Father does not let me go to Mosque..?

Shamim56

Muslim Brother
Assalamualakum,

I have a big problem with my father and it's that he doesn't let me go to the mosque. My father always wants me to go somewhere else with him like shopping. I have not had a very good relationship with my father even though I try very hard and give him the most respect I can, even with that he curses at me. I tell him my friend is picking me up to go to the mosque and says if I go against his word he will hit me :(

My brother knows about my father and he says do not obey him when it comes to religion, we try settling it with my father but he's very arrogant and thinks he is only right... He likes our sisters more than us because they got far in education and wealth however they don't follow religion, they eat pork and never pray but my dad doesn't care. I don't want to be like them.

I don't know what to do, the only way to go to the mosque is to leave him without saying anything and just go, although I know he will yell at me when I get back....

I don't know what to do but I feel like I should leave him for prayer in the mosque

neox297

It is not a requirment for Women to go to the mosque, one option is to continue praying at home.

However if you would still like to go the the mosque for social and or relegious reasons than i think you should regardless if your Father opinion on this matter

Personally, I would go without even telling him about it, and let him become used you "disobeying" his wishes and eventually he will get used to the idea and insha Allah come to accept it

In islam keeping your parents happy is crucial, but keeping your Lord happy with you is far more important. And if there is a conflict in keeping both parties happy, you have to choose Allah. However please make sure to exhaust all your options if you do take this route. Some ideas that come to mind is maybe having a mutual friend or even Imam, discuss the importance of allowing his daughter to practice her faith.

Are you open with your father. Are you able to express how you feel? If that is not the style of your relationship I highly encoruage you to catch him at a good time, and pour your heart out to him and let him know how you feel unappreciated compared to your siblings and how much it hurts you. The feelings of love that might have been covered with layers might be wiped away and some love for his daughter might shimmer through.

oh, and definitely make dua! because truly it is only Allah who can help you. and remember Allah tests those whom he loves. you probably got a ton of deeds just by posting here about your issue, this shows Allah you care. Goodjob! yayyyyy!

and get married soon to good man, so you no longer seek his premession to go to mosques and such

keep us posted sister, i really hope things work out for you

jazakAllah Khair

Yunus Shaikh

May Allah help you

brother i can suggest you you can go to the Masjid when ever you want and pray to allah swt :salah: i would like to know wheather your sisters whom you say they eat pork have changed their religion ? cant you stop them or advice them not to do such things which are haram, does your father go atleast for juma prayers ? or else try to tell the imam to explain to your father may this thing will help inshallah

neox297

Lol, sorry, my mother used to know a woman named shamim and i assumed that. I guess the name goes both ways

besmiralalbani

Think for yourself
InshAllah this can help you, it is a little bit similar to your case

Brother I hope it will help you. I know this kind of situation is not easy.
Remember to make ALWAYS du'a to Allah subhana wa ta'ala to change your fathers hear and attitude.
Salam alaykum

Question:
His father does not let him pray Fajr in the mosque – should he obey him?
I am 16 years old and the mosque is close to our house, but my father does not allow me to pray Fajr there, although he lets me offer all the other prayers there. He says that he is afraid that something may happen to me, because between our house and the mosque there is an intersection. I have spoken to him a great deal and tried to convince him by quoting verses and ahaadeeth, but to no avail. Should I go and pray without his knowledge?.

Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly:

To begin with, we would like to congratulate you for these good intentions and keenness to offer the obligatory prayers in congregation. We ask Allaah to make you steadfast in adhering to Islam and righteousness, and we pray that your father’s actions will not put you off from doing what is right and following true guidance. Before answering your question, we should mention a very important matter, which is:

Honouring and obeying one's parents has been enjoined by Allaah in many places in His holy Book, such as the verses in which He says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Worship Allaah and join none with Him (in worship); and do good to parents …”

[al-Nisa’ 4:36]

“And your Lord has decreed that you worship none but Him. And that you be dutiful to your parents. If one of them or both of them attain old age in your life, say not to them a word of disrespect, nor shout at them but address them in terms of honour.

24. And lower unto them the wing of submission and humility through mercy, and say: ‘My Lord! Bestow on them Your Mercy as they did bring me up when I was young’”

[al-Isra’ 17:23, 24]

Obedience to parents is obligatory, unless they tell you to disobey Allaah, in which case you are not obliged to obey them, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There is no obedience if it involves disobedience towards Allaah, rather obedience is only in matters that are right and proper.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 6830; Muslim, 1840.

