Dear Members...

nazir

Asalaamu Alaykum dear peter,
Just for clarification, yes there are only 5 obligatory prayers in Islam; the comprise of Fajr, Zuhr, Asr, Maghrib and Esha. The Column in the table (with the link that you provided) is sunrise, which is basically there for your information that you have between the stated time for fajr and sunrise to offer the prayers, and after sunrise, the time to offer your fajr has expired. I hope you understand my often difficult to understand explanation ;)

Regarding the demons on your backs, rest assured we all have them, life is but a constant struggle of purifying ourselves and keeping these demons at bay; they hound a person until their death, but what counts is our resistance to our vices, and if we falter, Allah is the Oft-Forgiving and loves that His slaves, after transgressing against themselves turn to Him in Humility and repentance. May Allah enable us to fight our Nafs (base self) and strive to become better Muslims.
Wassalaam

Bluegazer

Hello Peter!

I'm glad to see your progress in learning about Islam.

Before you decide to take the Shahada [Testimony that there's no one worthy of worship except Allah and Muhammad was His slave and Messenger], you need to at least know the Five Pillars of Islam and the Six Pillars of Faith.

To read about the Five Pillars of Islam, please click on the following link:

http://www.islam-guide.com/frm-ch3-16.htm

To read about the Six Pillars of Faith, please click on the following link:

http://www.islam-guide.com/frm-ch3-2.htm

You wrote the following in post #41:

I am wondering, I thought that prayer was to be enacted five times? Here however, are the prayer times for my locality, and there are six times for prayer depicted:

http://www.islamicfinder.org/prayer...&email=&home=2008-3-31&lang=&aversion=&athan=

I have prayed five times today, and will do so again at 9.46, but this will be a sixth time, and I thought that there were five prayers - or, am I getting confused with the five pillars?

As brother Nazir explained, the second column shows the time of sunrise. You should have finished the Fajr [Dawn] prayer by that time. It does not mean that there's a sixth obligatory prayer.

Best regards and wishes,

Bluegazer

msaeed

SalaamualikumwerahmetAllahebarkatuh.

I pray you and your family are in the best state of health.

Alhamdulilah (Thank God) that Allaah Subhana Wa Ta'ala (Allaah, the Glorified and Exalted) has been guiding you to the Straight Path.

Verse 6:125 of the Quran says:"Those whom Allah wants to guide, He opens their chests to Islam; And those whom He wants to leave astray, He makes their chests tight and constricted, as if they are ascending to the sky: Such is the penalty of Allah on those who refuse to believe."

First thing I'd like to say about the above, is that Allaah guides whom He wants. Those who do not want to be guided, Allaah leaves them to stray (though He has the "ability" to guide them if He wants to) as opposed to those who are sincerely looking for the truth with an open heart that Allaah guides to the straight path, InshAllaah.

Second thing is I wanted to point out what I underlined in that verse of the Qur'an about constriction: Modern-enough science tells us today that atmospheric pressure decreases with altitude, which constricts our chest and makes breathing difficult for us the higher we ascend, however, Allaah Subhana wa Ta'ala already revealed that to us in that verse, about 1400 years ago. This is one of the many scientific "proofs" that we take for granted in the Qur'an.

Also, this is one of my favourite hadiths: It was narrated that the Prophet peace be upon him said that Allaah says: "...and if he draws near to Me the span of an arm, I draw near to him the span of two outstretched arms and if he takes a step towards Me, I come to him at speed." -Bukhari 5/175 and Muslim 4/2061

And this is one of my favourite verses from the Quran: "WHEN MY SERVANTS ASK THEE, (O Muhammed), CONCERNING ME, TELL THEM I AM NEAR" -Quran, 2:186

Regarding taking the Shahada, all one must do is say this "testimony of faith" with full conviction in their heart, which is: "I bear witness that there is no God except Allaah and I bear witness that Muhammed (Peace be upon him), is the messenger of God"

It looks like you've already said it :D However, Allaah Subhana wa Taala judges us on our intentions so while you do believe it InshAllaah in your heart, perhaps you should say it again with the intention of saying your shahada?

I understand that you want to feel like you deserve it more before so, however, you mustn't underestimate your time in this life. What would become of you if God forbid you died suddenly as a non Muslim? I have been searching for a particular hadith, but I cannot find it-perhaps another member InshAllaah can provide it if they know it InshAllaah-about a certain individual during a battle against the Prophet peace be upon him, who accepted Islam on the battlefield and died that day as a Muslim,and I believe was granted Paradise, without ever even praying, fasting, etc.

This may encourage you as well: http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=K9HIEZN7XHk&feature=related

InshAllaah I wish you the best in this journey of yours. The more we learn, the more we realize that we really are ignorant of so much..I encourage you to learn as much as you can InshAllaah, but nevertheless take things step by step so you dont exhaust yourself God forbid or feel overwhelmed.

