Bikinis and Mens shower

somewhatinspired

Because I wear a costume and so does my wife, to the swimming pool/beach, does not mean my belief in my faith is meaningless'
Other people look at my wife. I look at other peoples wives. If it's for ulterior motives, then that is sinful. God does not prescribe a dress code. As for modesty? Well that's not defined either. Women swimming in the olympic games wearing tight fitting costumes. Is that considered immodest??
Its neither in the scriptures or the Qur'an. We even look at muslim women even when they are dressed to the hilt. It happens all the time whether they are fully dressed or not. Yes the scriptures talk about modesty. Is wearing a bikini for the purpose of going for a swim and having a tan a sin? Of course not.
My wife is precious to me. She trusts me I trust her.
I do not "own" her. God owns her. She is a lifelong companion given to me by God as an equal person who God has united in matrimony. If i can wear a costume then she can. There is no sin there.
Now,Lets also put it the other way round. A muscular man wearing a costume. Are you telling me that women, and I mean all women, muslims included, look at these men and do not have the same feelings of lust as men do?
That means men too must dress 'modestly'.
If you find it really offensive then don't go to the beach.
Yes it is her choice and that is her right.
And God sets sets limits. In a sense you're probably right there. But if you transgress those limits then you sin. And when you sin you're answerable to God and nobody else. That means if I look at an attractive woman with a lustful heart, then I have transgressed Gods limits. And if I dont, despite the temptation, then my heart is with God and he will reward me. HE has given me that choice in the face of temptation. Its up to me and only me as a grown up adult to make that choice

there is one thing i always try to keep in mind.

if you look once by accident don't look twice, because if you look twice the sin is on you.

nobody will prevent your daughters from wearing bikinis, and no one will ever make you understand why Islam prescribes modesty to us.

the Quran makes how we should dress very clear,
i think some of the sisters who frequent these forums could make it clear that no one owns them in any way.
i find that more women convert to Islam than men. i emphasize by choice, often during college while educating themselves.

personally, as a man i was never comfortable naked or even in a bathing suit around others.and as a man, i know that if a woman walks by in her underwear, it is very hard not to have sinful thoughts.that is why we are told to lower our gaze.

there are plenty of men who do not think it is a sin at all to look at women,
and if you think they are not staring at your daughters at the beach or while tanning you are incredibly naive. because most men go to the beach for that reason. i live by the beach and grew up avoiding it because my friends would wanna go hang out and check out all the girls from school in their bikinis.

it may not bother you at all, and thats fine by me. but as a Muslim, i would certainly not want you to see my wife in her underwear.
and i know for a fact my wife would never want you to either.

we are Muslim exclusively by choice. and there is nothing debatable, as far as any of us go on the subject of womens bathing suits in public.

in a world where sex is fed to us in every form on every tv add, and billboard, in every rap video, and sitcom. in every magazine and clothing store.
i personally think that our respect for women has decreased so much because of this. i personally look at women as being far more valuable as human beings than billboards and music videos.

it is not surprising to me that most people in the west have become immune to it. its unavoidable.

i think women are far more beautiful on the inside than on the outside. and i think that it is hard to look at a woman for what she really is when she is walking around half naked or in her underwear.

i could go on for hours, and i really do understand your way of thinking,
but no one told you not to do it, or to stop your daughters from doing it.

you have found a very good source to learn about Muslim culture and how we base our lives around what we believe. i hope you can come to terms with what we do in order to understand what we believe.

umm hussain

Because I wear a costume and so does my wife, to the swimming pool/beach, does not mean my belief in my faith is meaningless'
Other people look at my wife. I look at other peoples wives. If it's for ulterior motives, then that is sinful. God does not prescribe a dress code. As for modesty? Well that's not defined either. Women swimming in the olympic games wearing tight fitting costumes. Is that considered immodest??
Its neither in the scriptures or the Qur'an. We even look at muslim women even when they are dressed to the hilt. It happens all the time whether they are fully dressed or not. Yes the scriptures talk about modesty. Is wearing a bikini for the purpose of going for a swim and having a tan a sin? Of course not.
My wife is precious to me. She trusts me I trust her.
I do not "own" her. God owns her. She is a lifelong companion given to me by God as an equal person who God has united in matrimony. If i can wear a costume then she can. There is no sin there.
Now,Lets also put it the other way round. A muscular man wearing a costume. Are you telling me that women, and I mean all women, muslims included, look at these men and do not have the same feelings of lust as men do?
That means men too must dress 'modestly'.
If you find it really offensive then don't go to the beach.
Yes it is her choice and that is her right.
And God sets sets limits. In a sense you're probably right there. But if you transgress those limits then you sin. And when you sin you're answerable to God and nobody else. That means if I look at an attractive woman with a lustful heart, then I have transgressed Gods limits. And if I dont, despite the temptation, then my heart is with God and he will reward me. HE has given me that choice in the face of temptation. Its up to me and only me as a grown up adult to make that choice

The command to wear the veil is found in both the Quran and Bible. However, the reason for the command is different when you compare the two books.

