Al-Qaida plotted post 9/11 attacks on US, leaked files show

Aroosak

Dear sister JenGiove
Thank you for shedding some light in this issue
I would not talk about politics something I am not well versed in either. I think what your question is the mixed reactions to events that involved 'muslims' either positively or negatively. First i don't think a few Muslims in tti or anywhere else could be counted as a whole for the opinions of the whole Ummah. As you may have seen we come from different backgrounds and have different opinions.
But to attempt to answer your question my theory from my own experience and observing others is that sometimes we do it as a defense mechanism. And I don't want to talk about all Muslims here but some of us feel constantly threatened by both the media and people around us. Is this constant feeling that our religion is under attack and that we are not 'welcomed' So as a natural psychological response we tend to both reassure ourselves and the world that this is not the case. As a brother pointed out Islam is perfect but we Muslims are not. I bet many people just saw the title 'AlQaeda' and skipped this thread since after 9/11 it has become a daily reminder of what is being portrayed as what Muslims are.
So even if it should be right to be against those who had help give us a bad name as you may see it is not an easy task.
I think by having open discussions about this and other topics we can learn to see different points of views and learn from each other inshallah

JenGiove

Dear sister JenGiove
Thank you for shedding some light in this issue
I would not talk about politics something I am not well versed in either. I think what your question is the mixed reactions to events that involved 'muslims' either positively or negatively. First i don't think a few Muslims in tti or anywhere else could be counted as a whole for the opinions of the whole Ummah. As you may have seen we come from different backgrounds and have different opinions.
But to attempt to answer your question my theory from my own experience and observing others is that sometimes we do it as a defense mechanism. And I don't want to talk about all Muslims here but some of us feel constantly threatened by both the media and people around us. Is this constant feeling that our religion is under attack and that we are not 'welcomed' So as a natural psychological response we tend to both reassure ourselves and the world that this is not the case. As a brother pointed out Islam is perfect but we Muslims are not. I bet many people just saw the title 'AlQaeda' and skipped this thread since after 9/11 it has become a daily reminder of what is being portrayed as what Muslims are.
So even if it should be right to be against those who had help give us a bad name as you may see it is not an easy task.
I think by having open discussions about this and other topics we can learn to see different points of views and learn from each other inshallah

:salam2: Dear sister,

Jazakallah khair! I completely understand your frustration over what is perceived as the attacks on Islam. I too have seen it, heard it and have actively tried to correct those misconceptions as I encounter them. My FB page is covered with Islamic teaching and Muslim friends. I talk about Islam to all my non-Muslim friends and when I hear someone talking negatively about Islam, I immediately refute their statements as best as I can. I have even driven my husband nuts from all the Islamic related tv watching...lol! I love learning about Islam and constantly find things that seem quite logical and understandable. Sometimes, I run across things that I don't understand or that bristles my hairs. In THOSE moments, I seek out knowledgeable people here to help me understand. Once, a Sister used a term that, here in the west, is used as 'proof' that Islam teaches violence. I was appauled at what she had said. ALHUMDULLILAH I waited, did not jump to conclusions and asked her to describe what she meant. As we all know, the translation of the meaning of the Qur'an does not accurately convey into other languages the MEANING and INTENT of the words. I always try to keep that in mind when speaking with people who's language is not my own native English and it has helped me greatly.

You mentioned "First i don't think a few Muslims in tti or anywhere else could be counted as a whole for the opinions of the whole Ummah. As you may have seen we come from different backgrounds and have different opinions". I'm the only non-Muslim on this site that posts and I can tell you that *I've* been made to feel, at times, like I have to answer for the crimes of the West. When I try to correct a misconception of the West or the policies of America, and you can't tell me that there are none, my points are not taken as valid or reasonable and not worth listening to with an open mind. Just as each member of the Ummah comes from different backgrounds, education, experience and opinions, the same it true of the West. I will not deny that some soldiers commit obscene horrors upon the people in lands not their own, but I can assure you, THOSE people are the soil on our shoes and is not tolerated or endorsed. I've posted articles about the trials of some of these instances because I know it is something that the members here have a concern about.

Most people here in America are more concerned about feeding their kids, keeping a roof over their heads and keeping their jobs then in learning the truth about a VERY complicated religion that they have no interest in reverting to. They just don't have the time.

I don't like it when the news says "Muslim terrorists" because *I* know that these people have distorted Islam for their own needs. To me, its like hearing someone say "that retarded guy". The person comes first...."the guy IS deaf"..."the terrorist IS Muslim"....but then again, you might ask "why is them being Muslim an issue? Why is it even mentioned?". Why? Because they are using the sword of Islam for their own distorted needs and desires. THEY brought it up.

I've been told many times, "speak up! speak out against these atrocities! Don't allow this to continue!". I would say the same thing to you. "Speak up and out about the distortions of Islam that hurt people who did not directly cause harm to Muslims or Islam. Do not allow this to continue.". Sure, fight those who look at you with hate simply because you are different, but it may just be because they hate EVERYONE who is different and not because you are Muslim. Sometimes, its just that simple.