Harry Potter and Islam

ProudToBeaMuslim

I found this article on the web:

Harry Who?
An Islamic Analysis of the Harry Potter Phenomenon
By Um Noah

Magic is an old human practice. It is sometimes defined as deception by showing something to an audience, which is contrary to reality. Magic is listed as the third major sin after Shirk and Murder, according to Adh-Dhahabi in his book 'Al-Kaba'ir' The Major Sins.

In the light of the above definition, Islam considers magic to be an act of blasphemy. Allah says:

They followed what the Shayâtin (devils) gave out (falsely of the magic) in the lifetime of Sulaimân (Solomon). Sulaimân did not disbelieve, but the Shayâtin (devils) disbelieved, teaching men magic and such things that came down at Babylon to the two angels, Hârût and Mârût, but neither of these two (angels) taught anyone (such things) till they had said, "We are only for trial, so disbelieve not (by learning this magic from us)." And from these (angels) people learn that by which they cause separation between man and his wife, but they could not thus harm anyone except by Allâh's Leave. And they learn that which harms them and profits them not. And indeed they knew that the buyers of it (magic) would have no share in the Hereafter. And how bad indeed was that for which they sold their own selves, if they but knew. (Qur'an 2:102)

In my quest to get a better understanding of those that read or watch things related to magic, I was quite surprised to find more Christians addressing this issue than Muslims. In fact I couldn't find one article regarding this issue. And with the recent release of the Harry Potter film, I'm even more driven to find a clear answer. Oh, I've heard the argument: "Harry Potter is wonderful, it encourages kids to read!"

Certainly, reading is important. Allah says:

Read! In the Name of your Lord, Who has created (all that exists)
Has created man from a clot (a piece of thick coagulated blood).
Read! And your Lord is the Most Generous,
Who has taught (the writing) by the pen.
(Qur'an 96 1-4)

But do you really think that Harry Potter is the kind of reading Allah had in mind?

The Prophet tells us that witchcraft, sorcery, and magic are evil. He (peace be upon him) said, "There are three who will not enter paradise: one who is addicted to wine, one who breaks ties of relationship, and one who believes in magic." (Ahmad)

And Allah's Apostle said, "Avoid the Mubiqat, i.e., shirk and witchcraft." (Bukhari)

Imaginary (or virtual) experiences and well-written fantasies can affect the mind and memories as much, if not more, than actual experiences. Designed to stir feelings and produce strong emotional responses, a well-planned myth with likeable characters can be far more memorable than the less exciting daily reality, especially when reinforced through books, toys and games as well as movies. It is no wonder Harry Potter fans have been counting the days to see the sorcery, magic, potions and spells.

Our children need good, moral characters to identify with. When they have been accustomed to reading and now seeing this fantasy we must ask ourselves as their protectors and educators if these are the types of role models we want for them.

Allah says:

O you who believe! Ward off from yourselves and your families a Fire (Hell) whose fuel is men and stones, over which are (appointed) angels stern (and) severe, who disobey not, (from executing) the Commands they receive from Allâh, but do that which they are commanded. (Qur'an 66:6)

Allah reminds us of our short existence in this life and the need to choose good over evil:

The life of this world is but play and pastime, but if you believe (in the Oneness of Allâh Islâmic Monotheism), and fear Allâh, and avoid evil, He will grant you your wages, and will not ask you your wealth. (Qur'an 47:36)

By overexposing our children to the Harry Potter kind of material we run the risk that they may lose their natural aversion for the devious spirits represented by the creatures and symbols in these stories. Caught up in the exciting story, they absorb the suggested values and store the fascinating images in their minds, making the forbidden world of the occult seem more normal.

Fun fantasies and strategic entertainment have a special way of altering values, compromising beliefs and changing behavior in adults as well as in children. This learning process has been named "edutainment" a favored way to educate and entertain at the same time, for example Sesame Street. Its power to influence beliefs and behavior is illustrated by today's marketing firms; which spend billions on entertaining ads that touch emotions, ignore the facts, and yet motivate people to buy the product.

