Fear The Fitna Of Women!

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
It is related that a group of people were once seated in the company of Al-Hasan Al-Basri, when some men passed by, dragging along with them a body of a dead man. When Al-Hasan saw the dead man, a glint of instant recognition could be discerned in his eyes, and he fell unconscious from the shock of some memory that had just been rekindled.

When he regained consciousness, his companions asked him what was wrong with him.

He said; This man – referring to the dead man being dragged along on the ground – used to be one of the best worshippers and one of the most renowned ascetics in the world (renouncing all the temporary pleasures of this world because he was so busy and devoted to worship).

One day he left his home, intending to go to the masjid to pray; but on the way, he saw a beautiful young Christian women, who became an immediate temptation to him.

When he proposed to her, she refused, saying, “I will not marry you until you become an adherent of my religion.“

He went on his way, but as time went on, he yearned for her continued to increase. He then succumbed to her wish and exited from the fold of Islaam – the religion of pure, unadulterated Monotheism.

After he became a Christian and some time passed, the woman came out to him from behind the curtain and said, “You are a man who is bereft of goodness. You have forsaken your religion, which was important to you for your entire life, simply for the sake of a lust that is of no value. Indeed, I too am forsaking my religion, but not for the same reason. I am doing so in order to achieve a blissful existence that never comes to an end, an eternal existence under the care of the One, the As-Samad (i.e., Allaah; The Self-Sufficient Master, Whom all creature need, He neither eats nor drinks).“

She then recited the entire Chapter of Al-Ikhlaas:

“Say (O Muhammad (saw)): “He is Allah, (the) One. Allah-us-Samad (The Self-Sufficient Master, Whom all creatures need, He neither eats nor drinks). He begets not, nor was He begotten; And there is none co-equal or comparable unto Him.” [Qur'aan 112:1-4]

When the people had heard about what she had said, they approached her and asked, “All along, you had this Chapter memorized?“

“No,” she answered. “By Allaah, I had never known it before. But after this man continued to insist upon having me, I saw a dream; I saw Hellfire, and my place in it was shown to me. I became terrified and panic-stricken. Maalik – the gatekeeper of the Hellfire – said to me, ‘Do not be afraid or sad, for Allaah has ransomed (i.e., saved) you with this man (i.e., he will take the place in Hellfire that you would have taken had not Allaah saved you).’ He then took me by the hand and admitted me into Paradise. Seeing a line written inside of it, I read it; among what was written were these Words:

“Allaah blots out what He wills and confirms (what He wills). And with Him is the Mother of the Book (Al-Lauh Al-Mahfooz)“. [Qur'aan 13"39]

He then recited Soorah Ikhlaas to me, and I began to repeat it. Then I woke up and had it (Soorah Ikhlaas) memorized.“

Al-Hasan then said, “The woman then embraced Islaam, and the man – whose corpse you just saw being dragged away – was killed for having apostatized. And I ask Allaah to make us firm and steadfast upon guidance and to grant us safety and success.“

[Taken from "Glimpses From The Lives Of Righteous People", Pp. 53-55, Darussalam publishing]http://theauthenticbase.wordpress.com/2010/05/12/fear-the-fitna-of-women/

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
:salam2:

Did you type it out by yourself akhi from the book ? :)

JazakAllahu Khayran for posting.

Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
...Many men need to be reminded of this, daily:)
There's another hadith warning men, it said "Fattaqu-naara Wattaqu-Nisaa'"...or something fairly familiar:)
JazakAllah for sharing this akhy:)

arzafar

Men must be cautious with women but tbh it was the man's fault. He should have been lowering his gaze and also renouncing islam is his own decision. the title reads as if the woman had done something wrong.

Valerie

Men must be cautious with women but tbh it was the man's fault. He should have been lowering his gaze and also renouncing islam is his own decision. the title reads as if the woman had done something wrong.

This... !!!

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
For something to be a fitna, it doesn't necessitate for the cause to be actually 'wrong/evil/blame worthy'.

For example wealth can be a fitan too, however Islam doesn't discourage people from striving hard to earn money and gain wealth. But, if someone neglects his deen by the lure of money, amassing it by whatsoever means (lawful and unlawful), then he has erred and succumbed to the fitnah of wealth.

Asja

Pearl of Islaam

Wa Allaicumu Sallam wa rahamtullah wa barakatuhu

I must say that the title of this thread is not suitable to its content, as the responsible in this thread is also the man mentioned here which did not took enough care about the fitna of his eyes which he should as Allah is ordering to the believing man:

"Tell the believing men to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts, etc.). That is purer for them. Verily, Allâh is All-Aware of what they do.

