Ethno-Centrisim

lvn4islam

Does Islam forbid non-viloent ethno-centrism or racial pride? Is it permissable for a Muslim to belong to an ethno-centric organization?

ShyHijabi

All mankind is from Adam and Eve, an Arab has no superiority over a non-Arab nor a non-Arab has any superiority over an Arab; also a white has no superiority over a black nor a black has any superiority over white except by piety and good action. Learn that every Muslim is a brother to every Muslim and that the Muslims constitute one brotherhood. Nothing shall be legitimate to a Muslim which belongs to a fellow Muslim unless it was given freely and willingly. Do not, therefore, do injustice to yourselves.

http://www.themodernreligion.com/prophet/prophet_lastsermon.htm

Having pride in one's ethnic background makes about as much sense as having pride in your blood pressure or gender. You did not create your ethnicity and Prophet Mohammed (peace be upon him) specifically mentioned that race/ethnicity does not set one apart from another in worth. We should avoid things which seperate or create sects.

xAllahKnowsBestx

http://www.themodernreligion.com/prophet/prophet_lastsermon.htm

Having pride in one's ethnic background makes about as much sense as having pride in your blood pressure or gender. You did not create your ethnicity and Prophet Mohammed (peace be upon him) specifically mentioned that race/ethnicity does not set one apart from another in worth. We should avoid things which seperate or create sects.

:salam2:
I totally agree with that! I don't think it's right to have pride in your ethnicity. We never chose to be what race we are. :hijabi:

:wasalam:

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
:salam2:

all i can say is that there is no problem with having ethnic pride, but it does become wrong when people begin to believe that their ethnicity is better than others. unfortunately, there are many in our community that have failed to let go of some beefs that they have with people of different nationalities. this lack of unity is detrimental to the cause of islam and particularly in coming to the aid of the brothers and sisters in Palestine. one of the beautiful things about islam is it's lack of nationalism, it's just sad to see that many have forgotten this.
:wasalam:

kayleigh

Isn't there also a hadith that says something like those who have nationalism or pride is like a worm crawling through excrement? anyone know what I'm talking about? I hope I'm not just making this up lol

Even if it were allowed, being ethnocentric is just ignorant.