Change of name

Amir_of_spain

Patrick (noble) is a good/decent name, but Yusaf is very a nice name and because it refers to prophet Yusaf, its a better name. Choice is yours, but your family name should remain unchanged as its a marker of your family line. May god preserve u brother yusaf!

nazir

Asalaamu Alaykum brother,
Alhamdulillah it is good that you want to adopt the name of Yusuf, especially when one reads the story of this great Prophet peace be upon him; as however as brother Peter has rightly pointed out, it is not haraam to keep your current name as long as it does not have a bad meaning/violate Islamic principles. By extension, even if a name is in arabic and has a bad meaning then it should be discarded for another. Patrick, if it does mean noble, is not a haraam name, but if you want to out of love for keeping the name r Yusuf you can, but you cannot change your surname remember, as it was from your parents.
The choice is yours, may Allah reward you and continue to guide you and all of us.
Wassalaam

Bawar

Struggling2Surrender
... but you cannot change your surname remember, as it was from your parents.
The choice is yours,

Assalamu alaikum brother Patrick/Yusuf and brother Nazir.

Brother Nazir! If the choice is his, then he can change his surname too, if he wants.

Secondly, even if the surname has a bad meaning that goes against islamic belief, then it needs changing.

Hope I did not offend you dear brother.

As for you brother Patrick! I agree with brother Peter and brother Nazir. If it does mean "noble" then it is a beautiful name and there is no harm in it.

But if out of humility towards Allah ta'ala, you prefer to change it, then it shows the purity of your heart and how much you want to humble yourself towards Allah.
It is probably due to this reasons that alot of muslims choose Abdullah because it means "slave of Allah".

Lastly, whichever name you choose, you are our brother.
May Allah almighty have HIS mercy on you. Amen

chiara

question

After to read the tread of you Yusef , i see you changing your name , i will ask you ...what you had to do when you change ,did you change under your paper and everythink or just tell to people by yourself ?

Congradulation its very beautiful name brother

Ibn_Syena

Peace...
But if out of humility towards Allah ta'ala, you prefer to change it, then it shows the purity of your heart and how much you want to humble yourself towards Allah.
It is probably due to this reasons that alot of muslims choose Abdullah because it means "slave of Allah".

Lastly, whichever name you choose, you are our brother.
May Allah almighty have HIS mercy on you. Amen

As Salamu Alekum

This one is well said, masha'Allah, jazak Allahu khyran bro.

And brother Yusuf, congs, a great name indeed. :)
I was just wondering, why so many reverts chose this name; Yusuf? We already have sheikh Yusuf Estes, brother Yusuf Islam, and so forth... Just wondering

Wassalmu Alekum

wardah noor

Muslimah 4 life
mashalah yusuf is a good name (one of my favorite) and it represent one of our prophet who had so much patient.

Inchallah i hope that allah increase your iman and make you patient in this world. :tti_sister:

Zaynab123

Subhana Allah!
asalamu alikum

:ma: most muslim converts change their name to yusuf and why because yusuf was a prophet. it is my favorite name too.:ma:

Sister Fatma

Islam my Deen
:salam2: brother Yusuf

i think that u should change ur name coz. even though a muslim name does not have to be arabic, but in our dayz that is how they are seen.

if I just heard ur name patrick i would not think that u r muslim.
My advice do change it.
Yusuf is one of the most beautiful names, with a beautiful story behind it.
everytime i hear that name it reminds me of the prophet AS
so do take it if u like it, don't mind others havin it.
Ur world does not revolve around others, it does not matter if others hav it too.
:hijabi:

also isn't the name patrick from the bible as in Saint patrick?
if it is so then u do have to change it as it represents another religion. Especially that we do not have it in islam.if it was john the baptist u could keep it coz in islam its Yahya the cousin of Issa AS ( Prophet Jesus).

Shahzad

just put ur name "Mohammed yousuf". This name has been owned by some big personalities of the past like Yousuf , the prophet, Salah din (his name was Mohammed yousuf), and Pakistani cricketer Mohammed yousuf , who was formerly called Yousuf Youhanna . After changing his religion ( he was christian) and name, he broke the record of scoring most runs in an year.

See, its really a good name :)

Zainudin Jaffar

Strive to be Mukmin
:salam2:

Choose any names from any of the great prophets and you are good to go.

And Yusuf is one of the great prophets.

wassalam

cmelbouzaidi

Assalamu alaikom,

Congratulations, Brother Yusuf. When you go to the islamic centre/mosque, you can ask for a certificate of shahada and add Yusuf to your name (as patrick is not haram)...... If you think it would hurt your parents to call you by Yusuf, they do not have to.
They can still call you Patrick. We would like your decision to be Muslim to be liked, and not just tolerated, by your family too and maybe one day they too will join Islam, Insha Allah. May Allah bless you, Brother Yusuf. Excellent choice of Islamic name!

um_mustafa

sister in Islam
Salams Br Yusuf , it is a beautiful name and on the day of resurrection it is good to be called by such a name , as for changing your family , surname please read the following :

Taking a family name other than that of one’s father (or attributing oneself to someone other than one’s father)
Question:
A woman before becoming Muslim changed her last name from her family name to her husband's. Now that she is Muslim, she is no longer married to that man. Also, she would like to formally change her name to a Muslim name to affirm her Islamic identity. She would like to also change her last name back to her family name, however, she would like to adopt her mother's maiden name (maternal grand-father's name) instead of her father's name, since there is some conflict between them, and that she said he did not have much to do with her upbringing. Is it permissible for her to take her mother's maiden name?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

This woman’s desire to take an Islamic name and to change her family name from that of her former husband is quite correct, but it is not permissible for her to call herself after anyone except her legitimate father – no matter what the reasons for wishing to do so. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): "Call them (adopted sons) by the names of their fathers…" [al-Ahzaab 33:5].

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Whoever calls himself by other than his father’s name (or attributes himself to someone other than his father), will be cursed by Allaah, the angels and all the people." (Reported by Ibn Maajah, 2599; see also Saheeh al-Jaami’, 6104).

And Allaah is the Source of help.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

Hope this helps, salams

Yusuf1990

al-Inglezi
Asalaamu'alekum to all :)

Thanks for all the replies!
As for my name, Patrick means 'noble/aristocrat', I felt it was slightly arrogant, although not haram, but a little out of place and although I love my name and don't plan on offically changing it I do feel that aking a new Arabic name is good for many reasons. The main reason is that it gives me some Islamic identity, I am also known by the name of a great Prophet, it's nice and on Judgement Day it would be quite fitting to be called by the same name of the Prophet Yusuf. Also the name Yusuf has some sentimental meaning to me as the two main inspirations on this journey to Islam have also been by the name of Yusuf (Yusuf Islam and Yusuf Estes). I have heard many nice things about the Prophet Yusuf and plan on reading the surah about him soon :)
I don't plan on changing my first name let alone my second name! I just like the new identity, it's a nice reminder of how this journey started and also that I have bore witness to One God and His Messengers.

May Allah forgive and bless us all :)
Yusuf

warda A

Sister
:salam2:

:ma:

Brother Yusuf you have explained yourself well.
I hope you shall be called to enter Janna with that name inshalla.
Ameen to your duas & prayers.
:tti_sister: