can Muslim read the Bible

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member
Assalamu aleikum
I have a question. I converted to Islam and I'm still learning.
Is it alowd for muslim to read the Bible and also follow the teachings of the Prophet Jesus.

Thank u all...

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic
:wasalam:

A number of scholars have stated that it is haraam to look at any of the books of the People of the Book, except for those who have deep knowledge, because we are commanded neither to believe nor disbelieve what they tell us about stories that are not present in our religion. There is no guarantee that the ordinary person who has no knowledge will not end up believing in falsehood and rejecting the truth. Moreover, man is weak and specious arguments may take root in the heart and it may be difficult to get rid of them. The following fatwa was issued by the Standing Committee:

“A great deal of distortion, addition and subtraction has befallen the previous divinely-revealed scriptures, as Allaah has stated, so it is not permissible for a Muslim to read them and study them, unless he is one who has deep knowledge and is seeking to explain the distortions and contradictions therein.” (3/311).

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic
:salam2:

No sister. That is an Islamic ruling by Muslim scholars.

It is not permitted to have any of the books prior to Islam because of the following :

- Anything helpful in them Allah illustrated in the Qur’an.

- The Qur’an contains what makes one in no need of such books.

Allah, Subhanahu Wata’ala, says, “It is He who has sent down the Book ( the Qur’an ) to you ( Mohammad ) in truth, confirming what came before it. “ therefore, everything useful in these Books is mentioned in the Qur’an.

The words sent by Allah to Jesus peace be upon Him and of which we may benefit are already in the Qur’an. Furthemore, the existing Bible is distorted, for there are four different scripts, each of which is violating the others. But seekers of knowledge who have the sight of differentiate between truth and wrong can study these books to refute what evil they include.

sajjuaiah

Assalamu aleikum
Is it alowd for muslim to read the Bible and also follow the teachings of the Prophet Jesus.

Thank u all...

:bismillah:

Happy to hear about you brother.

I think firstly you need to learn more about islam(Quran) then, very clearly you can know the differences between Quran & Bible.

Listen Islamic lectures specially in comperative relegion.

Listen the lectures of non-muslims who reverted to islam.

Thanks bro :

May Allah help you.
jazakmullah hu Khairan

“And whosoever fears Allah and keeps his duty to Him, He will make a
him to get out (from every difficulty).
And He will provide him from (sources) he never could imagine. And whosoever
puts his trust in Allah, then He will suffice him. Verily, Allah will accomplish
purpose. Indeed Allah has set a measure for all things”[al-Talaaq 65:2-3]

justoneofmillion

she is a sister, hint: aisha
thanks for correcting her brother "umm" hussain you should put a big cake or a flower next to your name i think:SMILY335: so for those who don`t understand arabic to know i won`t make the mistake twice you scared all of us yesterday so peace:p :tongue:

Mohsin

abdu'Allah
Asslamu-alaikum

How about putting a gender mark there, something like this

gender.jpg

so that ppl can understand and brothers and sisters do not feel irritated. lol ......... i feel funny.
Ma'ssalaam

newusman

Muslim
Islam & christianity

Salam. well you can probably listen to various lectures given by Dr. Zakir Naik & Shaikh Ahmed Deedat.

Similarities between islam and christianity Part1
http://youtube.com/watch?v=3ZM1_AV1lYs

Similarities between islam and christianity Part2
http://youtube.com/watch?v=b2_XSM3J2NQ

InshAllah the following will be of good use,
By Yusuf Estes - Former Christian - Muslim Chaplain
"What Scholars of Bible Say About Their Book" - and more...

http://www.islamtomorrow.com/bible/

and if you looking for even more then , Bible Compared to Quran
Based on transcripts of vairous lectures given by Yusuf Estes & Dr. Gary Miller
http://www.islamtomorrow.com/articles/Bible_vs_Quran.asp

Wa-Salam

Assalamu aleikum

Thank u all...

quran and sunnah is the only way and also enough way to get the paradies.

have we allready all those hadiths and quran in my life or did i practise the teach of prophet muhammad(sw) and sahaba (rw)?

if i have those things in my life then i will may be try to get those knowledge but not before that, because in quran mentioned that quran is enough.

as i am a normal muslim i started to read bible first before quran and i got a lot problems with my iman.

i thought i will be able to teach others and i was wrong.
i was not able even save my iman.:astag:

so as scholars mean that for a normal muslim its not good or they should not read the bible.

learnermuslim

Salaams sister Aisha1114,

Is it a sin to read the bible or follow Jesus' teachings I don't think so.

