Driving while Muslim

dianek

I hate Northern VA...it's a MAD HOUSE!!!!! NO THANK YOU!!! I like my Rural Richmond, some claim it is small town......though locals know that Richmond is not just the city but Hanover, Henrico and Chesterfield which makes it HUGE.....but it is that small town feel....I always see someone somewhere in passing that I have known......that makes me love it! And that I am 2 hours from VA Beach and 1 hour from the mountains is nice too!

Don't listen to stats that Richmond is a murder capital....whatever, it's bad ones killing bad ones....... :)

Mirajmom, I had no idea you were pakistani???????????????????? I thought you were a revert.......

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

I attended VCU a million years ago and had a little apartment there.

No, I was born into a Muslim family. I was a child of the sixties and got my schooling in the seventies. I was very rebellious. I did not practice for many years. My heart was always aching. It was a family joke that I changed my faith with each season. I could not find how to quench the fire in my soul. I searched high and I searched low. I read everything I could. I practiced everything I could. I could not find peace. I volunteered for everything. I always had energy. I could not get rid of that energy. But, my soul was sad. I would take time away from the world and meditate. I was always drawn to the spritual side of life. In a sense, I loved Neil Young's song Searching for a Heart of Gold.
I always kept a copy of the Quran. One night as I was in the depths of looking for the Truth I opened the Quran...I had read it several times before..but this time..the opening Sura changed my life. In those meliforous words the medicine that I had been seeking cured me. Life made sense. It was as if I opened my eyes for the first time. I recall tears streaming down my face.
It took a very long time before I was able to ingest the magnitude of how my life changed. I was headed for Havard to earn a PH.D. I had everything ready and my life took a Right turn. I ended up being arrested for stopping a bus outside the White House. It was in the midst of Desert Storm. I was very politcally alive. Well you can't do stuff like that and keep a good job...so you make a choice..
So here I am in wild and wonderful West Virginia..and the rest is history.
Do I regret anything..no..because the sum total of my expereinces have led to here. My soul appreciates the daily baths.
Forgive me if I have made anyone believe I was anything other than who I am. A believing woman.

Zaynab123

Subhana Allah!
Salaam,

I attended VCU a million years ago and had a little apartment there.

No, I was born into a Muslim family. I was a child of the sixties and got my schooling in the seventies. I was very rebellious. I did not practice for many years. My heart was always aching. It was a family joke that I changed my faith with each season. I could not find how to quench the fire in my soul. I searched high and I searched low. I read everything I could. I practiced everything I could. I could not find peace. I volunteered for everything. I always had energy. I could not get rid of that energy. But, my soul was sad. I would take time away from the world and meditate. I was always drawn to the spritual side of life. In a sense, I loved Neil Young's song Searching for a Heart of Gold.
I always kept a copy of the Quran. One night as I was in the depths of looking for the Truth I opened the Quran...I had read it several times before..but this time..the opening Sura changed my life. In those meliforous words the medicine that I had been seeking cured me. Life made sense. It was as if I opened my eyes for the first time. I recall tears streaming down my face.
It took a very long time before I was able to ingest the magnitude of how my life changed. I was headed for Havard to earn a PH.D. I had everything ready and my life took a Right turn. I ended up being arrested for stopping a bus outside the White House. It was in the midst of Desert Storm. I was very politcally alive. Well you can't do stuff like that and keep a good job...so you make a choice..
So here I am in wild and wonderful West Virginia..and the rest is history.
Do I regret anything..no..because the sum total of my expereinces have led to here. My soul appreciates the daily baths.
Forgive me if I have made anyone believe I was anything other than who I am. A believing woman.

salam

very beautiful journey, masha Allah. you sure are a believing woman.......:hijabi:

Ghareebah

Bint Abdulkadir
salam alaykum

Qoute (mirajmom)
I am very sorry that a simple and delightful post has turned into yet another finger pointing you better do this or else you won't get into heaven ordeal. In a sense I am glad we do not have humans guarding the gates of heaven. I hope this is over but I will add..brothers and sisters let us be careful before we point to the hint of a speck in someone else's eye and we have a beam in ours. If my owning a dog prevents you from respecting me as a human being..I will make dua for you.

sister mirajmom im sorry my little concern makes you believe that i am finger pointing...i always thought as muslims we could tell each other about our faults and correct each other, because thats our JOB as the noble quran states:

"You [true believers in Islâmic Monotheism, and real followers of Prophet Muhammad SAW and his Sunnah (legal ways, etc.)] are the best of peoples ever raised up for mankind; you enjoin Al-Ma'rûf (i.e. Islâmic Monotheism and all that Islâm has ordained) and forbid Al-Munkar (polytheism, disbelief and all that Islâm has forbidden), and you believe in Allâh" [3:110 ].

