Allaah Has Named us Muslims, So Why Ascribe Ourselves to the Salaf?

Ghareebah

Bint Abdulkadir
:salam2:

Allaah Has Named us Muslims, So Why Ascribe Ourselves to the Salaf

This doubt was very beatifully answered by Imaam al-Albaani in his discussion with someone on this subject, recorded on the cassette entitled, "I am Salafi", and here is a presentation of the vital parts of it:

Shaikh al-Albaani: "When it is said to you, ‘What is your madhhab’, what is your reply?"

Questioner: "A Muslim".

Shaikh al-Albaani: "This is not sufficient!".

Questioner: "Allaah has named us Muslims" and he recited the saying of Allaah Most High, "He is the one who has called you Muslims beforehand." (al-Hajj 22:78)

Shaikh al-Albaani: "This would be a correct answer if we were in the very first times (of Islaam) before the sects had appeared and spread. But if we were to ask, now, any Muslim from any of these sects with which we differ on account of aqeedah, his answer would not be any different to this word. All of them – the Shi’ite Rafidi, the Khaariji, the Nusayri Alawi – would say, "I am a Muslim". Hence, this is not sufficient in these days."

Questioner: "In that case I say, I am a Muslim upon the Book and the Sunnah."

Shaikh al-Albaani: "This is not sufficient either".

Questioner: "Why?"

Shaikh al-Albaani: "Do you find any of those whom we have just mentioned by way of example saying, ‘I am a Muslim who is not upon the Book and the Sunnah’?" Who is the one who says, ‘I am not upon the Book and the Sunnah’?"

At this point the Shaikh then began to explain in detail the importance of being upon the Book and the Sunnah in light of the understanding of the Salaf us-Saalih…

Questioner: "In that case I am a Muslim upon the Book and the Sunnah with the understanding of the Salaf us-Saalih".

Shaikh al-Albaani: "When a person asks you about your madhhab, is this what you will say to him?"

Questioner: "Yes".

Shaikh al-Albaani: "What is your view that we shorten this phrase in the language, since the best words are those that are few but indicated the desired intent, so we say, ‘Salafi’?" End of quotation.

Hence, the point is that naming with "Muslim" or "Sunni" is not enough, since everyone will claim that. And Imaam al-Albaani emphasised the importance of the truth being distinguished from the falsehood – from the point of view of the basis of manhaj and aqidah, and that is taking from the Salaf us-Saalih, as opposed to the various sects and groups whose understandings are based upon those of their mentors and leaders and not that of the Salaf, fundamentally.

http://salafeegem.wordpress.com/

shaheeda35

strive4Jannah
:salam2:
This is what makes us so divided, mashallah! We separate ourselves into groups which causes fitnah within the ummah. We are muslims, and that is all that should be said. I AM A MUSLIM ALHAMDULLILAH!

~niyqaabiy~

Sami'gna wa ato'gna
:wasalam:

Anaa Muslimah, al'hamduwlillaah!

Sheikh al-Islaam Ibn Taymiyyah said:

"It is self-delusion to say 'I am saved' and not pessimistic, for example being too secure saying 'I have the attributes of the salaf, I am saved', We still have to humble ourselves and not to say that we have the attributes of the Salaf. So I say to these people, not everybody who opposes me a thing from this path will become one of those who will perish, for verily the disputer may be a mujtahid who was wrong, and Allaah will forgive him his mistakes. Or maybe the proof did not reach him, enough to satisfy his needs (i.e. to understand it). Or maybe he has enough good deeds in which Allaah will wipe away his bad deeds."

"O you who believe!
Do not put (yourselves) forward
before Allâh and His Messenger (SAW),
and fear Allâh.
Verily! Allâh is All-Hearing, All-Knowing."

[Surah al-Hujuraat 49:1].

"And hold fast, all of you together,
to the Rope of Allâh (i.e. this Qur'ân),
and be not divided among yourselves,
and remember Allâh's Favour on you,
for you were enemies one to another
but He joined your hearts together,
so that, by His Grace,
you became brethren (in Islâmic Faith),
and you were on the brink of a pit of Fire,
and He saved you from it.
Thus Allâh makes His Ayât
(proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.,) clear to you,
that you may be guided."

[Surah Al-Imrân 3:103].

Muslim - Whereas a person of a sect may improperly refer to himself as a Shia, Sufi, etc., those who adhere to dawat-us-salafiyyah describe themself as a "Muslim" whose minhaj (methodology/system) is Qur'an and Sunnah and madhdhab (way) is that of the salaf. There is ample proof to say it is more than sufficient to call oneself simply a Muslim.

