Fasting

Wulf

Salaam Alaykum

I understand that the month of Rammadan requires fasting. My question is, How does one with Diabetes handle this?

In order to control my diabetes, I must take my medication in the morning, with food. If I do not take the medication I risk some rather serious complications.

Your advice would be most apreciated.

Umm Aysha

*Strive for Jannah*
Asalaamu Alaykum

Question:
I have diabetes typeII wich is NIDM non insuline depend diabetes, I don't use any medicine, I only controll diet and I do litle phisical exercise to keep in right level of my sugar(blood).
I have this decease one year and two monhts. Last Ramadan I fasted some days but I could n't continue do to my low level of sugar(blood). This year I feel good (Alhamdu Lillah)I ONLY feel pain in my brain during fasting!? So my question is, is it my DUTY to fast dispite my desease? Can test my blood during fasting times; "causing blood to come from my fingers"?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

It is prescribed for sick people not to fast in Ramadaan, if fasting will cause harm or make the sickness worse, or if they need treatment during the day in the form of medicine or pills that must be swallowed, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“and whoever is ill or on a journey, the same number [of days which one did not observe Sawm (fasts) must be made up] from other days”[al-Baqarah 2:185]

And the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Allaah loves people to avail themselves of His concessions (rukhsah) just as He hates them to commit sin.” According to another version, “As He loves His commands to be obeyed.”

With regard to taking blood from veins for testing etc., the correct view is that this does not break the fast, but if it is done often, it is better to leave it until night-time. If it is done during the day then to be on the safe side that day should be made up, because this is akin to cupping.”

(Fatwa of Shaykh Ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him), from Fataawa Islamiyyah, vol. 2, p. 139)

Sickness is of various kinds:

1 – That which does not affect the fast, such as a light cold or mild headache or toothache, and the like. In this case it is not permissible to break the fast, even though some of the scholars permitted that because of the aayah (interpretation of the meaning):

“and whoever is ill…”[al-Baqarah 2:185]

But we say that this ruling is based on a reason, which is that not fasting is easier. If that is the case, then we would say that not fasting is better, but if fasting does not have an effect on him then it is not permissible to break the fast, and he has to fast.

2 – If fasting is difficult for the sick person, but it does not harm him, then it is makrooh for him to fast and it is Sunnah for him to break his fast.

3 – If fasting is difficult for him and will cause him harm, such as a man who has kidney disease or diabetes and similar cases where fasting will cause harm. In this case fasting is haraam. Hence we may see that some mujtahids and sick people make a mistake when fasting is difficult for them and may harm them, but they refuse to break their fast. We say that they are mistaken because they refuse to accept the kindness of Allaah and the concession that He has given to them, and they are harming themselves, although Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And do not kill yourselves”[al-Nisa’ 4:29]

al-Sharh al-Mumti’ by Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, vol. 6, 352-254.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

wasalam

virtualeye

Tamed Brother
Asalaam Alaykum Umm Aysha

Thank you for your help and patience.

Robin

Just a little point to make. I dont remember the reference to the following story (and there might be some changes in it) but there is just a moral in it:

There was a pious man in old times who had never missed his prayers. But one day he could not offer his morning prayer because he was sleeping. When he woke up to find that he is late, he regretted so much and cried a lot due and blamed himself for missing the prayer.

Next morning a person shaked that pious man so that he can wake up for the morning prayer. The pious man asked as who is that person. The person replied 'I am devil'. Upon this the pious man was wondering why in the world a devil would help him offer prayers to God? Upon asking, devil replied that when you missed the yesterday prayer and you regretted and cried so much that Allah SWT granted you reward of 70 prayers, so I am waking you up this morning so that you do not get that much rewards again.

Moral: It is the intention of the man which is judged by Allah SWT. It is that great passion of love and fear at the same time which you feel by missing your duty. Similarly if you are not fasting due to some disease, then it is the feeling of loss by not fasting, that counts. Otherwise avoiding the food in fasting has not much meaning. It is the intention of the man in his deeds which will be judged by the Merciful.

Wassalaam,
VE

Hiba_Islam

salam to the nation of love and peace

Salamu alaikum brothers and sisters,

Just want to welcome Wulf to the website and wish him the best of guidance.
the story of the pious man really made me cry thank you for that moment of shared Iman.
:hijabi:
Salam

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic
Insulin injections taken by a diabetic do not invalidate the fast​

Question:
There is a man who has diabetes, and he has subcutaneous injections. If he does not take this injection his blood sugar levels will rise. Is it permissible for him to take these injections during the month of Ramadaan?.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

There is nothing wrong with you taking these injections during the day for the purpose of medical treatment, and you do not have to make up those fasts. If you can take them at night without that causing you any hardship, that is better.

And Allaah is the Source of strength. May Allaah send blessings and peace upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon his family and companions.

Standing Committee for Academic Research and Issuing Fatwas, 10/252.

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic
Hi Robin,

I just wanted to add (that`s the doctor in me) that it is really individualized on a patient basis. In other words, it depends on the diabetic condition. Is it severe diabetes that is poorly controlled and requiring high doses of insulin, or is it a mild form that is well controlled?

In Muslim countries, we have thousands of diabetics that we still allow to fast during the month of Ramadhan. We just modify the meal times, and the time they take their insulin injections.

For example, the breakfast meal to them is the time they break their fast at 6 p.m. (or whatever time that may be). They can take their lunch meal at around 11 p.m. and dinner coincides with suhoor time at around 4 a.m. (suhoor is the last meal taken just before starting to fast the next day - fajr time). This is in middle-eastern time zones.

Here is the importance of having a pious Muslim doctor who knows a patient`s Islamic obligations, and his medical status.

Islam is very flexible in these issues as you have read from the previous posts.

I pray to Allah that we may discuss this in more details regarding your specific situation in the near future.:wink:

Wulf

Salamu alaikum Happy 2BA Muslim

Where do I begin?

I have Type 2 Diabetes which I try to control through Diet, albeit not too successfuly. My count averages between 7.5 and 11.0.
As a result I live with Peripheral Arterial Disease. Thankfully there is no Stenosis.

My medication is 30Mg Gliclazide in the mornings and 60MG at night.

I also have Osteo Arthritis as a result of someone running over my Harly. The problem there was that I was sitting on it at the time:SMILY335:

On a day to day basis, these things do not cause me great concern, I am happy to be alive and no longer in a wheelchair. God could have kept me when I died, but he must have sent me back for reason.

As a Single Father, careing for a 13 year old Daughter, I most certainly lead an active life.
My activities also include Voluntary Teaching. I teach English Literacy to non English speaking Migrants, plus I also teach computer usage and software, to the Aged, the Unemployed and Migrants. I figure that If cannot work for wages, I will pass on my knowledge, and help those who need it, for free.

I am not yet over the hill, only halfway up the hill.

I control my conditions within the parameters of my ability to do so.:SMILY335:

Salaam
Robin

Wulf

thank you

Salamu alaikum Hiba_Islam.

What bad manners I have.

I almost forgot to thank you for your kind welcome.

Thank you Hiba_Islam, your welcome is most apreciated.

salaam
Robin (Wulf)

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic
Assalamu alaikum Brother Robin,

I hope you don`t mind me communicating with you by e-mail. I just don`t want you to expose too much personal information in the forum.

Is it possible for you to switch to a short-acting oral hypoglycemic - GlucoNorm® (repaglinide) ?

This is considered better for people who fast according to endocrinologists?

I will communicate with you by e-mail once you give me your O.K.

Wulf

Assalamu alaikum
Happy 2BA Muslim

I have no objection to you contacting me by email.

Thank you for your offer of help.

:wasalam:

Robin