Take care InshAllaah,

SalaamualikumweRahmetAllaahebarkatuh.

louly_sweet

Sub Han Allah
May peace be upon you dear brother Peter/
Asalamo Alikom dear brother Peter,

Your beautiful words have brought happy tears into my eyes.
I am speechless because of the light in your heart that is guiding you & the love I read in all our brothers & sisters respones to you, here.
The greatness of Islam is that it is the ultimate TRUTH.
The greatness of Islam is that we get to know ALLAH.
And that's what our life & afterlife are all about.

Welcome to TTI.
I am truely speechless but I'll have you in my prayers a lot.
May Allah guide you & protect you, dear brother.

Salamo Alikom/ peace be upon you

Inquirer

Asalaamu Alaykum Nazir,

Just for clarification, yes there are only 5 obligatory prayers in Islam; the comprise of Fajr, Zuhr, Asr, Maghrib and Esha. The Column in the table (with the link that you provided) is sunrise, which is basically there for your information that you have between the stated time for fajr and sunrise to offer the prayers, and after sunrise, the time to offer your fajr has expired. I hope you understand my often difficult to understand explanation

No, I understood your explanation Nazir.

Silly me. I was confused and was thinking that rather than sunrise being a cut off point for prayers to finish, I was thinking that this was a prayer time in itself. As such, early this morning I prayed at Fajr and again at sunrise, which actually felt good because I felt that I was honouring the new day, and this made this a special day for me. :)

Given my misunderstanding, I have prayed six times today, albeit imperfectly no doubt, but I will learn.

Tomorrow I will know better, so you see, with your help good people, I am learning every day. :)

Now, if Fajr indicates the start of the prayer period, and sunrise marks it's end, then is it advisable to spend the entire period in prayer? You see, the prayer itself that I am doing doesn't take very long so I wouldn't be sure how to stretcth this out, unless after prayer I just spend the time reading Quran out loud, and so making it like a kind of prayer to Allah rather than just consuming it for myself.

Regarding the demons on your backs, rest assured we all have them, life is but a constant struggle of purifying ourselves and keeping these demons at bay; they hound a person until their death, but what counts is our resistance to our vices, and if we falter, Allah is the Oft-Forgiving and loves that His slaves, after transgressing against themselves turn to Him in Humility and repentance. May Allah enable us to fight our Nafs (base self) and strive to become better Muslims.

Thanks Nazir.

When you say, 'resistance to our vices', is that part of what jihad is? You see, most people in my country (and indeed all over Europe and America), think that Jihad is about the slaying of infidels, indeed, I used to think this myself. On 9/11, they claimed that this was jihad. So, I need to know what jihad is because I am going to need to correct people's misunderstandings about this matter when it comes that they ask such things. I could look this up on the internet but I prefer communicating with real people than just reading.

You see, if the 'holy war' is about resistance to that which drags us away from our path, then I think that I have done this already. You see, on the day that I bought the Quran and as I was reading 'The Cow/Heifer', someone came and offered me a bagful of cannabis, which I confess, I would normally, I will be honest, very much enjoy to smoke. So I was confronted with a dilemma: upon this day that I had obtained the Holy Book, and was absorbing it's message, I was met with my greatest temptation - and I knew that if I succumbed to it, my mind would be clouded and dazed, and I would not be able to properly comprehend what I was reading, and I felt that it would be a great dishonour to Allah whom was so beautifully opening His arms to me on this day at long last, and so I resisted, and the person who was offering was really puzzled and I just said, 'No thanks, I'm busy reading, I'm getting really into this book (they didn't know it was the Quran), so I'm not bothered about it now.'. I would have had the opportunity to change my mind but I didn't allow that thought to take over, and so I began reading aloud, and the thought became stronger, and so I read faster, until I wasn't really properly comprehending was I was reading, but the important thing, is that it worked! I felt like I had extinguished a demon, and I have never resisted this particular temptation for anything before, and so already, on my very first acquaintanceship with the Quran, it changed the course of my day.

So I ask you, was this my first practice of jihad?

I think I already mentioned how amazed I was to find the answer to an important question I had on the very first page of the Quran. It has shown me so much already and I have only read a little.

Hi Bluegazer.

Before you decide to take the Shahada [Testimony that there's no one worthy of worship except Allah and Muhammad was His slave and Messenger], you need to at least know the Five Pillars of Islam and the Six Pillars of Faith.

I am aware of what the five pillars are, I just thought that I was getting five prayers mixed up with the five pillars, because in misunderstanding the significance of sunrise, I thought it was a prayer time, rather than a cut off point for prayer.

Thanks though for the link to the site because there are interesting things that I want to read about there.

Bless you Bluegazer.