"And strive hard
in Allâh's Cause as you ought to strive
(with sincerity and with all your efforts that His Name should be superior).
He has chosen you
(to convey His Message of Islâmic Monotheism
to mankind by inviting them to His religion, Islâm),
and has not laid upon you in religion any hardship,
it is the religion
of your father Ibrahim (Abraham) (Islâmic Monotheism).
It is He (Allâh) Who has named you Muslims
both before and in this (the Qur'ân),
that the Messenger (Muhammad SAW) may be a witness over you
and you be witnesses over mankind!
So perform As-Salât (Iqamat-as-Salât),
give Zakât
and hold fast to Allâh
[i.e. have confidence in Allâh, and depend upon Him in all your affairs]
He is your Maula (Patron, Lord, etc.),
what an Excellent Maula (Patron, Lord, etc.)
and what an Excellent Helper!

[Surah Al-Imrân 3:78]​

Shaykhul-Islaam Ibn Taimiyyah reported that one of the Salaf (Pious Predecessors) said,

"I do not mind which out of the two blessings was greater. that Allaah guided me to Islaam, or that he kept me away from these innovated sects. By Allaah , the Most High, in the Qur'aan He called us the Muslims, the Believers and the Worshippers of Allaah, so we will not leave the manes which Allaah has names us with in favour of names innovated by the people which they call themselves by and also their forefathers for which Allaah has send down no proof".

(In al-Wasiyyatul-Kubraa.Taken from the Book Forty Hadeeth On: The Call to Islam and the Caller By Shaikh 'Alee Hasan 'Alee 'Abdul Hameed)

Abu-I Aas, r.a., a companion of the Prophet (saaws) said:

"Since I have now handed over to you what is rightfully yours, I now declare that there is no god but Allaah and that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allaah. By God, the only thing that prevented me from declaring my acceptance of Islam while I was with Muhammad in Madinah was my fear that you would think that I did so only to appropriate your wealth. Now that I have discharged my trust in this matter, I now declare that I am a Muslim."

Ikrimah, r.a., a companion of the Prophet (saaws) said:

"I testify that there is no god but Allah and that Muhammad is His servant and His messenger." The Prophet (saaws) then instructed him to say, "I call on God and those present here to witness that I am a Muslim who is a Mujahid and a Muhajir".

The Apostle of Allah (peace be upon him) commanded to kill him, he was a spy of Abu Sufyan and an ally of a man of the Ansar. He passed a circle of the Ansar and said: I am a Muslim. A man from the Ansar said, Apostle of Allah, he is saying that he is a Muslim. The Apostle of Allah (peace be upon him) said: There are people among you in whose faith we trust. Furat ibn Hayyan is one of them. [Abu Dawood #2646, Narrated Furat ibn Hayyan]

Then when 'Iesa (Jesus) came to know of their disbelief, he said:

"Who will be my helpers in Allâh's Cause?" Al-Hawâriûn (the disciples) said: "We are the helpers of Allâh; we believe in Allâh, and bear witness that we are Muslims (i.e. we submit to Allâh)."
[Surah Al-Imrân 3:52]

island muslim

Ruling on belonging to Islamic groups
I am confused about the Islamic groups that exist. I believe that the Salafees and the Ahlul Hadeeth are the closest to the Sunnah.
Is it a must that you follow or belong to a group?.

Praise be to Allaah.
It is not essential for the Muslim to follow anyone in the sense that he accepts everything that he says or does, apart from the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). As for anyone other than the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), we may take or leave whatever he says, as Imam Maalik (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “The words of everyone may be taken or left, apart from the occupant of this grave,” and he pointed to the grave of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).

With regard to joining some group or other, there is no doubt that Allaah and His Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) have enjoined us to be with the jamaa’ah (main body) of the Muslims. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The hand of Allaah is with the jamaa’ah.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi (2167) and classed as saheeh by al-Albaani. And he said: “You must stay with the jamaa’ah, for the wolf eats the sheep that wanders off alone.” Narrated by al-Nasaa’i, 847 and classed as hasan by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Nasaa’i. And he said: “The Shaytaan is with one, but he is further away from two.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 2165; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi. And there are many ahaadeeth on this topic.

Undoubtedly it is prescribed for the Muslim to cooperate with a group of his brothers in obeying Allaah and His Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) with regard to matters such as enjoining what is good and forbidding what is evil, calling others to Allaah, seeking knowledge and encouraging one another to adhere to the truth and be patient, etc. In this manner a person can protect himself against the Shaytaan as indicated in the ahaadeeth quoted above. This is included in the words of Allaah (interpretation of the meaning):

“By Al‑‘Asr (the time).

