Body piercing

Believer1985

I have both ears pierced and tattoos on my body are these against islam for a man? i had them 10 years ago whilst being muslim.

I dont see how wearing studs in ears is harmful to men.

:salam2:

Men are not allowed to wear earring because they are an imitation of women. Women wore earrings in the times of our Prophet (PBUH) and he never dissuaded them, though he did say men shouldn't imitate women and vice versa.

As for tattoos...well, they are haram for both men and women.

Hope that helps :)

:wasalam:

***EDIT***

You may find this link helpful. I don't know if you can trust anything you read online completely, but it's worth reading to get a gist of it :)

http://muslimconverts.com/cosmetics/tattoos.htm

Um Ibrahim

Alhamdulilah :)

Men are not allowed to wear earring because they are an imitation of women. Women wore earrings in the times of our Prophet (PBUH) and he never dissuaded them, though he did say men shouldn't imitate women and vice versa.

As for tattoos...well, they are haram for both men and women.

Hope that helps :)

:wasalam:

***EDIT***

You may find this link helpful. I don't know if you can trust anything you read online completely, but it's worth reading to get a gist of it :)

http://muslimconverts.com/cosmetics/tattoos.htm

Not to change the subject or anything, but what about Muslim women who wear pants, why are they not considered imitating men? Just wondering. Because we know even American and European women didn't used to wear pants just until the 1930s and 1940s, so it was considered very bad even in the west back then, it just became popular and ok for women after the whole feminist movement where women got a lot of rights. And now many sisters will get mad and say pants is not just for men and that women can wear them when someone advises them that pants is just not a proper hijab.

John Smith

Men having body piercings have nothing to do with imitating women,have some ever considered culture and what part that plays?

When people qutoe the hadith of the prophet (pbuh) abot imitating women i look at it from a point where a man actually cross dresses,uses make up,high heels and all that,not body piercing.

Sister Zohra

Men having body piercings have nothing to do with imitating women,have some ever considered culture and what part that plays?

When people qutoe the hadith of the prophet (pbuh) abot imitating women i look at it from a point where a man actually cross dresses,uses make up,high heels and all that,not body piercing.

Assalaam walaikum,

Men and peircing is a fuzzy area.

Assalamu Alaikum,

For the fuzzy areas:

On the authority of Al-Numan bin Basheer, who said : I heared the messenger of Allah say :

"That which is lawful is plain and that which is unlawful is plain and between the two of them are doubtful matters about which not many people know. Thus he who avoids doubtful matters clears himself in regard to his religion and his honor, but he who falls into doubtful matters falls into that which is unlawful, like the shepherd who pastures around a sanctuary, all but grazing therein. Truly every king has a sanctuary, and truly Allah's sanctuary is His prohibitions. Truly in the body there is a morsel of flesh which, if it be whole, all the body is whole and which, if it be diseased, all of it is diseased. Truly it is the heart."

narrated by Bukhari and Muslim

kayleigh

When I first read this, the first thing that came to mind was you getting your eyebrow/lip/tongue pierced haha. That was amusing.

But funny this topic was revived, because I'm getting my septum pierced soon.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

In my days as a college prof I had a nose piercing. It did not last too long but let me tell you it upset the administration for some reason. The ex-husband was even surprised.

Be careful and make sure you take care of yourself for the six months...

I can't imagine having a mini-ball in my mouth; that would impede me from talking...I would play with it all day long...no.....not for moi.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Yet, throughout history all cultures have had some form of body something or the other. There must be something to it. There is something we all share.

John Smith

Assalaam walaikum,

Yet, throughout history all cultures have had some form of body something or the other. There must be something to it. There is something we all share.

Must admit i know someone who would ache for a piercing,it gave some sort of relief from pain.

Did muslim men ever wore earings in the time of the prophet (PBUH) or even in the times of the companions (RA)?

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

The hadith that lets us know that the Prophet, may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him, accepted earrings from women lets us know that women took off the earrings and gave them for zakat. It is deduced from this hadith that women can wear earrings.

I do not know of any hadith of men and earrings.

In terms of pain relief it makes perfect sense...sort of acupuncture. And there are the bracelets and necklaces made of some sort of metal that rid pain. I am fascinated by the infomercial about perfect balance.

John Smith

Assalaam walaikum,

The hadith that lets us know that the Prophet, may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him, accepted earrings from women lets us know that women took off the earrings and gave them for zakat. It is deduced from this hadith that women can wear earrings.

I do not know of any hadith of men and earrings.

In terms of pain relief it makes perfect sense...sort of acupuncture. And there are the bracelets and necklaces made of some sort of metal that rid pain. I am fascinated by the infomercial about perfect balance.

Aapa,you know you are treading on thin ice regarding bracelets as they fall into the category of shirk if im not incorrect.

As for the acupunture and earings you do have a point.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Well..I am not thinking about amulets. I am thinking simply of the metallic based bracelets used strictly for medicinal use. We have to intake metals, we wear metal, some ingest silver and gold for medicinal use.

Forgive me for not making myself clear. I am not advocating voodoo magic stuff or the amulets of the subcontinent.

Am I making any sense?

Shak78

I had my tongue pierced for about 7 years and got it taken out 2 years ago when I got pregnant. Between playing with it and just wear and tear I managed to break my two back molars and had to get them removed. My mom was horrified when I got it pierced and found it so gross if she even saw it.

John Smith

Assalaam walaikum,

Well..I am not thinking about amulets. I am thinking simply of the metallic based bracelets used strictly for medicinal use. We have to intake metals, we wear metal, some ingest silver and gold for medicinal use.

Forgive me for not making myself clear. I am not advocating voodoo magic stuff or the amulets of the subcontinent.

Am I making any sense?

Oh i get were you are coming from,its just 1 or 2 young ones on the forum might view it differently.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

The power of education. I am a big fan of alternative therapies. A metallic bracelet worn around the wrist has been proven to prevent painful flairs of arthritis. That seems to make mores sense than taking 100 pills.

What this has to do with body piercing I am not sure..but there is something cross-cultural and historical about both.

As for the young ones..they can widen the horizons. I am sure there is someone who will find hadith for me. InshaAllah.

Tomtom

Banned
Kathir bin 'Amr bin 'Awf Al-Muzani narrated from his father, from his grandfather, that the Messenger of Allah () said:
"Reconciliation is allowed among the Muslims, except for reconciliation that makes the lawful unlawful, or the unlawful lawful. And the Muslims will be held to their conditions, except the conditions that make the lawful unlawful, or the unlawful lawful."
Tirmidhi
English reference: Vol. 3, Book 13, Hadith 1352
Arabic reference: Book 11, Hadith 1403