For those living in America..:)

Libinette

Umm Zubayr
Assalam aleikum..

This thread is for brothers and sisters..living in America..

Do you all have the *Oh my gosh* accent!?
You knowthe american accent, i don't think i need to explain further..:D

-maybe i should make a poll for it :p

dianek

Assalam aleikum..

I shurrrrrrr doooo..........totally! I am from the South ya'll, wud ya xpect?

Seriously though, what do you mean the "American Accent"?

dianek

You know the American slang.....

What slang do you mean? Uneducated redneck slang from West VA or Louisiana? Northern aristocrat highly snooty slang (Martha Stewart)? Pennsylvania Dutch slang? Amish slang? Gangst slang? Fargo North Dakota slang? California slang? My point is there is no "American Slang" because we are so very diverse!

TheKnowledgeSeeker

A Believer In Heart
What slang do you mean? Uneducated redneck slang from West VA or Louisiana? Northern aristocrat highly snooty slang (Martha Stewart)? Pennsylvania Dutch slang? Amish slang? Gangst slang? Fargo North Dakota slang? California slang? My point is there is no "American Slang" because we are so very diverse!

I agree with sis Dianek here, there real is not American slang... but i think you mean the street slang and they are not American Slang but street talk just like every country in the world where the teens decided to make up their own language.

isabelelsherif

i think what she means by accent is the different way we speak for the different accents from NY, Boston, the south etc

but we all speak the same language its just the way we pronounce the words

hope this helps
:muslim_child:

dianek

Regional accents do not apply to America as a whole. So I was just looking for her to clarify her question. Like in Louisiana......it is french creole accent....I mean we are so very DIVERSE here. In Dearborn MI, you could say that Arabic was the accent as that area is so densly populated by immigrants.......

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

I speak with an English accent ..go figure..my oldest son has a DC area tone and somehow ...my youngest son has the Southern drawl...I mean a southern drawl...every word becomes two syllabes automatically and there is always the transposition of the pronoun.eg: I'm gonna get me a soda.
We don't use like..we have a know what i mean..thing going.
I have been told this is the closest thing to real English. Well, thats what Im taking about..gotta go..catch you later with a wat up!

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
Assalam aleikum..

Assalamu Alaikum

well I live in Nebraska..we have the standard mid-western accent that you hear in movies and on tv (in general)..if you move to smaaaaaaller towns here you hear that redneck accent (i.e. think Larry the Cable Guy accent)..that you can't even understand half of the time

so yes I have that (the standard mid-western accent)...

did you mean this when you said the "accent" though?..like..the T sounding like an R..like berrer (better) and warrer (water) and sturrer (stutter)..the strong L..and rolled R???

I do talk like that..but..what's weird (and funny) is..when I speak with my parents (who have a strong Arab accent in English) or any Arab in English..I put a slight accent on the words..so they'd understand me *berrer*..lol

and sister ajmal ehsas..I do the *like* thing sometimes too..especially if I'm around my people my age..if i'm somewhere more professional..I watch what I'm saying..I even try to stay away from the *um* and the *gonna* and *wanna* deal

Steve940

:salam2:

I have the ugly new jersey accent. That means its not water, its wutur, and we kind of mash some of our words together and join them. Like GONNA, WANNA, and many others that I can't think of right now.

But hey atleast its not a boston accent!

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member

I have the ugly new jersey accent. That means its not water, its wutur, and we kind of mash some of our words together and join them. Like GONNA, WANNA, and many others that I can't think of right now.

But hey atleast its not a boston accent!

LOL @ *at least its not a boston accent*

justmuslim

Asalamu alaykum y'all,

this is so funny I never know that American have an accent I know every state has there own lil words but over all no i guess... my sister used to say tht British has very nice accent and now i kinna like it tho... so we need those of u have British accent to tell us yours. adn by the way i'm in the midwest.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

Steve try an explain to someone how the Bostonians would say : Park the car...that is enough to make anyone want to move to the loving and slow south!