2. Verily, man is in loss,

3. Except those who believe (in Islamic Monotheism) and do righteous good deeds, and recommend one another to the truth, and recommend one another to patience”

[al-‘Asr 103:1-3]

But if what the questioner means is joining a group in the sense of thinking that this is the only group that is following the truth and that all others are following falsehood, loving those who follow this group with him and hating others – as happens with many of those who are members of these groups nowadays, then this is a kind of injustice which Allaah and His Messenger, and the believers, do not like, and which only makes the ummah more fragmented and weak. Rather the believers love all the believers, as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Verily, your Wali (Protector or Helper) is none other than Allaah, His Messenger, and the believers”

[al-Maa’idah 5:55]

“The believers are nothing else than brothers (in Islamic religion)”

[al-Hujuraat 49:10]

And the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The Muslim is the brother of his fellow Muslim.” All of these groups which are agreed upon the bases of Ahl al-Sunnah wa’l-Jamaa’ah are defending Islam one way or another. No one group has a monopoly on the truth, and the call to Allaah (da’wah) needs the efforts of all of them and more.

The believer loves and supports all the believers and cooperates with them in obeying Allaah, even if they are far away from him, and he refrains from helping them to disobey Allaah, even if they are the closest of people to him.

Shaykh Ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him was asked about the ruling on joining Islamic groups and following the methodology of a particular group and not others. He replied:

It is obligatory on every person to adhere to the truth, what Allaah and His Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, not to adhere to the methodology of any group, whether it is the Ikhwan al-Muslimeen or Ansaar al-Sunnah or any other group. He should adhere to the truth. If he joins the Ansaar al-Sunnah and helps them with regard matters in which they are following to the truth, or he joins the Ikhwaan al-Muslimeen and agrees with them on matters in which they are following the truth, without going to extremes or being negligent, there is nothing wrong with that. But if he adheres to their set of beliefs and never deviates from it, this is not permitted. He has to follow the truth wherever it leads him. If the truth is with the Ikhwaan al-Muslimeen, he has to follow it, and if it is with the Ansaar al-Sunnah, he has to follow it, and if it is with another group, he has to follow it. He has to follow the truth, and help all other groups with regard to the truth, but he should not adhere to a particular way of thinking never forsaking it even if it turns out to be false or mistaken. That is wrong, and is not permitted. He should be with the group in every way in which they are correct, and not with them in the matters in which they are wrong.
Majmoo’ Fataawa wa Maqaalaat Mutanaawi’ah li Samaahat al-Shaykh al-‘Allaamah ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him), p. 237.

Islam Q&A

link to fatwa:
http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/12491

Oem Soufiane

I am a muslim hoping to belong to ahlussunnah wal jama'a, and ascribe myself to salafy manhaj.

Here in Holland is a group of people calling themselves salafi while they are takfiri's with a list of scholars you shouldn't listen to, so every title gets captured, that is why I cal myself a muslim-following-the sunnah,-trying-to-do-it-in-the-same-way-as-the-salaf, can't make it shorter.

syahidah2112

wanna be shalehah
Hi All,

one question, I think the term/name "ahlussunah wal jamaah" actually doesn't refer to a sect, which is like Ikhwan Muslimun, Jamaah Tabliigh. But it refers to people who follow the sunnah, the same way as the salaf generation did. Am I right? So, if we dont become a member of a group named "Salafy" we still can claim ourselves as ahlu sunnah wal jamaah as long as we follow the salaf's way to follow Muhammad pbuh. Am I right?

island muslim

I am a MUSLIM alhamdulillah upon the quran and the sunnah as followed by the rightly guided first three generations , salaf ah saliheen

Ghareebah

Bint Abdulkadir
salam alaykum

it seems everyone didnt get the post fully and assumed that calling yourself ahlul sunnah wal jama'ah or salafi is innovated sect, which it isnt ..salafiyah is not something invented and labeling yourself MUSLIM only is not enough as i said before because the sufi,shia and other deviated sects will claim to be muslim too.....So What is the call of Da'watus-Salafiyah? It is the pure religion which calls to Tawheed (singling out Allaah) and sincerity of worship. The call of all the prophets and messengers. --Allaamah Ubayd al-Jaabiree

Is it another party/group?

No it is NOT a party from among the parties, regardless of what people may claim. It is only an ascription to the Salafus-Saalih and their methodology, and calling to this noble methodology. It has NO Imaam, except for Abul-Qaasim Muhammad ibn Abdillaah sallallaahu alaihi wa sallam.