Islam is, as Allah states the ultimate refinement of religion for humans, it is therefore syncretic and there have been 124,000 (verify) prophets sent through time, hence the fact Islam does not allow any mockery of other religions. Man distorts the truth, so any right mode of worship / faith is viewed as islamic. bit of a link for you here :

http://www.islamanswers.net/Prophets/prophets.htm

Jesus, Hazrat Isa, preached islam as did Moses, Musa and all others mentioned in the Quran and not. However, as their teachings have been distorted by man whereas Islam which due to Allah's protection (via the Quran, not being changed and Mohammed (PBUH) being the most recorded prophet) you have the ultimate way right at your fingertips and now on your screen, so trying to find the real christianity or Judaism would just eat up your time and take away time for your own development and rewards. Remember it will be Hazrat Isa, Jesus who comes down and defeats the Dajjal, inshAllah.

So reading about other religions is not wrong only following them, I mean how would you be able to tell the difference between the two or more importantly see the similarities and hence recognise the truth if you did not know what is being compared.

One last word, anything said should be verified by you (applies to everyone, not just you) yourself till your intellect, heart and soul are satisfied, so please check and re-check anything anyone says, especially me. You have the best resources for that, the Quran , correct hadiths and your ownself, those are your ultimate guides.

By the way, I got a B at Divinity at Common Entrance and I survived :) (still a Muslim Alhamdolilah) So people who say that reading other material had problems with their Iman, that could be them and not that fact they read something. And before I have to duck to avoid the ensuing pelting, remember our Prophet sent Muslims fleeing persecution to the Just Christian king in Ehtopia, he wouldn't have done that if it would have lead people astray.

Right/good = Islam Wrong/bad= Shaitan

Hope that helped and you will further confirm/dispel any wrong I have written by your own intelligence and research, plus pray for my forgiveness if I have been wrong.

Fi amanAllah

Allah Knows Best

P.S. so hard to give full answers in such a short space of time and without reference to a few books.

justoneofmillion

sister i think that now that you are a muslim you are already folowing the teachings of the propehts peace be upon them all!!!!there are 27 seven different bibles!each and everyone of them says something different about certain crucial event so just ask yourself were there 27 gods that wrote twenty seven bibles or one god that had to correct himself 27 times! am not going into the details because your question is not precise enough but ican teel you that today even the biggest christian teologians like hans küng, gerd lüdemman, john hick, or paul schwarznau are recognising the christologie of the quran as being the correct one(even if the ordinary christian volk doesn`t know about it for obvious might and hyrarchical reasons, and to keep people away from the truth so that they may continue to feed capitalism) sister i sujest you learn more about islam first and then read what ever book you want so that you might have a more objectiv approach! it doesn`t take a divinity degree to prove the bible wrong, even an elementary school child could do it!

peersab

Abu Hurayra (a very close companion of rasoolullah s.a.w) narrates that (in the early days of islam) the jews used to explain the towra(the book that was given to Musa) in arabic to the muslms(it was originaly in hebrew). so prophet s.a.w. said "do not belive them nor reject them, just say that we bring faith in Allah and what has sent down" (Muslim - the second most authentic book on compilation of hadith)

meaning that if they say somethin which acording to quran and sunnah then beleive or else dont. if something is agains quran then reject it.

but remember this was in the early days of islam when the campanmions still had relations with christian and jews. later on when islam became strong,

