Curious Question

mehitora

No, Tabassum, as far as I can tell there are no mosque or centers near me. The closest center is almost an hour drive away.

What if the person is very sick, like say my mom, and has to take many medications daily that have to be taken at specific times in order to work properly for illnesses that they will have for the rest of their life? There is a possiblity that my reflux will only worsen over time to the point where I will be taking the medication up to five times a day in order to prevent serious medical conditions like has happened to both my mom and dad. At that point, it would be illogical and unadvisable to not take the medication during fasting due to the harseness of what could happen to my body if I didn't take it. What is the rulings on this?

lerizi

No, Tabassum, as far as I can tell there are no mosque or centers near me. The closest center is almost an hour drive away.

What if the person is very sick, like say my mom, and has to take many medications daily that have to be taken at specific times in order to work properly for illnesses that they will have for the rest of their life? There is a possiblity that my reflux will only worsen over time to the point where I will be taking the medication up to five times a day in order to prevent serious medical conditions like has happened to both my mom and dad. At that point, it would be illogical and unadvisable to not take the medication during fasting due to the harseness of what could happen to my body if I didn't take it. What is the rulings on this?

If a person is sick he or she does not need to fast and if in their heart they really want to fast but they also know that they are truly incapable of fasting then fasting is not obligatory.

You said this person NEEDS to take these meds at certain time periods which coincide with the fasting or else she/ he could face serious health problems. To this the Quran answers:

"And do not kill yourselves”

[al-Nisa’ 4:29]

Some of the scholars view on fasting if a person is really sick:

Ibn Qudaamah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in al-Mughni, 4/404:

If a sick person is able to put up with fasting and does so, then he has done something which is makrooh (Disliked i.e. by Allah), because of the harm that results from that and because he has neglected the CONCESSION granted by Allaah.

– Ahmad (5832) narrated that Ibn ‘Umar said: The Messenger of Allaah SAWS (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Allaah loves His CONCESSIONS to be accepted just as He hates for acts of disobedience to be committed.” Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Irwa’ al-Ghaleel, 564.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in al-Sharh al-Mumti’ (6/352):

From this we realize the mistake made by the mujaahideen and sick people for whom fasting is difficult and may even cause them harm, but they refuse to break the fast. We said that they are making a mistake when they do not accept the kindness of Allaah and the concession He has granted, and they are harming themselves.

Islam is a religion of moderation. If in her/ his heart the person knows that she/ he really is sick and is not making excuses for not fasting then Allah knows what is hidden and likes his concessions to be accepted.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Islam is the faith of ease. So quit your tripping all over the place. Slow down.
It is so early in the morning..you are making me dizzy.

Now...they have videos all over the place that give you the slow-motion version of prayer. Take a couple of minutes and watch them. Write to us and we will answer.

If you can take the time to drive an hour ( and I do not know your financial circumstances i.e full gas tank etc) call the masjid and ask them what time they are going to hold jumma prayer. Tell them you want to meet a sister. You will discover a new side of Muslims. Make sure you have a sisters name. And call her to confirm the meeting time. And call just before you leave to drive to the masjid. Make sure you have a long sleeved garment and take socks. More on that later. Just call and let us know. Try to call just before prayer time. You are more likely to get a response.

Islam makes more sense when you see a Muslim up close and personal. Take time to absorb the faith. Read up on fasting. And most will tell you it ain't a big deal. They love to do it. We get excited about it.

Allah is so full of Mercy. He gives us time to make up fasts. There is always a path available to Believers to serve Him.

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
-*Yeah sis I'm not going to say it but I guess they are right. You are too fast (for us lazies to answer back *smiles*)

Mashaa'Allah! I'll say keep the questions coming. It's better they get answered than confuse you.

