurnToIslam and other Islamic websites as well as they themselves are bunch of interconnected images.

If that is true then the entire youtube and all other Islamic channels are haram as well.

There was a time when speakers/microphones were said to be haram. And now look around almost all the masajids are benefiting from them. Inshallah I will comment on the hadith later

Jazakumullah khaiurn

P.S:
I am not saying that they are haram. Please read in context

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
I concur with sister al-fajr. It's all well and good that people hold the view that photos are haraam, but to push the opinion on other people who hold a valid opinion is wrong

Idris16

If the imaging in general is haram, then the entire virtual world is haram as well. This also includes TurnToIslam and other Islamic websites as well as they themselves are bunch of interconnected images.

If that is true then the entire youtube and all other Islamic channels are haram as well.

There was a time when speakers/microphones were said to be haram. And now look around almost all the masajids are benefiting from them. Inshallah I will comment on the hadith later

Jazakumullah khaiurn

P.S:
I am not saying that they are haram. Please read in context
wa alaykum salam warahmatullah wabarakatuh

Ibn Uthaymeen believed photos of human beings to be haram and in other cases permissible, but he believed videos to be permissible. But what kind of images are you talking about?

I concur with sister al-fajr. It's all well and good that people hold the view that photos are haraam, but to push the opinion on other people who hold a valid opinion is wrong
I agree, but how come people bring their cameras on Eid? They should respect the Muslims who do not want to get recorded by cameras, and they should stop taking pictures as well, masjids are for worship and not entertainment.

*pink niqaabi*

Hayat84, even the scholars who do permit taking photos do NOT permit keeping photos for memory/entertainment.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwH3LP6hxms[/ame]

*pink niqaabi*

Ibn Uthaymeen who did permit taking photos and FORBID keeping photos (except in neccessity i.e. passport photo) also went on to say that even though he holds this view IT IS BETTER TO AVOID IT BECAUSE IT IS OF THE DOUBTFUL MATTERS.

Narrated An-Nu'man bin Bashir: I heard Allah's Apostle saying, 'Both legal and illegal things are evident but in between them there are doubtful (suspicious) things and most of the people have no knowledge about them. So whoever saves himself from these suspicious things saves his religion and his honor. And whoever indulges in these suspicious things is like a shepherd who grazes (his animals) near the Hima (private pasture) of someone else and at any moment he is liable to get in it. (O people!) Beware! Every king has a Hima and the Hima of Allah on the earth is His illegal (forbidden) things. Beware! There is a piece of flesh in the body if it becomes good (reformed) the whole body becomes good but if it gets spoilt the whole body gets spoilt and that is the heart. [Bukhari]

To follow an opinion to say whether something is halal or haram we must have actually looked into it and understood the textual evidences and truly believe we are following the correct opinion not just following an opinion because it happens suit us and fulfill our desires. A lot of people say they follow an opinion and don't even know the scholar's name who permitted or forbid the thing!

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
Ibn Uthaymeen who did permit taking photos and FORBID keeping photos (except in neccessity i.e. passport photo) also went on to say that even though he holds this view IT IS BETTER TO AVOID IT BECAUSE IT IS OF THE DOUBTFUL MATTERS.

Could you kindly reference the bolded parts, as you mentioned shaykh Ibn `Uthaymeen said that.

To follow an opinion to say whether something is halal or haram we must have actually looked into it and understood the textual evidences and truly believe we are following the correct opinion not just following an opinion because it happens suit us and fulfill our desires.

And may I ask, how will a layman be able to look into the textual evidences and understand them? On top of that come to the conclusion that it is the correct opinion?

I agree he shouldn't be seeking fataawa that suits his desires though.

*pink niqaabi*

Ok in these 2 videos i've posted Abu Mussab reads this out loud from Uthaymeen's fatwa, and the other point about reading the textual evidences is also explained by Abu Mussab in one of the videos. As any other subject of Islam, we can look into the textual evidences by reading books on the subject, watch lectures or we can consult a reliable student of knowledge or sheikh to explain to us the stance of the Ulema and their evidences. Here is the other video:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qBcn1OLzYQ[/ame]

*pink niqaabi*

Nowadays there's also many books out that explain in particular the 4 Imams' stances on Islamic issues also like the Muwatta of Imam Malik, Al-Umda fi l-fiqh of Imam Ahmad, a bit on Imam Sha'afi and plenty on Hanafi fiqh all available in English maasha'allah

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
Hayat84, even the scholars who do permit taking photos do NOT permit keeping photos for memory/entertainment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwH3LP6hxms

how many times I've said that taking photos is haram?now I have no more photos with me,I was aware of this rule and I agree,at the point that I chose to exchange my samsung touch sreen with another phone with normal functions.let's see now if everybody here has got only an old mobile phone and if nobody takes photos just to spend some time.the technology is so advanced,that it's difficult to avoid it,even if it's haram.

