garment above ankle issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

ansari

STRANGER...
:salam2:

there is a hadith

reported by Abu Hurairah RA that the Prophet SAW said:
"Whatever flows of trousers below the ankles will be in the Hell fire." (Bukhari)

i dont see anyone following this...wat if we are wearing socks and our shoes cover our ankles...then also our pant must be above the ankle????

or this hadith mean that ur garment should not touch the ground ?

jazakallah khair

opaline

where did you get this hadith from brother/sister? maybe if we understood its context we'd understand it better because it seems kind of strange...im assuming the prophet was trying to encourage a tidy dress sense were people should step on their extra long garments and drag them on the floor,making hem dirty...but allah knows best.

Shahzad

well, all that garment, which is coming from top shud be always above the ankles for men. Since socks are worn from below, they dont come in it.

Even if we wear socks, we shud keep our ankles open.

Women must always keep garment below their ankle

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic

Many ahaadeeth were reported from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) which forbid isbaal (wearing one’s clothes below the ankles), for example:

Al-Bukhaari reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:

"Whatever of the izaar (lower garment) is below the ankles is in the Fire." (al-Bukhaari, no. 5787)

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:

"There are three whom Allaah will not look at or praise on the Day of Judgement and theirs will be a painful punishment: the one who wears his garment below his ankles, the one who reminds others of his favours, and the one who sells his product by means of making false oaths" (reported by Muslim, no. 106)

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:

"Isbaal (wearing one’s garment below the ankles) may apply to the izaar (lower garment), the shirt or the turban. Whoever allows any part of these to trail on the ground out of arrogance, Allaah will not look at him on the Day of Judgement." (reported by Abu Dawud, no. 4085, and al-Nisaa’i, no. 5334, with a saheeh isnaad).

Ibn ‘Abbaas reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:

"Allaah will not look at the one who wears his lower garment below his ankles." (Reported by al-Nisaa’i in al-Mujtabaa, Kitaab al-Zeenah, Baab Isbaal al-Izaar).

Hudhayfah said: "The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) took hold of the muscle of my calf (or his calf) and said,

‘This is where the izaar should stop; if you insist, it may be lower, but it should not reach the ankles.’" (Reported by al-Tirmidhi, who said this is a saheeh hasan hadeeth; see Sunan al-Tirmidhi, no. 1783)

All of the ahaadeeth quoted above speak against isbaal, whether or not the intention is to show off; but if a person does this deliberately out of arrogance, there is no doubt that his sin is greater. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:

"Allaah will not look at the one who trails his izaar on the ground out of pride." (al-Bukhaari, no. 5788)

Jaabir ibn Sulaym said: "The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said to me:

‘Beware of wearing one’s lower garment below the ankles, because this is a kind of showing-off, and Allaah does not love showing-off.’" (Regarded as saheeh by al-Tirmidhi, no. 2722).

No one is able to be completely free of pride and arrogance, even if he claims that this is so. Such a claim is unacceptable, because by saying it, he is praising himself. Only in the case of those whom the wahy (revelation) testified that they were free of pride do we believe that this is the case. For example, there is a hadeeth which states that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:

"Whoever trails his garment on the ground out of pride, Allaah will not look at him on the Day of Resurrection." Abu Bakr said to him, "O Messenger of Allaah, my izaar slips down if I do not pay attention to it." He said: "You are not one of those who do it out of pride." (Reported by al-Bukhaari, no. 5784)

What indicates that isbaal is prohibited even if it is not done out of pride is the hadeeth of Abu Sa’eed al-Khudri, may Allaah be pleased with him, who said: "The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:

‘The lower garment of the Muslim should come down to mid-calf, but there is nothing wrong if it is between that point and the ankles. Whatever is lower than the ankles is in the Fire. Whoever trails his garment on the ground out of pride, Allaah will not look at him." (Reported by Abu Dawud, no. 4093, with a saheeh isnaad.)

These ahaadeeth describe two different deeds, for which there will be two different punishments:
Imaam Ahmad reported that Abd al-Rahmaan ibn Ya’qoob said: "I asked Abu Sa’eed: ‘Did you hear anything from the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) concerning the izaar (lower garment)?’ he said, ‘Yes, listen! ‘The izaar of the believer should come to mid-calf, although there is nothing wrong if it comes between there and the ankles, but whatever is lower than the ankles is in the Fire,’ and he said it three times."

Ibn ‘Umar said: "I passed by the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), and my izaar had slipped down. He said,

‘O ‘Abdullaah, pull up your izaar!’ so I pulled it up. He said, ‘More!’ so I pulled it up more, and always made sure it was pulled up properly after that." Some people asked, "To where did you pull it up?" He said, "To mid-calf length." (Reported by Muslim, no. 2086; al-Dhahabi, Kitaab al-Kabaa’ir, 131-132)

The issue of isbaal applies to women just as much as it applies to men. This is indicated by the hadeeth of Ibn ‘Umar, may Allaah be pleased with him, who said: "The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:

‘Whoever trails his garment on the ground out of pride, Allaah will not look at him.’ Umm Salamah said: ‘O Messenger of Allaah, what should women do with their hems?’ He said, ‘Let them go down a handspan.’ She asked, ‘What if their feet show?’ He said, ‘Let them lengthen it by a cubit, but no more.’" (al-Nisaa'i, Kitaab al-zeenah, Baab dhuyool al-nisaa’).

The punishment for showing off may come to pass in this world, not in the Hereafter. Abu Hurayrah reported that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:

"Whilst a man was walking arrogantly admiring himself and his clothes, Allaah caused the earth to swallow him and he is suffering in it until the Day of Resurrection." (Reported by Muslim, no. 2088).

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

opaline

why do you think there is such strong emphasis and caution about garments above or below the ankle,brother/sister? sorry i like to fully understand the reasons or background for things in our religion so if there is a story for when the rule was first given or why it was issued please share...as im fearing for myself i have different length jeans but i dont intend it out of arrogance and god knows...eeeek! god forgive us all.

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
why do you think there is such strong emphasis and caution about garments above or below the ankle,brother/sister? sorry i like to fully understand the reasons or background for things in our religion so if there is a story for when the rule was first given or why it was issued please share...as im fearing for myself i have different length jeans but i dont intend it out of arrogance and god knows...eeeek! god forgive us all.

Imam Nawawi and Imam ibn Hajar asqalani was with the opinion haram to do it when you are arrogant...

But im with the opnion of need to go isbal

Southrn_Muslimah

bnqɯnɥ 'ɥɐq

Just think brothers you don't have to worry about your garment touching the bathroom floor when you enter and getting those icky germs :) I usually have to lift my abaya some because I have this thing against germs.

Also can anyone provide info about garments touching the bathroom floor as breaking wudo?

:wasalam:

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)

Also can anyone provide info about garments touching the bathroom floor as breaking wudo?

Never heard of it . or you mean it becomes stain with najasa or najis or impurities, The general rule is doubt cannot replace what you confirm.
i hope you get the message....

Southrn_Muslimah

bnqɯnɥ 'ɥɐq
Never heard of it . or you mean it becomes stain with najasa or najis or impurities, The general rule is doubt cannot replace what you confirm.
i hope you get the message....

Hmm that isn't it. Over Ramadaan my Imam had some issues about men letting their pants and bare feet touch the ground of the bathroom saying something to effect that it was wrong.

Shahzad

well muslimah.. if the floor has impurity on it and ur pants get impurity or ur feet get them, they will become impure as well.

Why any one would go to wash room bare footed? yuck!

Brother kathiri is very right abt this
"The general rule is doubt cannot replace what you confirm."

Southrn_Muslimah

bnqɯnɥ 'ɥɐq
well muslimah.. if the floor has impurity on it and ur pants get impurity or ur feet get them, they will become impure as well.

Why any one would go to wash room bare footed? yuck!

Brother kathiri is very right abt this
"The general rule is doubt cannot replace what you confirm."

I don't know akhi the whole barefoot thing disturbs me but I do not want to become the barefoot police! haha

Shahzad

yeah dont be a barefoot police instead a covered footed police :)

Always go to washroom widh head covered and keep a seperate pair of sleepers for washroom.

this is sunnat of our beloved Prophet (SAW).

He (SAW) also used to keeep a seperate piece of cloth for wash room.

q8penpals

Salam

I don't know the answer about the rulings as to why men's clothes should be above the ankle, but I DO know that the religious police in Saudi reprimanded my husband when we were there because his robe was too long (in their eyes).

Lana

Shahzad

its the way of our beloved Nabi (SAW)

The footsteps of Nabi (SAW) are the path way to jannah
The make u meet wid ALLAH.

maryam2k7

maryam

there is a hadith

reported by Abu Hurairah RA that the Prophet SAW said:
"Whatever flows of trousers below the ankles will be in the Hell fire." (Bukhari)

i dont see anyone following this...wat if we are wearing socks and our shoes cover our ankles...then also our pant must be above the ankle????

or this hadith mean that ur garment should not touch the ground ?

jazakallah khair

salaam
havent actualli ever looked this up but ma dad wears his trousers above his ankle saying its sunnah
i get called a wabhi (wateva tht is) for it lol

gazkour

assalamo alikom

According to the information given here, I understood that the issue of not covering the ankles should be applied for both man and women. Is that right? please help. Thanks

opaline

ok this is the only way this whole rule is making sense to me:

in the prophet's (pbuh) time clothing's length was a popularised sign of a man's wealth..as someone who was poor couldnt afford to buy more material and cover him/herself up..nowadays as long as you dont drag it around and look like a complete mess i dont THINK it should be a problem but i am in no position to give away my own fatwa...but otherwise i am veeeeery confused about why our most knowledgable and wise religion would be so nitty-gritty about such a thing...nowadays wealth is shown off in other ways so im GUESSING thats what it means..im guessing and i hope so because frankly (god forgive me if i am sounding blasphemous) i dont understand the justice in taking someone to hell because of a cubit-'s length of garment or an inch of their garment's length,such things seem minisqule to our might god..well what about if we sit down? material stretches and expands..im gonna research this hadith in arabic and ask the mosque sheikh :girl3:

Shahzad

ALLAH says in Quraan " Indeed we have made a beautiful example for u in Nabi (SAW)"

We shud be the follower of Nabi(SAW) not our wisdom

Status
Not open for further replies.