or is it the Sunnah?

Answer: Having more than one wife is the Sunnah if you have ability to do so
due to the saying of Allaah The most high:
{Then marry (other) women of your choice, two or three, or four but if
you fear that you shall not be able to deal justly (with them), then only
one or (the captives and the slaves) that your right hands possess. That
is nearer to prevent you from doing injustice.}
[Soorah an-Nisaa:3]
And also due to the action of the Prophet , he had altogether nine women and Allaah made it a means for the Ummah to have benefited from them.

This is from the distinguished characteristics of the Messenger , as for other than him then it is not allowed to combine more than four. As for having more than one wife then there are great benefits for men, women and all the Muslim Ummah.

Indeed what is achieved/beneficial for everyone, by having more than one
wife is lowering one’s gaze, protection for the private parts, increase in offspring, that a man can look after the benefits of a large number of women
and can defend them from causes of evil and deviances.
As for the one who is incapable of doing this and fears that he will not be
just between them, then he should suffice with one due to the saying of Allaah Subhaana:
{But if you fear that you shall not be able to deal justly (with them), then
only one.}
[Soorah an-Nisaa:3]

May Allaah give all the Muslims that which there is benefit for them in it,
and success for them in this world and the Hereafter. ♦♦♦

Taken From Majmoo’ Fatawaa of our
Shaykh, Allaama, Abdul Azeez bin Abdullaah
Bin Baaz
[al-Balaag magazine no.1028]
Translated by Abbas Abu Yahya

nounlu

Let me go ahead and quote a very important ayah about this which is usually left out.

You will never be able to deal justly between wives however much you
desire (to do so). But (if you have more than one wife) do not turn
altogether away (from one), leaving her in suspense..." (Qur'an 4:129)

This ayah clearly indicated that you can't be just with your wives and it is clear to me that more than one wife is not only not sunnah but it is something that shouldn't be practiced today. And I have also quoted one of my favorite ayah from Qur'an

(Qur'an 3:7) It is He Who has revealed the Book to you. Some of its verses are absolutely clear and lucid, and these are the core of the Book.5 Others are ambiguous.6 Those in whose hearts there is perversity, always go about the part which is ambiguous, seeking mischief and seeking to arrive at its meaning arbitrarily, although none knows their true meaning except Allah. On the contrary, those firmly rooted in knowledge say: 'We believe in it; it is all from our Lord alone.'7 No one derives true admonition from anything except the men of understanding.

I think the intention and the morals in this issue is very important. I think this is a huge test for mankind. If a man wants to have more than one wife so he would have multiple sex partners, I believe they have a severe punishment waiting for them. This right should only be practiced at extreme cases like post-wars for the purpose of take care of women in need. This is allowed to help women out, not men! We are in this world to satisfy ourselves, we are here to serve Allah. For the men who have multiple wives without the will of their wives are not doing a favor to none of his wives so it beats the purpose of helping. I would encourage anyone to think twice about this subject and remind all the sisters they don't have to marry some one who wants more.

May peace be with all of you.

Selam

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother
I found following hadith which maybe relevant to the topic of discussion:

Narrated by 'Urwa bin Az-Zubair:

That he had asked 'Aisha about the meaning of the Statement of Allah: "If you fear that you shall not Be able to deal justly With the orphan girls, then marry (Other) women of your choice Two or three or four." (4.3)
She said, "O my nephew! This is about the orphan girl who lives with her guardian and shares his property. Her wealth and beauty may tempt him to marry her without giving her an adequate Mahr (bridal-money) which might have been given by another suitor. So, such guardians were forbidden to marry such orphan girls unless they treated them justly and gave them the most suitable Mahr; otherwise they were ordered to marry any other woman." 'Aisha further said, "After that verse the people again asked the Prophet (about the marriage with orphan 'girls), so Allah revealed the following verses:-- 'They ask your instruction Concerning the women. Say: Allah Instructs you about them And about what is Recited unto you In the Book, concerning The orphan girls to whom You give not the prescribed portions and yet whom you Desire to marry..." (4.127)
What is meant by Allah's Saying:-- 'And about what is Recited unto you is the former verse which goes:-- 'If you fear that you shall not Be able to deal justly With the orphan girls, then marry (other) women of your choice.' (4.3) 'Aisha said, "Allah's saying in the other verse:--'Yet whom you desire to marry' (4.127) means the desire of the guardian to marry an orphan girl under his supervision when she has not much property or beauty (in which case he should treat her justly). The guardians were forbidden to marry their orphan girls possessing property and beauty without being just to them, as they generally refrain from marrying them (when they are neither beautiful nor wealthy)."

Source:

http://www.sahihalbukhari.com/sps/sbk/sahihalbukhari.cfm?scn=dsphadeeth&HadeethID=2336&txt=marry

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
Let me go ahead and quote a very important ayah about this which is usually left out.

You will never be able to deal justly between wives however much you
desire (to do so). But (if you have more than one wife) do not turn
altogether away (from one), leaving her in suspense..." (Qur'an 4:129)

This ayah clearly indicated that you can't be just with your wives and it is clear to me that more than one wife is not only not sunnah but it is something that shouldn't be practiced today. And I have also quoted one of my favorite ayah from Qur'an

Waalaykumsalam Warahmatullah

La Hawla Wala Quwatailla billah
Keep your opinions to yourself. Some muslim would have make takfeer of you...

Almeftah

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته

Marrying more than one is sunnah, BUT there are two main conditions for it:

1. Being able to provide for each wife.
2. Treating them and their children equaly.

Otherwise, It is not recommended for a man to marry more than one.. Unless it is necessary, and for good reasons, Like:

1. Unable to have children with first wife.
2. constantly weak, or sick wife, who cant pay the duties for her husband.
3. a bad wife whos always cursing and shouting, or doing bad things to others. who's unwilling to change and become better person. causing her husband to hate her and his marriage life.

some men do it for no reason, and its ok, as long as they'r able to fulfil the two conditions mentioned above.

Wa-Allah Aa'lam.

Imad

Salamoelaikoem warahmatullah Nounlu,

I have a question so please answer this question.

Lets say no one wants to mary you, only one person who has a wive and want you to be his second wife.

Do you want to mary him or stay alone your whole live ( without a husband or children)?

Think about this question and give me the answer insha Allah

Wassalamoelaikoem warahmatullahi wbarakatuh,

Imad