allowed to wish "Happy New Islamic Year"?

mas_adi

:salam2:

There is a fatwa from Syaikh Al-Ailamah Muhammad ibn Shalih Al-Utsaimin Rahimahullah, Muslims must avoid to wish "Happy New Islamic Year" because Salaf never did it. However if someone say this greeting to us, we are allowed to reply it in good words like "May Allah bless you in this year", etc.

But, brother, I hope someone can show you the original fatwa in Arabic. I found it in my language website. And there is no explanation, in exactly say this greeting is haram or makrooh ?.

hana*

why is there a fatwa about absolutley everything, there is no harm in wishing someone a successful, blessed year, its just like wishing someone all the best in an exam etc. why do we have to ask so much like Bani Israel did? i think things like this put people off Islam.

Crystal Clear

Alhamdu lillaah
Salams,

Here is a Fatwa on this issue

Ruling on offering congratulations at the beginning of the Hijri year

Praise be to Allaah. 0

Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked: What is the ruling on congratulating people on the occasion of the Hijri new year, and how should one reply to a person who offers congratulations? 0

He replied: 0

If someone offers you congratulations, then respond to him, but do not initiate such greetings. This is the correct view concerning this matter. So if a person says to you, for example, “Happy New Year”, then you can say, “May Allaah make it a good and blessed year for you.” But you should not initiate such a greeting, because I do not know of any report that the salaf [early generations of Islam] congratulated one another on the occasion of the new year, rather the salaf did not regard the first of Muharram as the first day of the new year until the caliphate of ‘Umar ibn al-Khattaab (may Allaah be pleased with him. 0

Shaykh ‘Abd al-Kareem al-Khudayr said concerning offering congratulations on the occasion of the hijri new year: 0

Praying for another Muslim in general terms, in phrases that are not meant as a kind of ritual on special occasions such as Eid, is acceptable, especially if what is meant by this greeting is friendship and to show a friendly face to one’s fellow Muslim. Imaam Ahmad (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “I do not initiate the greeting but if someone greets me I return the greeting, because responding to the greeting is obligatory. But being the first to offer congratulations is neither Sunnah nor forbidden.0

revert2007

Love Fishing
why is there a fatwa about absolutley everything, there is no harm in wishing someone a successful, blessed year, its just like wishing someone all the best in an exam etc. why do we have to ask so much like Bani Israel did? i think things like this put people off Islam.

Assalamualikum
Well it won't put people off Islam.They convert because of Allah or because of the people?The basic rule in Islam is there are only two celebration-Eid fitr and id Adha and the concept of Islam is to be unique and different from disbelievers.IF we start wishing and celebrating New year then we are no difference than other disbelievers who celebrate their new year.We are not suppose to immitate others in anything.

Islam is the religion of Allah and it is special and we as the people who practise Islam should be special as well.This is all sunnah and it is an order from Allah in quran to follow the sunnah.Can we disobey Allah?No we can't and if we do so then we have to be prepared to answer Him on the Day of Judgement.

I am a revert and it didn't put me off.Of course I didn't follow thsi rules in the beginning because I don't know but I guees now I do.Evene many famous Sheikhs are reverts as well and they follow these rules.A person with true iman will never put off with such things.

We have many fatwas because we do not live the life according to our way but according to Allah's way.We need fatwas so that we live a proper Islamic lives and Enter Jannah.

Well we do dawah,do we tell them immediately about Dos and Don'ts?
No we do not tell them except what is written in the hadith.ONly ask them

-Are they willing to take shahadah
-Are they willing to pray 5 times daily
-Are they willing to give zakat/charity

And of course before we ask about Shahadah,we should ask whether they believe in Allah as the only Creator and accept Muhamad pbuh as the Messenger and Servant of Allah.

Once they agree with those carry on with Shahadah.There is no need to talk aboout circumcision or separation from the spouse or any other stuffs .Let them start to pray and let them make their base of faith strong enough to endure and follow what you might tell them in the future.

Allah knows the best.

Assalamualikum

hana*

Assalamualikum
Well it won't put people off Islam.They convert because of Allah or because of the people?The basic rule in Islam is there are only two celebration-Eid fitr and id Adha and the concept of Islam is to be unique and different from disbelievers.IF we start wishing and celebrating New year then we are no difference than other disbelievers who celebrate their new year.We are not suppose to immitate others in anything.

Islam is the religion of Allah and it is special and we as the people who practise Islam should be special as well.This is all sunnah and it is an order from Allah in quran to follow the sunnah.Can we disobey Allah?No we can't and if we do so then we have to be prepared to answer Him on the Day of Judgement.

I am a revert and it didn't put me off.Of course I didn't follow thsi rules in the beginning because I don't know but I guees now I do.Evene many famous Sheikhs are reverts as well and they follow these rules.A person with true iman will never put off with such things.