Shaikh Salih al-Fawzaan was asked, "Is Salafiyyah a hizb (party) from amongst the parties. And is ascribing to them (i.e. the Salafis) a blameworthy thing?"

To which he replied, "As-Salafiyyah (i.e. the Salafis) is the Saved Sect, and they are Ahl us-Sunnah wal-Jamaa’ah. It is not a hizb (party) from amongst the various parties, those which are called "parties" today. Rather they are the Jamaa’ah, the Jamaa’ah upon the Sunnah and upon the Deen (religion). They are Ahl us-Sunnah wal-Jamaa’ah. The Messenger (sallallaahu alaihi wasallam) said, "There will not cease to be a group from my Ummah manifest and upon the truth not being harmed by those who forsake them neither by those who oppose them" and he (sallallaahu alaihi wasallam) also said, "And this Ummah will split into seventy-three sects, all of them in the Hellfire but one". They said, which one is this O Messenger of Allaah? He replied, "They are those who are upon what I and my companions are upon today". Hence Salafiyyah is a group of people (i.e. the Salafis) upon the madhhab of the Salaf, upon what the Messenger (sallallaahu alaihi wasallam) and his companions were upon and it is not a hizb from amongst the contemporary groups present today. Rather it is the very old Jamaa’ah, from the time of the Messenger (sallallaahu alaihi wasallam) which inherits (this way) and continues, and which never ceases to be upon the manifest truth until the establishment of the Hour, as he (sallallaahu alaihi wasallam) has informed (us)."

(Cassette: "at-Tahdheer min al-Bid’ah" second cassette, delivered as a lecture in Hawtah Sadeer, 1416H).

so seperate and distinguish yourselfs from ahlul bid'ah and follow the path of the salaf ..the saved sect

island muslim

salam alaykum

it seems everyone didnt get the post fully and assumed that calling yourself ahlul sunnah wal jama'ah or salafi is innovated sect, which it isnt ..salafiyah is not something invented and labeling yourself MUSLIM only is not enough as i said before because the sufi,shia and other deviated sects will claim to be muslim too.....So What is the call of Da'watus-Salafiyah? It is the pure religion which calls to Tawheed (singling out Allaah) and sincerity of worship. The call of all the prophets and messengers. --Allaamah Ubayd al-Jaabiree

Is it another party/group?

No it is NOT a party from among the parties, regardless of what people may claim. It is only an ascription to the Salafus-Saalih and their methodology, and calling to this noble methodology. It has NO Imaam, except for Abul-Qaasim Muhammad ibn Abdillaah sallallaahu alaihi wa sallam.

Shaikh Salih al-Fawzaan was asked, "Is Salafiyyah a hizb (party) from amongst the parties. And is ascribing to them (i.e. the Salafis) a blameworthy thing?"

To which he replied, "As-Salafiyyah (i.e. the Salafis) is the Saved Sect, and they are Ahl us-Sunnah wal-Jamaa’ah. It is not a hizb (party) from amongst the various parties, those which are called "parties" today. Rather they are the Jamaa’ah, the Jamaa’ah upon the Sunnah and upon the Deen (religion). They are Ahl us-Sunnah wal-Jamaa’ah. The Messenger (sallallaahu alaihi wasallam) said, "There will not cease to be a group from my Ummah manifest and upon the truth not being harmed by those who forsake them neither by those who oppose them" and he (sallallaahu alaihi wasallam) also said, "And this Ummah will split into seventy-three sects, all of them in the Hellfire but one". They said, which one is this O Messenger of Allaah? He replied, "They are those who are upon what I and my companions are upon today". Hence Salafiyyah is a group of people (i.e. the Salafis) upon the madhhab of the Salaf, upon what the Messenger (sallallaahu alaihi wasallam) and his companions were upon and it is not a hizb from amongst the contemporary groups present today. Rather it is the very old Jamaa’ah, from the time of the Messenger (sallallaahu alaihi wasallam) which inherits (this way) and continues, and which never ceases to be upon the manifest truth until the establishment of the Hour, as he (sallallaahu alaihi wasallam) has informed (us)."

(Cassette: "at-Tahdheer min al-Bid’ah" second cassette, delivered as a lecture in Hawtah Sadeer, 1416H).

so seperate and distinguish yourselfs from ahlul bid'ah and follow the path of the salaf ..the saved sect

Ruling on belonging to Islamic groups
I am confused about the Islamic groups that exist. I believe that the Salafees and the Ahlul Hadeeth are the closest to the Sunnah.
Is it a must that you follow or belong to a group?.

