Christian and Islam beliefs

t68ware

Wow. That is a lot of information to digest. I do have a copy of the Koran which I had when I took philosoply but I do find it quite difficult to understand. Please forgive my ignorance of this subject but was not the Koran written after the Bible? That is one reason we Christians do not accept it as God's Word, for we believe it is and anything else after that (like the Book of Mormon) is not a true book. I do not mean to be disrespectful but that is what we are taught. I would appreciate it anyone could clear up some of my questions. God Bless.

Waseem203

Young Muslim
Wow. That is a lot of information to digest. I do have a copy of the Koran which I had when I took philosoply but I do find it quite difficult to understand. Please forgive my ignorance of this subject but was not the Koran written after the Bible? That is one reason we Christians do not accept it as God's Word, for we believe it is and anything else after that (like the Book of Mormon) is not a true book. I do not mean to be disrespectful but that is what we are taught. I would appreciate it anyone could clear up some of my questions. God Bless.

:salam2:

Do you realize that certain portions of the Bible were written thousands of years after each other. The book never came down in one piece, which is why it is actually incorrect to call the Bible a book itself. It is in essence, a collection of 66 or 73 books written at completely different time periods by mainly Jewish authors. So im afraid that useing the logic of time intervals to justify that the Quran is not a word of God is insufficient simply because many of your Biblical books fall into the same scenario. If this wasent the case though, then remember that Islam always existed prior to 632 A.D, no factor of time exists here, Islam was the deen preached by Adam to Muhammad PBUT.

:wasalam:

AAminAA

Amatullah
Greetings. I am Christian and have been for over 25 years. I have been chatting over the internet with a Muslim about the differences with our two faiths, particulary about the way Islam sees Jesus. I would like to discuss Jesus and the way I see Him and the way Islam sees Him. Please be sincere and not out to bash me because I am Christian and I will show you the same respect.

:salam2: Welcome here and feel free to ask, if you are asking that means you are seeking knowledge. And when someone seeks knowledge and the truth, Allah s.w.t., will insha'Allah guide him to the truth.

Before any debate about differences i suggest you to read and get some informations about similarities between Islam and Christianity.

Here you have a great article whriten by dr. Zakir Naik

SIMILARITIES BETWEEN ISLAM AND CHRISTIANITY
by Dr. Zakir Naik

http://www.irf.net/irf/comparativereligion/index.htm

AAminAA

Amatullah
Please forgive my ignorance of this subject but was not the Koran written after the Bible? That is one reason we Christians do not accept it as God's Word, for we believe it is and anything else after that (like the Book of Mormon) is not a true book. .

Brother, and the Bible ( new testimony ) is whriten after Torah ( old testimony ) and yet it doesn't mean that Moses a.s., and Jesus a.s. lied.... They all came from the same God and Muhammed is His last messenger, may peace and blessing of Allah be upon him.

My question to you:" Do you think that Moses a.s., was sent from God Almighty and that God gave him a book ?"
Please replay ...

Optimist

قل هو الله أحد
Hello, Welcome to TTI.

I second brother Ditta's suggestion that we should not overload people with info. Keep it simple & interactive.

There is already lots of info to read here. I'd suggst that you start a different thread for different questions.

BW

t68ware

Brother, and the Bible ( new testimony ) is whriten after Torah ( old testimony ) and yet it doesn't mean that Moses a.s., and Jesus a.s. lied.... They all came from the same God and Muhammed is His last messenger, may peace and blessing of Allah be upon him.

My question to you:" Do you think that Moses a.s., was sent from God Almighty and that God gave him a book ?"
Please replay ...

The Bible teaches Moses was chosen by God to deliver the people from Egypt and went up to the Mt. Sinai to get the Ten Commandments, which was given to him by God. We also believe he wrote the first five books of the Bible.

Waseem203

Young Muslim
It is to my understanding that the original Torah was God's word just as the Quran was, Moses did not write them as the Christian beleif is. If I am wrong about this someone correct me please.