About marriage I believe everyone answered you well. Here are my 2 cents:

When a man marries a woman from the people of the book i.e Jews and Christains. She enters a safe place. The man has no problem with her beliefs. One God, he believes in it. Prophet Moses peace be upon him. He believes in Him. Holy Christ Isa ibn Mariam. The muslim man believes in him peace and blessings of Allah be on him. So she has no trouble. Women needing a shelter is given a shelter of a man who doesn't disrespect, belittle OR disbelieve in the facts that she believes in and considers 'HOLy". On the other hand, when a Muslim woman enters a non muslims' house. She's being sheltered by a man who DOESNOT believe in her prophet. Not believeing in his prophethood means he lied about it and the Quraan is not the word of Allah. Astagfirullah! This may create problems for her and her kids. To protect the muslim women Allah has forbidden her to marry non muslim men.

About leaving your husband after reversion to Islam. I suggest your read surah mumtahina :verse10-12. You see when one says " I bear witness that there is NO GOD BUT ALLAH. that means he is a slave who loves what Allah loves, hates what Allah hates, likes, dislikes, acts, talks, thinks Just as his Lord wants him to do. Or atleast he tries. This is what the shahadah or testification is all about. You testify that you are the slave of the most merciful. You leave some things for his sake, out of his love and as a duty to him. He grants you millionfold reward=)

As per fasting. there are different cases. First fasting is Obligatory on all mature Muslims:

O you who believe! Observing As-Saum (the fasting) is prescribed for you as it was prescribed for those before you, that you may become Al-Muttaqûn (the pious). [Surah baqara:183]

Except those who are ill or old and weak:

(Fasting) for a fixed number of days; but if any of you is ill, or on a journey, the prescribed number (Should be made up) from days later. For those who can do it (With hardship), is a ransom, the feeding of one that is indigent. But he that will give more, of his own free will,- it is better for him. And it is better for you that ye fast, if ye only knew. [Surah baqara:184]
Which means those who cannot fast due to illness or due to travel should fast later when in good health and at home OR feed the poor for each day (amount is specified). For example my Grandma (85) feeds the poor for each fast she misses.

And for those who became ill and will recover later

The month of Ramadân in which was revealed the Qur'ân, a guidance for mankind and clear proofs for the guidance and the criterion (between right and wrong). So whoever of you sights (the crescent on the first night of) the month (of Ramadân i.e. is present at his home), he must observe Saum (fasts) that month, and whoever is ill or on a journey, the same number [of days which one did not observe Saum (fasts) must be made up] from other days. Allâh intends for you ease, and He does not want to make things difficult for you. (He wants that you) must complete the same number (of days), and that you must magnify Allâh [i.e. to say Takbîr (Allâhu-Akbar; Allâh is the Most Great) on seeing the crescent of the months of Ramadân and Shawwâl] for having guided you so that you may be grateful to Him. [Surah Baqara-185]

I missed a fast last year because I had mumps. I fasted later. Incase I was to have some permanent problem that kept me from fasting, I was to feed the poor.

Hope this clears things a bit=)

muslima2010

My dear sister.. the recitation of the shahada is obligatory.. Here it is: "I bear witness that there is no god except God and I bear witness that Muhammad is the Messenger of God." (Arabic transliteration: "Ash hadu anlaa ilaaha illallaahu wa ash hadu anna muhammadar-rasulallah"). Try to read the english translation and the arabic transliteration as best you can inshallah (if allah wills) and remember Allah is the most merciful and he knows what is in your heart. That is all you need to do my dear sister. I promise it is truly very simple and it is an enormous blessing to be a muslim and Inshallah (if allah wills) I am honored to be your muslim sister.

IbnAdam77

Travelling towards my grave.
Assalam 'Alaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh

Sister inshaAllah I will keep your beloved mother in my Du'as. Indeed Allah is The Healer.

As for the questions you have asked, I am pretty sure most of them are very well answered by our beloved brothers and sisters. Therefore let me provide you the answer for the one which is not fully answered yet.

It is better if you read directly from Scholars' answers, rather than I trying to give them. :) Therefore just give a click to this to find exact and full answer to your questions with regard to illness and sickness which makes fasting difficult or not possible due to the many pills you might have to take. (I include both of you and your beloved mother).

Hope it helps dear sister.

Wassalam 'Alaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh

mehitora

I had decided I was going to try to do the fast, but here it is day 1 and I already don't think I can do it. It is only 1:30 in the afternoon and I am feeling really sick. Very weak, tired, nauseous, and so very dizzy. I can feel a headache coming on. Suddenly I do not think fasting is for me. Does anyone have any advice on this? I don't like feeling like this, but I want to do this.