Lets see what the Quran says...

Surah 33:59

Prophet! Tell thy wives and thy daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks close round them (when they go abroad). That will be better, so that they may be recognized and not annoyed. Allah is ever Forgiving, Merciful.

So the Quran says that women should wear the veil so that they can be recognized (as pious Muslim women) and then no one would bother flirting or annoying them. There are other reasons given in Hadith but I am just showing the Quran.

Lets compare this with the Bible...

1 Corinthians 11:3-12

Now I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man, and the head of Christ is God. Every man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonours his head. And every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonours her head—it is just as though her head were shaved. If a woman does not cover her head, she should have her hair cut off; and if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut or shaved off, she should cover her head. A man ought not to cover his head,[a] since he is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of man. For man did not come from woman, but woman from man; neither was man created for woman, but woman for man. 1For this reason, and because of the angels the woman ought to have a sign of authority on her head.

So we see that since the man is the glory of God and the woman is the glory of man then she has to wear the veil as a sign of authority. Her wearing the veil shows that she is subjected in authority to the man.

So the Quran tells women to wear the veil for purposes of recognition, safety and honour and the Bible tells women to wear the veil so that it can show that they are subjected to man in authority and so that they cannot tempt the angels to lust after them. Which book gives more honour to women?

Yes I was Christian before, Catholic to be exact and also during my search for the truth went to other christian denominations namely Salvation Army, Anglican and a few others till I found the truth in Islam. Before Islam I would not wear a bikini anyway. If I cannot go around in panties and a bra why should it be different when one decides to wear a 'bikini' I think these words are just used to beautify something so people end up not seeing the wrong in it.

1 Timothy 2:9 "I also want women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or expensive clothes,"
There goes the mini skirts, bikinis, and all of the sexually open cloths for women.

We have to keep in mind that this society uses women to advertise almost everything especially in men magazines even chocolate bars. Women are not free or liberated. I do not see anything liberating in being used as a commercial tool.

The Bible or Scriptures degrade women a lot for example

1 Timothy 2:11-15
11 A woman should learn in quietness and full submission.
12 I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent.

13 For Adam was formed first, then Eve.
14 And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner.
15 But women[a] will be saved through childbearing–if they continue in faith, love and holiness with propriety.

Anyway this topic is too long to go into but I would suggest you look at Islam with an open mind clear from any misconceptions and not speak of what one has heard but rather what Islam truly says and I feel you have come to the right place as a starting point but it is always better to sit down with someone with knowledge to answer any questions you might have and clear misconceptions because non of us are established scholars but in a learning process as well but will convey the little that we know. A local mosque is a good place to start.

kayleigh

Most women I know wouldn't feel uncomfortable wearing a bikini everywhere else besides the beach. They just don't do it because of unspoken social and cultural rules.

I do agree that it is immodest. Extremely immodest, actually. But BGfromGB or whatever his username is is right - rape isn't about what you're wearing at all. It has absolutely nothing to do with it, and there isn't any good research and statistics to back it up. Rapes don't happen more on beaches, because bikinis have nothing to do with it. Actually, statistically, most women are raped while wearing jeans.

As for dancing (someone brought it up) - I agree that modern dancing (grinding, etc.) is pointless and has no real purpose besides sexual arousal, but I don't think that all dancing is pointless an stupid. Yes, by the laws and rules of Islam women shouldn't do it in front of other men, but dancing is a form of expression - a very ancient form.

And again to BGfromGB - God does, in Christianity, prescribe a dress code. He gives you guidelines for modesty, although not as specific or as strict as Islamic dress codes.