Hazrat umar said to rasool s.a.w that i hear thing from the jews which astonish me. prophet became angry and said r u following/studying other books whilst the quran is being reveled , Indeed i hav come to u with a clean/clear book (i.e. quran), if Musa was to b alive, he would hav to follow me' (Mishkaat - a famous authentic book of compilation of hadith)

hence, in this day and age, if a person reads bible, tawra for his/her benefit it will not b permissble. if a person does to owerthrow a christian/jew in debates then it is permissblie (like the famous Dr Zakir Naik)

bayareabilal

makakilo
No it is not okay or helpful or anything like that

There are loads of reasons why but the best of them is the last one I listed. As for the rest of them...well for starters Isa's "teachings" are not all there since the people of the book destoyed some of them and adulterated still others. IF THAT IS NOT REASON ENOUGH how about this---in the bible it tells people not to do certain things...yet when you waltz into a church you can see for your very eyes the followers of Isa's "teachings" doing EXACTLY what is prescribed not to do. So if you want to read things written, compiled and adulterated by the very people that are blatantly disobeying what their "holy book" says...then you need to rethink your mode of operation.

Decoration of Trees: It is forbidden in Bible (Jeremiah 10:2-5). Muslim do not decorate trees.

Pork Forbidden: God ordered Moses: “And the swine is unclean to you… ”(Leviticus 11:7). Jesus never ate pork in his life. Muslims never eat pork.

Usury / Interest Forbidden: “Take thou no usury…” (Leviticus). “He has put not out his money to usury.” (Psalms 15:5). Interest is forbidden in Islam.

The Rejected Stone: Jesus spoke of the kingdom of God being taken away…given to the rejected stone… (Genesis 21:13-18). The rejected stone is the nation of Ishmael, the nation of Muhammad.

Jesus foretold about Muhammad: “…he shall give you another comforter…” (John 14:15-16)

Jesus said: “I have many things to say unto you, but you can’t bear them now…he will show you things to come…(John 16:14). The message of Jesus was incomplete. Another prophet was needed to guide mankind.

Gospel of Barnabas: “…Muhammad is his blessed name.” (Ch. 96-97)

Gospel of Barnabas
1. Barnabas was a very close companion of Jesus. The Bible refers to him as an "apostle" (Acts 14:14), "a good man, full of the Holy Spirit and of faith" (Acts 11:24).
2. In 325AD, the followers of St. Paul gained control at the council of Nicea and made the following changes: It canonized the 4 Greek Gospels that are read today. All other Gospels including Gospel of Barnabas were ordered to be destroyed. The only Gospel written in Aramaic, the language that Jesus spoke, was also destroyed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Verses from the Gospel of Barnabas…
Jesus said: “God one hath no equal…He hath no father nor mother; he hath no sons, nor brethren, nor companions…”

Jesus said: “… I am man, born of mortal woman, subject to the judgment of God, suffering the miseries of eating and sleeping, of cold and heat, like other men. When God shall come to judge, my words like a sword shall pierce each one that believes me to be more than man.” :SMILY209:

The priest asked Jesus: 'Art thou the Messiah of God….?’ Jesus answered: ‘…indeed I am not he…and (he) shall come after me …for God himself gave him the name …Muhammad is his blessed name”

AND IN CLOSING MY FELLOW BROTHERS AND SISTERS IN ISLAM___----___
“I (God) have perfected your religion for you…have chosen for you Islam as your religion” (Quran 5:3).

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
salaam sister

i would say that it is unecessary to read the bible. why? because we have the quran for guidance. the bible is loaded with half-truths, truths and lies all together. whereas the quran is the entire truth throughout it's sacred pages. a horse and buggy can take you to the shopping mall, but why use that when you can drive your mercedes to the mall? that's what continuing bible reading is like when you have the quran. the bible is like that horse and buggy. i mean no disrespect to any christians here on the site.

justoneofmillion

there is an old very oooooooldexpression that goes like this:

"THE QURAN IS A SPEAKING UNIVERS AND THE UNIVERS IS A SILENT QURAN"

sinbad