We have many fatwas because we do not live the life according to our way but according to Allah's way.We need fatwas so that we live a proper Islamic lives and Enter Jannah.

Well we do dawah,do we tell them immediately about Dos and Don'ts?
No we do not tell them except what is written in the hadith.ONly ask them

-Are they willing to take shahadah
-Are they willing to pray 5 times daily
-Are they willing to give zakat/charity

And of course before we ask about Shahadah,we should ask whether they believe in Allah as the only Creator and accept Muhamad pbuh as the Messenger and Servant of Allah.

Once they agree with those carry on with Shahadah.There is no need to talk aboout circumcision or separation from the spouse or any other stuffs .Let them start to pray and let them make their base of faith strong enough to endure and follow what you might tell them in the future.

Allah knows the best.

Assalamualikum

sister revert07, i am not saying that we should 'celebrate' the islamic new year, i was meaning that there is no harm in wishing someone a blessed new hijrah year. there are many religious people who wish for others future happiness and success in the year to come-there is no harm in that. when i was referring to people being put off islam, i meant those who are looking into it and have not 'reverted'. i just believe that we should not go in to excess when it comes to these small matters. Islam is an easy religion.

There is a hadeeth that states Allah hated three things and one of them is asking excessive questions on trivial matters, i do not have the hadeeth to hand, but it reminds me of bani israeel, when they kept asking trivial questions to Musa peace be upon him. also the Prophet peace be upon him said 'ruined are those who are excessive in matters of faith.'

:wasalam:

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
There is a hadeeth that states Allah hated three things and one of them is asking excessive questions on trivial matters, i do not have the hadeeth to hand, but it reminds me of bani israeel, when they kept asking trivial questions to Musa peace be upon him. also the Prophet peace be upon him said 'ruined are those who are excessive in matters of faith.'

jazaak Allah khairan for telling this. in Islam, we are encouraged to ask questions about important matters but not useless things.

the problem is that i dont where to draw the line! :(

BinKhadija

An Akhu
:the problem is that i dont where to draw the line! :(

Asslam'u alykum,

Then, how about trying to avoid it, to be on the safer end. Which would mean just reply back when someone wishes you, but don't say to others first.

Sister revert2007 has a point. And its very valid one.

And, Allah'u aalim.

samiha

---------
Staff member

sister revert07, i am not saying that we should 'celebrate' the islamic new year, i was meaning that there is no harm in wishing someone a blessed new hijrah year. there are many religious people who wish for others future happiness and success in the year to come-there is no harm in that. when i was referring to people being put off islam, i meant those who are looking into it and have not 'reverted'. i just believe that we should not go in to excess when it comes to these small matters. Islam is an easy religion.

My dear sister, I think what is being referred to here is specifically saying "Happy New Year" in the onset of the new Hijrih year. And to that is the fatwa that followed above, may Allaah reward the sister for posting it!

The scholars say that initiating such specific greetings are not good, because by making a specific greeting like "happy new year" you are in a way celebrating the occasion - which is something the Prophet :saw: did not do, and we do not want to add something to Islaam which was not previously there!

However, like was shown above, answering such a greeting by making Du'aa for them, or praying for their well being or success in the upcoming year is fine inshaAllaah... and if you are going to address someone with wishes for the new year, then they should be along the lines of making a du'aa or something which does not become ritualistic. Say as in someone says, "Wow, it's a new year already" ... answering with "Yeah, May Allaah forgive our sins in the past year, and help us in increasing in khayr for the upcoming one" is different from "Yeah, Happy New Year!"

Again Allaah knows best, but this is what I feel and have come across.

You're definitely right ukht that we should be careful in avoiding asking too many questions - but I do not believe this is one of them. May Allaah reward brother ahmed_indian for asking a relevant question which he was not sure about. You see, although this is what Bani Israel did in the time of Musa 'alayhis salaam, it is different entirely.

The Bani Israel were given a command from Allaah to slaughter a cow, but in their hearts there was reluctance. They did not want to submit, and did not want to fulfill the command, which is what lead to their excessive questioning and asking again and again.

However, this question is not the same. The brother wished to go towards the submission of Allaah subhana wa ta'ala by doing what would be most pleasing, and so he asked sincerely about the permissibility of this action and whether or not it was appropriate. It was not asking in order to change things according to his desires, as in if he now further went, "well in my masjid everyone has to do it - so what do I do in that case?" "what if my mother would be disappointed if I didnt?" etc.

Therefore ukhti I believe not only do we have to be careful in not asking too many questions where the rulings of Allaah are clear, but also of not asking enough questions! Or avoiding matters and topics leaving them to our own judgments because we believe questions to be excessive!

As in all things there are a balance and system and Islaam is a way of life; we have to be cautious in not trivializing matters and overlooking them because we are afraid to ask. I'm sure you understand this as well my dear sister, but I just wanted to point it out as a reminder to myself and anyone else.

May Allaah bless you and keep you in His protection!

wasalam