Are renewing the vowels of marriage permitted?

dianek

I was thinking, as I sit here missing my husband and kids....2 more weeks and they will be back inshallah.......does islam allow a couple to "renew" their wedding vowels? Now that I am muslim, I would like to have a truly Muslim wedding at the mosque and invite my family, who were not present when we were married initially. I want him to marry me again as a muslim wife.....like starting over. Is that silly?

saira1984

Trust in Allah swt
salam sister,

I'm sorry I can't answer your question but also as a revert I've often thought the same. When me and my husband married it was just my family and I would really like his family to be there and see us get married insha allah.

Masalam Saira x

:salah:

Optimist

قل هو الله أحد
the idea is certainly not silly but I dont know about the religious ruling

I'll try to find fatwa for you

Optimist

قل هو الله أحد
that was quick

Name Murad - Canada
Profession
Question I married a Catholic woman almost 4 years ago. We had a strictly western civil wedding. There was a "justice of the peace" who married us before a small group of witnesses. (Approximately 5-6 for the bride and groom). We did not have an Islamic wedding; we do not have a "marriage contract" nor do we have anything from an Imam saying that we are married in the eyes of Allah. Recently, my wife has converted to Islam. She has done this on her own free will, and I admire her strength in conviction in her new religion. She believes, however, that we are not married in the eyes of Allah since we did not have a Muslim wedding with an Imam, and fears that we are living in sin. Are we considered married in the eyes of Allah? I would like to one day renew my vows to her in front of Allah, but in the meantime - should we behave as though we are not married?
Answer In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

When Islam came, people were married before the advent of Islam and the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) approved of all of these marriages. It was not reported that he renewed the marriage of anyone.

Therefore, your marriage is valid and correct especially that the European Council for Fatwa and Research, which has so many respectable scholars from the world, considered the civil marriage which meets the conditions stipulated by Islam to be valid.

However, if you wish to renew your marriage contract as a celebration and symbol of transition in the life of your wife, there is no text to forbid such an act.

Whether you renew your marriage contract or not, you should behave as husband and wife.

Allah Almighty knows best.

source : Islamonline

devotedsoul

Not bad

These depends how the marrige took place. Need to ask the Alim about this.

But inviting the relatives is definitely not a bad idea.

dianek

Lol yeah that's my reaction too .. I thought they were called 'marriage vows' :D :p

OH MY GOSH........I feel stupid.....Yikes......I do know how to spell but there was chaos abound yesterday with my eldest daughter and her little friend running around like a crazy person.......LOL!!!

dianek

These depends how the marrige took place. Need to ask the Alim about this.

But inviting the relatives is definitely not a bad idea.

We were married by a Justice of the Peace and threw a little reception for just our friends. I didn't even tell my parents we were married until 2 weeks later as I was ashamed for rushing into marriage within 3 days of my divorce being finalized. AND the fact that they did not really know my husband too well.....now I am ashamed they were not there. I would like to do it all over again in the mosque with a proper wedding so they can be there and included AND because I want my parents to see how warm and receptive the muslims are. I want all the ethnic food and traditions also of his Tunisian heritage....

abdellah007

salam

assalam alaykum

My brother has renewed the vowels of marriage after his wife converted to ISLAM. but only by the presence of Imam.

abou haytam

We were married by a Justice of the Peace and threw a little reception for just our friends. I didn't even tell my parents we were married until 2 weeks later as I was ashamed for rushing into marriage within 3 days of my divorce being finalized. AND the fact that they did not really know my husband too well.....now I am ashamed they were not there. I would like to do it all over again in the mosque with a proper wedding so they can be there and included AND because I want my parents to see how warm and receptive the muslims are. I want all the ethnic food and traditions also of his Tunisian heritage....

salam sister;

you should invite TTI member to your wedding :)...i am waiting my invitation anyway :D

abou haytam

Salam!
Ofcourse you can come if we do it.....But we are quite a distance from Canada or Morrocco........LOL!!!!!!!