And for the believing woman :

And tell the believing women to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts, etc.) and not to show off their adornment except only that which is apparent (like palms of hands or one eye or both eyes for necessity to see the way, or outer dress like veil, gloves, head-cover, apron, etc.), and to draw their veils all over Juyubihinna (i.e. their bodies, faces, necks and bosoms, etc.) and not to reveal their adornment except to their husbands, their fathers, their husband's fathers, their sons, their husband's sons, their brothers or their brother's sons, or their sister's sons, or their (Muslim) women (i.e. their sisters in Islâm), or the (female) slaves whom their right hands possess, or old male servants who lack vigour, or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex. And let them not stamp their feet so as to reveal what they hide of their adornment. And all of you beg Allâh to forgive you all, O believers, that you may be successful. (Surah An-Nur 24:30 ).

Like we can see from Noble Quran it is first ordered to believing man to lower his gaze, so he can keep his chesity and modesty for the sake of Allah. And for sure it is not just to blame someone else(in this case, this woman mentioned here) for the actiones for which we are responsible. For every Muslim is important to learn that he needs to take responsability for his actiones and words, to not try to avoid them or to find justification for them. Becouse if you were enough brave to do what you have done, than be enough brave to admit that and be responsibe toward yourselfe and people around you, if you are seeking for Allahs pleasure.

Furthermore, letting the gaze roam free cloaks the heart with darkness,. Just as lowering the gaze for Allah clothes it in light. After the above ayah, Allah, the Glorious and Mighty, says in the same Surah of the Qur'an:

Allah is the light of the heavens and the earth; the likeness of His light is as if there were a niche, and in the niche is a lamp, and in the lamp is a glass, and the glass is as it were a brilliant star, lit from a blessed tree, an olive neither of the east nor of the west, whose oil is well nigh luminous, though fire scarce touched it. Light upon light. Allah guides whomsoever He wants to His light. Allah strikes metaphors for man: and Allah knows all things. [Surah an-Nur: Ayah 35]

When the heart is a light, countless good comes to it from all directions. If it is dark, then clouds of evil and afflictions come from all directions to cover it up.

Marriage helps us to Lower our Gaze and to keep our eman strong, and believing woman is for believing man so that they both can educate their children in the spirit of Islam and its teaching.

Hadith - Sahih Bukhari 7.4, Narrated Abdullah, r.a.
We were with the Prophet while we were young and had no wealth whatever. So Allah's Apostle said, "O young people! Whoever among you can marry, should marry, because it helps him lower his gaze and guard his modesty (i.e. his private parts from committing illegal sexual intercourse etc.), and whoever is not able to marry, should fast, as fasting diminishes his sexual power."

If you want to show thanks to Allah, be thankfull to Him by refraining from the forbidden use of sight .

The Noble Qur'an Al-Balad 90:8
Have We not made for him a pair of eyes?

The Noble Qur'an Al-Mulk 67:23
Say it is He Who has created you, and endowed you with hearing (ears), seeing (eyes), and hearts. Little thanks you give.

The Noble Qur'an Ghaafir 40:19
Allâh knows the fraud of the eyes, and all that the breasts conceal.

Both Muslim man and Muslim woman are responsible how they are serving to Allah and how they are representing Islam. One can not blame only man, neither only woman, as they both are equaly responsable and should be threated like that.

Here is also important to mention the need of Tawbah (Repentance). No sin should be magnified so much that it creates despair and loss of hope in the forgiveness of Allah (SWT) nor should it be treated so lightly that there is no tawbah nor any regret. Look at the Mercy of the Being Who is most Merciful of those who show mercy. A person continuously commits a sin and as soon as he repents he is forgiven and he becomes the beloved of Allah (SWT).

It is reported in the Hadeeth that Rasulillah (SAW) said: "The person who repents from sin is the beloved of Allah and he becomes like those who have not committed any sin." (Ibne Majah)

However, it is necessary that the tawbah be a sincere one. Sincere tawbah consists of three essential parts.

Firstly, a person should feel ashamed of the sin he committed. It has been mentioned in the hadeeth: "To feel ashamed is tawbah."

Secondly, to immediately discard the sin committed and to resolve on abstaining from it in future.

Thirdly, to make amends, to compensate for the sin. If a person makes tawbah in this manner he becomes a favourite of Allah (SWT) despite the type or number of sins he committed.

May Allah guide us all to the right path. Ameen summa ameen

Assalamu allaicum wa rahamtullah wa barakatuhu

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

In rereading the original post it became evident to me that this has nothing to do with women.

The dead old man..had renounced the world. We as Muslims are not forbidden from the world. We partake of what has been made halal to us, and we are grateful.
He forgot that one of the halal pleasures of the world for men are wives. Our Prophet, may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him, loved women.

The title misrepresents the purpose of the thread. The woman presented no fitna. The man was unable to free himself from himself.

Allah subhana talla tells us what is good and what is not. When we renounce that which is normal and healthy..we open the doors to something we are not ready to encounter.

Aisya al-Humaira

الحمدلله على كل حال
Assalamualaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,

While it is the man that is responsible for his own actions rather than having to blame the woman due to his uncontrollable temptations towards her, there have been stories from the past where people practiced az-zuhd.

