do you trust *wikipedia* for Islamic knowledge?

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
:salam2:,

can i trust wikipedia for Islamic information? i use it sometime to know about misguided groups like ahmaddiya, druze, goharshahi, etc.

have any of you seen some wrong information (related to Islam) on that site?

4mMadara2Amina

:))

Actually I like most trust Islamic sites as this one. And even you might not find soemthing there, than always can make a tread and ask. In time you will get a answer and can be sure it is correct. But to be honest I have seen even about my country wrong facts in the wikipedia... So not sure about what else there might be incorrect. Be carefull :)
May Allah Ta'ala bless you :hijabi:

:tti_sister:

Aisya al-Humaira

الحمدلله على كل حال
Assalamualaykum wa rahamtullahi wa barakatuh,

Honestly, no, I dont trust wikipedia especially if one is intending to learn matters regarding the deen. Well we dont know who is in control of the wikipedia site and they might change the contents that may suits their 'desire' and goal. They wont care to convey the truth and correct the falsehood.

Yes, today, almost everything can be search through the web. But I'd say, its best to stick to authentic sources to learn the deen; even in the smallest matters.

Allaah knows best.

Waalaykummusalam wa rahamtullah.

thebestummah

wikipedia - is it safe for deen matters ?

:salam2:
as we r not aware of its source and the persons controlling the site; its better we resort to the so many authentic islamic sites in the net. allah will surely guide us all to the correct information we need.

I just heard a sheik mention:

when you read bad information is misinformation when reading about Islam, there is a high chance that it will cause corruption to your thinking process. He also went on to say that some cases it comes out of that person, without him realizing that it is not from credible source.

so he said try to stick to reliable sources of information.

wa Allah ya3lam

:wasalam:

Mahzala

فَتَبَارَكَ اللَّهُ أَحْسَنُ الْخَالِقِينَ
I can count on my fingers how many times I would have entered this site into the address bar. For me, its a no for basic definitions, so for Islamic content - big no.

Wikipedia itself acknowledges the lack of authority in the website, due to its open principle of editing by anyone and everyone. There are many inaccurate uploads on that websites, many debates from every field - such as finance, politics, history etc. On a more personal level, I would say, it is quite biased - the creators writing style usually leaves no room for (blind) readers to draw their own conclusions - and are fed opinions and biases from people passionate about certain topics et cetraaaa.

Der Fragende

ahlu-sunnah.com

For a first overview it's Ok, but regarding controversial and important issues, there can be much better sources to make use of.

Almaas

I only trust it when I've left unimportant homework to the last minute..

Also for when I've wanted to research the odd fact, but like it's already been said, anyone can edit it thus you can't say for sure how reliable it is. The info of the highschool I attended was edited to say it was a school of witchcraft and wizadry. LOL.

saifkhan

abd-Allah
Salam

I totally support brother Abu Talib.
and certainly it contains mis-info.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammad_ibn_Abd-al-Wahhab
like an example, as far i know he was born in Unainah.
even if its right...but i found many things with wrong explanations....certainly in Islamic topics.Many of them were prepared by not-yet-muslims....even the Jews!
simple ques:how can a not-yet-muslim explain islamic things?

Jazakallah