This Harry Potter 'ideology' is a good example. It comes complete with trading cards, computer and other wizardly games, clothes, action figures and cuddly dolls as well as audio cassettes that could keep the child's minds focused on the occult all day and into night. What's next, a Ouiji Board?

Teach your children Allah's Truths and train them to see reality through the teachings of Allah and His Prophet (peace be upon him) and not through the world's perspective. To succeed, we must be ever-conscious of their surroundings. Is it possible to shield them from contrary values, I'm sure it's not, however it is possible to offer them clear understandings of these things in light of the Qur'an and Sunnah. Once they have learned to love what Allah loves and hate what Allah hates, and to see life from His Words, they will demonstrate their wisdom by choosing to say "no" to Harry Potter and the like.

All right, so you've finished reading this editorial and you see things differently. All this time you've allowed your kids to read and view material related to magic, what do you do now to stop it?

Every family is different and therefore our approach to this matter will differ. You may need to cut it out completely and sit with your children to explain the situation in detail. We can only be accountable for what we know and our intentional acts. Being a Muslim means always learning. We are always growing and changing our views in order to meet the needs of our Faith at any age.

May Allah guide me and forgive me for anything that was said unintentionally, and in any respect not in accordance with Allah and His teachings. He is The All-Knower, and The Merciful.

rightpath_357

shouldnt it be okay to read it and watch the movies? but , like all books and pograms, we shouldn't -espcailly kids- get over-the-top with it, with cards, games, etc,etc,etc

BigAk

My six year old kid recognizes that all this stuff is merely "make belief," and strictly for entertainment purposes. Under this light, I am not worried if he watches Harry Potter, Spider Man, etc... He's going to hear about all this stuff at school anyway from all the kids... If we're going to live within the western world, we should make special effort to educate our kids rather than isolating them behind walls and risking the chance of them feeling like society "outcasts" among their peers. It's a fine line we're riding on here. Parents need to use wisdom and intelligence rather than actions that may prove counter productive and regretful in the long run... and Allah knows best...

I ask Allah to guide us to taking the right actions... Ameen.

ProudToBeaMuslim

shouldnt it be okay to read it and watch the movies? but , like all books and pograms, we shouldn't -espcailly kids- get over-the-top with it, with cards, games, etc,etc,etc

:salam2:
I don't know if there is legislation given by any of the scholars based on Hadith regarding the Harry Potter part.
But what we do know is that there are numerous hadith and verses forbidding magic and speaking of it's evil.

Islam forbids engaging in idle things. It encourages us to do things which are beneficial. There is a sunnah of the Prophet that states that it is better to keep Quiet than to say something of no benefit at all. Keeping in mind these teachings, that encourages us to not do any wasteful thing, try to think about Harry Potter.
Reading those huge volumes of complete fantasy, based on a world of magic, ( magic=forbidden and denounced by Islam), will not only be a waste of time by engaging in something completely idle, but may also(Alllah only knows) be heavy on the sin scale.

Let me tell you something about Harry Potter and it's negative effects from personal experience.
I was sort of an avid Harry Potter reader, It was a fascinating world for me and I kind of became addicted to it(By constantly thinking about it and daydreaming).
After sometime, I realized that there is definitely a conflict between Islam and these books because whenever I was in the middle of reading one of the books, My Salah would be fruitless and I would feel extreme guilt simply. These are symptoms of comitting sin, these symptoms came out unconsciously though.
When I thought about it, I came to the conclusion that there is definitely something negative about the books, infact, it has many negative aspects to it. (as evident from the earlier post)

It's like music, or as if the book itself was having a magical effect, encouraging you to fanatsize and constantly think about it.

Anyhow, Alhamdulillah, I am HP crazy- free now.