thank you sister, i ask allah subhanho wa taala to give you peace and love in your familly and bless you with more knwoledge in islam.

warda A

Sister
we could

thank you sister, i ask allah subhanho wa taala to give you peace and love in your familly and bless you with more knwoledge in islam.
:salam2:
i agree with my brother
we at tti (assuming all members agree)wish you all the happiness inshallah.
we are a big family and all over the world i personally wish i could meet you and attend but, we all live in different places
but what a happy family online that i have, mashallah
we will keep you in our duas inshallah
:wasalam:

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
I think that would be a wonderful idea..
especially if they see muslims pray too..how peaceful..and unified it is..non-muslims are always impressed by how there could be 10,000 people in prayer..but they all pray like one person!
well I better hurry up and start applying to colleges in VA..don't want to miss your vows..and the nice tunisian cuisine...if i can't make it though...make sure you save me a bit in the freezer..hehe

May Allah (swt) shower your life with endless love and happiness with *all* your loved ones from the nearest to the furthest!..inshallah! :)

dianek

We might consider the Mosque in Northern VA in Falls Church......and many of our tti family members are in that area.....would be great to meet them! Thanks All!

msrebgui

I too wasn't Muslim when I first married. We married at the court house and I was told by an Imam at the masjid that we should marry Islamically since I have reverted to Islam to make the marriage valid, is this true? I am torn since my husband says that it doesn't matter what matters is that we married before Allah(Swt) and Allah(Swt) knows we are married. My husband also says back home(in Morocco) they don't marry in the Masjids they have a guy who comes to where the wedding is taking place and that guy marries you, he is not an imam either.

abdellah007

salam

I too wasn't Muslim when I first married. We married at the court house and I was told by an Imam at the masjid that we should marry Islamically since I have reverted to Islam to make the marriage valid, is this true? I am torn since my husband says that it doesn't matter what matters is that we married before Allah(Swt) and Allah(Swt) knows we are married. My husband also says back home(in Morocco) they don't marry in the Masjids they have a guy who comes to where the wedding is taking place and that guy marries you, he is not an imam either.

salam alaykum sister

that s right, here in morocco we dont marry in the masjid there re cases when the imam goes to houses or what we call " el a'doul" and that what u meant by theses guys.

abou haytam

salam o alikom

Yes in muslims country wedding don t take place in masjid. I think it s importante to learn about it islmaically not culturaly.

Differences between Muslim and non-Muslim weddings

Question:

This question is regarding Muslim weddings. I have recently embraced Islam. Previously I was Christian. I am curious to know how the muslim and christian wedding ceremony and celebration differ? Does the bride wear white? Does the couple exchange rings? Is dancing allowed? Please let me know as soon as you are able. I have not been able to find this information in any books, or at this site.
Thank you!

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

There are many differences between Muslim and non-Muslim weddings, such as: the condition that the woman must have a wali or guardian to marry her off, the condition that there be witnesses and that the marriage be announced, that the woman cannot be a mahram (close blood relative) of the man, and that the wedding does not have to take place in a mosque.

The groom can wear any kind of clothing that has been permitted by Allaah, and it does not have to be any specific colour.

It is not permitted for the couple to exchange rings, because this is an innovation that has been newly invented in the religion, and is even worse if the man wears a gold ring because gold is forbidden for men in Islam. It is mustahabb (recommended) for women in particular to sing at weddings and to use the daff (hand-drum), but not any other kind of musical instruments.

It is not permissible for men and women to mix, at weddings or at any other time, or for the groom to sit with his bride in front of the women.

If the women are alone and no men can see them, it is permissible for them to dance, so long as this will not cause undue provocation of desires.

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

He asking about the proper Islamic way to celebrate weddings

Question:

What do suggest regarding an Islamic wedding party? I do not want any sin to be committed in this party, i.e. music, etc. but of course we want it to be delightful, we do not want the guests to feel bored

Answer:

http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=101165&ln=eng&txt=زواج