Also, seeing naked men in showers will NOT "influence" anyone to "become gay". I'm sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but that's just illogical and that won't happen. And yes, there might be gay men, and they may check you out. Key word: might. Gay men are not so different in their sex drive as straight men are. I'm not saying you think this, but many people think that just because you're gay, you must want every single guy you lay eyes on. It doesn't work like that. Just like straight men aren't attracted to every woman, gay men aren't attracted to every man.

umm hussain

According to Christian Scriptures a man is spiritually higher than a woman just because he is a man

1 Corinthians 11:7-9

7A man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of man.
8For man did not come from woman, but woman from man;
9 neither was man created for woman, but woman for man.

In Islam, Allah Almighty considers all Believing men and women spiritually equal. He did, however, give men and women different roles and responsibilities in life because of their physical differences and limitations, but He, the Almighty, made it clear in the Noble Quran that men and women are spiritually equal in Islam.

Men also have a dress code in Islam, they have to cover from the naval to the knee and not wear anything tight or revealing even in front of other men and women don't show certain parts of their bodies in front of other women we can take off our headscarf's and show our arms and knees and below in front of other women.

Reading the scriptures and not implementing does not make sense

These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. They worship me in vain; their teachings are but rules taught by men.' (Matthew 15:8-10)

"Why do you call me, 'Lord, Lord,' and do not do what I say? I will show you what he is like who comes to me and hears my words and puts them into practice. He is like a man building a house, who dug down deep and laid the foundation on rock. When a flood came, the torrent struck that house but could not shake it, because it was well built. But the one who hears my words and does not put them into practice is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. The moment the torrent struck that house, it collapsed and its destruction was complete.". (Luke 6:47-49)

"Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!' (Matthew 7:21-23)

If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left, but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God. (Hebrews 10:26)

The bible also says
Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight. (1Peter 3:3-4)

Question: "Should a Christian woman wear a bikini?"

Answer: As a woman, I have considered this question many times myself. Here are some verses from God's Word and some of my thoughts: God calls women to modesty, which means to not draw attention to themselves: 1 Timothy 2:9-10 says, "I also want women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God."

God calls us to purity: 1 Timothy 4:12 says, "Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity."

God calls all people to control their thought lives, so as women, we should not cause men to lust: Matthew 5:27-29 says, "You have heard that it was said, 'Do not commit adultery.' But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart." 1 John 2:16-17 says, "For everything in the world-the cravings of sinful man, the lust of his eyes and the boasting of what he has and does-comes not from the Father but from the world. The world and its desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever."

God calls women to discretion. I love this verse! Proverbs 11:22 says, "Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a beautiful woman who shows no discretion." Your body is God's. Romans 12:1-2 says, "Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God-this is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is-his good, pleasing and perfect will."

I have made the commitment not to wear a bikini unless I am in a private location, like my fenced-in back yard. According to the verses above, I have the responsibility to not put the males around me in a position that they might lust or have impure thoughts (see also Matthew 18:7). Most bikinis are very small and don't cover a lot of skin...they don't leave much to the imagination!

What if I dress modestly and a man still lusts after me? I'm not responsible for that lust. In this case, the responsibility for impure thoughts lies solely on the man. So, for me, I don't wear bikinis in public as a statement of purity.

This is a modest Christian woman speaking not me and from a Christian website. Christians who follow original teachings or close to it but at the the same time I am not promoting Christianity as it has its many shortcomings to put it lightly

Globalpeace

Banned
Provocative dressing!

Asslamo Allaikum,

Some men and women should be banned and sent to an uninhabited island for wearing provocative clothes; I have seen some AWFUL people in Bikinis in my time…

It should be classified as a Serious crime!

Man-O-Man! Some people just haven’t got it.

Asslamo Allaikum,

Some men and women should be banned and sent to an uninhabited island for wearing provocative clothes; I have seen some AWFUL people in Bikinis in my time…

It should be classified as a Serious crime!

Man-O-Man! Some people just haven’t got it.

More like a serious murder - It kills your heart lol

wasalaam

Most women I know wouldn't feel uncomfortable wearing a bikini everywhere else besides the beach. They just don't do it because of unspoken social and cultural rules.

I do agree that it is immodest. Extremely immodest, actually. But BGfromGB or whatever his username is is right - rape isn't about what you're wearing at all. It has absolutely nothing to do with it, and there isn't any good research and statistics to back it up. Rapes don't happen more on beaches, because bikinis have nothing to do with it. Actually, statistically, most women are raped while wearing jeans.

As for dancing (someone brought it up) - I agree that modern dancing (grinding, etc.) is pointless and has no real purpose besides sexual arousal, but I don't think that all dancing is pointless an stupid. Yes, by the laws and rules of Islam women shouldn't do it in front of other men, but dancing is a form of expression - a very ancient form.

