Canada should not abandon Afghans, PM says in Australia

Ahmed ibn Ibrahim

alhamdulilah
Last Updated: Tuesday, September 11, 2007 | 8:31 AM ET
CBC News

Rather than set an arbitrary timeline to pull its troops out of Afghanistan, Canada should see the mission through until the Afghan people are able to stand alone and take over security responsibilities in their country, Prime Minister Stephen Harper said Tuesday.

Characterizing the Afghan mission as a "global and necessary" cause, Harper told Australia's Parliament in Canberra on Tuesday morning (local time) that although he understands that Canadian support is divided on the mission, it would not be right to walk away from the Afghan people.

"We should work towards the objective instead of a particular arbitrary timeline — that's my sense," Harper said. "But I hope the debate in Canada will turn to really what should we do? What's the right thing to do? Because I don't hear anybody in the world saying the right thing to do is abandon the people of Afghanistan."

Harper addressed Australia's government on the sixth anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001, terror strikes against the U.S. As the events of that tragic date showed, he said, "if we abandon our fellow human beings to lives of poverty, brutality and ignorance in today's global village, their misery will eventually and inevitably become our own."

Troops respond to 'wishes of politicians'
Earlier this week, Harper said there would be no vote on whether to extend Canada's military mission in Afghanistan beyond February 2009 until the Conservatives and opposition parties can agree to a new Canadian mandate.

'What's the right thing to do? Because I don't hear anybody in the world saying the right thing to do is abandon the people of Afghanistan.'
—Prime Minister Stephen HarperCanada currently has about 2,500 soldiers in Afghanistan.

The CBC's David Common, reporting from Kandahar, said on Tuesday that the official view from the Canadian Forces in Afghanistan was that soldiers "see it as their responsibility to respond effectively to the wishes of politicians and of Canadians."

Howard acknowledges Canada's 'heavy burden'
"If [soldiers] are dispatched here in Afghanistan, they do their job. If the mission is extended, they do so. If not, they go home and pull up," Common said.

Anecdotally, he said, soldiers have reported some progress in the region despite rising levels of violence.

In Canberra, Harper commended his Australian counterpart, John Howard, for the work of his country's 550 troops deployed in Afghanistan. Howard returned the compliment, noting that Canada was carrying "a very heavy burden" given the number of troops the nation has stationed there.

However, Howard would not say whether Australia would commit to expanding its combat role.

Since the mission began in 2002, Canada has lost 70 soldiers in the line of fire and one Canadian diplomat.

Assalamu Alaikum,

Canada abandoned the Afghan people long ago. The moment we invaded the country alongside the Americans, using a disproportionate military approach to a political/social problem. Depleted Uranium artillery shells, polluting vast areas of the Afghan homeland and leaving their people to the vile effects of radiation for years to come. What right do we have to do this? What hypocricy we've commited in claiming to fear for weapons of mass destruction, to then turn around and use the same radioactice technology against a largely innocent population! Shame on us...

And so what if their women wear burkas? It wasn't even 40 years ago that black people had to walk alongside the road instead of using the sidewalks, or be forced to sit at the back of public buses. Only a generation ago here in righteous North America minorities had virtually no rights, and I don't recall China or Britain invading us to correct our social issues! I'd rather wear a burka and not be able to drive (or whatever) than be black (40 years ago) and get burned alive. Give the Afghan people time and educational resources, not radioactive poisoning and bullet-holes!

WaAlaikum Salaam

Abdul-Raheem

Signing Out.....
Assalamu Alaikum,

Canada abandoned the Afghan people long ago. The moment we invaded the country alongside the Americans, using a disproportionate military approach to a political/social problem. Depleted Uranium artillery shells, polluting vast areas of the Afghan homeland and leaving their people to the vile effects of radiation for years to come. What right do we have to do this? What hypocricy we've commited in claiming to fear for weapons of mass destruction, to then turn around and use the same radioactice technology against a largely innocent population! Shame on us...

And so what if their women wear burkas? It wasn't even 40 years ago that black people had to walk alongside the road instead of using the sidewalks, or be forced to sit at the back of public buses. Only a generation ago here in righteous North America minorities had virtually no rights, and I don't recall China or Britain invading us to correct our social issues! I'd rather wear a burka and not be able to drive (or whatever) than be black (40 years ago) and get burned alive. Give the Afghan people time and educational resources, not radioactive poisoning and bullet-holes!