With regard to prayer in congregation, this is obligatory, and it is not permissible for a father to forbid his son who has reached the age of maturity to do it. Rather parents should enjoin their sons to pray in congregation and encourage and urge them to do so. If the father notices that his son is falling short in that regard, then he must make him aware of his responsibilities and remind him that he will be questioned about it before Allaah on the Day of Reckoning. So he should enjoin what is right and forbid what is wrong, and remind those who are under his care of their duties towards their Lord and the seriousness of neglecting those duties.

If the father falls short in his duties towards his children by not enjoining what is good and forbidding what is evil, or encouraging them to do good and warning them against evil, this does not absolve them (the sons) of sin if they fall short in their duties or commit haraam actions.

If the father forbids his sons to perform a duty that has been enjoined upon them by Allaah, in that case they do not have to obey him by disobeying Allaah or by forsaking that which Allaah has commanded. If the father tells his son not to offer all or some of the prayers in congregation, then he has told him to commit a sin, and this case he is not to be obeyed, but at the same time he should be treated with kindness and respect.

With regard to your question about going secretly to pray Fajr, this is good on your part, but it is treating your father badly without realizing it. You father is committing a sin so long as he forbids you to pray in congregation, and even if you go out secretly, the burden of sin is not lifted from him, because he is still telling you to do something wrong and forbidding you to do something good, even if you go out to pray without his knowledge. So you have to try to convince him of the Islamic ruling, even if you get someone else to do it, if he will not listen to you or he thinks you are too young. If he does not respond, then there is no sin on you if you go out without his permission or knowledge, but you have to be very careful when going to the mosque.

Secondly:

We say to your father – may Allaah guide him – that Allaah has given you a great responsibility, which is to teach and advise your family, including your wife and children. The Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said in a hadeeth whose authenticity is agreed upon: “Each of you is a shepherd and responsible for his flock. The man is the shepherd of his family and is responsible for his flock.”

Allaah has commanded you to protect yourself and your family from His Fire, as He says (interpretation of the meaning):

“O you who believe! Ward off yourselves and your families against a Fire (Hell) whose fuel is men and stones, over which are (appointed) angels stern (and) severe, who disobey not, (from executing) the Commands they receive from Allaah, but do that which they are commanded”

[al-Tahreem 66:6]

And He says, enjoining the prayer (interpretation of the meaning):

“And enjoin As‑Salaah (the prayer) on your family, and be patient in offering them [i.e. the Salaah (prayers)]. We ask not of you a provision (i.e. to give Us something: money): We provide for you. And the good end (i.e. Paradise) is for the Muttaqoon (the pious)”

[Ta-Ha 20:132]

Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

Whoever neglects to teach his son that which will benefit him, and ignores him, has done something very bad indeed. Most children go astray because of their parents who neglect them and fail to teach them the duties and Sunnahs of their religion. They neglect them when they are young so they do not benefit themselves or benefit their parents when they grow up. End quote.

Tuhfat al-Mawdood, p. 229

We ask you an important question: Where are you when it is time for Fajr prayer? Is it not obligatory for you to offer the prayer in congregation? Is it not obligatory for you to be a good example for your family and children by praying in congregation in the house of Allaah? If you do that, you will have fulfilled the duty that Allaah has enjoined upon you, and you will have helped your son to pray in the mosque, and you will put your mind at rest if you are worried about him going alone.

Remember that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) has told us that whoever prays Fajr in the mosque will be under the protection of Allaah, so how can you fear for one who is under the protection of Allaah, may He be exalted?

It was narrated that Jundub ibn ‘Abd-Allaah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever prays Fajr is under the protection of Allaah, so do not fall short with regard to the rights of Allaah, for anyone who does that, Allaah will seize him and will throw him on his face into the Fire of Hell.”Narrated by Muslim, 657.

We ask Allaah to help you to fulfil the trust and to make you a good example for your family, and to make you help your son to offer the prayers in the house of Allaah.

And Allaah knows best.
Islam Q&A

TipuSultan

Banned
:salam2: akhi
really ur name confusing.in india shamim sister name.
akhi u only 16 and half mashallah :)

u must tell ur dad that namaz is fard and pray to Allah that he also come to moque with you.
which country do u come from?