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another: they enjoin what is just, and forbid what is evil: they observe regular prayers, practise regular charity, and obey Allah and His Messenger. On them will Allah pour His mercy: for Allah is Exalted in power, Wise. [9:71]

and who said in this post that you wont get into heaven? i cant even say that to a kafir because i dont know if tommorow hell accept islam. sister please there is no need to go over board on things, the reason i brought the dog issue is because i was worried for you, read carefully again that ayah above. i am in no position to finger point or accuse any ones intention, but remember Allah does not accept a 'GOOD' intention if it goes against islamic principles and the sunnah of the prophet no matter how good you think it is. and i never even asked you in a rude way, why you kept a dog?

Qoute
In prespective often the younger ones are the fingerpointers. Youth has time and nothing to do...one of the beauties of life is experiences in life humble you. Your realtionship with the Divine One becomes more important and you learn to live life in a manner that is forgiving..because you know that the Day is coming in which you need to be forgiven.

dont you think thats unfair the young ones are the finger pointers? do you even know how old i am? im not some little 15 year old telling off a 30 year old or whatever age you are. AND i have something to do , i do a lot of things to utilise my time...you just unfairly stereotyped and misjudged me and the others here who have advised you..if you didnt want advice then please dont write in public that you have a dog! of course youre going to get a reaction. i do respect you and i didnt misjudge you or thought that you were a bad muslim, we are all not perfect only Allah is.

Qoute

no need to ask for forgiveness, no one here ever thought you were an unbeliever. anyway i didnt mean for the post to go off topic, however my only intention of bringing up the dog was because i ASSUMED you didnt know the rules of keeping a dog, because if a muslim did know the dog wouldnt be in his house, but as you say you keep it for security. so everyone lets just leave at that, there is no reason why this should be dragged on any further, and if sister mirajmom has asked a knowledgeable person about this then khair, we leave the rest to Allah, as he is the only judge.

wa salamu alaikum warahamatulahi wabarakatuhu

Sajidah_1

ancient one
AsalaamU Alaikum ...Sis that made me laugh and smile ,I can relate to the storey as I am a school bus driver and Alhamdulilah also coverd so when one has a rambuncious group one tends to try and get to point B as fast as possible ,but sis always remember one golden rule of the road ..It is better to be late and frazzeld then never to arrive. And about your dog sis ,all you have heard is correct from others, so may I suggest if possible to find Inshallah one room in your home where the dog can not go and you use this room only for prayer and study and remeber always make wudu and have a clean garb on that you have not worn around the dog..Allah makes all things easy sis ..:)

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

Sister I ask members to remember we are a public forum thus to write in a manner that makes one serious. Your total disrregard for the rules of simple grammar are sad.

You assumed. Oh . Sister if you assume you allow yourself to make poor decisions. There was nothing in my post that would have suggest I did not know. That was not the topic. If you research this site there have been many posts on the specific religious reasons for not keeping some domesticated animals..In interactions with others if we make assumptions we show a prejudice. In a sense, making an assumption leads to speculation. It is better to be open and clear.

Sister, I can write whatever I please. Please do not tell me what kinds of reactions I will get from my thoughts. Once again, you made an assumption.

Sister, please...forgive me but you are not in a position to discuss my prospects of going to heaven.

As you feel it is necessary to correct me here goes I will do my Muslim duty for you: Chill out. Be careful young lady. What goes around comes around. If you keep finding faults in others...you will only find others finding fault in you.

And you let me know your age...were that I was close to 30 again..you have made my day.

Ghareebah

Bint Abdulkadir
Salaam,

Sister I ask members to remember we are a public forum thus to write in a manner that makes one serious. Your total disrregard for the rules of simple grammar are sad.

You assumed. Oh . Sister if you assume you allow yourself to make poor decisions. There was nothing in my post that would have suggest I did not know. That was not the topic. If you research this site there have been many posts on the specific religious reasons for not keeping some domesticated animals..In interactions with others if we make assumptions we show a prejudice. In a sense, making an assumption leads to speculation. It is better to be open and clear.

Sister, I can write whatever I please. Please do not tell me what kinds of reactions I will get from my thoughts. Once again, you made an assumption.

Sister, please...forgive me but you are not in a position to discuss my prospects of going to heaven.
As you feel it is necessary to correct me here goes I will do my Muslim duty for you: Chill out. Be careful young lady. What goes around comes around. If you keep finding faults in others...you will only find others finding fault in you.

And you let me know your age...were that I was close to 30 again..you have made my day.

salam alaykum sister

let me make it clear... it seems you didnt read my post carefully, i and others on this forum did not discuss your elegability to enter heaven nor did we say you are not going to heaven, subhanallah, for an older person you do not seem to listen carefully or read in this case. And how have i disregarded grammer rules, do you even read your posts, so many spelling mistakes and your grilling me on grammer:ma:.. i always thought the older ones were the ones who would reply with a little bit of manners, and advising you about your dog does not mean i am picking at your faults.

but for the sake of Allah i will leave this argument because for some people a little advice is like hot coal. i am not angry nor upset, but i hope that i didnot offend you nor anyone else here on TTI as i said before i wanted to advice you because this issue is not something small, infact i have not said anything to you about your dog other than its not permitted to keep it. And yes i ASSUMED but did not judge you for i am in no position to do that. I gave you the benefit of the doubt, thank you for noticing!

