Assalamu Alaykum

ArchAngel

I am new the website and new the islamic faith I wanted to learn more about the faith and I thought that this website and the brothers and sister that are apart of it would help a Muslim out

thank you

ArchAngel

saffanah

speak good or silent
Wa'alakumussalam

Welcome to this site, brother!
Insha Allah you will find many benefits here and also nice brothers and sisters.

Barakallahu fik (May Allah bless you)

ArchAngel

I think i should tell y'all on this site I recently converted from Methodist to Islam, I not should if I am Shiite or Sunni but I was attending a Sunni Mosqe :salah:in Maryland. Can someone inform in on the difference in Sunni and Shiite please:SMILY176:

saffanah

speak good or silent
Here is a good explanation of Sunni and Shiite:

http://www.islamreligion.com/articles/490/viewall/

PS: After you read the article you will find that we must follow the teaching of the Prophet Muhammad SAW and his Sahaba radiallahu anhum. That is what called as Ahlussunnah wal Jama'ah (the muslims who follow it is called as Sunni-the major muslim community in this world)
This is the straight path and insha Allah it will guide you to Jannah (Paradise).

islamservant

Egyptian sister
mashaallah :ma:

congratulation brother :hearts:

praise be to allah:muslim_child:

brother ask her about every thing u want and inshaallah we will help:shake:

keep study islam details

may allah bless u :tti_sister:

amirah80

*Fear Allah*
Can some one help me out the word Jihad as I was taught meant Struggle not "holy war" correct?

Salam Alaikum

Quotation:

"The best jihad [struggle] is (by) the one who strives against his own self for Allah, The Mighty and Majestic," Hadith (sayings of the Prophet Muhammad). 1

"Fight in the cause of Allah those who fight you, but do not transgress limits; for Allah loves not transgressors." Qur'an, Chapter 2, verse 190.

Meanings of "Jihad:"
"Jihad" and "Mujahid" (one who carries out a jihad) are two religious words that have been given multiple meanings:

Many accounts in the media define "jihad" as a synonym for "holy war," -- a vicious clash between followers of different religions, each of whom believes that God is on their side and that the other side is is of Satan. This usage often appears on Western TV, radio, and other media during news about the Middle East, where it is used to describe a call for Muslims to fight against non-Muslims in the defense of Islam. Some Muslims have begun to adopt this meaning of "jihad" as a result of Western influence.

Others use the term as a synonym for a struggle of any type. This reflects the origin of the word from the Arabic verb "jahada" which means to struggle or fight.

The conventional interpretation of "Jihad":
According to Beliefnet, 2 Al-Hajj Talib 'Abdur-Rashid, imam of the Mosque of Islamic Brotherhood in Harlem, NY, defines three levels of jihad -- personal, verbal and physical. Considering each in turn:

Personal Jihad:
This is the most important form. This type of jihad, called the Jihadun-Nafs, is the intimate struggle to purify one's soul of evil influences -- both subtle and overt. It is the struggle to cleanse one's spirit of sin. In a brochure, the Institute of Islamic Information & Education describes several different contexts in which The Qur'an (the Islamic Holy Book) and the Hadith (the collected sayings of Muhammad) use the word "jihad" to refer to personal struggles:

Putting "Allah ahead of our loved ones, our wealth, our worldly ambitions and our own lives."

Resisting pressure of parents, peers and society; strive against "the rejecters of faith..." (Quran 25:52)

"...strive and struggle to live as true Muslims..."

"Striving for righteous deeds."

Spreading the message of Islam. "The (true) believers are only those who believe in Allah and his messenger and afterward doubt not, but strive with their wealth and their selves for the cause of Allah. Such are the truthful." (Quran, 49:15)

Verbal Jihad:
To strive for justice through words and non-violent actions. Muhammad encouraged Muslims to demand justice in the name of Allah. When asked: "'What kind of jihad is better?' Muhammad replied, 'A word of truth in front of an oppressive ruler!'" 3 According to the Institute of Islamic Information and Education: "The life of the Prophet Muhammad was full of striving to gain the freedom to inform and convey the message of Islam. During his stay in Makkah [Mecca] he used non-violent methods and after the establishment of his government in Madinah [Medina], by the permission of Allah, he used armed struggle against his enemies whenever he found it inevitable." 1

Physical Jihad:

This relates to the use of physical force in defense of Muslims against oppression and transgression by the enemies of Allah, Islam and Muslims. Allah commands that Muslims lead peaceful lives and not transgress against anyone. If they are persecuted and oppressed, the Qur'an recommends that they migrate to a more peaceful and tolerant land: "Lo! Those who believe, and those who emigrate (to escape persecution) and strive (Jahadu) in the way of Allah, these have hope of Allah's mercy..." (Quran, 2:218). If relocation is not possible, then Allah also requires Muslims to defend themselves against oppression by "fighting against those who fight against us." 2 The Qur'an states: "To those against whom war is made, permission is given [to defend themselves], because they are wronged - and verily, Allah is Most Powerful to give them victory." (22:39) The defensive nature of physical jihad (or "jihad with the hand") is frequently lost among many, Muslims, Christians, secularists and others.

islamservant

Egyptian sister
welcome here in ur family :hearts:

inshaallah u will get benefit from this wonderfull forum:SMILY288:

well every muslim should know about his prophet to increase his faith and love him more and know how islam is great ,,, so i recommend u this serios from huda tv channel called inspiration

http://www.forsanelhaq.com/showthread.php?t=70848

The program is concerned with the biography (seerah) of Prophet Mohammad peace and blessing be upon him

about the word jihad

this a video named:

terrorism and jehad ,,,, Dr Zakir Naik,,,,, 2 parts

1: http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...+About+Islam+&ei=NQxrSNeqCITgjAL-1vSaDw&hl=en

2: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5071265718635364196&q=Misconceptions About Islam &hl=en

inshaallah u will get benefit from this lecture

and if u have any other questions feel free to ask here :hearts:

may allah guide u and bless u:tti_sister:

Zaynab123

Subhana Allah!
wa alaykuma salam warah matulahi wabarakatuh,

:SMILY206::SMILY206::SMILY206: to ISLAM & TTI. it soooooooo good to have you with us. alhamdulilah(praise be to Allag) that has brought from darkness to lighteness.

wishing u the best side of ISLAM:hearts:

:wasalam:

Allahu_Hassbi

:salam2:
Welcome sister to the Fold of Islam....& welcome to TTI
May Allah Azza Wajal give you utmost success in both the worlds inshallah.:tti_sister:
Surely sister ArchAngel there are a lot of wise brothers & sister here who can help u learn a lot inshallah... pls don't hesistate to ask...we will assist u with the help of Allah inshallah

Hope u have a Gr8 time here Inshallah

:wasalam: