Confused....

ProudToBeaMuslim

:salam2:
A few days back, in my English class, we somehow came across the topic of women in the Gulf region.
This is an Indian school in Qatar. And the English teacher is also Indian. So keeping in mind that these people have some idea about the life of Muslims, Let me continue.

My teacher started talking about the books written by some Muslim women in the region......."Daughters of Arabia".....some book with the words "soul" and "funeral" in the title.....and some others. In short, all the "biographical" works of these women, their true experiences of "oppression" and restriction.

Like any other Muslim, adrenaline gushes through my blood when I hear the words Muslim, women and oppression together. And there is no doubt that I would have a thing or two to say about the matter.

However, the weird part is, these women's experiences are actually true!
My teacher was merely giving a vague review of the book, so I couldn't say anything in defense, because there was no offence!

And yet I felt highly uncomfortable, because finally, the picture portrayed was that Women in this region has limited freedom, Period.

But it doesn't mean that this group of people (students +teacher) thinks that Islam oppresses women... blah blah. The conclusion that was silently embedded in their minds must've been that women in the region are oppressed. Indian students aren't really concerned about each other's religion, and they see their Indian Muslim friends in the same manner as they see their other friends.

Anyhow, the thing that is bugging me is, Our Islam, being as perfect as it is, gives such clearly defined rights, dignity for women, and yet, Why is it that the region in which Islam is most practiced, such stories of brutal oppresion emerges? {whew, finally got to the point}

I am really looking forward to our brilliant TTI community's take on this =]

I would also like to add that Alhamdulillah, I am blessed with a great and understanding environment to practice Islam. When I compare my situation with those that the Brothers and Sisters living in the West have to face, I truly feel blessed.
A few weeks back, I even got the chance to review the book "Women around the Messenger" for the same English class. It was very enthusiastically recieved by the class.

Anyhow, over to you.=]

arzafar

it's true that women are oppressed everywhere around the world.
Most muslims in muslim countries lack proper knowledge of islam and dont practice it properly. For eg. the forced marriages are common amongst muslims even though a marriage cannot be forced in islaam. forced marriage is no marriage according to shaafai and hanbalis.

The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “A previously-married woman should not be married without being consulted, and a virgin should not be married without asking her permission.” They said, “O Messenger of Allaah, how is her permission given?” He said, “By her silence.” (Reported by al-Bukhaari, 6455).

‘Aa’ishah reported that a girl came to her and said, “My father married me to his brother’s son in order to raise his social standing, and I did not want this marriage [I was forced into it].” ‘Aa’ishah said, “Sit here until the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) comes. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) came and she told him about the girl. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) sent for her father, then he gave the girl the choice of what to do. She said, “O Messenger of Allaah, I have accepted what my father did, but I wanted to prove something to other women.” (Reported by al-Nisaa’i, 3217).

http://islamqa.com/en/ref/47439

Muslim women face a lot of pressure from the society and their relatives and Islam has nothing to do with it. Moreover the scholars usullay tell the women to make the sacrifice which compounds the problem. Muslims women should stand up for their right so that it helps other Muslim women who are suffering from this problem too.

Bawar

Struggling2Surrender
Assalamu alaikum brother!

My simple answer to your confusion:
This is due to the fact that Islam is not accepted (by the people of many Muslim countries) in its entirety when it comes to the righs of women and how they should be treated.

A brother said that it is due to the lack of a proper knowledge about Islam. I disagree.

Most of the people have the basic knowledge, but still not comply with it as their traditions/cultural practices are more influential in their lives than what Islam teaches.

With all due respect, your Indian teacher should be more concered with the rights of Indian women who were burnt alive after the death of their husbands till recently and perhaps it is still ongoing in certain areas.

Living in the west, I know very well that the status of a woman is not much higher than a means of advertising, decoration and satisfying the desires of men. The interesting thing is, all this is happening under the illusion of "freedom to the women".

Back to the main point. Regardless of how non-muslim cultures treat women, Muslims should have been the best example, which unfortunately they aren't.

Therefore, there is alot of work to be done on the part of muslims in regards to the rights of women.

The increasing number of non-muslim women entering Islam is due to the rights Islam has given them, not the muslims.

Zaii

LifeIsAStruggle____
Personally, i think its because these countries always give a higher status to CULTURE rather than Islam. And im saying this because my father is also culture orientated and is always saying 'This is our culture' when in fact what he does is against the teachings of Islam.

I too am so blessed to be a brought up in a place where Islam can be practised properly Alhamdulillah.