Another thing, what is all this business about not havng images and stuff? In fact, scriptures and teachings I would like on this. I want to read it for myself. Everyone has done a good job of answering my questions, but I am starting to want to read more instead of just have an answer. Although, 9 times out of 10, I am given scripture and teachings and stuff with the answer......Ok, I am done rambling now. That was really silly of me.

Wannabemuslim

:salam2:

1.Think about all the people who are expiriencing the same feeling,both those who are fasting and those who cant eat.

2.Pray if you get bored.

3. Think about all the food you arnt consuming that insha allah will go to a family that needs it more,

4.Try reading the quran online. One with an explanation for the verses

Sorry if this isnt okay to respond to a sister,.. think as this message going to every one on the internet (as it is)

First ramadan so forgive me for my errors i make! I dont know any muslims so the internet is my main source of knowledge, therfor im not that well educated on islam.

mehitora

Oh, I just realized something. I have explained this to others but I don't think I have told everyone. Wannabemuslim, actually I have an illness in which it is unadvisable to fast. I am hypoglycemic and my body makes more insulin than it needs to deal with the sugar I intake. By doctor's orders, I am suppose to eat 6 smaller meals spread out over the day as opposed to the three people normally eat. Not eating makes me blood sugar go very low which makes me very sick...*point up to other post* typical symptoms from when I don't eat. Happens every time.

Last November I was so stressed because of school work (I was in nursing school) that I was unable to stomach any food for an entire day. While trying to relax with a nice game of "catch the ball" with my firends (we were just throwing a soccer ball around), I acutally passed out, hit my head on concrete, and was out cold for a complete 10 seconds. Scared everyone real bad. Was rushed to the ER where I was told that under no circumstance was I ever to not eat again. Doctor fears that could happen again.

So yeah, in reality (not the perfect little world I live in inside my mind), me, not eating, and stress....yeah, we aren't good buddies. Should I continue to try to fast or should I give it up for something my body won't hate me over? Such as like feeding the poor? Which by the way is the answer I kept getting in regards to not being to fast. Either make it up when you can or feed one poor person one meal a day for all of Ramadan. Other thing, is working with a food charity the same? Like we have a group called Love's Kitchen and they feed the poor. So would working with them be the same as feeding a poor person myself?

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Didn't I tell you this am you were making me dizzy!!!

Slow down. You have taken a lot on. You are the serious kind. We need to chew 32 times before we swallow.

Take one area of interest. Read, watch videos, and watch a couple of movies. How are Muslims seen by others, how do Muslims see themselves.

Let me tell you what I like about Islam. We have poets, we have philosophers, we have artists, we have musicians, we have actors, we have it all. We have it in every shape, size, and color.
Some argue the Islam they practice is the best. We have the you must do this way to some who are secular. But it is part and parcel of what you see as Islam.

I am seriously thinking of writing the Feng-Shi of Islamic Homes.

So on this hot summer day...find out what is drawing you to this multifarious faith and chill with that.

I am a diabetic with a history of hypoglycemia. On every post I have written I have used the word chill. If you are going to fast please be under the care of a physician. It is very difficult to make others understand when we get to that point..we simply pass out. Islam is a faith of reason. Please do not fast until your doctor gives you the approval. And please make sure you are not alone.

mehitora

So sorry, Aapa. I really don't mean to make you dizzy as well. I am just a very fast paced thinker, I guess. My brain tries to process ten different thoughts at one time and changes thoughts every five seconds.

Ok, Aapa, I will try to calm down. I think I may be a little too excitable. I tend to take ideas and concepts I come across and run with them before I even learn to walk. Not very good, especially if the idea or concept turns out to be a pair of scissors or a knife that is dangerous to me. Yeah, add ADHD and extreme amounts of energy to the low blood sugar and I am an accident waiting to happen.

*breaths deeply* Ok, I am calming down now. One concpet at a time. Don't get carried away. I got this. Thank you, Aapa, for bringing me back to my senses. I needed that.