Hello there Msaeed.

I am unsure what the first line of your post means, could you tell me? I know that the first part is 'peace be upon you' (and much peace be upon you too kind sir), but what does the latter part mean?

I pray you and your family are in the best state of health.

Many thanks for your kind wishes and I pray the same for you and yours.

Alhamdulilah (Thank God) that Allaah Subhana Wa Ta'ala (Allaah, the Glorified and Exalted) has been guiding you to the Straight Path.

Yes, I'm very happy about it. :)

Verse 6:125 of the Quran says:"Those whom Allah wants to guide, He opens their chests to Islam; And those whom He wants to leave astray, He makes their chests tight and constricted, as if they are ascending to the sky: Such is the penalty of Allah on those who refuse to believe."

This is very interesting Msaeed, and it is revelatory how we do in fact know certainly that our breathing becomes harder at high altitudes.

Now, I have read some things about how it is revealed in the Quran, certain things as to how the foetus develops in the womb of woman, and how this parallels with scientific fact, so much so, that there are even doctors of embryology that have converted to Islam, so amazed were they by this.

Now, considering what is said in that line which you quote - do you think that perhaps it is not in accordance with the will of Allah that we humans create contraptions by which we are to fly into the sky? It isn't natural for us to transport ourselves in such a way is it? Our habits of flying around in machines also causes a lot of damage to the world we inhabit with all the chemicals that are belched out of aeroplanes and such, damage to the ozone layer etc., and so your quote here, has had me thinking upon this.

I also observe that it is strange that you bring my attention to this part of the Quran, as just today, I had been thinking upon man's flight to the moon and the ways in which we are interfering with the space that surrounds our world and the things in it, because personally, I have always been very wary of man going to the moon and other bodies, and stealing things away to bring them here, out of nothing more than curiosity, because somehow this seems wrong to me. The moon seems to me to be a very sacred facet of nature, and even before I had any interest in Islam, I always did think that there was something wrong in flying there and walking all over it, and certainly to be looting it and taking things from it that do not belong here.

I wondered what you might think about this?

I was thinking, when it comes to taking things from the moon, then where do we draw the line? When we come to alter the moon's weight and throw the perfect balance of the spheres out of kilter?

These things have worried me a lot, even before my interest in Islam, because I think that to infere with nature to such a fabulous extent is wrong.

This has given me cause to reflect upon the quote you have shown me, and what may be implied therein.

Also, this is one of my favourite hadiths: It was narrated that the Prophet peace be upon him said that Allaah says: "...and if he draws near to Me the span of an arm, I draw near to him the span of two outstretched arms and if he takes a step towards Me, I come to him at speed." -Bukhari 5/175 and Muslim 4/2061

Thank you again, because this is of comfort to me.

Regarding taking the Shahada, all one must do is say this "testimony of faith" with full conviction in their heart, which is: "I bear witness that there is no God except Allaah and I bear witness that Muhammed (Peace be upon him), is the messenger of God"

Okay, I understand, so I know that when I come to declare this, I will declare it in no ordinary manner, it must be a most special event.

I understand that you want to feel like you deserve it more before so, however, you mustn't underestimate your time in this life. What would become of you if God forbid you died suddenly as a non Muslim?

Well yes, several people have said words to this effect on this thread, and I must think upon this. Tomorrow day I am to go to approach the mosque for the first time, and this is a matter that I wish to discuss with the people there, or the imaam. I do hope that I find the people of the mosque to be as kind as the people here have been to me.

I have been searching for a particular hadith, but I cannot find it-perhaps another member InshAllaah can provide it if they know it InshAllaah-about a certain individual during a battle against the Prophet peace be upon him, who accepted Islam on the battlefield and died that day as a Muslim,and I believe was granted Paradise, without ever even praying, fasting, etc.

This would be interesting to read.

InshAllaah I wish you the best in this journey of yours. The more we learn, the more we realize that we really are ignorant of so much..I encourage you to learn as much as you can InshAllaah, but nevertheless take things step by step so you dont exhaust yourself God forbid or feel overwhelmed.

I am very grateful for your wishes and encouragement.

Louly-sweet,

Peace be upon you too, blessings to you.

Your beautiful words have brought happy tears into my eyes.

It is touching to hear that my words have made you happy. :)

I will admit, that I have had happy tears myself when I have read my responses here, and with the knowledge of what is happening to me at this time, which might sound really soft, but that's the truth.

I am speechless because of the light in your heart that is guiding you & the love I read in all our brothers & sisters respones to you, here.

I have found that many here are indeed loving and so kind, and I wish that I had come here sooner and begun to learn about what Islam really is sooner, but alas, for whatever reason that only He knows, this was to be the time.

The greatness of Islam is that it is the ultimate TRUTH.
The greatness of Islam is that we get to know ALLAH.

I do believe it. Better than belief, however, is understanding, and I do seek to find that understanding.

I am truely speechless but I'll have you in my prayers a lot.

I really appreciate this. Next time I pray, I will have the names of each of you that have offered your kindnesses toward me here, and ask for each of you in turn that Allah, if He wills it, to bestow a blessing upon you, as I owe each of you a prayer at least.

Thank you all again.

:)

faithzilla

Had Left TTI
I've met a revert brother yesterday at the mosque. I was embarrassed at my self why. because he such a better muslim than me a born muslim.

when i was waiting for ashr prayer time. most of the brother and me just chatting around but he offering sunnah prayer first and then after that read the quran.

Did you know that almost all Rasulullah(PBUH) close companion is a convert/revert!!.

Inquirer

Hi Min-Fadhli-Rabii,

You said you watch that drama ''White Girl''.

Ahh yes, that's what it was called. I couldn't remember the title but it really interested me.

I haven't yet seen 'Make me a Muslim' no, so I will be really interested to watch this, so thanks for that link. I'm really into the videos about converts.

Hi there iislam4ever,

I'm glad I've joined TTI too.

Thanks for your greeting. :SMILY139:

Thanks for your message Faithzilla. :)

SabirIslamdost

Salam Peter,

It was very nice receiving this beautiful message from you. You are very welcome to the website, or rather the community.

I am sure all the members on TTI are keen on helping each opther including you. But, I personally even can be ready to see you in person, since I live in Liverpool. So you are very welcome at anytime to explain whatever issue about which you need explanation. I do not mean I am a very knowledged person, but as long as I know, I would be happy to teach us.

Kind regards
SabirIslamdost

Dear TTI members,

My name is Peter, I am a 25 year old white man, living on the North West coast of England, I am single and without children, and I am at the very, very beginning of my intrigue to learn about Islam, and maybe this will set me upon a path that will result in me one day becoming a Muslim.

I have absolutely everything to learn! I do hope you can be patient with me, as no doubt I will have many questions to ask, particularly about some of the terminology that is used, as I confess that I do not understand what some of the words mean (but I really want to learn).

I was very happy to find this community. I saw some videos here about English coverts to Islam, and these were very inspiring to me. It makes a very refreshing change to see Islam being depicted in such a positive manner.

I have a confession to make. I used to be incredibly prejudiced regarding Islam, and I have had some terrible ideas about Islam in the past, but I think that this is largely due to the way I have been conditioned by the world around me, such as in the sensationalist media, who only ever present a frightening and blood-thirsty Islam. The things that I have read and seen here, totally counteract the image presented to me of Islam by the world around me. In my heart, it says, 'Here. This is what you have always been looking for!'. I do hope that what my heart tells me will be proved correct as I embark upon a voyage of discovery.

As to my background, I am a person that was born into a non-religious family, and yet, all of my life my mind has been turned towards the concept of the divine and how I might allow that essence to flow into my life. I have always been consumed by the questions of where I came from, why I am here, and where I am meant to be going. As such, it has often been terribly frustrating for me to not have a design for my life, such as religion offers, for I am a person to whom it is very important to have a devotional framework around which to weave the tapestry of my spiritual life, but as yet, and despite having searched, I have had no success in finding this. This is terribly frustrating to me, I have always been so lost, and I truly wish to find my way. I do hope that you can help me. This will be the first time that I have directly addressed Muslims with my intention to learn about this path. This in itself, is the taking of a first step.

Of all religious paths, Islam is the only one that, until now, I have completely overlooked, as Islam has been so demonised that my impression of it was very phobic. I hope that you can forgive me for the things that I have misunderstood, as from what I have seen, you appear to be good, sincere people.

I am ready to revolutionise my life, I think I am ready to open my heart to the teachings of Islam.

Joining this forum, and making myself known to you, is the first step that I have taken.

I do hope that I don't make a nuisance of myself with all the questions that I will have to ask.

Peace be upon you all. :)

Nazihah

Be A Stranger
I am unsure what the first line of your post means, could you tell me? I know that the first part is 'peace be upon you' (and much peace be upon you too kind sir), but what does the latter part mean?

Assalamualaikum/ :salam2:= Peace be upon you
Waalaikumsalam/:wasalam:= And Peace be upon you

nazir

Asalaamu Alaykum,

When you say, 'resistance to our vices', is that part of what jihad is?

There are two types of Jihads, one that is carried out on the physical battlefield for the sake of Justice (with strict rulings that apply), and the other which takes place on the life long battlefield that is the heart. One's heart is like a stronghold, that if properly guarded and fortified, it prevents the thief from smuggling out the treasures (the treaure of our heart is truly our faith in Allah and obedience to Him). The thief (shaytaan and his accomplices) are ever ready to look for our first sign of weakness/cpmplacensy to that they may stealthily defile our innocence. Slowly over time, as the heart is continually ravaged by succumbing to our desires, shaytaan has no need to enter, rather he has conquered your castle, and you yourself have become his 'lieutenant' in discharging the evils which have been slowly injected into your lifes pattern (i hope this metaphor is not too far fetched).

