Drawing a Hand?

Al Qassimi

:salam2:

Would it be okay to draw a hand? or legs? Since I am not drawing the whole thing... If you do not understand my question let me know

Muslim-life

Always Alhamdulilah
I draw everything, but i dont make full human maybe just to the stom!

But now i am tooo interested to know!
?????

massi

Ruling on drawing animate beings

Question:
What is the ruling on drawing in Islam?.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

Drawing is of two types:

One is drawing pictures of animate beings. It says in the Sunnah that this is forbidden. It is not permitted to draw anything that depicts animate beings, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, according to the saheeh hadeeth: “Every image maker will be in the Fire.” And he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The most severely punished of people on the Day of Resurrection will be the image-makers, those who tried to imitate the creation of Allaah.” And he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The makers of these images will be punished on the Day of Resurrection, and they will be told, ‘Give life to that which you have created.’”

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed those who consume riba (interest, usury) and those who pay it, and he cursed the image-makers. This indicates that making images is forbidden. The scholars interpreted that as referring to images of animate beings such as animals, people and birds.

With regard to drawing inanimate objects – which is the second type of drawing – there is no sin in that, such as drawing mountains, trees, planes, cars and the like. There is nothing wrong with that, according to the scholars.

With regard to forbidden kinds of pictures, an exception is made in cases of necessity, such as drawing pictures of criminals so that they will be known and caught, or pictures for identity cards which are essential and which cannot be obtained otherwise, and other cases of necessity. If the ruler decides that producing images of criminals is necessary, because of the seriousness of their crimes and to protect the Muslims from their evil when they are known, or for other reasons, there is nothing wrong with that. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“…He has explained to you in detail what is forbidden to you, except under compulsion of necessity …”

[al-An’aam 6:119]

Fataawa Noor ‘ala al-Darb by Shaykh Ibn Baaz, p. 302.
http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=39806&ln=eng&txt=رسم

OsMaN_93

Here to help
from what i know;

you can draw the whole body with no head.
because a human can't live with a head.
so you are not attempting to show that you create anything.
especially when its not alive :)
if you don't get what i mean let me know :D

if i'm wrong plz correct me!;)

OsMaN_93

Here to help
well :D
u caught me on this ok
i better change it ..
damn....i never noticed.. seriously, no joke ... i just noticed jazak Allah..:)
after all i didn't draw it :)

BintMuhammad

Staff member
Assalaamu alaikum warahmatullaah,

Inshaa'Allaah this helps. hey are you the same Al-Qassimi on aussiemuslims?

Ruling on making partial image in cases of necessity

Question:
What is the ruling on making images, and is there is difference between a three dimensional image and other kinds of images such as photographs, or between pictures showing a complete image of a person and pictures which show only the face and chest and what is around them?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

It is clear that image-making is one of the blameworthy actions of the jaahiliyyah which Islam came to oppose. It is well established from clear, saheeh mutawaatir ahaadeeth that it is not allowed, and that the one who does this is cursed and is warned of torment in Hell, as in the hadeeth of Ibn ‘Abbaas which is attributed to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him): “Every image maker will be in Hell, and a soul will be given to every image which he made so that it might torment him in Hell.” (Narrated by Muslim).

This applies to all images of animate created beings, humans and others. There is no difference between three-dimensional and other images, whether they were taken with cameras or produced by painting, engraving or other methods, because of the general meaning of the ahaadeeth.

Whoever claims that photographs are not included in the general prohibition or that the prohibition applies only to three-dimensional images and those that cast a shadow is making a false claim, because the ahaadeeth concerning that are general in meaning. There is no differentiation between one kind of image and another. The scholars have clearly stated that the prohibition applies to photographs and other kinds of pictures, such as Imaam al-Nawawi, al-Haafiz ibn Hajar and others. The hadeeth of ‘Aa’ishah concerning the story of the curtain is clear, and what it indicates is that an image which is on a curtain is not three dimensional, rather it is a kind of drawing on cloth, but despite that the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) counted it as trying to match the creation of Allaah.

But if the image is originally incomplete, such as a head-and-shoulders picture, etc., and there is removed from the picture that without which is could not live, then it may be understood from the comments of many of the fuqahaa’ that this is permissible, especially if there is a need for such partial pictures. Whatever the case, one has to fear Allaah as much as one can, and avoid that which Allaah and His Messenger have forbidden.

“And whosoever fears Allaah and keeps his duty to Him, He will make a way for him to get out (from every difficulty).

And He will provide him from (sources) he never could imagine”

[al-Talaaq 65:2-3 – interpretation of the meaning]

Min Fataawa Samaahat al-Shaykh Muhammad ibn Ibraaheem (may Allaah have mercy on him)

Inquirer

Well, I wanted to comment on the photography thread from yesterday, but it's been closed.

About photographs: I can think of many reasons as to why encapsulating the human form is a bad idea. For example, when a person looks at a photograph of themselves, they either feel good about it, because they like what they see, which instills pride and vanity, or they feel bad about it, because they don't like what they see, which instills low self-esteem - so it's a bad idea either way.