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
:salam2:

Brother besmiralalbani..has posted a thorough fatwa for you mashallah..

And I would like to add a little piece of advice...

Remain calm with your father akhi..if in your attempt to make him understand the duty of praying in the masjid he gets upset and says or does things which are offensive or inappropriate to you or the deen (especially!)..I suggest that you stop trying to make him understand..because then he'll earn faults on top of the original ones...so be merciful to him..and do not allow shaitan to take over him and add to his shortcomings...if he gets worked up when advised..that's it..stop advising him..and just carry on with the other things I will suggest...

I recommend that you simply satisfy your father's needs (i.e. shopping, etc.) along with the duties of Allah...for example..when he asks for shopping..show your willingness to accompany him happily..*but*..set the time of the shopping trip after a prayer..or between two prayers..it's not a problem *at all*..if you go to the masjid and pray your prayer...leave to accompany your father..then go back again to pray..same thing goes..if he asks for a chore at home..say *Inshallah, it will be done right now!*..and go do it immediately..don't delay it..so he can see your eagerness to satisfy him..and if it's something that has to be scheduled..then do what I suggested akhi..schedule it so it falls between 2 prayers..

In-fact if there's a steady list of chores or shopping trips..why not *you* make the initiative..and before a prayer..you go ask your father if he'd like you to take him shopping..or if he'd like you to do the so-and-so chore?!!!..that way you get it out of the way..and earn your father's pleasure..so he'd see that you regard his needs and would not neglect him no matter what!..people..and especially parents..are like that sometimes..they feel "threatened" by the things that keep their children busy or away from them..so they "act-out" (for lack of a better description)..is it right?..no!..can we stop it?..Allahu A'alam..but in the meantime..we have to use our wisdom and ease them into thinking that they are *still and will always remain* important to us..through a few simple and kind gestures and actions..

Anyhow..the most important thing is that you remain calm..and hang on to every bit of patience..if your father is tough on you it's probably because he loves you and is looking out for you..but he has a strange manner of showing it (many parents are like that..believe me!)..and Inshallah when you become a parent one day you'll witness the same feelings..but Inshallah you will be guided towards the correct way to express them..and I digress..

Trust me..if you just show your father that you care about what he needs and you do it with all your heart in the best of manners..you will see him get calmer and calmer and more lenient with you about your trips to the masjid..especially if you still follow good manners with him..and every time you go pray..you inform him of that..and then tell him.."if you need anything while I am gone..don't hesitate to call me and leave me a message so I would do it for you once I come back"..it's a smaaall gesture..but it will just make him feel like he still holds the same regard in your life and you still seek his pleasure and favor no matter what!

Also..and even though I'm leaving this as the last piece of advice..I would like to remind you of the power of dua'a..always always make dua'a for him..hearts are within Allah's hands..and He (sobhanaho wa ta'ala) turns them about as He pleases..so seek Allah in softening your father's heart..and setting it upon what pleases Him..so *he* would earn Allah's favor and you would find peace too akhi..you don't know *when* your dua'a will be answered..but you know this much brother..you know that Allah *NEVER* leaves a dua'a *unanswered*..so don't leave dua'a..and by Allah and He's The One and Only..you will be granted what you seek if not more!

May Allah grant you patience..and guide your father to that which He (sobhanaho wa ta'ala) is pleased with..Ameen

:wasalam:

islamfollower

Al-Salaam-Alaykum

Shammim56, you are a brave girl for asking this question. Indeed you are well in your right to go to the masjid and pray all the five prayers and other congregational prayers offered in the masjid.
All the posters telling you to listen to your father and to make him happy are right, but not when it comes to this kind of things.

The messanger of allah said “Do not prevent the she-servants of Allah from Allah's mosques.”

THIS IS FROM ISLAMONLINE

The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) explicitly told men not to exclude women from going to the Mosque. It is reported that the wife of `Umar Ibn Al-Khattab (may Allah be pleased with him) used to attend the congregational Prayer in the Mosque at Fajr and `Ishaa' Prayers. It was said to her, "Why do you leave home, you know that `Umar does not like that and he feels ashamed (that you leave home at that time)?" She said, "So what prevents him from stopping Me?" The person said, "It is the words of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) 'Do not prevent the she-servants of Allah from Allah's Mosques.'" (Reported by Al-Bukhari)

It is not known that any Companion of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) or a prominent jurist forbade women from attending the prayers in the Mosque. The custom of preventing women from attending the Mosques started later in times. This unfortunately has negative impact on many of our sisters, drawing them backward and making them ignorant of their faith.

Women in the West go everywhere. They are in the markets, in malls, in restaurants, and in offices. It is ironic that some men allow them to go to all the places of temptation, but they want to stop them from coming to the places where they can pray to their Lord and learn about their faith.

Please shamim56 if you want to go to the masjid, please show your father the words of the messanger of allah, and tell him he is not folowing the words on the messanger of allah. You are well in your right.

I pray that your father understand the words of the messanger of allah, and allah knows best.

islamfollower

Al-Salaam-Alaylum

wow, sorry brother shamim56, i thought you were of the opposite gender, i sincerely apologize, but this still applies to all muslims, and there is no reason why your father should prohibit you from going to the masjid, again very sorry.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Please make dua as we will to. Believe that Allah will make a way for you. Never doubt that the path will be easy. There is always a reason. But never never doubt. Insha'Allah, you will be able to attend.

I would contact an imam from a masjid and ask him to come to your home and address your father. A man to man conversation may lead your father to attend the masjid, too. This may be a good thing.

You are doing the correct thing by writing to us. There are many knowledgeable brothers and sisters who will give you words of comfort.

Ramadan is approaching. And the blessings will flow.

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals

Brother besmiralalbani..has posted a thorough fatwa for you mashallah..

And I would like to add a little piece of advice...

Remain calm with your father akhi..if in your attempt to make him understand the duty of praying in the masjid he gets upset and says or does things which are offensive or inappropriate to you or the deen (especially!)..I suggest that you stop trying to make him understand..because then he'll earn faults on top of the original ones...so be merciful to him..and do not allow shaitan to take over him and add to his shortcomings...if he gets worked up when advised..that's it..stop advising him..and just carry on with the other things I will suggest...

I recommend that you simply satisfy your father's needs (i.e. shopping, etc.) along with the duties of Allah...for example..when he asks for shopping..show your willingness to accompany him happily..*but*..set the time of the shopping trip after a prayer..or between two prayers..it's not a problem *at all*..if you go to the masjid and pray your prayer...leave to accompany your father..then go back again to pray..same thing goes..if he asks for a chore at home..say *Inshallah, it will be done right now!*..and go do it immediately..don't delay it..so he can see your eagerness to satisfy him..and if it's something that has to be scheduled..then do what I suggested akhi..schedule it so it falls between 2 prayers..

In-fact if there's a steady list of chores or shopping trips..why not *you* make the initiative..and before a prayer..you go ask your father if he'd like you to take him shopping..or if he'd like you to do the so-and-so chore?!!!..that way you get it out of the way..and earn your father's pleasure..so he'd see that you regard his needs and would not neglect him no matter what!..people..and especially parents..are like that sometimes..they feel "threatened" by the things that keep their children busy or away from them..so they "act-out" (for lack of a better description)..is it right?..no!..can we stop it?..Allahu A'alam..but in the meantime..we have to use our wisdom and ease them into thinking that they are *still and will always remain* important to us..through a few simple and kind gestures and actions..

Anyhow..the most important thing is that you remain calm..and hang on to every bit of patience..if your father is tough on you it's probably because he loves you and is looking out for you..but he has a strange manner of showing it (many parents are like that..believe me!)..and Inshallah when you become a parent one day you'll witness the same feelings..but Inshallah you will be guided towards the correct way to express them..and I digress..

Trust me..if you just show your father that you care about what he needs and you do it with all your heart in the best of manners..you will see him get calmer and calmer and more lenient with you about your trips to the masjid..especially if you still follow good manners with him..and every time you go pray..you inform him of that..and then tell him.."if you need anything while I am gone..don't hesitate to call me and leave me a message so I would do it for you once I come back"..it's a smaaall gesture..but it will just make him feel like he still holds the same regard in your life and you still seek his pleasure and favor no matter what!

Also..and even though I'm leaving this as the last piece of advice..I would like to remind you of the power of dua'a..always always make dua'a for him..hearts are within Allah's hands..and He (sobhanaho wa ta'ala) turns them about as He pleases..so seek Allah in softening your father's heart..and setting it upon what pleases Him..so *he* would earn Allah's favor and you would find peace too akhi..you don't know *when* your dua'a will be answered..but you know this much brother..you know that Allah *NEVER* leaves a dua'a *unanswered*..so don't leave dua'a..and by Allah and He's The One and Only..you will be granted what you seek if not more!

May Allah grant you patience..and guide your father to that which He (sobhanaho wa ta'ala) is pleased with..Ameen

:ma:subhanaAllaah, I agree with her 100 and 10% :)

:tti_sister: Oh Allaah,all ease is from you and with you is the greatest mercy, I ask you to ease this situation and make him of those whom you're pleased with.ameen

saifkhan

abd-Allah
Saalam alaikum warahamtu-llah

may Allah ease your path brother.
and bless your family with Eeman.

even if he is inbetween the way of Allah subhanahu wa ta'la and you, dont listen to him, you can disobey but dont behave rough, we dont have the right, Allah subhanahu wa ta'la has given the right to disobey when it comes to shirk, but even then we are not instructed to behave so that they might say: uff...

I'll pray for you brother...inshaa'Allah.
always thank Allah azza wa jal that He has selected you and selected you to be tested, pray to Him so that He gives you patience

and Allah subhanahu wa ta'la knows the best
wassalam

The issue, I believe has been addressed. there is 1 thing I wanted to add.

memorize hadith number 1 of Annawawi:
http://www.kalamullah.com/40hadith1.html

Actions are judged by intentions

hadith01arabic.gif
It is narrated on the authority of Amirul Mu'minin, Abu Hafs 'Umar bin al-Khattab, radiyallahu 'anhu, who said: I heard the Messenger of Allah, sallallahu 'alayhi wasallam, say:

"Actions are (judged) by motives (niyyah), so each man will have what he intended. Thus, he whose migration (hijrah) was to Allah and His Messenger, his migration is to Allah and His Messenger; but he whose migration was for some worldly thing he might gain, or for a wife he might marry, his migration is to that for which he migrated."

[Al-Bukhari & Muslim]
if you have not already done so. The audio of that hadith is on the link page above that I posted. Try to reflect on this hadith often, as it will be a guide for you in your life, in sha Allah.

Then after that you could also reflect on hadith number 37 of Annawawi:

http://www.kalamullah.com/40hadith4.html

How deeds are recorded

hadith37arabic1.gif
hadith37arabic2.gif
Ibn Abbas, radiyallahu 'anhu, reported that the Messenger of Allah, sallallahu 'alayhi wasallam, related from his Lord (glorified and exalted be He):

"Verily Allah has recorded the good deeds and the evil deeds." Then he clarified that: "Whosoever intends to do a good deed but does not do it, Allah records it with Himself as a complete good deed; but if he intends it and does it, Allah records it with Himself as ten good deeds, up to seven hundred times, or more than that. But if he intends to do an evil deed and does not do it, Allah records it with Himself as a complete good deed; but if he intends it and does it, Allah records it down as one single evil deed."

[Al-Bukhari & Muslim]

Each in his Sahih have thus related it in these words:

"So look! My brother, may Allah help us, and take note of how great is the kindness of Allah - may He be exalted! Reflect on this, how that His saying "with Himself" points to His great care with regard to it, and His saying "complete" is for emphasis, not to point to the intensity of His care with regard to it. With regard to the evil deed which one intended but then abandoned, He says: "Allah records it with Himself as a complete good deed", emphasising this by the word "complete" (kamilah); whereas if he performs it, He records it down as "one evil deed", where by the word "one" He emphasises its being made little of, since He does not emphasise it here by the word "complete". So to Allah be praise and grace. Glory be to Him! Our praises to Him we cannot count. With Allah is success."

wa Allah ya'lam

dna1987

Muslim Guy
:salam2: akhi
really ur name confusing.in india shamim sister name.
akhi u only 16 and half mashallah :)

u must tell ur dad that namaz is fard and pray to Allah that he also come to moque with you.
which country do u come from?

Assalam alaikum.

I have an UNCLE (male; man; masculine; not-a-lady) who is called "Shameem". He's from the subcontinent. I thought the girl version was "Sharmeen". ?

saifkhan

abd-Allah
Saalam alaikum

generally:
Shamim/shameem is Masculine name
Shameema/Shamima is feminine...
I think there is nothing confusing....but usually it is a female name in Afgan/Pak
shameem/shamim means: breeze.
So,It can be a male/female name.

And Allah subhanahu wa ta'la knows the best
wassalam