AAminAA

Amatullah
The Bible teaches Moses was chosen by God to deliver the people from Egypt and went up to the Mt. Sinai to get the Ten Commandments, which was given to him by God. We also believe he wrote the first five books of the Bible.

But still Jews doesn't believe in Jesus a.s., and in the book wich was given to him,right ?

t68ware

But still Jews doesn't believe in Jesus a.s., and in the book wich was given to him,right ?

Jesus is seen as fullfilling the Law which the Jews received. Jesus Himself said He came to fulfill the Law, but because the Jews believed God could not have a Son, and the Messiah would not die, they don't believe in Him. (That is an over-simplication). The Ten Commandments were seen as being fulfilled in Jesus, who took the entire Law down to just two commandments: Love the LORD God with all your heart, soul, mind and strenght and Love your neighbor as yourself. Jesus said "Upon these two hang the entire Law and the Prophets."

The discussion on how the Bible came together is a long one and requires lots of faith. Did the Koran come as one book in its entirety?

Waseem203

Young Muslim
No, the Quran did not come as one book in enterity, but it was revealed over a consistent time period of 23 years. The Bible was never written over any specific phase rather over a 3000 year period of time. I pointed this out because time of revelation was apparently a reason for you to reject Islam whilst in actuality it is a scenario for you aswell. Islam says that submission to the one God was always preached by all the Prophets so this will never be an issue for Muslims. You are correct about "that" Biblical discussion being a long one, but it was widely agreed upon that the current canonical books in the Bible were chosen by the Church out of literally 100s of other possibilities. Islam doesen't require us to have strong faith over wether or not our Book is valid or not. We have solid proof that it is and God has affirmed to us that he will protect it, the perservation of the Quran is actually a fact that even Islam's most hostile enemys will attest to.

May Allah Guide you.
Salam

Jon_Snow

I myself have a Christian background but have come to a conclusion about Jesus that not many in my family agree with. I think that he was the the son of god, but when i mean son, its more in the sense that the he was created by a greater power. Its almost like when an engineer or a inventor creates something, they tend to call it their child....does this make sense to anyone?... Thats how i think that people got the misconception of the word son, becasue god created him, many automatically assume that he is the son. As for the Holy Spirit, am still debating on that one. But again I think that its another misconception. Usually when a Christian prays, some say that they feel the Holy Spirit. What I think that they mean is that they feel closer to god when they are being pious and are truly devoted. Over time, people just began to separate the two for some reason, which really doesn't make sense to me. When many know that the Trinity, came from the beliefs of Celts who were well known and have been documented to have Pagan beliefs. Well that's my two cents on the subject.

muslimah-2k8

JESUS A PROPHET

Jesus (peace be upon him) was a prophet of God like the prophets that came before him...... Adam, Noah, Abraham, Moses, David, Solomon, Joseph etc.(peace be upon them)

Jesus(pbuh) taught the same religion that the previous prophets preached- the Oneness of GOD and Submission to GOD alone...

Mark 12:29 -
‘Hear Oh Israel, the Lord our God, is one lord’

John 17:3 -
“And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.”

Jesus(pbuh) also foretelled the coming of last and final messenger Muhammad(pbuh)...

John 16:12-14 -
“I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now. How be it when he, the Spirit of truth is come, he will guide you unto all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will show you things to come. He shall glorify me."

I hope the above makes sense to you, Jon_Snow

LIVE4TRUTH

Hi, I am new here too and hoping to learn from this forum.

I was raised in a country with a Muslim dominated population as a minority, and I am now a Christian. I just want to bring a couple of points.

If one wants to dispute the authenticity of the bible, someone else can also dispute the authenticity of Quran as well. This authenticity of the bible being corrupted is, to be honest, a very popular belief among Muslim people. In short, discussion around this area can very well be a very long one that can lead to nowhere. Unless someone study both the bible and the quran extensively, the argument is a moot point, at least, in my humble opinion.

To answer hellbraker, yes Christian belief that Jesus is God.

John 1:1-2 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning.
(This passage refers to Jesus equality with God)
John 14:7 If you really knew me, you would know my Father as well. From now on, you do know hime and have seen him.
(In this passage, Jesus refers to His same being with the Father, God)
Rev 1:8 "I am the Alpha and the Omega," says the Lord God, "who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty." (This passage refers to the Lord God)
Rev 22:12-13 "Behold, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to everyone according to what he has done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
(In this passage, Jesus revealed Himself in equality with God).

This is why we, Christian belief that Jesus is God. I know that Trinity is a complex understanding, but in trying to simplify it, consider the nature of a human (who has body, soul, and spirit). This does not explain the complexity of trinity, but help in trying to understand where we come from.

I am hoping that in elaborating this matter, I did not offend anybody, but if in anycase I do, I deeply apologize.

Also, I do have a question to anybody who knows the answer to this.
Abraham (Ibrahim) has 2 wifes (Sarah & Hagar) and sons (Isaac & Ismael) according to the bible. Does the name of Isaac ever be mentioned in Quran? Your input is greatly appreciated.

Thank you much..

Min-Fadhli-Rabii

Hi friend,
I hope you are fine. yes Quran was revealed after Injil(Gospel). Same as Torah was revealed before Injil(Gospel).

Mohsin

abdu'Allah
Abraham (Ibrahim) has 2 wifes (Sarah & Hagar) and sons (Isaac & Ismael) according to the bible. Does the name of Isaac ever be mentioned in Quran? Your input is greatly appreciated.

Thank you much..
YES, the name of Isaac (PBUH) is mentioned in the Quran and not just once but many times. Here are few mentions of him.
136. Say (O Muslims), "We believe in Allâh and that which has been sent down to us and that which has been sent down to Ibrâhim (Abraham), Ismâ'il (Ishmael), Ishâque (Isaac), Ya'qûb (Jacob), and to Al-Asbât [the twelve sons of Ya'qûb (Jacob)], and that which has been given to Mûsa (Moses) and 'Iesa (Jesus), and that which has been given to the Prophets from their Lord. We make no distinction between any of them, and to Him we have submitted (in Islâm)."
al-Baqarah
and
71. And his wife was standing (there), and she laughed . But We gave her glad tidings of Ishâque (Isaac), and after him, of Ya'qûb (Jacob).
Hood
and
112. And We gave him the glad tidings of Ishâque (Isaac) a Prophet from the righteous.
As-Saffaat

justoneofmillion

:salam2:Yes and so was the new testament in respect to the old one ,and that is also the reason Jews do not accept the christian bible as the word of god although Christians sincerely think they are wrong .Muslims feel the same about Christians,the way Christians feel about Jews..as if we were all playing hide and seek somehow,as "Children"of god lol.

That is why Allah swt send down the Quraan to clear the misconceptions about Jesus A.s among other between the Christians and the Jews ,both having completely opposite views about him,the Quraan says the truth lies half way there,and both of you got to make the step to meet up in the middle and reunite the faith of Abraham A.s which was obviously once one,with clear concepts and definitions.The Quraan says he is neither god incarnate as the Christians believe nor a .... well.....i have to much respect for my prophet to utter any Talmudic saying the Jews believe.

Be good
respectfully
jameel

muslimah-2k8

I was raised in a country with a Muslim dominated population as a minority, and I am now a Christian. I just want to bring a couple of points.

If one wants to dispute the authenticity of the bible, someone else can also dispute the authenticity of Quran as well. This authenticity of the bible being corrupted is, to be honest, a very popular belief among Muslim people. In short, discussion around this area can very well be a very long one that can lead to nowhere. Unless someone study both the bible and the quran extensively, the argument is a moot point, at least, in my humble opinion.

To answer hellbraker, yes Christian belief that Jesus is God.

John 1:1-2 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning.
John 14:7 If you really knew me, you would know my Father as well. From now on, you do know hime and have seen him.
(In this passage, Jesus refers to His same being with the Father, God)
Rev 1:8 "I am the Alpha and the Omega," says the Lord God, "who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty." (This passage refers to the Lord God)
Rev 22:12-13 "Behold, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to everyone according to what he has done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
(In this passage, Jesus revealed Himself in equality with God).

This is why we, Christian belief that Jesus is God. I know that Trinity is a complex understanding, but in trying to simplify it, consider the nature of a human (who has body, soul, and spirit). This does not explain the complexity of trinity, but help in trying to understand where we come from.

I am hoping that in elaborating this matter, I did not offend anybody, but if in anycase I do, I deeply apologize.

Thank you much..

:salam2:

@LIVE4TRUTH
All those verses from the Bible have already been refuted by many Islamic Scholars...

If you need any clarification, i can provide it....

As for the Holy Quran, it is the only Scripture considered 100% authentic even by non-muslims.

Watch Top 10 reasons why Jesus (peace be upon him) can't be God, rather he is a prophet of God.....

[yt]YW99U4JWNEc[/yt]

justoneofmillion

If one wants to dispute the authenticity of the bible, someone else can also dispute the authenticity of Quran as well. This authenticity of the bible being corrupted is, to be honest, a very popular belief among Muslim people.
Greetings,
It is among Christians as well!Read Hans kung,john hick ,gerd ludemann or Barth ehrmann..etc all renowned Christian Scholars,without forgetting Jeremiah of course.

[yt]GWjctFNH0Zg[/yt]

Here is a little documentary as to how the belief in Jesus A.s being a teacher a master a prophet according to Jesus s A.S own family and relatives and the first Jewish believers or "followers of the way" as they used to call them then .

Who wrote the bible.

[vg]2061773048178434620[/vg]

Ever heard of the Melchizedek the priest of Salem?

Thank you much.Does the name of Isaac ever be mentioned in Quran? Your input is greatly appreciated.
Yes he is, Prophet Isaac A.S is also a prophet of Islam.And he is mentioned 17 times in the Quraan.

be good
respectfully
jameel

LIVE4TRUTH

Hi all, thank you for your response, especilly Mohsin with his Quran quotes. I really appreciate it.

Thank you also for youtube references by muslimah-2k8 and justoneofmillion, especially regarding scholars refuting the bible. There are some accuracy issues on the video, one of it re. the virgin birth of Jesus by Mary (which actually were acknowledged even in Quran). The reason I believe that it was a moot point in my earlier reply was because, if you truly wish to be fair, there are million of others that refute Islam too, on the same youtube. However, I do not wish to do refer to any of it, not because I cannot, but because it was not my intention, even from the beginning.

The major differences in theology between Islam, Jew, and Christians lay in the way God approaches us, human in order to save us. In Christians belief, God loves us, human, soo much that He decided to come down to earth as human being and technically, became a sacrificial substitute for us, sinners, so that we can be saved.

There is an illustration like this one. Once upon a time there is a wise king who lived and ruled with justice and love. He had a mother who he loved very much and who, for some reason, stole some very valuable things from the palace. Now there was a punishment law at that time that took place: thiefs had to be whipped as punishment.

The king had a dilema. If he punished and whipped his own old mother, she would definitely die, but if he didn't do it according to the law, he would not be a fair king, and he could not set an good example to his people. Finally, the king's decision was: he ordered the whipping punishment to take place, as the punishment law had to be done for justice. However, instead of his mother, he placed himself to be whipped as the substitute. He was willing to come down from his throne, be humbled and replaced his mother's place as criminal to be whipped, because he loved his mother so much.

That is how the love of God to humans are being perceived by Christians. Humans are sinners, and nobody can earn the rights to go to heaven (justice). In order to save humans, God came down in the form of Christ as a substitute, so that humans can be saved (love). This is the only way it can be done to balance justice and love.

Now again, I came to this forum with (God help me) a humble heart, at least I try to be, and I do hope that our Muslim friends can have a better understanding of the Christian way of life, and at the same time, I can learn more about Quran.

Lastly, I want to say again that if I have offended any body, please forgive me. It is truly not my intension to do so.

God bless.