Jihad al Nafs (the struggle against the self) is of utmost importance as it leads to the purification of the self from things which stain the heart, and make it dark and hard, absent from the remembrance of Allah. By engaging in this Jihad, through remembering Allah and following the Commands of Allah without hesitation, the heart becomes a lamp which not only keeps yourself illuminated, but the illumination shines unto other people, who through your pious company, turn to Allah in piety.

Please refer to the following link : http://www.islaam.com/Article.aspx?id=437
Also feel free to browse that website which has a vast host of different articles.

Wassalaam

fma6

Thirsty4Knowledge
Asalamo Alaykom Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh Brother Peter!

My heart leaps with joy with this great news
*Silent Tears*

You are already an inspiration to the Ummah (this word was previously translated as the "Muslim Nation"...however, Ummah is just "Nation"..specifically the Ummah of Prophet Muhammed(SAW)...and this applies to all human who are alive today, we are all the Prophet's Ummah)

Anyway....Myself being born as a Muslim, have taken it for granted, and when I see you and many other reverts around me, it just strengthens my faith and causes me to be greatful to be born a Muslim.

However, the biggest benefit you have is that your "record book" will be a s good as new and you get to start a brand new page...as if your past has never happened...MashAllah you are lucky and I hope Allah guides you. Amen.

Another thing I have noticed in your posts is how you say I have read the "Heifer". What do you mean "Heifer"? I just looked it up and This is the first time I've seen the translation of "The Cow" as such. Heifer is generally employed by the Judaistic books, if I'm not mistaken.

Nevertheless, if you have the correct copy of the Quran then I guess it is alright.

*Saniyah*

ukhtikum fillaah
Peace be upon you, Peter!

I will point out that the second and third video would not open, saying ‘not available at this time’, so I took this as a sign that for now, I ought to concentrate on what I had been shown in the first video.
Did you try again to watch the other two videos about the salah? To me they work, but try maybe with these direct links insha'Allaah

How to Do Salah(Prayer)(Nimaz)-1 by Sheikh Adly
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vG6lh4zJqAc

How to Do Salah(Prayer)(Nimaz)-2 by Sheikh Adly
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJ4NUYCDJCI

Now, I will have to find myself a special jug and bowl to dedicate to this purpose. I had to use a beaker of water, and find a large bowl in the kitchen to perform my first prayer, as these are what I had to hand for the time being.
Masha'Allaah, according to the Sunnah. But you know, you can make wudhu also in a bathroom/toilet from the tab. Just when you make niyyah(intention), do it inside your heart and say Bismillah(In the name of God) inside yourself, because we don't mention Allaah's name in an unclean place such as toilet, out of respect. We also shouldn't talk in a toilet.

I realise that when I go to town tomorrow, I should find myself a special book and pen to dedicate to the purpose of writing down what I am learning about Islam,
This is very good masha'Allaah! I think every muslim should have a notebook to write down all the new things he/she is learning about Islaam. We should never stop learning.

When I was ready to try and do the du’a, I tried my best to say this as shown, but no doubt my pronunciation was imperfect, but I am trying.
The Last Prophet (May peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Verily the one who recites the Qur'an beautifully, smoothly, and precisely, he will be in the company of the noble and obedient angels. And as for the one who recites with difficulty, stammering or stumbling through its verses (because he doesn't know how to read it but is trying to), then he will have TWICE that reward."

Then, I stood, cleared my mind, and knelt to the floor, bowed down, and recited the ‘The Opening’.
Sura Al-Fatiha(the Opening) and other parts from the Qur'an should be recited while standing. In bowing, straightening and prostrating we should say specific duas, as Prophet (May peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) taught us. I hope the videos can help you little bit, but later insha'Allaah in mosque you will find maybe a brother who can show you in person.

This site will benefit you insha'Allaah
http://transliteration.org/quran/home.htm

http://transliteration.org/quran/WhatToSayInPrayer.htm
(you should here pay attention to Farđ (obligatory) column only, without optional duas, as they are long and might confuse you; also always press these buttons
to hear the sound, and read same time, sometimes only transliteration doesn't help)

Alhamdulillaah(Praise be to Allaah), you are doing great! Just have patience and you will learn very fast insha'Allaah.

May Allaah guide you and make you one of the succesful. Ameen.

Peace!

Inquirer

Hi Sabir,

Thanks for your message.

