Another Question....Sorry!!!!

Isra

aka Tree2008
As-Salamo Alaikome....

I have another question (big surprise :lol:). First let me tell you that music has always been a huge part of my life so I was not happy to hear that musical instruments are haram in Islam. Well that being said I have come across some Nasheeds on YouTube and noticed some have instruments in the background music.

I am especially drawn to the Nasheeds of Sami Yusuf and Outlandish. I have noticed in the commentary on YouTube there are varying opinions on whether these Nasheeds are haram or not. Is there any way to know for sure if they are (I am really hoping they are NOT as I've become very fond of a few). I dont want to do anything haram in my path to Islam and especially something as simple as watching a video or listening to a Nasheed on YouTube.

Sorry I ask a lot of stupid questions but please be patient with me as I am just learning and I have nobody here to help me. Thank you!!!

Almeftah

There are many Nashids with background music, but that doesnt make musical instruments Halal..

Lets be honest..

The level of committing is based on how faithful we are to Allah.. Most of us muslims (Even i) dont fully commit, because we find it hard most of the time, since we had a long time - before some of us reverted or found the way to Allah -, and we got so attached to the blisses of this life that we find it hard to let go of it.

Thats why some of those who do Nashids or those who listen to it still find it hard to do it without music, for the deep effect music has on the heart and feelings..

masterood

Assalamu-alaikum

No question is stupid.

But getting back to the question, I am not an Scholar, but I do know this much; as zina is haraam, the Quraan says that we should not even come close to zina.
Hence, the Scholars draw the analogy that, in a similar manner all things that lead one to a sin or is even close to a sin is impermissable.
As music is haraam, all things that are close to it, such as musical instruments are regarded as impermissable.

And Allah knows best.

Wassalam

IbnAdam77

Travelling towards my grave.
:salam2: my dear sister Tree2008

I dont exactly remember from where, but I saw a statement which says like this. "The stupidest question is that which is kept without asking."

No question of you is stupid sister. Music is Haram in Islam. There is no way we can make it halal. We need to be patient and leave some of our favorite activities to get access to Jannah by getting the blessings of ALLAH.

The road to Jannah is with mountains, deserts, forests and seas, and the road to Jahannam is a one with red carpet. However, we chose the difficult one as we need to be succeeded at the end.

Hope you are doing well on your path sister. My prays will be always with you.

wassalam

-brother IbnAdam-

muslimah-2k8

Music in Islam

Sheikh Yusuf Estes brings up evidence from the sunnah and hadith about the permissibility, and restrictions on Music in Islam.

Part-1
[yt]0k9gdEAhYTo[/yt]

Part-2
[yt]2NXFXRJXbp0[/yt]

abu'muhammad

:salam2:

The guidelines and conditions of permissible nasheeds:

By studying the words of the scholars and trustworthy Shaykhs we may compile a list of guidelines and shar’i conditions which must be fulfilled for the nasheed to be permissible. That includes:

1. The words of the nasheed must be free of haraam and foolish words.
2. The nasheed should not be accompanied by musical instruments. No musical instrument is permitted except the duff for women on certain occasions. See the answer to question no. 20406.
3. It should be free of sound effects that imitate musical instruments, because what counts is what appears to be the case, and imitating haraam instruments is not permissible, especially when the bad effect is the same as that which happens with real instruments.
4. Listening to nasheed should not become a habit which takes up a person’s time and affects his duties and mustahabb actions, such as affecting his reading of Qur’aan and calling others to Allaah.
5. The performer of a nasheed should not be a woman performing in front of men, or a man with an enchanting appearance or voice performing in front of women.
6. One should avoid listening to performers with soft voices who move their bodies in rhythm, because there is fitnah in all of that and it is an imitation of the evildoers.
7. One should avoid the images that are put on the covers of their tapes, and more important than that, one should avoid the video clips that accompany their nasheeds, especially those which contain provocative movements and imitations of immoral singers.
8. The purpose of the nasheed should be the words, not the tune.

There follow some of the comments of the scholars which include the guidelines and conditions mentioned above.

1. Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:
To sum up, what is well known in the Islamic religion is that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did not prescribe for the righteous, devoted worshippers and ascetics of his ummah to gather to listen to poetic verses recited to the accompaniment of clapping or the beating of a duff. It is not permissible for anyone to deviate from following him and following that which he brought of the Book and wisdom, whether that has to do with inward or outward matters, either for an ordinary man or a member of the elite. But the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) granted concessions allowing some kinds of entertainment in weddings and the like, and he allowed women to beat the duff during weddings and other celebrations.
As for the men of his era, not one of them used to beat the duff or clap, rather it is proven in al-Saheeh that he said: “Clapping is for women, and tasbeeh is for men” and he cursed the women who imitate men and the men who imitate women.
Because singing, beating the duff and clapping are things that women do, the salaf used to call a man who did those things effeminate, and they called men who sang effeminate, and this is well known among their sayings. End quote.
Majmoo’ al-Fataawa (11/565, 566).

2. Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:
Islamic anasheed vary. If they are sound and contain nothing but calling people to what is good, and reminding them of what is good, and obedience to Allaah and His Messenger, and calling people to defend their homelands against the plots of the enemy, and preparing to face the enemy and so on, there is nothing wrong with that. But if they are something other than that, and they promote sin and and are performed before mixed audiences of men and women, or audiences in which women are uncovered in the presence of men, or any other evil action, then it is not permissible to listen to them. End quote.
Majmoo’ Fataawa al-Shaykh Ibn Baaz (3/437).

3. He also said (may Allaah have mercy on him):
Islamic nasheeds are like poetry: if it is sound then it is sound and if there is anything objectionable in it then it is objectionable.
The conclusion is that you cannot pass one judgement on all types of nasheed, rather each should be examined on its own merits. There is nothing wrong with sound nasheeds, but nasheeds which contain anything objectionable or promote anything objectionable are objectionable and evil. End quote.
Shareet As’ilah wa Ajwabah al-Jaami’ al-Kabeer (no. 90/A).

4. The scholars of the Standing Committee for Issuing Fatwas said:
It is permissible for you to replace these songs with Islamic nasheeds which contain words of wisdom and exhortation and lessons, which promote keenness to follow Islam and invoke Islamic feelings, which put one off evil and the things that promote it, and which motivate the one who “sings” them and the one who hears them to obey Allaah and discourage them to disobey Him or transgress His limits; they make one keen to protect His sharee’ah and strive in jihad for His sake. But you should not take that as a habit which one persists in, rather that should be something that is done only sometimes, on special occasions such as weddings or when travelling for jihad and so on, and when one feels low, in order to revive the spirit and motivate oneself to do good, or when one feels inclined towards evil, so listening to such nasheeds may ward that off. End quote.
Fataawa Islamiyyah (4/533); we have quoted the fatwa in full in the answer to question no. 47996 and 67925.

5. Shaykh al-Albaani (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:
There may be another sin involved in that [i.e., nasheeds], which is that they may be performed in the manner of immoral songs and performed according to the rules of eastern or western music which makes the listeners enjoy it and makes them dance and behave in a foolish manner. So the aim becomes the tune and the enjoyment thereof, and not nasheed per se. This is a new error, and it is an imitation of the kuffaar and immoral people. That may lead to a further error, which is imitating them in turning away from the Qur’aan and forsaking it, and being included in the general meaning of the complaint of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “And the Messenger (Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم) will say: ‘O my Lord! Verily, my people deserted this Qur’aan (neither listened to it nor acted on its laws and teachings)’” [al-Furqaan 25:30]. End quote from Tahreem Alaat al-Tarb (p. 181).

6. He also said:
If these anaasheed contain Islamic meanings and are not accompanied by any instruments such as the daff, tablah drum and so on, then there is nothing wrong with them, but we must point out an important condition of their being permissible, which is that they should be free of anything that goes against sharee’ah, such as exaggeration and the like. Then there is another condition, which is that they should not become a habit, because that distracts the listeners from reading Qur’aan which is encouraged in the Sunnah, and it also distracts them from seeking beneficial knowledge and calling people to Allaah. End quote.
Majallat al-Asaalah (issue no. 2, 15 Jumaada al-Aakhirah 1413 AH).

7. In the answer to question no. 11563 we mentioned a number of guidelines, which we will mention again here, because they are useful:
Not using forbidden musical instruments in nasheed.
Not doing it too much or making it the focus of the Muslim’s mind, occupying all his time, or neglecting obligatory duties because of it.
Nasheed should not be recited by women, or include haraam or obscene speech.
They should not resemble the tunes of the people of immorality and promiscuity.
They should be free of vocal effects that produce sounds like those of musical instruments.
They should not have moving tunes which make the listener feel “high” as happens to those who listen to songs. This is the case with many of the nasheeds which appear nowadays, so that the listeners no longer pay any attention to the good meaning of the words, because they are so entranced by the tunes.
We have too high an opinion of our brothers who perform nasheeds and recite Qur’aan to think that they could be a cause of fitnah for young men and women, and a cause of their being distracted from obedience to Allaah. They know how great an effect their voices and pictures may have on males and females; if you go to chat rooms you will see very weird things. You will see a woman who is infatuated with a munshid or one who cannot sleep unless she is listening to the voice of So and so, and those who call themselves ‘aashiqat fulaan (lover of So and so – a munshid) and you see men and women venerating those munshids, giving them titles and high status, even though some of them are not religiously committed at all, and some of them have fallen into the trap of singing immoral songs, and if you go to some websites that have these nasheeds, you will be surprised at how often these nasheeds are downloaded and how many people have no interest in listening to Qur’aan and useful lectures.
We ask Allaah to set the affairs of all of us straight.
And Allaah knows best.
Islam Q&A