may Allah forgive us all for this time wasting and useless bickering over a dog, which started out as an advice but turned into a baseless and futile
argument. And forgive me for ADVISING you because as you ASSUMED i judged you and i didnt want anyone to think i judged them when i only was concerned.

oh and by the way i am a grown woman who is married and in her mid twenties? still young and childish i guese.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

Sister chill...and let those who want to smile at my innocent post do so. I do not have time to waste going over and over what is wrong with my interpertation of your needing to correct me. I have to go and pull weeds and let my garden breathe as I wait for my sons to come home.

salahdin

asalama aleikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatu my sister concerning security its ALMIGHTY ALLAH (AZA WA JALLAH) thats provides it its just like when you did have the dog . the second thing is you know that dogs sniff people with their nose how do you avoid it, you and you sons .You know that if a dog sniffs (smells) you with his or her nose you must wash yourself seven times in order to be pure (clean) .

We follower the quran and the sunnah and the sunnah states that dogs nose is impure so why break this sunnah. For ALLAH (AZA WA JALLAH) IS THE PROVIDER AND THE SUSTAINER so dont worry what is going to happen with the dogs . You are properbly saying why are they hard on me we a not hard on you sister its we do care for you and those who care for each other (true believers) remind each what is good and prohibit what is wrong. its as if you see me doing something that is against ISLAM shall you warn me and advice me say its not my thing ? if i have offended you please forgive me sister thats not my intention .

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

Brother you have not offened me. I thank you for taking the time to respond. Your posts are wonderful to read.

Brother, there are times when it is better to be silent. I am at a stage in my life where I am in need of correcting my intentions as I prepare for my journey home. I am not ready to die but I have greater issues on my mind.

Please continue to provide us with your posts.

salahdin

MASHALLAH SISTER THANK YOU FOR UNDERSTANDING ME .YOU TOO CONTINUE POSTING AND ADVISING US . I DO HAVE GREAT RESPECT FOR YOU MY SISTER MAY ALLAH (AZA WA JALLAH) HELP US ON OUR WAY TO THE GARDENS UNDERNEATH WHICH RIVERS FLOW WHEREIN WE WILL DWELL FOREVER AMIN.

Correct understanding of Islam is one of the best of characteristics with which a Muslim may be honored, as the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “When Allaah wishes good for a person, He makes him understand the religion.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 69

Skywalker

As-salam-o'-alaikum

@mirajmom

You really are a great person.

I just can't understand why some people like to present a very complex picture of Islam, instead Islam is a very simple religion.

NO OFFENCE INTENDED.

I think there are many issues in the contemporary world that demands our greater attention. Why not do something regarding that?

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

Dearest Skywalker ( was a fan of the movies..watched the first movie three times in a row!)

Funny thing you mention this. I was on CagePrisoners this morning. There is an interview with an Algerian brother. It is a good read. In the body of the interview he sums up how Muslims are really scared ( my words).

We are scared. We are so scared by association. We have given power to others by being scared. I will speak of myself. I went through a period of four months where I was scared. I had been intimidated and did not want to ever put myself through that again. As I write this I am still thinking do I write about the Truth or do I settle for the little that I have.

We are living in times when the only word to use is crazy. Legislation is passed overnight and rules change. I like the word lock-down. We have become prisoners in this world, by choice. We bicker over nothing but where are we when we need to act. Where are we to help rid of this crazy atmosphere.

We are apathetic. I watch the posts that are never read. They are the serious ones. We are too scared to get involved. A simple letter, a phone call, or an e-mail is involvement. Or best yet, our supplications need to be focused on how we can be guided to want for the Creation of Allah subhana talla what we want for ourselves.

Forgive me.

Skywalker

As-salam-o'-alaikum

@mirajmom

You and I share something in common. We think quite alike.

I am not very fond of the Skywalker movies but I really like the name though;-)

You know the real problem is that we are too involved in ourselves. People are afraid to broaden their horizons.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

Heaven help you brother if we think alike!!!

The movies..do not get me started...they are so racist and that is the begining...I seldom watch movies anymore..I fall asleep.

We are our worst enemies...because we love our physical beings so much.

Insha'Allah we will communicate and increase our iman.

Sajidah_1

ancient one
SupbanALLAH as some one who is new to this site it pains the eyes when I see such actions , to the sister who said she only was trying to advise ...plzz as a muslim we advise once no more no less ,other wise you may as well be beating a dead horse , when one advises dear sister understand that if we repeat over an over we then begin to be seen as no longer advising but rather enforcing our will upon another and this we leave to Allah and as you and all of us are now seeing some one we love is feeling hurt ,and the hurt I am sencing is coming from you both ..I dont know either of you but walhi I love you both for the sake of Allah and I now pray you both take a moment to step back ,take a deep breath and then come together once again with love and kindness in your hearts ...for as muslims we struggle hard each in our own daily life and this life is short so do any of us have the time to spend even a moment hurt or upset ......so plzz inshallah I would hug you both and say now is finnished