I am sure all the members on TTI are keen on helping each opther including you. But, I personally even can be ready to see you in person, since I live in Liverpool. So you are very welcome at anytime to explain whatever issue about which you need explanation. I do not mean I am a very knowledged person, but as long as I know, I would be happy to teach us.

Thankyou Sabir, I appreciate that. I'll message you.

Hi Naziha

Assalamualaikum/ = Peace be upon you
Waalaikumsalam/= And Peace be upon you

Ah, that's it. Thanks. :)

Hi there Nazir,

There are two types of Jihads, one that is carried out on the physical battlefield for the sake of Justice (with strict rulings that apply), and the other which takes place on the life long battlefield that is the heart. One's heart is like a stronghold, that if properly guarded and fortified, it prevents the thief from smuggling out the treasures (the treaure of our heart is truly our faith in Allah and obedience to Him). The thief (shaytaan and his accomplices) are ever ready to look for our first sign of weakness/cpmplacensy to that they may stealthily defile our innocence. Slowly over time, as the heart is continually ravaged by succumbing to our desires, shaytaan has no need to enter, rather he has conquered your castle, and you yourself have become his 'lieutenant' in discharging the evils which have been slowly injected into your lifes pattern (i hope this metaphor is not too far fetched

Thanks for explaining. I was a bit unsure as to what exactly Jihad comprised, but I've been reading up and I understand it better now. I understood the metaphor, which was a good one.

Jihad al Nafs (the struggle against the self) is of utmost importance as it leads to the purification of the self from things which stain the heart, and make it dark and hard, absent from the remembrance of Allah. By engaging in this Jihad, through remembering Allah and following the Commands of Allah without hesitation, the heart becomes a lamp which not only keeps yourself illuminated, but the illumination shines unto other people, who through your pious company, turn to Allah in piety.

When you say 'struggle against the self', do you mean one's desires and temptations, or that it's a struggle against our own mundane nature in order to seek unity with Allah?

Waalaikumsalam Fma6

My heart leaps with joy with this great news
*Silent Tears*

Anyway....Myself being born as a Muslim, have taken it for granted, and when I see you and many other reverts around me, it just strengthens my faith and causes me to be greatful to be born a Muslim.

I have been wondering upon the term, 'revert' which seems to be more commonly used than, 'convert'. To revert, or reverse, is to go back, and I had thought then that a 'revert' was somebody who had been born to Islam, but had not explored it, or had slipped away from it and so sets out to bring it back into their life. Would I however, be right in thinking that we are all 'reverts' because Islam is the original religion? I was just wondering about this.

Another thing I have noticed in your posts is how you say I have read the "Heifer". What do you mean "Heifer"? I just looked it up and This is the first time I've seen the translation of "The Cow" as such. Heifer is generally employed by the Judaistic books, if I'm not mistaken.

Yes, someone mentioned this, and I have seen the second surah translated as 'The Cow', when I have looked at library books, but in this particular translation it is called, 'The Heifer'. I can only presume that the words, 'cow' and, 'heifer' are interchangeable in Arabic. I actually prefer, 'The Cow', it's simpler.

Nevertheless, if you have the correct copy of the Quran then I guess it is alright.

Well, until I have a special copy in Quranic Arabic I won't have a truly 'correct' Quran until then, but for now, the English translation has startled, amazed, fascinated and rattled me on numerous occasions. It has really made me contemplative. I would love to be able to come to understand the Arabic and read it as poetry though.

Hi again, Saniyah.

Did you try again to watch the other two videos about the salah? To me they work, but try maybe with these direct links insha'Allaah

Thank you for the links. I'll have a look when I've posted this. I have looked on various sites, but became a bit confused. I did find a good site which takes you through it step by step, and it'll probably be good to use in conjunction with the links.

Masha'Allaah, according to the Sunnah. But you know, you can make wudhu also in a bathroom/toilet from the tab. Just when you make niyyah(intention), do it inside your heart and say Bismillah(In the name of God) inside yourself

Yes, someone said to me that you can take a full shower or bath as ablution, and this is 'ghusl' isn't it?

because we don't mention Allaah's name in an unclean place such as toilet, out of respect. We also shouldn't talk in a toilet.

I can see the sense in this, and I'll remember it, also around bins and drains.

"Verily the one who recites the Qur'an beautifully, smoothly, and precisely, he will be in the company of the noble and obedient angels. And as for the one who recites with difficulty, stammering or stumbling through its verses (because he doesn't know how to read it but is trying to), then he will have TWICE that reward."