Another good reason I can think of against photography, is that when we have albums of photographs, if they should ever come to be lost or destroyed - then it is absolutely heartbreaking, the more so the older those photographs are. I also think it's a bad idea, because as we grow old, it only makes it harder to accept that this is happening if we have pictures of our youth to help us hanker after that lost youth all the harder.

Why has nobody mentioned television? Perhaps because we all have one? I'm seriously considering banning televisual images from my life. It happens to be the television and media imagery by the way, that has given Islam such a bad name. Not to mention all the other rubbish that's blasted into our conciousness through the television screen.

We all know that we shouldn't use the internet. Surely, the most haraam thing in all existence!

Anything that is man made and is not absolutely fundamental for survival, is surely haraam. I can't help but see it elsewise.

I'm actually starting to think that to be a perfect Muslim, one ought to live the life of an ascetic, and absolutely renounce the modern world all together, and I'm considering it. I'm worried. I keep having visions of going to find a cave or a woodland to live in somewhere, because I know that I have to completely renounce the modern world, and I'm failing this already by sitting here and typing this. I'm panicking, because Allah is calling upon me to do something huge. However, I need to learn everything I can about how to practice my religion first from others, as when this time comes, I will have cut myself off completely from other people and the modern world, myself and the rest of the world will not be aware of each others existence. I do not think that it would be possible to achieve the goal that Allah has set for me in any other way.

We know that the modern world itself is haraam. Shouldn't we be doing something about it?

Musa abu A'isha

Aussie Muslim
The `Ulamaa' differ greatly on photography.
Recently I asked Sh. Yasir Qadhi if I could get a picture with him, he said 'These days its impossible to hold the view that your photo cannot be taken.'
He said this with reason.
I myself used to avoid photography for ages to be safe, however I have changed my view on this. Shayk ibn `Uthaymeen may Allaah have Mercy on him also changed his opinion before he died, as did most of the scholars on this issue of recent times.

Some still hold as do I that analogue photography is to be avoided, as the image is not made until you process it, and in doing so you must alter the image in the chemicals to get it to how you like so you are taking part in making an image.
Digital photography however captures what is there, it does not create anything other than what it sees, just like a mirror or a reflection in water.

You will find that very few will still insist on photos not being taken, and almost none who say that television is Haraam (as it also displays digital reproductions of images). All the scholars I met at a recent conference allowed their photos and confirmed that they believed it was permissible.

fma6

Thirsty4Knowledge
My 1 Cent:D

Well, I wanted to comment on the photography thread from yesterday, but it's been closed.

About photographs: I can think of many reasons as to why encapsulating the human form is a bad idea. For example, when a person looks at a photograph of themselves, they either feel good about it, because they like what they see, which instills pride and vanity, or they feel bad about it, because they don't like what they see, which instills low self-esteem - so it's a bad idea either way.

Another good reason I can think of against photography, is that when we have albums of photographs, if they should ever come to be lost or destroyed - then it is absolutely heartbreaking, the more so the older those photographs are. I also think it's a bad idea, because as we grow old, it only makes it harder to accept that this is happening if we have pictures of our youth to help us hanker after that lost youth all the harder.

Why has nobody mentioned television? Perhaps because we all have one? I'm seriously considering banning televisual images from my life. It happens to be the television and media imagery by the way, that has given Islam such a bad name. Not to mention all the other rubbish that's blasted into our conciousness through the television screen.

We all know that we shouldn't use the internet. Surely, the most haraam thing in all existence!

Anything that is man made and is not absolutely fundamental for survival, is surely haraam. I can't help but see it elsewise.

I'm actually starting to think that to be a perfect Muslim, one ought to live the life of an ascetic, and absolutely renounce the modern world all together, and I'm considering it. I'm worried. I keep having visions of going to find a cave or a woodland to live in somewhere, because I know that I have to completely renounce the modern world, and I'm failing this already by sitting here and typing this. I'm panicking, because Allah is calling upon me to do something huge. However, I need to learn everything I can about how to practice my religion first from others, as when this time comes, I will have cut myself off completely from other people and the modern world, myself and the rest of the world will not be aware of each others existence. I do not think that it would be possible to achieve the goal that Allah has set for me in any other way.

We know that the modern world itself is haraam. Shouldn't we be doing something about it?

Asalamo Alaykom

I totally agree
I think this modern world is just making the haraam easier n easier.
However it is a test as is all else in our world today.
We have to be strong, to fight off our temptations
I don't think we should seclude ourselves completely(although i have dreams of living in a dessert with a simple life) because we have a duty here amongst the people. We can help and teach people and make a difference.

The internet being haraam? Although the negative and bad stuff is more abundant, it can be a powerful tool in terms of seeking and spreading knowledge.

The TV?
I personally quit tv ages ago, it is so useless, even the news is garbage.
I think we can live without TV now. It is a banned instrument in my house. It is collecting dust in some closet.:)

Regarding your quote "Anything that is man made and is not absolutely fundamental for survival, is surely haraam."

I would have to disagree with you on that...Haraam might not be the right word. for example...spoons r man made...they r not fundamental for survival..therefore haraam??:L:D......But i see what you're getting at.