ProudToBeaMuslim

I am a Sister. I should've made that clear. And I study in an all girls school. (which is why these topics come up almost every time)

Regardless of how non-muslim cultures treat women, Muslims should have been the best example, which unfortunately they aren't.

Exactly. The point in a nutshell.
I guess it's a part of Allah's amazing plan. Insha Allah, we will have our chance.

With all due respect, your Indian teacher should be more concered with the rights of Indian women who were burnt alive after the death of their husbands till recently and perhaps it is still ongoing in certain areas.

I am sorry, it's my mistake, I shouldn't have brought the whole "Indian" thing into this. I was hoping to make the situation more clear by bringing in their cultural perspective.
Moreover, I was hoping to pick up some arguments for the next time this topic comes up....something that satisfies her view on the topic (Da'wah material =]) , because she is not downright offensive.

Most of the people have the basic knowledge, but still not comply with it as their traditions/cultural practices are more influential in their lives than what Islam teaches.

I completely agree. But its a great paradox that the very epicentre of Islam....The place where it all began......should produce such horrifying stories.
But again, It's over-generalisation I guess. Just because a couple of women experienced that, doesnt mean they all are experiencing it.
And Insha Allah.......We should patiently wait for the day when we will have the glory of pleasing our Lord amongst all other nations.

I guess The confusion is cleared. =]

But I still need a convincing " Da'wah dialogue" that can be used next time this topic comes up.

JazakAllahu Khiaran for your opinions.

saifkhan

abd-Allah
Salam Alaikum

Brother....you dont have to be worried and confused...inshaa'Allah...
Leave those blacksheeps aside....donot mix them with our religion.....
Alhamdulillah you,me and we are blessed...Alhamdulillah...the thing we need to do is to deliver those ppl the true message,the right teachings of Islaam....otherwise we wont gonna be able to enter the Jannah....

May Allah SWT bless us,guide us,protect us and make us daee for the ppl in general...

Barakallahu feekum
wassalam

ProudToBeaMuslim

Salam Alaikum

Brother....you dont have to be worried and confused...inshaa'Allah...
Leave those blacksheeps aside....donot mix them with our religion.....
Alhamdulillah you,me and we are blessed...Alhamdulillah...the thing we need to do is to deliver those ppl the true message,the right teachings of Islaam....otherwise we wont gonna be able to enter the Jannah....

May Allah SWT bless us,guide us,protect us and make us daee for the ppl in general...

Barakallahu feekum
wassalam

I am not worried, Just confused. JazakAllahu Khairan for your concern and advice. And Ameen to your dua.

Ashima33

I also think that when a country is being occupied or the people as a whole are being oppressed, it turns people against themselves because they are struggling to gain the power that was stripped away from them. I think this is true to a lot of Muslim countries. They are being occupied and so they target their own people including the women because naturally they are the more physically weak.

In the United States, we have done this to minorities such as black and hispanics. In some parts there are is a lot of gang violence and so many people wonder why they are shooting each other up. Well, the society has told them repeatedly throughout their lives that they are worthless by giving them such limited opportunities. So they are forced to stay in their dead end environments and create their own ways of gaining self worth, dignity, and power.

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
I also think that when a country is being occupied or the people as a whole are being oppressed, it turns people against themselves because they are struggling to gain the power that was stripped away from them. I think this is true to a lot of Muslim countries. They are being occupied and so they target their own people including the women because naturally they are the more physically weak.

In the United States, we have done this to minorities such as black and hispanics. In some parts there are is a lot of gang violence and so many people wonder why they are shooting each other up. Well, the society has told them repeatedly throughout their lives that they are worthless by giving them such limited opportunities. So they are forced to stay in their dead end environments and create their own ways of gaining self worth, dignity, and power.

sobhnallah sis!!i never thought about this..........it's so true.

Right Side

It is only the media that effects on most people's opinion about Arabian women in all over the world, But Arabian women are NOT oppressed, actually they are the most luxuriant women in the world (not because of financial matters) becuse of Islam "Sharia Law" which is practiced by the most, Also because of Arabic great culture (Good manners, courtesy, honor together with pure morality).

But, sadly media has the loud voice, and they are achieving success, because arabs start to believe them....

I only can say "Oh Allah be with every Muslim woman who are doing her best to follow the rules of Islam, Oh Allah help, protect and guide her, Ya Allah give Muslim women the intellegence and open their eyes to know their real enemy.... Ya Allah give me patience"

May Allah give blessings to all of you!