I spent a week in the house of my husband's mother,far from the city,the so-called "'arobiya"(the country with only sand and rocks,where the only 2 witnesses are Allah and the constant wind)
I can say that I forgot any kind of technological objects like phones,cameras and television,and I was happy.
I've seen somebody kissing the photo of a dear person.ana,bil haqq,khaifa min hdak shay,rubbaman lyauma qyyama qarib lina.:astag:

*pink niqaabi*

Sister, nowhere in this thread have you said taking photos is haram..unless you're talking about previous threads which i haven't read from the past. I don't have an old phone, as long as its pink im pretty much content, and it has a brilliant camera maasha'allah but to be honest if you know its haraam you don't even think of using it, you forget its there. If anything its probably the peer pressure from others around us who are constantly taking photos to upload them onto social networking sites etc which can make it difficult for some. But its very simple to avoid, just don't click on the camera!

Idris16

People should stop play with the fatwa of Ibn Uthaymeen on photos. I will explain to you all what Ibn Uthaymeen really meant with photos being permissible.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen said:

With regard to pictures made in the modern fashion, they fall into two categories:

The first category is those which have no tangible substance (and can only be seen by running them through a machine), as I was told is the case with pictures on video tapes. There is no ruling at all concerning these, and they do not come under the prohibition at all. Hence the scholars who forbid making pictures with cameras on paper (photographs) permitted this (video pictures), and said that there is nothing wrong with this. Then it was asked, is it permissible to film lectures which are given in the mosques? The (scholarly) view was that it is better not to do that, because it may disturb the worshippers and because they may film things that may not be appropriate, and so on.

The second category is fixed or still pictures on paper (photographs) …

But the matter needs further discussion if one wants to make these kind of permissible pictures. For they are subject to five rulings which depend on the intention. If the intention is something forbidden, then it is haraam. If he intends something waajib (obligatory), then it is waajib.

Sometimes pictures may be essential, especially moving pictures. For example, if we see someone in the act of committing a crime against a person’s rights, such as an attempt to kill and so on, and we cannot prove it in any way but by taking pictures, then in this case taking pictures becomes waajib, especially in cases where pictures may decide the case.

The means are subject to the rulings on the ends. If we make these pictures in order to prove the identity of a person for fear that someone else may be accused of the crime, this is also acceptable, indeed it is essential.

But if we take these pictures just to enjoy looking at them, this is undoubtedly haraam... And Allaah knows best.” (See Al-Sharh al-Mumti’, 2/197-199)

In the 1st category Ibn Uthaymeen was talking about non-tangible pictures, tangible means "capable of being touched"; pictures in videos can't be touched, so Ibn Uthaymin says videos are permissible. And also pictures in computers since we cant touch the pics in the computer unless we print it out of course.

In the 2nd category Ibn Uthaymin explained what kind of tangible pictures were permissible and not permissible. An example of permissible pictures are:

For example, if we see someone in the act of committing a crime against a person’s rights, such as an attempt to kill and so on, and we cannot prove it in any way but by taking pictures, then in this case taking pictures becomes waajib, especially in cases where pictures may decide the case.

If we make these pictures in order to prove the identity of a person for fear that someone else may be accused of the crime, this is also acceptable, indeed it is essential.

An example of forbidden pictures:

But if we take these pictures just to enjoy looking at them, this is undoubtedly haraam... And Allaah knows best.”

And to in order to say that photographs are allowed, a condition must be met that they do not lead to what is forbidden, because the permissible things that lead to the forbidden are in turn forbidden. The means have the ruling of the ends.

So, for example, we do not see that it is allowed for a person to take these pictures in order to preserve memories because of what this contains of possession of a picture that we fear might fall under the saying of the Prophet: “The Angels do not enter a house in which there is a picture.” http://theauthenticbase.wordpress.c...een-a-picture-and-a-photograph-ibn-uthaymeen/

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
I not only don't wish to approach to this thing.but I one day maybe stop using internet at all.I just do it because I need to understand,to learn and to see my parents,whao are far from me,
if my parents weren't alive I would have had nothing to lose.it's like knowing that the fire can help you and in the meanwhile it can also harm you.yesterday I watched a news about the saudi arabia,where it has been invented a new kind of tablet,super technologic,what would you think seeing those white dressed men while showing their new invention?Me,I stay out from this matter,just wanted to share how good I felt those days,without any technological middle:blackhijab:

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
Ok in these 2 videos i've posted Abu Mussab reads this out loud from Uthaymeen's fatwa, and the other point about reading the textual evidences is also explained by Abu Mussab in one of the videos. As any other subject of Islam, we can look into the textual evidences by reading books on the subject, watch lectures or we can consult a reliable student of knowledge or sheikh to explain to us the stance of the Ulema and their evidences.

BaarakAllaahu feek.

I would like to make a few comments, and before I make these comments I would like to mention that I personally avoid photographs.