WaAlaikum Salaam

:salam2:

Well said Brother! Too much hypocrisy and double standards.....

wasalam

Southrn_Muslimah

bnqɯnɥ 'ɥɐq

Very nice feedback. Ever thought about giving a khutbah? :)

:wasalam:

Last Updated: Tuesday, September 11, 2007 | 8:31 AM ET
CBC News

Rather than set an arbitrary timeline to pull its troops out of Afghanistan, Canada should see the mission through until the Afghan people are able to stand alone and take over security responsibilities in their country, Prime Minister Stephen Harper said Tuesday.

Characterizing the Afghan mission as a "global and necessary" cause, Harper told Australia's Parliament in Canberra on Tuesday morning (local time) that although he understands that Canadian support is divided on the mission, it would not be right to walk away from the Afghan people.

"We should work towards the objective instead of a particular arbitrary timeline — that's my sense," Harper said. "But I hope the debate in Canada will turn to really what should we do? What's the right thing to do? Because I don't hear anybody in the world saying the right thing to do is abandon the people of Afghanistan."

Harper addressed Australia's government on the sixth anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001, terror strikes against the U.S. As the events of that tragic date showed, he said, "if we abandon our fellow human beings to lives of poverty, brutality and ignorance in today's global village, their misery will eventually and inevitably become our own."

Troops respond to 'wishes of politicians'
Earlier this week, Harper said there would be no vote on whether to extend Canada's military mission in Afghanistan beyond February 2009 until the Conservatives and opposition parties can agree to a new Canadian mandate.

'What's the right thing to do? Because I don't hear anybody in the world saying the right thing to do is abandon the people of Afghanistan.'
—Prime Minister Stephen HarperCanada currently has about 2,500 soldiers in Afghanistan.

The CBC's David Common, reporting from Kandahar, said on Tuesday that the official view from the Canadian Forces in Afghanistan was that soldiers "see it as their responsibility to respond effectively to the wishes of politicians and of Canadians."

Howard acknowledges Canada's 'heavy burden'
"If [soldiers] are dispatched here in Afghanistan, they do their job. If the mission is extended, they do so. If not, they go home and pull up," Common said.

Anecdotally, he said, soldiers have reported some progress in the region despite rising levels of violence.

In Canberra, Harper commended his Australian counterpart, John Howard, for the work of his country's 550 troops deployed in Afghanistan. Howard returned the compliment, noting that Canada was carrying "a very heavy burden" given the number of troops the nation has stationed there.

However, Howard would not say whether Australia would commit to expanding its combat role.

Since the mission began in 2002, Canada has lost 70 soldiers in the line of fire and one Canadian diplomat.

Assalamu Alaikum,

WaAlaikum Salaam

Ahmed ibn Ibrahim

alhamdulilah

Very nice feedback. Ever thought about giving a khutbah? :)

Hehe, maybe after I conquer my own fiery youth and my iman/knowledge are strong enough, I might concider giving sermons. Right now I'm just working on aquiring a worldly trade unfortunately (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer), but after I've established my skillset and my wife & I are settled, I'd like to study Islam in the Middle East (InshaAllah) so that I can work as a scholar/imam. Of course I'm learning slowly now, but perhaps in the future I will be a Shiek/Scholar/IT master and manifest da'wah, InshaAllah.

I could run an online Mosque - al-Masjid bin Internet - and broadcast the Prophet's (PBUH) message around the world. ;-p That'd be awesome.

I've got a long way to go yet, though... ;-(

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)

Hehe, maybe after I conquer my own fiery youth and my iman/knowledge are strong enough, I might concider giving sermons. Right now I'm just working on aquiring a worldly trade unfortunately (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer), but after I've established my skillset and my wife & I are settled, I'd like to study Islam in the Middle East (InshaAllah) so that I can work as a scholar/imam. Of course I'm learning slowly now, but perhaps in the future I will be a Shiek/Scholar/IT master and manifest da'wah, InshaAllah.

I could run an online Mosque - al-Masjid bin Internet - and broadcast the Prophet's (PBUH) message around the world. ;-p That'd be awesome.

I've got a long way to go yet, though... ;-(

Salam bro,

Dont worry you are still young.
InshAllah Allah gives you a long life .

hambaAllah

welcome back brother

:bismillah:

Well said Brother.. and :SMILY206:back to TTI,, really missed all those interesting articles of yours.....:salah: :tti_sister: May Allah swt made it easy for you in whatever you're pursuing...:inshallah: you could do dawaah on behalf of all the muslims in Canada, spreading your worldly and religious knowledge all over the world.

:wasalam::hijabi: