Clapping Hands?

proud2bemuslim

ALLAH HU AKBAR
Assalamu Alaykum Everyone,

Is the clapping of hands forbidden in Islam? For example if you are at an event and people are clapping hands for someone for appreciation or approval. Is that allowed?

boupj

I was at an Islamic event tonight and people clapped, so I know my opinion isn't based on Hadith or Quran, but most of the people there that I knew have a decent-to-thorough understanding of Islam and we all clapped. So... yes I do beleive we are allowed to clap.

Ahmed_2000

Servant of Allah
Salaam Allaikum

No Evidence to Provide from Myself , But personally i know that Clapping makes Angels Run away from the place. It scares them away.Now soory no Hadith to prove this .

Sallam Allaikum

cruisnat25

Hmmm

Assalamualaikum
Did any Sahaba ever clapped when our Prophet Mohammed(p.b.u.h) teached and guided the ummah.??? NEVER. They used to show they appreciated and acceptance by prasing Allah s.t.. Please don't come up with ur answers with your limited knowledge.
Muslims don't clap as it is a mon muslim practice. If u find something that is worth priase then the only one who is praise worthy is ALLAH s.t. Praise him by sayin Allahuakbar or Masha Allah or Subhan Allah.
May allah give us all hidayat.
Jazak Allah Khair.

fatimabilals

Assalamualaikum
Clapping of hands is forbidden for an Islamic Event. And I am 100% sure about this. After someone recites a Surah we are not permitted to clap. But I don't know if we are permitted to cla after an Islamic lecture

umm hussain

Question:
I have come heard many views that clapping is not permissible in Islaam. For example, an applause when children are performing something or any other halaal performance. Could you state whether this is true and which hadith relates to this.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

Clapping during parties is one of the actions of jaahiliyyah. The least that can be said about it is that it is makrooh (disliked), but the evidence suggests rather that it is haraam, because the Muslims are not allowed to resemble the kuffaar. Allah says describing the kuffaar of Makkah (interpretation of the meaning):

“Their Salaah (prayer) at the House (of Allaah, i.e. the Ka‘bah at Makkah) was nothing but whistling and clapping of hands”

[al-Anfaal 8:35]

The Sunnah is, when the believer sees something that he likes or dislikes, to say ‘Subhaan Allaah (Glory be to Allaah)’ or ‘Allaahu akbar (Allaah is Most Great),’ as was narrated from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) in many ahaadeeth.

Clapping is prescribed specifically for women if something alarms them during the prayer, or they are praying with the men and the imaam makes a mistake in the prayer. In that case they should draw his attention to that by clapping, whereas men should do so by saying ‘Subhaan Allaah’, as was narrated in the saheeh Sunnah from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). From this it may be known that clapping on the part of men implies imitation of kaafirs and women, and all of that is forbidden. And Allaah is the source of strength.

Shaykh Ibn Baaz.

The Standing Committee was asked about men clapping when they play with children, or children clapping to encourage their classmates. They replied:

This clapping is not appropriate, and at the very least it is intensely makrooh because this is one of the characteristics of the jaahiliyyah, and because it is something that is done only by women, to draw attention to a mistake in the prayer. And Allaah is the Source of strength.

From Fataawa Islamiyyah, vol. 4, p. 332-333

Children can be encouraged by saying ‘Allaahu akbar’ if they do something that the watcher or listener likes, or one may use other suitable phrases, or raise one’s hands, or raise one’s voice in words of praise such as “Well done!” or “Excellent!” and so on. And Allaah is the Source of strength.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

asabr

Asalam alaikum wr/wb
Baraka allah feekoum..... Furthermore I was advised that when abo bakr R.A wanted to stop the kids from singing and clapping on idd...the prophet p.b.u.h advised that it's ok for them to do so. However I am confused about women clapping on weddings......I have been to an islamic wedding and mashallah I was satisfied with the way it folowed the sunnah....BUT I wasn't sure about the clapping part....I know women were permitted to use the duff on weddings...but i don't remember them being permitted to clap on weddings...jazakoumu llah kheyr
wasalam alaikum wr/wb

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Salaam Allaikum

No Evidence to Provide from Myself , But personally i know that Clapping makes Angels Run away from the place. It scares them away.Now soory no Hadith to prove this .

Sallam Allaikum

:wasalam:

You should never write or speak about anything when you dont have evidence.

wasalam

Globalpeace

Banned
Asslamo Allaikum Brothers,

I don't beleive that clapping is Sunnah because there is NO evidence to suggest so; therefore we should abstain.

virtualeye

Tamed Brother
Asalam alaikum wr/wb
Baraka allah feekoum..... Furthermore I was advised that when abo bakr R.A wanted to stop the kids from singing and clapping on idd...the prophet p.b.u.h advised that it's ok for them to do so. However I am confused about women clapping on weddings......I have been to an islamic wedding and mashallah I was satisfied with the way it folowed the sunnah....BUT I wasn't sure about the clapping part....I know women were permitted to use the duff on weddings...but i don't remember them being permitted to clap on weddings...jazakoumu llah kheyr
wasalam alaikum wr/wb

Clapping for children was allowed same as they are allowed to play with dolls. When you grow up, then neither you jumb nor you play with dolls nor you clap like children. But alas, this clap disease is in the customs now.

If you are in some Muslims' gathering then better say SubhanAllah.
If you are in most of nonMulims then try to avoid clapping. If people note you as Jealous or not appreciating then you might pretend that you are clapping but you can do that very slow without any sound, as if you are too lazy :) . Just my personal opinion. It depends upon the situation. But the principle is NOT to clap.

Wassalaam,
VE

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic
Assalamu alaikum,

Jazakum Allah khayran.

Shaikh Bin Othaimeen`s (may Allah have mercy on him) opinion is that it is better to refrain from clapping, as it wasn`t practiced at the time of the Prophet peace be upon Him or His companions. If they liked something they would say tasbeeh or takbeer. At the same time, he said that it is not haram.
His comment on the ayah:

“Their Salaah (prayer) at the House (of Allaah, i.e. the Ka‘bah at Makkah) was nothing but whistling and clapping of hands”

He said that this clapping at the Ka`bah was a method of worshipping at that time. People today who clap when they see or hear something they like, don`t do it with the intention of worshipping.

His conclusion was that it is better to refrain from clapping, but it is not haram.

السؤال: ما حكم التصفيق في الحفلات أرجو من فضيلة الشيخ إجابة؟
الجواب

الشيخ: التصفيق في الحفلات ليس من عادة السلف الصالح وإنما كانوا إذا أعجبهم شيء سبحوا أحيانا أو كبروا أحيانا لكنهم لا يكبرون تكبيرا جماعيا ولا يسبحون تسبيحا جماعيا بل كل واحد يكبر لنفسه أو يسبح لنفسه بدون أن يكون هناك رفع صوت بحيث يسمعه من بقربه فالأولى الكف عن هذا أي التصفيق ولكننا لا نقول بأنه حرام لأنه قد شاع بين المسلمين اليوم والناس لا يتخذونه عبادة ولهذا لا يصح الاستدلال علي تحريمه بقوله تعالي عن المشركين (وما كانت صلاتهم عند البيت إلا مكاء وتصدية) فإن المشركين يتخذون التصفيق عند البيت عبادة وهؤلاء الذين يصفقون عند سماع ما يعجبهم أو رؤية ما يعجبهم لا يريدون بذلك العبادة وخلاصة القول أن ترك هذا التصفيق أولى وأحسن ولكنه ليس بحرام

Allah knows best.