Firstly, I would like to mention that the photos that are taken which are not on paper (i.e. a tangile photograph) but rather on a computer screen... then many scholars who prohibit tangible photographs allow this sort of photos (i.e. those that appear on computer etc.). Shaykh Ibn `Uthaymeen said:

The first category is those which have no tangible substance (and can only be seen by running them through a machine), as I was told is the case with pictures on video tapes. There is no ruling at all concerning these, and they do not come under the prohibition at all. Hence the scholars who forbid making pictures with cameras on paper (photographs) permitted this (video pictures), and said that there is nothing wrong with this. Then it was asked, is it permissible to film lectures which are given in the mosques? The (scholarly) view was that it is better not to do that, because it may disturb the worshippers and because they may film things that may not be appropriate, and so on.

Source: http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/10326

Secondly, I agree a lot of scholars do prohibit 'tangible' photos but let us not forget that we cannot force this opinion down people's throats (who differ with you). This is mainly because scholars have differed on the ruling of tangible photos and the masaa'il related to tangible photos are something that is contemporary and thus subject to the ijtihaad of scholars.

From the scholars who do permit photos are the likes of Shaykh Ibn `Uthaymeen, his student: Shaykh Khalid al-Muslih, Shaykh `Uthmaan al-Khumais, shaykh Sa`ad al-Kathlaan and others.

Shaykh Ibn `Uthaymeen's fatwa is as follows:

“…Any pictures that are carved out of wood or rock, or made of mud or clay or anything similar, are all forbidden if they are images of living creatures that have souls because of their imitation of the Creation of Allah – the Mighty and Majestic. And in the authentic hadith is that the Messenger of Allah cursed the image-makers, and to be cursed is to be expelled and far-removed from the Mercy of Allah. And in the hadith qudsi also is that Allah – the Exalted – said:

“And who is more oppressive than the one who went and created as I have Created! So, let them create an atom, or let them create a mustard seed, or let them create a fiber.”

And also, in the authentic hadith: “The people who will be tortured most on the Day of Resurrection are the image-makers who imitate the Creation of Allah. It will be said to them: ‘Bring life to what you have made.’”

And the proofs for this are many, and from the image-making that this warning applies to – according to the strongest opinion – is that which takes place when a human being draws an image of a creature with a soul by hand. This falls under the image-making that is warned against, and it is a sin from amongst the major sins.

As for the image-making that takes place using instant cameras, this does not appear to fall under this, because the photographer does not draw out or try to imitate the Creation of Allah. Because of this, if some people are presented with a photograph that has been taken, you will not find them saying: ‘How good is this photographer! How excellent is he!’ But, if they are presented with a hand-drawn picture that closely resembles what was being drawn, they will say: ‘How good is this artist! How excellent is he!’ So, this proves that there is a difference between drawing the picture by hand and taking it using a camera.

And this is also proven by the fact that if a person writes something by hand and a photocopy is made of it, the people will not ascribe this writing to the one who made the photocopy of it. Rather, they will ascribe it to the one who originally wrote it, and people still preserve copyrights in this manner. They would not say that this person who made the photocopy did a good job of copying the writing precisely using this innovative technology. In fact, a blind man can be given this task, or a man can perform this task in the dark.

However, if a man copies the handwriting of the original writer by hand so that the people think that it was the original writing itself, the people would then say: ‘How innovative he is! How excellent he is! How did he copy this handwriting so precisely?’ And with the likes of these examples, it becomes clear that photographic imagery is not image-making that can be truly ascribed to the one who took the picture, and it cannot be said that this is imitation of the Creation of Allah because he did not create anything.

And to in order to say that photographs are allowed, a condition must be met that they do not lead to what is forbidden, because the permissible things that lead to the forbidden are in turn forbidden. The means have the ruling of the ends. So, for example, we do not see that it is allowed for a person to take these pictures in order to preserve memories because of what this contains of possession of a picture that we fear might fall under the saying of the Prophet: “The Angels do not enter a house in which there is a picture.”

And finally, shaykh Ibn `Uthaymeen did mention that it is better to avoid it... but this is not the same as saying that it is haraam.

Somethings like hanging pictures on house walls, would be something that generally most of the scholars don't allow. But as for pictures/photos on computers this is largely disputed by scholars who even prohibit it.

And may I ask, how will a layman be able to look into the textual evidences and understand them? On top of that come to the conclusion that it is the correct opinion?

I agree he shouldn't be seeking fataawa that suits his desires though.

Respected sister pink niqaabi, you haven't addressed the above questions. So, could you kindly address the above questions please.

BaarakAllaahu feek.

Mohamad Fazril

Assalamualaikum, from what I had thought about the hadtith. It is wrong if taking pictures with the intent of showing off. It is worse if it contain human picture (especially if it the person is not hiding he/her aurah), because other may see it even after the person had die (the picture will bring continuous sin to the person). But if the picture is taken for important thing like in newspaper, books or even for remembering a person (I'm not sure if this is allow), then it may permissible to take it. Pictures help in identified great ulama or leader which may help muslim especially youngster to know them much better.

*pink niqaabi*

Thariq, i posted the response clearly in my last 2 comments on how to look at the textual evidences and understand them, plz re-read inshallah.