And again to BGfromGB - God does, in Christianity, prescribe a dress code. He gives you guidelines for modesty, although not as specific or as strict as Islamic dress codes.

Also, seeing naked men in showers will NOT "influence" anyone to "become gay". I'm sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but that's just illogical and that won't happen. And yes, there might be gay men, and they may check you out. Key word: might. Gay men are not so different in their sex drive as straight men are. I'm not saying you think this, but many people think that just because you're gay, you must want every single guy you lay eyes on. It doesn't work like that. Just like straight men aren't attracted to every woman, gay men aren't attracted to every man.

Asalaamalikum,

You're saying rape has NOTHING to do with what the person is wearing?? I disagree. I'm sure that is a factor. If a woman dresses provocative, I think she has a higher chance of getting raped. Watch what rape victims talk about what they were wearing and you will see. Also them (usually women) walking alone in the dark is a factor.

If gay men checks you out in the mens shower, then isn't that called influencing and encouraging him? Let's just say it's best to avoid taking showers naked with other men.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

I read all the posts. Please forgive me as I write..

Once when I was very young and foolish and rebellious..and was I...I wore bikinis to the beach. I was in the state of ignorance. I knew I was liberated. No-one could tell me any thing.
If a man looked at me I got angry. I was liberated and he was not supposed to look at me as a sex object. However, I spent many an hour at the gym to be a perfect size 4. My ego was a size 5000. That does not even make sense. I was flaunting myslef but insisting that I be acknowledged as an intelligent woman.
When a person is in a state of ignorance..there is no sense. They are mutally exclusive. The women who wear bikinis are not aware. There are even unspoken codes of modesty when wearing bikini's. For example you wear a bikini on the beach or the pool; but you cover up..as soon as you leave the beach area.
Western men want to flaunt their women. A woman is an object of beauty to be displayed. When a man has a beautiful woman on his arm he knows he is something. Other men will admire his masculinity for being able to obtain and hold on to the beautiful woman. When you walk through the steets of Europe do you not see the successful older man with the tall Texan blonde on is arm?
In summary, let us be kind to the women who live in ignorance. They do not understand that beauty is not an object..it is a virtue. They are raised to become objects of desire..they are raised to arouse jealousy in other men..to feed the ego of their man. Let Muslim women lead by example. Because, it was Muslim women who brought me out of a state of ignorance into a state of grace.

eemaan1

Salaam,

Once when I was very young and foolish and rebellious..and was I...I wore bikinis to the beach. I was in the state of ignorance. I knew I was liberated. No-one could tell me any thing.
If a man looked at me I got angry. I was liberated and he was not supposed to look at me as a sex object. However, I spent many an hour at the gym to be a perfect size 4. My ego was a size 5000. That does not even make sense. I was flaunting myslef but insisting that I be acknowledged as an intelligent woman.
When a person is in a state of ignorance..there is no sense. They are mutally exclusive. The women who wear bikinis are not aware. There are even unspoken codes of modesty when wearing bikini's. For example you wear a bikini on the beach or the pool; but you cover up..as soon as you leave the beach area.
Western men want to flaunt their women. A woman is an object of beauty to be displayed. When a man has a beautiful woman on his arm he knows he is something. Other men will admire his masculinity for being able to obtain and hold on to the beautiful woman. When you walk through the steets of Europe do you not see the successful older man with the tall Texan blonde on is arm?
In summary, let us be kind to the women who live in ignorance. They do not understand that beauty is not an object..it is a virtue. They are raised to become objects of desire..they are raised to arouse jealousy in other men..to feed the ego of their man. Let Muslim women lead by example. Because, it was Muslim women who brought me out of a state of ignorance into a state of grace.

well said sis

Globalpeace

Banned
Crimes against Humanity!

W-Salam Aapa,

I have read your post & please do forgive me as I write.

We (men) believe that any size 4,6,8 or strrreeeetchin 10 can be seen wearing Bikini in public.

Any other size women audacious enough to be caught in such an act should be publicly tried for “Crimes Against Humanity” under the Geneva convention.

Salaam,

amyaishazouaoui

W-Salam Aapa,

I have read your post & please do forgive me as I write.

We (men) believe that any size 4,6,8 or strrreeeetchin 10 can be seen wearing Bikini in public.