in detail :http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/91142/permissible nasheeds

Isra

aka Tree2008
As-Salamu Alaikome....

Thank you for the information everyone who responded but this news is not good for me and I am not happy to hear it. What a pity. :SMILY23:

shichemlydia

answer

salam alikoum,
yes music in islam is haram, and even the nasheeds that contain music are haram too, because the wisdom behind this is the nasty words that used to be said when singing or the use of musical instruments, in fact there is a verse in the quran which says this.
وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يَشْتَرِي لَهْوَ الْحَدِيثِ لِيُضِلَّ عَن سَبِيلِ اللَّهِ بِغَيْرِ عِلْمٍ وَيَتَّخِذَهَا هُزُواً أُولَئِكَ لَهُمْ عَذَابٌ مُّهِينٌ (6) وَإِذَا تُتْلَى عَلَيْهِ آيَاتُنَا وَلَّى مُسْتَكْبِراً كَأَن لَّمْ يَسْمَعْهَا كَأَنَّ فِي أُذُنَيْهِ وَقْراً فَبَشِّرْهُ بِعَذَابٍ أَلِيمٍ
chapter LUKMANE; verses 5 and 6.

in addition, music sustain the growing up of hypocracy (nifaq) in the hear, and make the heart less influenced by the words of allah swt.
and allah knows the best, and he guides to the right path,
wa salam alikoum

BinteShafi

Left long ago
As-Salamu Alaikome....

Thank you for the information everyone who responded but this news is not good for me and I am not happy to hear it. What a pity. :SMILY23:

Wa alaikum Salam Sister,

I would like to share my own experience regarding music. Being a daughter of Muslim parents I was raised as a practical Muslim. I have been reading Islamic books since very early age and been regular in my prayers since then Alhamdolillah. In spite of this I always loved music. I always used to think that "Music is one of the Most beautiful things that Allah has created" There would be something missing if there would be NO MUSIC in this world. I was used to of giving kind of deaf ear to the fact that music is haram. I always thought that Allah is Oft-Forgiving and Most Merciful, so he will forgive this minor sin (In my own opinion). I also used to convince myself by the thought that I am not doing anything bad to anyone by listening music, rather it is giving me peace and tranquility. So it would'nt be bad in the eyes of Allah. In short I was fond of music and kept on listening up until July 2007.

Lat year Allah who is Most Merciful and Beneficent created an opportunity for me to learn following things:

1: Allah says in the Qur'an that on the day of judgement people will be asked how many day did you live in world, and they will say "Perhaps one day or less" (I am writing from my own memory so exact meaning would be different). Should we waste any second of this ONE day in music which give us no benefit instead of preparing ourselves for an eternal life. Sister this limited life of 70 or 80 or 100 years can not be compared with eternity.

2: Allah has mentioned many names (perhaps 26) of the day of judgement in Qur'an. DAY OF REGRET is one of those many names. Each and every person (including prophets and righteous people who would know that they will go to paradise...will regret) will regret about those single moments (seconds) which they spent without the rememberence of Allah. We can say SubhanAllah, Alhmadolillah, Astaghferullah, in less than a second BUT we dont do that. How would we feel dear sister about our that time which we spend in listening music instead of spending that time in rememberence of Allah...Or learning Qur'an or listening Qur'an recitation.

3: Qur'an says that "Certainly hearts find rest (peace) in the rememberence of Allah". Dear sister, believe me no other thing (or music) sounds more beautiful that the Qur'an recitation. I would urge you to learn Qur'an and then listen to it. You yourself will experience this reality Insha Allah.

4: Each and every individual will be in front of Allah ONE to ONE on the day of judgement. We will be asked that "How did you spend your youth", "how did you spend your wealth". What will be our answer regarding the time and money we spend in MUSIC.