Sister, let me tell you one thing that is definite, the Harry potter Books can in no way benefit you, and even if you are somehow able to control your addiction, the process of reading it is an idle task, not encouraged by Islam.
Salaamalikum dear Sis.

ProudToBeaMuslim

My six year old kid recognizes that all this stuff is merely "make belief," and strictly for entertainment purposes. Under this light, I am not worried if he watches Harry Potter, Spider Man, etc... He's going to hear about all this stuff at school anyway from all the kids... If we're going to live within the western world, we should make special effort to educate our kids rather than isolating them behind walls and risking the chance of them feeling like society "outcasts" among their peers. It's a fine line we're riding on here. Parents need to use wisdom and intelligence rather than actions that may prove counter productive and regretful in the long run... and Allah knows best...

I ask Allah to guide us to taking the right actions... Ameen.

You are absolutely right. But the thing is, kids will eventually grow out of this stuff and move on. I feel that the problem here arises when teens or adults capable of thinking for themselves, starts reading the books. The actual process of reading the books may or may not be sinful (Allah only knows), but it requires high presence of mind and consciousness to not be effected in an emotional/addictive way by it. (Refer to my earlier post and tell me your opinion)

MahyarEL-Prince

Studying Islam...
You are absolutely right. But the thing is, kids will eventually grow out of this stuff and move on. I feel that the problem here arises when teens or adults capable of thinking for themselves, starts reading the books. The actual process of reading the books may or may not be sinful (Allah only knows), but it requires high presence of mind and consciousness to not be effected in an emotional/addictive way by it. (Refer to my earlier post and tell me your opinion)

Assalam sister, yes this what you say is indeed correct. The thing is, people may know that yeah harry potter isn't real and it's just a movie. (this is regarding kids mostly) But the movies do leave something behind in your mind.
I myself really despise watching the television except for when it comes to sports, I really enjoy watching it. When it comes to movies... I just can't bare it sometimes only because I know it's all fake and it's not leaving anything positve in my mind (atleast most the movies on T.V. do this)
But as for reading the books, they put you in a different mode, esspecially since the fact that you must fantasize about what you read, it stays in your head. Alhamdulillah ta'ala I only read the Quran, I don't even enjoy reading books because everything seems haram to me, and even if it's not haram it sure isn't allowing me to fantasize about anything lawful thats for sure. Allah knows best though. Sorry if my reply did not benifit and sorry if I hurt anyones feelings please feel free to correct anything I have said and
Assalamu alaykum brothers and sisters.

sister herb

Official TTI Chef

Why so many people makes this so difficult issue for them. It is just only story for kids, thats all. Adults surely explain to them it is not true as people really can´t fly by brooms etc. nonsense.

ProudToBeaMuslim

Why so many people makes this so difficult issue for them. It is just only story for kids, thats all. Adults surely explain to them it is not true as people really can´t fly by brooms etc. nonsense.

:salam2: sister,
I think none of the posters here (including myself) intended any difficulty for anyone regarding this issue.:) It is our duty as muslims to spread awareness, share and discuss such information.

You are absolutely right when you say that Adults can explain it to their Kids, and that's exactly what the article says. But sometimes, adults themselves are addicted.
We are eager to follow Allah's will in every aspect of our lives and may Allah guide us to the right way in this small issue also. Ameen.
JazakAllahu Khairan dear sis.

andi kumala dewi

We as a muslim should be careful in choosing a film, including films made by christians and jewish religious or other to save our religion. Sad to see people islam much love harry potter films including in my country, we should remind the family, friends and our other brother.

Abdul Kadir

Harry Potter

If anybody has any other information regarding this topic, please post it!!
Yeah, In my opinion Harry Potter story could damage our children aqidah if they believe and enjoy the story.
But what about watching it and analysing it
from Islamic side infront of the children ?
So it depends on the intention of reading and watching HP ?
For what ? and what about getting it as English subject ?