There were people of waliyullah that did renounced from the world as their love and i'baadah to Allaah were that to a very tremendous extent. However, the Prophet sallallahu a'lahi wa salam taught us that we should do that of what he did and never become among the extreme such as not marrying, fasting all day and praying all the time as those who are against it are against his Sunnah.

Wa'alaykummusalam wa rahmatullah.

aisha16

Hmm I really don't like these sort of things. How is it the woman's fault for a man's tempations? I don't get it. I honestly don't...

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member

Perhaps the title should be 'Fear the fitnah of not lowering the gaze'.

But I have to share a thought based on my observation. This is the only thread of his that has generated so many responses, eventhough most of the thread starter's threads are wonderful and beneficial, often times containing stories of the Salaf. May Allah subhaanaho waa taala bless this brother with good in this life and hereafter. Ameen.

And how many have thanked him for his time and effort on this post ? Less than half.

The reason why this thread generates so much attention is because some posters feel that women has been blamed for the incident by the thread title, eventhough it is clear in the post that the woman wasn't held accountable (or is the blameworthy party) and actually ends up with the gift of Islam in her life. The post is a good reminder for the men who should fear the fitnah of getting swayed away by 'shahwat', in this case looking at an attractive lady. Yet most of us were consumed in typing lengthy response on how the women is always blamed etc etc.

Also let me remind you that the husband has a 'fitnah of wife and children' also. This doesn't mean that wife and children are blameworthy or seen in negative light. Rather the husband is made wary of the fitan that he may succumb to, which is in turn reflecting a *weak point* of his character and/or personal behaviour.

I would like to end by venting about something else (which I myself am often guilty of), since I am posting on a related topic. There are many wonderful threads that share beautiful links of books, articles' lectures posted by our kind brothers and sisters. Most of those threads go unnoticed often without a single 'JazakAllahu Khayran' or 'BarakAllahe feek', while we are busy refuting/correcting one another on topics that require a single post from Islamqa.

I think this is a poor reflection of ourselves not being occupied with gaining knowledge and not utilizing the resources on this wonderful webportal, which is why we registered on this site in the first place.

May Allah subhaanaho waa taala help us and guide us. Ameen

Asja

Pearl of Islaam

I think this is a poor reflection of ourselves not being occupied with gaining knowledge and not utilizing the resources on this wonderful webportal, which is why we registered on this site in the first place.

May Allah subhaanaho waa taala help us and guide us. Ameen

Wa allaicumu Sallam wa rahamtullah wa barakatuhu

Correcting others mistake for the sake of Allah and for the sake of good is also gaining the knowledge, and the mistake which has been made in this thread starting from the title is not insignificant becouse if it is not well explained it can lead to many misunderstandings later and to not seeing the things in the light of the truth.

Also let me remind you that the husband has a 'fitnah of wife and children' also. This doesn't mean that wife and children are blameworthy or seen in negative light.

Yes, and it also should be said that wife can also find herselfe in the same situation like the husband, what does not mean husband is to blame or to be seen in negative light :astag:

May Allah guide us all to the right path. Ameen

Assalamu allaicum wa rahamtullah wa barakatuhu

arzafar

the lesson in the story is sound and pertinent for men. However, the title isnt suitable. A similar thread could be made for women reading "fear the fitna of men" and a similar story might be narrated. However, such sensational titles do more harm then good imo. The worldly life is itself a fitna (trial), however, we must bear it with patience.

yes there have been plenty of good threads from authenticbase recently. However, when there is a good thread, it doesnt mean we all have to reply with :jazaak:
it doesnt add value to the thread.

also some people have visited the authenticate blog on wordpress and read some of the stories directly from there. :SMILY259:

Abdul25

Logical Believer
the lesson in the story is sound and pertinent for men. However, the title isnt suitable. A similar thread could be made for women reading "fear the fitna of men" and a similar story might be narrated. However, such sensational titles do more harm then good imo. The worldly life is itself a fitna (trial), however, we must bear it with patience.

yes there have been plenty of good threads from authenticbase recently. However, when there is a good thread, it doesnt mean we all have to reply with :jazaak:
it doesnt add value to the thread.

also some people have visited the authenticate blog on wordpress and read some of the stories directly from there. :SMILY259:

i like your reply..
:D

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member

:wasalam:

The sad part is that we are engrossed in the 'thread title' and feel so insecure that we have to come out and defend the women folk, eventhough we know how Islam elevates the status of women. Had the title been less provocative (though it really isn't) in the minds of the members who have posted, the number of posts would be close to zero.

Have we forgotten about this hadeeth from Saheeh Bukhaari ?

“I am not leaving behind me in my ummah any fitnah that is more harmful for men than women. "

So, is this thread title really that inappropriate ?

BarakAllahu Feek for reminding me about the blog. I didn't think about it while I was replying to this thread.