~Hehe, I said your name three times in that, lol!!!~

Ok, so fasting for me not good idea. *looks around* Yup, completely alone except for irritating kitten. *looks at schedule* Nope, not seeing my doctor for another two months. Ok, so this wasn't the brightest idea. That is typical of me.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Child, I can see that I have round up my older sis in WV and we will have drive down the road and sit you down for a minute.
Go to the health clinic tomorrow.

Get a glass of juice watch something for a few minutes. Get off the computer. Slow it down..its hot outside.

mehitora

Ok, ok, I get it. I'm getting off for a bit. I will go clean something or something for a while. I think the kitchen could use a good scrubbing.

brmm

Hello. A question has come to my mind and I hope that it can be answered.

Is it acceptablefor someone who is not yet Muslim to follow the practices of Islam if the person has serious convictions towards Islam and Allah? In other words, if a person has begun to believe that the Qur'an is the word of Allah, Muhammad is his last prophet, Allah is the only God with no partners, and Islam is his prefect religion, but has not become a Muslim (not sure how to say what I mwan here), is it acceptable for them to adhere to the rules, laws, and practices of Islam, such as not partaking in anything considered haraam, preforming the five obligatory prayers daily, or fasting for Ramadan?

I believe I have used the correct words. If I have not, please gently correct me. And please forgive me if my question offends anyone. I am just a very curious person trying to find the truth and believes I have finally found the right path to that truth. Thank you.

So.... you believe in all this and you wish to practice Islam also but without calling yourself a Muslim ?! OK, do it and don't wait.

BRMM

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
Mehi: Aapa's right. You need to study each topic in detail, understand it completely, and then move on to the next. Islam cannot be learned as a crash course.

You have a question on images: Starting a new thread on that would be a helpful way to go.

About the fasting, your case comes under the special categories of people who can not fast, so you need a doctor's opinion on that first. About the compensation, you don't have to worry about that this instant. Since you have not taken a formal shahada yet, I wonder if all this would apply to you, and anyway, learning how to pray is and should be of the utmost importance for you first before you move on to the other stuff.

Please read the Quran translation. Let it all sink in. Make the decision whether you will embrace Islam. Meet up with a few muslim sisters. Learn, learn and learn. Go ahead and make your declaration... This would be the logical way to go.

Again, Islam cannot be learnt by just a few random questions here and there. It's a comprehensive body of information which you need to ponder over :) Sorry, I'm not reprimanding you or anything, just some friendly advice - I hope you won't mind!

And someone please correct me if I've said anything wrong. Allahu Alim.

Isra

aka Tree2008
Have you taken your shahada yet? If not you are not even a Muslim so technically you dont need to concern yourself with all of these things at this time!

You are trying to run before you can walk sweetie! As Aapa said....calm down a bit! STUDY Islam and be sure in your heart it is the lifestyle you wish to live before getting into all of this! In other words...learn to swim before diving into the deep end of the pool! :lol:

I suggest you stick to this website as there are alot of really informative videos on the front page that you can sift through. Also take the suggestion the brothers and sisters are giving you to contact your local mosque. You might get a recording as there is not always someone available to answer the phones but if you do get a recording leave a message because they usually will return your call. Thats what I did when I was interested in Islam.

There is alot to take in for a new revert because Islam is not just a religion. Islam is an entire way of life! You will find yourself changing everything that is the "norm" for you as you become more and more dedicated to Islam and your faith grows. Relax......................Allah will guide you! He got you this far didnt he? Your interest is amazing and you should keep it up but just slow down and smell the flowers along the way! There is no compulsion in Islam so no need to rush! Take your time and find out all the beautiful and amazing sides to our beautiful deen (religion).

First step...........taking your shahada! Second step.........learning how to pray! That will very much keep you busy for awhile. If you have taken your shahada and miss this Ramadan fasting either for medical reasons or that you dont understand how to do it our Rabb (lord) is the most merciful and forgiving. Much of Islam is intention. Allah knows what is in your heart and if you have the intention he will make things easy for you inshallah.

You are going to be fine just take it a step at a time and walk before you run please so that way you wont trip and fall ok?! :lol:

wa salam