Well, that's encouraging. You know, when it comes to those who do not understand Arabic, and yet try, it reminds me of when the prophet, peace upon him, was seized by Jibril and ordered to, 'Recite!', and he felt that he couldn't because he could not understand the significance of the letters and words as they came - and so the lesson I think in this is, in one sense, is that for those to whom Arabic is completely unintelligable at first, are called to be reminded as to how an illiterate man, having no understanding of written text, through faithfulness and trust in the higher power that guided him, transliterated the most sacred book in the possession of mankind - so we're told that there's nothing to fear in being perplexed at first, as long as we carry out the command to 'Recite!', an order echoing across time from Jibril, in that quite simply, practice makes perfect, and so to keep reciting - the result can only be something sacred.

Sura Al-Fatiha(the Opening) and other parts from the Qur'an should be recited while standing. In bowing, straightening and prostrating we should say specific duas, as Prophet (May peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) taught us. I hope the videos can help you little bit, but later insha'Allaah in mosque you will find maybe a brother who can show you in person.

I did go to the mosque, and found it to be welcoming, although I was a bit awkward in prayer, because I couldn't concentrate as I was too busy making sure that I was keeping up with everyone else. Then I found something in the Quran, which I will have to look up again, where it says that a person should not attend prayer with a foggy mind, and not unless they know exactly what they are saying - and so I felt that this meant that I need to get to know precisely what I am doing with each kind of prayer and what the proper routine is before I begin to attend, rather than practice while there. I'll get the hang of it pretty quickly I think, as I understand more than I did, and so I can practice with it at home until I can do it without any instructions, and then see how I go on.

Thanks again Saniyah. You've been really helpful. :SMILY126:

samiha

---------
Staff member
I have been wondering upon the term, 'revert' which seems to be more commonly used than, 'convert'. To revert, or reverse, is to go back, and I had thought then that a 'revert' was somebody who had been born to Islam, but had not explored it, or had slipped away from it and so sets out to bring it back into their life. Would I however, be right in thinking that we are all 'reverts' because Islam is the original religion? I was just wondering about this
Hello.

I havent been able to properly welcome you to the website due to lack of time, but none-the less I hope that you are insha'Allah being able to benefit from here. :)

Here's a link for the understanding of this: The Definition of Fitrah

It might be a bit indepth, so to just explain in summary there is a hadith:

‘Every new-born child is born in a state of fitrah. Then his parents make him a Jew, a Christian or a Magian, just as an animal is born intact. Do you observe any among them that are maimed (at birth)?’
I. M. Hanîf, Sahîh Muslim bisharh al-Nawawî, Book of Qadr, Vol. 16 (al-Matba‘at al-Misriyyah bi al-Azhari, 1930) p. 207.

The state of fitrah is like an inborn feeling or understanding of certain aspects. Such as the monotheism of Allah, being in submission to him etc. We believe that each child is born upon this fitrah and thus they are born "Muslim". Later on their parents raise them up as different religions, but they were not originally as such. Due to this, it is said that if a child dies before the age of discretion, he is granted paradise. As per the following narration:

‘It is related that the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said that he saw in a vision an old man at the front of a large tree and around him were children and in the vision he was told that the old man was Ibrihim and that the children who were around him were the children who, before attaining the age of discretion, had died. At this, some Muslims had asked hum: "And the children of the polytheists too, Messenger of Allah?" The Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, replied: "The children of the polytheists as well."Ibid, p. 30; cf. Ibn Manzûr, Ibid.

Thus in essence, some people say that a person "reverts" to Islaam, because they were born Muslim in that sense, and return back to that state when they accept Islaam again. :) Both times a person is sinless however.

Thank you for the links. I'll have a look when I've posted this. I have looked on various sites, but became a bit confused. I did find a good site which takes you through it step by step, and it'll probably be good to use in conjunction with the links.

I hope they are of good use to you, however if you could make sure of one thing, is that they use proper sources for what they tell you to do. This goes for all Muslims. Because many things come from cultural rather than Islaamic sources, and this is incorrect, as in the only way we can learn the salaah, and the only person who taught it, was the Prophet sallahu alayhi wa sallam. So that's our only outlet for knowing how to pray correctly, therefore necessitating that we always make sure what is being told of us to do is in accordance to what he did. As the Prophet sallahu alayhi wa sallam himself said, "Pray as you have seen me Pray" ... it would be better to learn it right the first time yeh?

But no worries insha'Allah, just precautionary... but take things step by step as you said, and i hope things are made easy for you.

I can see the sense in this, and I'll remember it, also around bins and drains.
No, it's ok to mention Allaah's name around bins and drains. Trash does not make a person impure or "najis"... we should not mention Him in the bathroom because it is a place of impurity, but regular trash and what not is not of that level or degree at all. Besides, we're not supposed to talk at all really in the bathroom. :)

All your best in seeking knowledge! May Allah guide you and facilitate you to the path which is best and most correct.

wantobeMumin

When you say 'struggle against the self', do you mean one's desires and temptations, or that it's a struggle against our own mundane nature in order to seek unity with Allah?

