Associating With Pagans?

rightpath_357

Asalamu Alaikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Baraktatuhu brothers and sisters.. :)

Recently, I've been having conflicts with deciding how to face this situation: Associating with Pagans. I have a group of 9 friends who are all very close with each other. Six of us are Muslim Mash'Allah- and we have a friend who is Hindu. We all respect everyones boundaries, religion and culture. But people have been coming to me and telling me it is Haraam to associate with pagans and people who believe in many gods. I realize it might be haram to go to their house and eat their food etc. And in the past, going to her house for parties hs been avoided by having a surprise party during lunch and so on. Is it exactly haram to be friends with her? To borrow books from her?

But we hope Insha'Allah- that in a group with 6 Muslims, influence will rub off on our other dear friends.

So- any advice? JazakAllah Khayran.

Salam :D

Um Ibrahim

Alhamdulilah :)
Asalamu Alaikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Baraktatuhu brothers and sisters.. :)

Recently, I've been having conflicts with deciding how to face this situation: Associating with Pagans. I have a group of 9 friends who are all very close with each other. Six of us are Muslim Mash'Allah- and we have a friend who is Hindu. We all respect everyones boundaries, religion and culture. But people have been coming to me and telling me it is Haraam to associate with pagans and people who believe in many gods. I realize it might be haram to go to their house and eat their food etc. And in the past, going to her house for parties hs been avoided by having a surprise party during lunch and so on. Is it exactly haram to be friends with her? To borrow books from her?

But we hope Insha'Allah- that in a group with 6 Muslims, influence will rub off on our other dear friends.

So- any advice? JazakAllah Khayran.

:wasalam: wr. wb

Personally I think studying together or borrowing books is OK, but going to their homes and eating their food especially if it's meat doesn't sound good to me you don't know if it's halal or not. I once heard someone ask a similar question to a sheikh but it was about Christians. The sheikh said, it's OK to have businesses with these people, take gifts from them if it's not celebrating any of their festivities, deal with them on a day-to-day basis..and he said that it is OK to even be friends with them under one condition: that condition is that your intention should be so that you make da'wah to them and you welcome them into your homes so they can see how a Muslim lives, acts and prays. But if you're friends with them just to be friends then it is better for you to not associate with them because there is really no benefit for you in that friendship. Your friends should be good Muslims who remind you of the times for salaat, encouraging you to do good deeds, attending Islamic events and lectures together and if your friend is not even a Muslim how will he/she do any of that? This was the advice of the sheikh.

get what I'm saying? Talk to them about Islam, give them time to come around, and if you see some interest from them for Islam, alhamdulilah that is good, but if not then what's the point of being friends with someone who will probably just have a bad influence on you.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Wa alaykum Salam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,

The Christians and the Jews are closest to us. - The polytheists such as the Hindus etc are vastly different in their beliefs, and in the way we interact with them - such as eating from their foods etc. - However, you and your friends should act kindly to her. Do not just ignore her, rather give her good advice with regards to your studies, but also make sure she understands and learns more about Islam. - Tell her about Allah subhana wa ta'ala, about our belief in Tawheed.

wasalamu alaykum

rightpath_357

Salam :)

Thank you for the good advice. She is very quiet, and won't have that much of an influence if any, but we Insha'Allah will not be affected by anything. And her family understands our dietary restrictions and such, and have gone so far as to make everything veggie, though they do eat some meat. But Insha'Allah I'll heed this advice. We do try to make a positive influence on her. JazakAllah Khayran :)

Libinette

Umm Zubayr
Assalam 'aleiki sis,

Good answers above, just wanted to add a hadith which you should bear in mind:

The Prophet salla Allaah 'aleihi wa salaam is reported to have said:
'Do not befriend except a believer (mu'min) and do not share your food except with the pious'

Befriend = telling her your secrets ect..

sachin4islam

I'd like to point out most Hindu's are vegetarian.

Assalamu Alaikum:

Trends are changing much faster and now majority of Hindus often feed upon Non-Veg foods. Here in my city meat is getting expensive day by day and Muslims claim that the rates have climbed upon for the reason that Hindus have started taking meat. Muslims are largely poor and can't afford to cook meat frequently.

I am a Muslim but still a strict Vegetarian.

Regards.

sachin4islam

Wa alaykum Salam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,

The Christians and the Jews are closest to us. - The polytheists such as the Hindus etc are vastly different in their beliefs, and in the way we interact with them - such as eating from their foods etc. - However, you and your friends should act kindly to her. Do not just ignore her, rather give her good advice with regards to your studies, but also make sure she understands and learns more about Islam. - Tell her about Allah subhana wa ta'ala, about our belief in Tawheed.

wasalamu alaykum

Assalamu Alaikum: Br.

I would like to mention that Hinduism is not at all a religion. The original and basic religion of so called Hindus is "Sanatan Dharma" meaning Eternal religion,which in other words (not in literary sense) means Islam.

The basic scriptures (Vedas) of so called Hindus have no mention of Idol worship and hence polytheism is refuted from gross level. Tawheed is clear and distinct message of Vedas.

Regards.