Any other size women audacious enough to be caught in such an act should be publicly tried for “Crimes Against Humanity” under the Geneva convention.

:salam2:

OOOOOIIIII beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Just coz there is a larger lady, doesnt mean she is not beautiful.
Skinny women can also be "ugly" but it depends on what a particular man likes!!

( As for 4,6,8,10 in biinis, agreed, are we talking uk sizes.....if so I will get the W F!!!!! hehe)

All women, liberate yourselves by covering. Love yourselves for who YOU are and not what you look like. Be proud of what you achieve, no matter how big or small. Make progress every day. Be you, not a piece of meat.

My cousin is a dancer in a well known seedy club in london , St********ows! It makes me sad to think men look at her like a piece of meat in a shop window, she does it for the money, but money is not really that important as long as there is enough to get by and all her friends call her fat when she is a uk size 8.

La hawla wa la quata ila billah.

May Allah guide us...Ameeen

Ws

AA

somewhatinspired

i dont think

i don't think any Muslim man should comment about the acceptable bikini sizes of women. jokingly or not.

it makes us look like hypocrites to people who stumble upon these forums.
the people speaking to each other know its a joke..(i hope) but others might not get it.

we say women should cover and then talk about what size is acceptable for women who don't cover to wear?

i don't think any one should look at a womans weight, especially in a judging manner. i think it is rude.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Brother,

I am the one that brought the size up. Why..as you know it is an obession in America. Women who should be in a size twelve pair of jeans squeeze into an 8.
You are correct we should not joke...but human nature is such that we do joke...

kayleigh

Asalaamalikum,

You're saying rape has NOTHING to do with what the person is wearing?? I disagree. I'm sure that is a factor. If a woman dresses provocative, I think she has a higher chance of getting raped. Watch what rape victims talk about what they were wearing and you will see. Also them (usually women) walking alone in the dark is a factor.

If gay men checks you out in the mens shower, then isn't that called influencing and encouraging him? Let's just say it's best to avoid taking showers naked with other men.

I think what you're saying about women is an over generalization and one that I disagree with entirely. Like I said, statistically, the average rape victim (in the West) is wear jeans. Jeans do no always mean provocative according to Western culture. Also, when people say this it makes it sound as if they're blaming the rape victim for their dress and surroundings, and the rape victim should never be blamed.

As for gay men, I thought you were talking about just straight guys and that the effect of seeing nude men in a shower would all of a sudden turn them gay. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Quratulaine

BGfromGB,

i'm not sure if you're aware of this, but christian women should also dress modestly... umm hussain had some great posts already about bible passages dealing with modesty... in addition:

1 Peter 3 talks about wearing modest clothes: 1Wives, in the same way be submissive to your husbands so that, if any of them do not believe the word, they may be won over without words by the behavior of their wives, 2when they see the purity and reverence of your lives. 3Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. 4Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight. 5For this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God used to make themselves beautiful.

and Matthew 5:27:

27"You have heard that it was said, 'Do not commit adultery.'[e] 28But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

so, in christianity, even just looking at a woman is like commiting adultury....so it would make sense that a practicing christian would want women to cover to avoid temptation!
before i was muslim and when I was younger, i used to go to the beach with my friends and think that wearing bathing suits was normal...basically the same point of view as BGfromGB. I thought that men are used to seeing women like that, it's socially acceptable, so no big deal.....but this is very naive thinking.... this is not the way things are. unfortunately, men will always have bad behavior, and women need to protect themselves!

38khadj

yes i agree with u , the thinking of non muslim women amazes me everyday.
:wasalam:

You have to understand that if they dont know any different how can they see it as wrong. This is just normal for many many years ladies have worn swimming suits bikinis so how can they realise it is wrong.
Islam tells us this but you carnt expect every non - muslim to read up on our religion do we read up on theirs?
We should firstly look to how we can educate ourselves and then have the understanding not to condem non-muslims but to give dauwh by example which come on us muslims arent exactly doing a brillent job at in general are we?
May Allah guide us as we are surly in need of it till lthe day we die- especially me.
:wasalam: :blackhijab:

hussain.mahammed

a lonely traveller
We should really oppose this system of revealing clothes, both my men and women, and also mens and womens shower.
These things are really disgusting. These disbelievers dont have shame even, and the hypocrites agree with them in these cases.
Allahu Akbar Allahu Akbar Allahu Akbar....Hasbi Allahu wa niyamal wakeel
These are really some signs of the Day of Judgement approaching.
wa/salam