:salam2: The answer to this is both; desires and our nature. if u let temptations rule u for a while with out any check on them then they will become part of ur nature.
Humans in general are good natured because Allah has created every human innocent from birth. It is us, our environment which conditioned it to be what ever we are.

I dont remember who exactly said that " keep a check on two things one that is between ur teeth and the second that is between ur legs."
when ever u have an urge to say something dont say it because most likely its ill response while we having a fit or something. now this is a struggle against the temptation to say ill words while its ur strugle to be good natured.
Our ultimate purpose of this life should be to seek "Taqwa" and jihad is one step close to it.
:wasalam:

Inquirer

Assalamu alaikum Samina,

I havent been able to properly welcome you to the website due to lack of time, but none-the less I hope that you are insha'Allah being able to benefit from here.

Thank you for your welcome.

Yes, there's such a lot to explore on here, and it is benefitting me a lot. :)

Thanks for the information about fitrah. I understand about this now. I see now then that to be become a Muslim, is seeking to return to innocence.

Perhaps then we can all learn a lot from babies. I was looking at my baby niece earlier, and thinking how she, in her three month old state, is purely islamic, and it saddens me to think that babies become corrupted by the world around them - but she is fortunate, for she now has a Muslim uncle to inspire and intrigue her as she grows up - so she won't get the opportunity to learn all the evil propoganda about Islam. I still haven't 'come out' to my relatives yet, but it will come.

I hope they are of good use to you, however if you could make sure of one thing, is that they use proper sources for what they tell you to do. This goes for all Muslims. Because many things come from cultural rather than Islaamic sources, and this is incorrect, as in the only way we can learn the salaah, and the only person who taught it, was the Prophet sallahu alayhi wa sallam.

Well, it can get confusing, because when I think I know where I'm at with salaat, I come across new information which contradicts what I thought I knew, and then it happens again, and then you get baffled.

I'm getting there though.

No, it's ok to mention Allaah's name around bins and drains. Trash does not make a person impure or "najis"... we should not mention Him in the bathroom because it is a place of impurity, but regular trash and what not is not of that level or degree at all.

Okay, I see. Haha. That'll be me taking it too far. :SMILY126:

Assalamu alaikum Mumin.

It is us, our environment which conditioned it to be what ever we are.

Very true.

" keep a check on two things one that is between ur teeth and the second that is between ur legs."

Hahaa. Indeed! I'll remember that one, as I need to start keeping check on both now, something of a challenge given the lifestyle that I'm coming from. :eek:

I wanted to clarify, this: '' :saw: '', means 'peace be upon him', yes?

While I'm at it, could I ask you what these phrases mean?

:astag:

:laila:

:jazaak:

:saw2:

:hawla:

:subhanallah:

I'll be able to know when and where to use these then, as well as learning some more about islamic phrases.

palestine

Servant of Allah
Assalamu alaikum Samina,

Thank you for your welcome.

Yes, there's such a lot to explore on here, and it is benefitting me a lot. :)

Thanks for the information about fitrah. I understand about this now. I see now then that to be become a Muslim, is seeking to return to innocence.

Perhaps then we can all learn a lot from babies. I was looking at my baby niece earlier, and thinking how she, in her three month old state, is purely islamic, and it saddens me to think that babies become corrupted by the world around them - but she is fortunate, for she now has a Muslim uncle to inspire and intrigue her as she grows up - so she won't get the opportunity to learn all the evil propoganda about Islam. I still haven't 'come out' to my relatives yet, but it will come.

Well, it can get confusing, because when I think I know where I'm at with salaat, I come across new information which contradicts what I thought I knew, and then it happens again, and then you get baffled.

I'm getting there though.

Okay, I see. Haha. That'll be me taking it too far. :SMILY126:

Assalamu alaikum Mumin.

Very true.

Hahaa. Indeed! I'll remember that one, as I need to start keeping check on both now, something of a challenge given the lifestyle that I'm coming from. :eek:

I wanted to clarify, this: '' :saw: '', means 'peace be upon him', yes?

While I'm at it, could I ask you what these phrases mean?

:astag:= means " forgive me oh allah"

:laila: = There is no God worthy of worship except Allah

:jazaak:= May Allah reward you

:saw2: =peace be upon him(prophet)

:hawla: = there is no might nor power except with Allah

:subhanallah: = Exalted be He(Allah)

I'll be able to know when and where to use these then, as well as learning some more about islamic phrases.

i wrote behind the phrases. i hope i'm right in their translation. salam.

Nazihah

Be A Stranger
Assalamualaikum Brother Peter,

Welcome to the Family!!!
MashaAllah, I see that you are a Muslim now.
SubhanAllah.
Allahu Akbar, Allahu Akbar, Allahu Akbar.

May Allah s.w.t make you among the righteous. Ameen

:hijabi: