Are married women Mahram?

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
As Salaamu Alaykum
Teachers in my school have this annoying habit of touching students' arms. Well, since most of my teachers are married, I was wondering if married women are Mahram?

I know it's a sin to [willingly] touch a member of the opposite sex whom you can marry, but what if it's a teacher who is not Ahl-al-Kitaab? What about a teacher who is married?

JazakAllahu Khair

Abdul-Raheem

Signing Out.....
:salam2:

I don't think it makes a difference if they are married or not. Just best to avoid contact as they are not relatives so that makes them non-mahram.

wasalam

kayleigh

Probably not, and not all are necessarily married. If they're your teachers (and not random teachers in the hallways) you could approach them before or after class and ask them to stop - making sure to not hurt their feelings, of course. If they continue, it's not really your fault. Just like if another girl were to bump into you in the hallway or on the street. As long as you try your best to avoid it, it should be fine.

Abdul-Raheem

Signing Out.....

I rarely have this problem with teachers as the majority are Guys. More often than not, it's flirting girls in class and around school who bug me. I try to keep my distance but that can prove quite difficult in class. Sometimes it gets to the point that I have to completely blank them so they get the idea.

wasalam

kayleigh

I rarely have this problem with teachers as the majority are Guys. More often than not, it's flirting girls in class and around school who bug me. I try to keep my distance but that can prove quite difficult in class. Sometimes it gets to the point that I have to completely blank them so they get the idea.

wasalam

It must be just girls who do that then, because here, guys don't really do anything unless you start flirting first or give them the "OK" to do it. But I never did before I converted so, luckily for me, I don't really think it'll ever be a problem.

I'm just now starting to notice how forward girls can be. I think it makes them look kind of foolish, but I suppose none of the guys think so.

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
As Salaamu Alaykum
It must be just girls who do that then, because here, guys don't really do anything unless you start flirting first or give them the "OK" to do it. But I never did before I converted so, luckily for me, I don't really think it'll ever be a problem.

I'm just now starting to notice how forward girls can be. I think it makes them look kind of foolish, but I suppose none of the guys think so.

You have it lucky: I used to flirt like crazy and now I have to deal with the after effects. The girls have stopped (with the exception of this one girl) and I think I hurt their feelings...

almouchie

salam

my supervisor/boss at work does that too
he likes to touch people, pat on shoulder, sweet talk (its not personal, just expression he uses with everybody)
he is old enough to be my dad, i still dont like it
i try to aviod contact with him

Globalpeace

Banned
Asslamo Allaikum,

Us older guys also have problems at work where flirting is rife...Personally sometimes I think (as a matter of fact I know) that most of these women don’t have a life outside of work…

I usually post on this forum while I am on my desk and purposely bury myself in TTI to avoid listening to conversations around me which often turn out to be very graphic to say the least! These are professional, middle-class women in their late twenties and early thirties (with ample disposable income and time on their hands) so anyone can guess what they talk about [Enough said :) ]

I am a very social person, polite and courteous and often women take it the wrong way at work…lots of jokes which often are contrary to Shariah; I find flirting most common in UK & least common in USA; actually I think the work environment in USA is too serious while in UK it is too relaxed to the point where nothing is sacred…I prefer UK to USA because you can talk about anything i.e. race, creed, ethnicity and with humour turn all opportunities into Dawah while in the US (where I studied & worked), Yankees are often reluctant to talk about these subjects at work

albinsaid09

Trying to explain to non-mehrams why I cannot talk to them.

Though this does not answer Newmuslim question(sorry). It is still about mahram

Question:
Trying to explain to non-mehrams why I cannot talk to them.

Answered by Wajihah Gregor

Bascically I had a lot of male friends but realised that it was islamically wrong. Most of them I classed as only good friends so the conversation were not like boyfriend-girlfriend kind of conversation. But when I became more practicising in Islam I broke of all ties with all of them without giving an explanation. I rather just ignored text messages and blanked any calls. I also changed my number to avoid any contact and alhamdulila I havent spoke to them in a while. But recently some have tried to get in contact whilst others just think I am rude as they do not realise the reason for me stopping any form of communication, now I am worried that they may have ill feelings towards me which is islamically wrong and I may get sin for it as it is my fault for being the person I was before. Do you think I should explain to them the reason for me not wanting to talk to them and why it is islamcally wrong as it may be that they will think twice when talking to other girls or do you think I should just leave it and let them think the way they want about me. Also because I wanted to proper practice my deen I stopped talking to some of my non-practicising female friends as I felt that they were bad company and 'you are who your friends are' is what I kept thinkng to myself but I fear that because I don't talk to some they may feel that I think of them as 'lower' then me (as this is what some have said) although I have astagfirulla never thought that and inshalla never will, but I fear that these non-practicising friends may look at me and feel that me not having as much time for them is because Islam does not like people like them and so they will feel islam is not right for them. this probly doesnt make sense and I dont really know how to explain, my problem isnt what people think or say about me because I honestly dont care about that i just want to know whether I should stay in contact with non-racticising friends even though I know they may lead me to commit sin withou me even knwing it before its too late or should I just stay a distant but be in contact or totally leave them to do what they want. Also shall i explain via email or something like that to non-mehram ex-friends the reason for why I cant talk to them.

Answer:

In the Name of Allah, the Compassionate, the Merciful.
With prayers and salutations upon the Best of Creation.

Asalaamu â€کAlaikum wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu â€"

It is important for you to maintain a cordial relationship with all the people you mentioned. Your treatment towards them will reflect on their understanding of Islam.

Gently and directly tell your male acquaintances that you are a practicing Muslim and that it is not permissible for you to have casual friendships with them. Give them an opportunity to ask questions and share their feelings. They may be hurt. As Muslims, we cherish and respect people's emotions and thoughts.

Consider sending them additional information on Islam. Keep the channels of communication open allowing them to ask you questions or conduct follow up. It is permissible to speak with the opposite gender for the sake of education and information. You should be vigilant to keep the conversations focused, directed, and useful.

About the female friends that you have, instead of dropping them, consider altering the dynamic you share with them. Invite them to attend Islamic lectures with you, for example.

The Sunnah of our Beloved Messenger, Allah bless him and give him peace, is to make the best of every situation. Optimize your relationships rather than minimizing them. Allah willing, you will find blessing in your intentions and efforts.

And Allah Knows Best.

http://www.sunnipath.com

Globalpeace

Banned
Asslamo Allaikum albinsaid09,

I hope that you don't mind me asking but what is the picture that you have against your name?

Umar07

Asalam alaikum wr wb.
How are you, my dear bro new muslim? May Allah make it easy for u & all muslims..ameen

"I was wondering if married women are Mahram?"

Answer:
Dear brother, marital status has nothing to do with being a "mahram". Your female mahram constitute your relatives that you can't legally marry (islamically speaking). If you're a male, your mahram would include your mother, sisters, granmother, your mother's sisters. Your father's sisters, your wife's mother.

"I know it's a sin to [willingly] touch a member of the opposite sex whom you can marry, but what if it's a teacher who is not Ahl-al-Kitaab? What about a teacher who is married?"

Answer:
So called "people of the book" or otherwise has no relevancy to the issue of "touching" the opposite sex. It's not allowed in islam if they dont fall under the Mahram category mentioned above.

So, my advice to you is that you wear long slave clothing if you happen to be in an environment where such contact can happen & try your best to avoid it. And if you feel comfortable with your teacher(s), nicely & privately, explain to her/them the islamic position about the issue..They might just appreciate it! : ) Wish you the best..asalam alaikum wr wb