Do Names change you?

OmarFarooq

:salam2: dear brother and sisters,

i wanted to ask you is it true that, the kind of name u have, is the kind of person u become. my name is Omar Farooq, and i see that all Omars have problem with their anger. they get angry really fast, i seen many Omars but i have never seen one Omar that didn't get angry. i am nice person, but i do have my temper. :)

Please help and reply

:wasalam:

Libinette

Umm Zubayr
I know a Omar, he's really quiet and shy, am serious :)

I don't think names have to do anything with people's personalities...

SalmanFarsi

This is something I recently thought about after observing the personalitities of my two children.

Abdurahman is very much compassionate. He really cares about anything and everything. Always helpful and emotionally understanding eventhough he is only 3! He listens and obeys the rules.

And Abdullah. lets say he has his own world. Tough, strict, and decisive. he's only two years old, but dictates what color of socks he does NOT like [yellow], which shirt is not his sytle and that he will only sit in a specific seat in the car and nowhere else. He does not care what you think and as far as timeouts, well, he kinda gives mommy and daddy timeouts..so its the other way around.

I'm talking about 2 and 3 year old kids who can barely speak!
yet their personalities are opposite of each other.

So yes, as naive as it may sound, I totally believe names shape your personality.
Can't explaine why...its theory by observation.

walhamdulilahi rabbil alameen

-Salman

palestine

Servant of Allah

i wanted to ask you is it true that, the kind of name u have, is the kind of person u become. my name is Omar Farooq, and i see that all Omars have problem with their anger. they get angry really fast, i seen many Omars but i have never seen one Omar that didn't get angry. i am nice person, but i do have my temper. :)

Please help and reply

Brother don't worry, you just have to have self control. i have a temper too. not everyone is perfect just pray salatul layl and whenever you sujood ask Allah to make u one of those who is calm. Umar bin al-khattab had temper yet he was a muimin. you see what i mean? don't be afraid everyone has something they've got to work on. don't worry brother inshaAllah Allah will help you, don't ask others for help, ask Allah. It is shaytan that makes people angry so seek refuge and be patient InshaAllah you will change if Allah wills.:salam2: sincerely your sister.

Steve940

:salam2:

Brother I know exactly what you are talking about!

In fact, I used to have this same thought in my head too!

It's funny, I thought I was the only one who noticed things like this lol. Well I'm in america and names are generally mark, chris, mike, you know, american names. But I have to agree that sometimes it DOES seem like the people with similar names act in a similar way.

I'm sure this probably doesn't have any basis in Islam and what is in our heart is most important. This is probably just coincidence and should be shrugged off. But I can relate to what you are saying.

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member

Well now that you mentioned it i kind of agree with you. I have a brother named Omar and he is extremely strict (anal in a way)..he is *very* honest...*very* respectful...and *very* intelligent (he is in the honor-roll and in the top 3% of his freshmen class in high school)...but......he has an issue with temper
he gets angry very really easily and does not like being argued with..and at making the simplest commands...he seems to carry lots and lots of temper in carrying them out..but yet he is the best out of all of us (his siblings) at keeping up with prayer :mashallah:

on the other hand...i have a brother named ahmad (he's the oldest of the my bros)...who is VERY shy...very sensitive...and very quiet...and does not get angry unless you have taken extreme measures to get him angry.
subhanallah

that was interesting to bring up brother Omar.

jabba

Salafi Dawah is the best

Note to self: do not name any future kids Omar.
LOL just kidding :wasalam:

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member

Note to self: do not name any future kids Omar.
LOL just kidding :wasalam:

LOL...look what you (Brother Omar..and several others..including me) did to sister jabba...we freaked her out!!!

beside my absolute admiration of the name Mohammad (not cuz it's the Prophet's (pbuh) but also because it's beautiful as is..pronunciation..meaning..and all)...i admire the names omar and ali (also a name of my third bro) very very very much...

inshallah if i were destined to marry and have kids i plan on naming my kids with these names (i.e. mohammad..omar..ali)

only thing is...i want to name a kid with a name such as abdallah or abdalrahman (because the prophet (pbuh) have said that the best of names are those with *abd* or names such as ahmad..mahmood..hameed..etc.)..and for girls aisha...fatima..and zainab

uuuummmmmmmm...so it only makes me think.......that....uuuummmm i'm in for big big trouble if i want to base the number of kids i have on the names i admire

i'm starting to freak myself out now :S
hehe

Love my islam

LOL...look what you (Brother Omar..and several others..including me) did to sister jabba...we freaked her out!!!

beside my absolute admiration of the name Mohammad (not cuz it's the Prophet's (pbuh) but also because it's beautiful as is..pronunciation..meaning..and all)...i admire the names omar and ali (also a name of my third bro) very very very much...

inshallah if i were destined to marry and have kids i plan on naming my kids with these names (i.e. mohammad..omar..ali)

only thing is...i want to name a kid with a name such as abdallah or abdalrahman (because the prophet (pbuh) have said that the best of names are those with *abd* or names such as ahmad..mahmood..hameed..etc.)..and for girls aisha...fatima..and zainab

uuuummmmmmmm...so it only makes me think.......that....uuuummmm i'm in for big big trouble if i want to base the number of kids i have on the names i admire

i'm starting to freak myself out now :S
I wish you all the best sister:biggrin:

Aliyah206

SALLAM TO ALL.
I'VE HEARD FROM SIRAJ WAHAJ MENTION A HADITH THAT OUR PHROPHET (saw)
ENCOURAGING US TO NAME OUR CHILDRENT GOOD NAMES BECUASE THEY THATS THE KIND OF PERSON THEY'LL BECOME

najbc

assalamu alaykum

My dad's name is Omar and he is the calmest and sweat person. So, name say nothing about you or decide who are you or will become.

hqudrat

just believe in urself and try to work over ur temper.it will soon be thing of the past.i don't think name has anything to do with ur passionality.

:tti_sister:

najbc

Assalamu alaykum,

bro, i advise you to see help, and playing valley ball helps. it help me once, i remember i would take my angry on the ball.

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member

Please help and reply

:) salam
thats a really good question
because I know somebody with the same name and his personality looks like exactly what i was reading about the Khalifa ....little dufficult to deal with ...:)
wasalam

Mrmuslim

Smile you are @ TTI
Staff member
salaam alikom broter Omar,

If you were refereing to
Omars have problem with their anger
the Khalifah Omar Radi Allah Anahu, then you might be wrong Omar may Allah reward him, never get angry except for Sake of Allah and his prophet. People use to fear him because they know about his Iman

I wish we have some one like him in our days...

Allah's Apostle said, "O Ibn Al-Khattab! By Him in Whose Hands my life is! Never does Satan find you going on a way, but he takes another way other than yours

I dont think name has anything to do who you will become, but its good to have good names, the prophet peace be up on him changed names of some companion becuase their meaning of the name was not good.

Wa Allah A3lem

pakman

my uncle used sime type of numerology and said that my name "Ali" is causing me stress and worries
but my real name isnt Ali it is Shehroz but everyone just calls me Ali but i dont thin it is causing me stress or anything so i guess ur name doesnt change ur personality

um muhammad al-mahdi

لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله
Staff member
As salamu alaykum

"He(saws) loved good names and he ordered that if a messenger was sent to him, that he should have a good name and a pleasant face....."

Narrated by Muslim, Abu Dawud and Ahmad

"And it has been confirmed from him (saws) that he changed the name of Asiyah, saying: "You are Jameelah""

Narrated by Muslim and Abu Dawud, on the authority of Ibn 'Umar(r)

From the Book: "Provisions for the Hereafter"