Haram or Halal??

Hannah123

One Truth
Assalaam Alaikum brothers and sisters,
I come to you all again for advice being ur newly reverted sister, there is much to learn. I work as a barista in a cafe, does anyone know of anything against this? I just want to make sure i'm living the best Muslim life Allah wills. Alhamdulillah that i've been guided to Islam. From the depths of christianity to the heights of Islam. Masha'Allah. Jazak'Allah in advance.
Sister Hannah

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
As Salaamu Alaykum
I've heard that it is Haraam to help others do Haraam things (knowingly). If this is true (which I believe it is), then it's best that you stop being a barista.

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic
Assalamu alaikum Sister Hannah,

I ask Allah to make you successful in doing what He SWT accepts, and to keep you away from what He has forbidden.

May I ask, what do you serve? Based on the answer, I think it will be clear if it is forbidden or not (for you to keep that job).

BintMuhammad

Staff member
Assalamu alaikum sis,

A Barista would be a person who works at the counter of a coffee shop right? I don't see anything wrong with coffee unless it is mixed with alcoholic drink. If you are able to wear your hijaab right at work then I think that would be fine. But if you could find other jobs that would less expose yourself to non-mahram men then that would be better for you Insha Allaah. Also, it's better to ask a scholar about this. Goodluck ukhti!

amyaishazouaoui

Coffee i not haraam....... lol u can drink as much as you like, and tea and water and orange juice.
Watch the caffine high tho!!!!!
I fall on da floor if i drink too much cherry coke, never happened before!!!!
:)
lol

Globalpeace

Banned
Asslamo Allaikum Sister,

I was in London around New Year & for the 1st time in my life went into Star Bucks Café which is directly across Kings Cross Station and almost entire staff are Muslim Sisters (all wear Hijab) including the Manager.

I am not a Coffee fan but got hungry early in the morning so had to munch and was shocked to find the whole staff being Muslim sisters all in Hijab.

Back to the subject at hand, I think you need to clearly define as to what your job role is & then a Muslim scholar can give you an answer pertaining to your situation.

On a lighter note you can always move to London & work at Star Bucks Café; that way you can be with Muslim Sisters (wearing Hijab and stuff) and still have a job similar to what you are doing now.

:) :) :)

Hannah123

One Truth
:salam2:
Thanks all for ur responses. Yes i work at a coffee shop and serve non-alcoholic coffee, it's connected to a Borders bookstore though. I wear islamic dress and am working on the hijab...maybe i'll just move to England. lol. Insha'Allah i will find out if this is okay or not.
:wasalam:

American Muslim

Just Another Slave
If coffee is haram, I have a real problem. And yeah, Global, you're probably right about the "real English" thing. But you guys have some really strange slang. When I was in the army (about a million years ago), I was in a school in England when a Brit soldier asked me if I "fancied a ciagarette" . But he didn't say cigarette.
Means something else entirely over here, lol. That fight probably could have been avoided, but I was young and stupid.

Dawoodi

salam walaikum

As Salaamu Alaykum
I've heard that it is Haraam to help others do Haraam things (knowingly). If this is true (which I believe it is), then it's best that you stop being a barista.

brother NEw Muslim, to be a barista means to work behind a counter and prepare drinks...not nesesarily alcohol lol. could be a coffe shop

thats a bartender the one who serves alcoholic drinks.

salam walaikum.