Praise be to Allaah.
It is not essential for the Muslim to follow anyone in the sense that he accepts everything that he says or does, apart from the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). As for anyone other than the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), we may take or leave whatever he says, as Imam Maalik (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “The words of everyone may be taken or left, apart from the occupant of this grave,” and he pointed to the grave of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).

With regard to joining some group or other, there is no doubt that Allaah and His Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) have enjoined us to be with the jamaa’ah (main body) of the Muslims. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The hand of Allaah is with the jamaa’ah.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi (2167) and classed as saheeh by al-Albaani. And he said: “You must stay with the jamaa’ah, for the wolf eats the sheep that wanders off alone.” Narrated by al-Nasaa’i, 847 and classed as hasan by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Nasaa’i. And he said: “The Shaytaan is with one, but he is further away from two.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 2165; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi. And there are many ahaadeeth on this topic.

Undoubtedly it is prescribed for the Muslim to cooperate with a group of his brothers in obeying Allaah and His Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) with regard to matters such as enjoining what is good and forbidding what is evil, calling others to Allaah, seeking knowledge and encouraging one another to adhere to the truth and be patient, etc. In this manner a person can protect himself against the Shaytaan as indicated in the ahaadeeth quoted above. This is included in the words of Allaah (interpretation of the meaning):

“By Al‑‘Asr (the time).

2. Verily, man is in loss,

3. Except those who believe (in Islamic Monotheism) and do righteous good deeds, and recommend one another to the truth, and recommend one another to patience”

[al-‘Asr 103:1-3]

But if what the questioner means is joining a group in the sense of thinking that this is the only group that is following the truth and that all others are following falsehood, loving those who follow this group with him and hating others – as happens with many of those who are members of these groups nowadays, then this is a kind of injustice which Allaah and His Messenger, and the believers, do not like, and which only makes the ummah more fragmented and weak. Rather the believers love all the believers, as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Verily, your Wali (Protector or Helper) is none other than Allaah, His Messenger, and the believers”

[al-Maa’idah 5:55]

“The believers are nothing else than brothers (in Islamic religion)”

[al-Hujuraat 49:10]

And the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The Muslim is the brother of his fellow Muslim.” All of these groups which are agreed upon the bases of Ahl al-Sunnah wa’l-Jamaa’ah are defending Islam one way or another. No one group has a monopoly on the truth, and the call to Allaah (da’wah) needs the efforts of all of them and more.

The believer loves and supports all the believers and cooperates with them in obeying Allaah, even if they are far away from him, and he refrains from helping them to disobey Allaah, even if they are the closest of people to him.

Shaykh Ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him was asked about the ruling on joining Islamic groups and following the methodology of a particular group and not others. He replied:

It is obligatory on every person to adhere to the truth, what Allaah and His Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, not to adhere to the methodology of any group, whether it is the Ikhwan al-Muslimeen or Ansaar al-Sunnah or any other group. He should adhere to the truth. If he joins the Ansaar al-Sunnah and helps them with regard matters in which they are following to the truth, or he joins the Ikhwaan al-Muslimeen and agrees with them on matters in which they are following the truth, without going to extremes or being negligent, there is nothing wrong with that. But if he adheres to their set of beliefs and never deviates from it, this is not permitted. He has to follow the truth wherever it leads him. If the truth is with the Ikhwaan al-Muslimeen, he has to follow it, and if it is with the Ansaar al-Sunnah, he has to follow it, and if it is with another group, he has to follow it. He has to follow the truth, and help all other groups with regard to the truth, but he should not adhere to a particular way of thinking never forsaking it even if it turns out to be false or mistaken. That is wrong, and is not permitted. He should be with the group in every way in which they are correct, and not with them in the matters in which they are wrong.
Majmoo’ Fataawa wa Maqaalaat Mutanaawi’ah li Samaahat al-Shaykh al-‘Allaamah ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him), p. 237.

Islam Q&A

link to fatwa:
http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/12491

Are you quoting a FATWA sister?? I AM... so we go by the FATWA right?

Salem9022

There is noting wrong, with calling yourself a Salafi, especially today when you have so many deviant groups, such as takferies, deobandies, soufies, tablighies, khawarijites, etc. You should distinguish yourself from these deviant people and distance yourself from them since your surroundings effect the way you think. As for joining parties and groups, then that is not Allowed, but the Salafi sect was mentioned by the prophet when he said "I am the best Salaf for you". So it is permissible for you to call yourself a Salafi