5: Music has the tendency of staying in our hearts and minds so much so that some time while we are not listening to music, it comes in our mind and tongue automatically. We cant stop thinking about that OR sometime we keep on singing that music without any intention. A Muslim who submits himself/herself to the will of Allah, only rememberence of Allah should come to his/her heart, mind and tongue NOT the music.

These are the lessons I learnt and shared with you in my own language. At the end I would like to share these videos with you.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=KYLJM2e2EKM

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=vDUa5THF26Q&feature=related

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug1mMPAQhhk&feature=related

and this LINK IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT, PLS WATCH

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=AkEBUC0APMg

Jazak Allah Khair,

Wassalam

JazakAllah Khair,

Wassalam.

salahdin

بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ

This is my own opinion we all at some point that used to listen to music and from my own experience i know music stays in you heart and mind . And what comes in your heart first and foremost its the lyrics that shaytan made it easy for us to memorise and whatever you do, whatever you go its stays with you.For instance when fasting instead of remembering ALLAH (AZA WA JALAH) its the music that comes in you heart .

Some of us will not admit that music is haram but who are the best generation? the sahaba and what do they say ibn Masud ibn Abass may ALLAH (AZA WA JALLAH) grant them janah fardosa . They said it (music) is haram with evidence from the holy QURAN .They could interpret and explain its mening (the QURAN) just as our beloved prophet salalahu aleihim wa salam use to teach them . So why follow our own desire? . Brothers and sisters dont kill the most important vessel of ALLAH (AZA WA JALLAH ) and that is the heart . a dead heart will never remember ALLAH (AZA WA JALLAH). So why kill the heart with evil (music).

Isra

aka Tree2008
and this LINK IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT, PLS WATCH

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=AkEBUC0APMg

Salamo Alaikome....

This link in particular made me cry very hard. I have to tell you though that the Nasheed playing in the background is the very first one that I downloaded to save on my computer. It is the Nasheed which made me look for others to add to it on my computer. :SMILY23:

I dont understand Arabic and I was drawn to the Nasheeds which were mostly sung in English. They DO stick in my head and I find myself singing them to myself when Im at work (even sometimes humming them as I am waiting on customers) so this is true that the music does stick in your mind and maybe more than the Quran recitations since I dont understand the language at all. But even though the evidence is overwhelming that music is haram in Islam it still makes me very sad to give up the Nasheeds that I have come to love.

I used to listen to heavy metal music ALL the time before finding out about Islam and I agree that music made me feel mean inside. So I do understand how music can affect you and make you feel certain things. The nasheeds however have made me feel more desire to learn about Islam and our Prophet (sallallah 'alayhi wa sallam) so thats why I was confused as to why even that type of music is bad. I have done research on my own since Ive asked this question and everything I have found has advised against listening to even the nasheeds with the music and the singers face in the video. I understand but Im sad...........VERY SAD!!!!!!!!! :girl3:

cmelbouzaidi

:salam2: i know this is a struggle, sister. but in the big picture, ALLAH will reward us with much better in the Hereafter if we can give up these worldly things. i still have problems not listening to music altogether and to be honest, i do fall off the wagon, so to speak, once in a while. i guess there is still the kid in me from my previous life that liked to be up-to-date on what was happening in the music world and that is one of my struggles to this day, :astag:.... however, i hope you can find some beautiful nasheed with no music in the background that will make you feel better. also, i heard that open end drums are allowed (the kind they use in morocco) and native deen use these. let me see if i can find any more nice ones :) :wasalam:

salahdin

There is nothing to be sad about its a victory. you have seen and you have realise the truth . You have conquered one of your own lusts(desire) and there many to conquered . You just to booked yourself a ticket to next life ,a life with no pain, never ending and you will dwell there in forever.

بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ

(7) (First) those on the right hand; what of those on the right hand? (8) And (then) those on the left hand; what of those on the left hand? (9) And the foremost in the race, the foremost in the race: (10) Those are they who will be brought nigh (11) In gardens of delight; (12) A multitude of those of old (13) And a few of those of later time. (14) On lined couches, (15) Reclining therein face to face. (16) There wait on them immortal youths (17) With bowls and ewers and a cup from a pure spring (18) Wherefrom they get no aching of the head nor any madness, (19) And fruit that they prefer (20) And flesh of fowls that they desire. (21) And (there are) fair ones with wide, lovely eyes, (22) Like unto hidden pearls, (23) Reward for what they used to do. (24) There hear they no vain speaking nor recrimination (25)Al-Waqia 7:25

Almeftah

As-Salamu Alaikome....

I used to compose music, i was so into it, but now, i managed to leave it all behind me.. I know how you feel but if you trully want to please Allah by leaving this thing, then Allah will please with something better in return.