Halal debate in America

JD19

Some Muslims only eat at places that state "Halal" while others eat anywhere since they believe all good food has been made lawful for us and we can eat from the People of the Book.

Whats your take on this hotly debated subject.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Whenever I go to the cities I eat in Halah places.

I ask the waitress how they cook the vegatables in many of the chain resturants. I make sure no bacon flavoring has been added to the greens. It is almost impossible to eat breakfast out.
I bake from scratch because many of the pie crusts are made with lard...you get my drift.
Besides...I will always support Muslim business.

Ashima33

Salaam,

There is a difference between Halaal and Zabiha. I think we know what is halaal, pretty much everything except roadkill, pork, and alcohol to put it simply. Everything else is Halaal meat, but Zabiha targets specifically how the animal was slaughtered and if "bismillah" was said.

Just because a market says it is "halaal" doesn't necessarily mean it is Zabiha. And even so, it is SO difficult to regulate and monitor. Just because a place "says so" so don't really know for sure how the slaughter process was done. Maybe is was done in accordance, but the chickens were raised in harsh environments just like the ones at Tyson and other horrible farms. I don't feel ok eating this.

Personally, I hardly ever eat meat because it's such a difficult thing to do ethically/islamically unless you slaughter the meat yourself, or have a trusted friend. If I go to someone's house, I will eat whatever they provide. If I end up buying meat for myself, I eat organic free range and state "Bismillah" before I eat. This is me doing the best I know how given the conditions.

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
Some Muslims only eat at places that state "Halal" while others eat anywhere since they believe all good food has been made lawful for us and we can eat from the People of the Book.

:salam2:,

bro, did u see tht u said *people of the book*? but those christians who dont believe in God are not from people of the book. and those polytheists like hindus and buddhists who work in their slaughter houses are not people of the book.

so we have to be careful in food. very careful!

JD19

I agree and I see both sides of the debate.

For the most part, the Quran states not to eat anything if other than Allah was recited over it. Most slaughter houses in America do not recite anything over the meat so in one sides case, I see where they are coming from where they feel they can eat it and say "Bismillah" over the meat before they bite into it.

On the other hand, the animal wasnt slaughtered Islamically so I see why the other side would only eat it if they are told its Halal... but then the debate over if its actually Zabihah comes into play.

Its a confusing choice. I for the most part only go to Halal places.. many of them are Arab - but many Arabs here in America call it Halal, although it isnt Zabihah. So you just have to take their word for it.

AdamMuslim

Salam Alikom,

This is a real issue for me too.
I used to live in France but where I live now there is not Halal restaurant and there is only one Turkish butcher but honestly I did not like his meat (not fresh).

Then, you will be surprised but I did not eat meat for months now. I only eat fish. Even when I go out with friend I only order fish. I have to confess that it is difficult and I have even lost few pounds.

Lately I have heard Sheikh Karadawoui in Al jazeera channel saying that you can eat meat of people of the book, which is true, but I do not think he is fully aware how these people really slaughter animals. That is why I have decided to stick with the fish menu. :)

Wassalam

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

It is good to see you posting again.

This is a similar post on TTI...I briefly researched some of the methods. Yuck.

I know there are halah butchers who travel up and down the road and deliver meat. The meat is very expensive.

alf2

Islam is a way of life
Okay, if you eat meat, I would only eat: Halal meet, Kosher meat, ORGANIC meat.

in Islam, we kill the animal in such a way, that it feels minimal pain.
NEVER eat meat from Christians, because that animal was probably slaughtered while still alive.

To be honest, I cant even talk about this. I'm a vegetarian and the way Americans produce meat is INHUMANE. It makes me sick just thinking about it.
GOD WILLING, they will be forced to answer to their actions in the hereafter....