hijabs as cellphone holders?

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
:salam2:

i work in a heavily muslim populated city in new jersey. muslims are easily recognizable over there. i've been a little upset over something that i have been seeing amongst many of the sisters these days. i'm not sure if i should be upset about it or not. so, i'll be happy to know what the brothers and sisters here @ tti think. okay, here it goes. i see a lot of sisters that are wearing their hijabs properly, but are sticking their cellphones into the sides of their hijabs, and are using the hijabs as cellphone holders while talking on the phone. to me, i see this as a desecration of the hijab, especially when these women have both hands free. sometimes i am tempted to pull them over to the side and mention it to them. i haven't yet because i'm not sure if what they are doing is right or wrong.

Jihan

i don't think that's too bad its not somethin i would do. but something that bothers me is this one time this muslim girl ( who doesn't wear her hijab properly) was stealing candy bars from the store and i was like why are stealing when someone just offered to buy for you (she had a i steal because i can kind of attitude) and she was "well i would steal more if my hijab was bigger " (ie she would hide it under). that made me angry... i really just wanted to report her.. but thought better of it.

Mrmuslim

Smile you are @ TTI
Staff member

i work in a heavily muslim populated city in new jersey. muslims are easily recognizable over there. i've been a little upset over something that i have been seeing amongst many of the sisters these days. i'm not sure if i should be upset about it or not. so, i'll be happy to know what the brothers and sisters here @ tti think. okay, here it goes. i see a lot of sisters that are wearing their hijabs properly, but are sticking their cellphones into the sides of their hijabs, and are using the hijabs as cellphone holders while talking on the phone. to me, i see this as a desecration of the hijab, especially when these women have both hands free. sometimes i am tempted to pull them over to the side and mention it to them. i haven't yet because i'm not sure if what they are doing is right or wrong.

salaam alikom

I really dont see any dsecration of the Hijab if they sticking the cellphone in to the side ! whats wrong with it, # 2 we dont have to pay attention to details of what they doing with their hijab its not up to us. (Men)

Allah A3lem this my opinion.

don't think that's too bad its not somethin i would do. but something that bothers me is this one time this muslim girl ( who doesn't wear her hijab properly) was stealing candy bars from the store and i was like why are stealing when someone just offered to buy for you (she had a i steal because i can kind of attitude) and she was "well i would steal more if my hijab was bigger " (ie she would hide it under). that made me angry... i really just wanted to report her.. but thought better of it.

I think you should report her to the store owner, or you warn the sister that if you see her doing it again you will report it
Wrong is wrong either if she/he is Muslim or not Muslim. This called stealing just because she is Muslim dosnt mean we have to cover for her. Better start with advise and show her what she is doing is Haram its like she is eating haram things

wa salaam

wa salaam

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
i don't like it because it makes the hijab look like some kind of accessory. just my opinion. maybe a sister could give her input on the issue.

kayleigh

You stick your phone in your pocket, so why not your hijab? Its a modern age, and by doing that they're not revealing anything that the hijab covers, right? I think it sounds as though it may look a bit ridiculous, but I don't really think it's desecrating it.

Abdul Hasib

Student of Knowledge
Wow I'm from NJ (Paterson) too! :jumpclap:

You know those Blue Tooth things that people clip onto their ears like head phones? It's kinda cool considering that your blue tooth is a long distance from your mouth but you can still have a conversation! :D

samiha

---------
Staff member

what's a blue tooth? Sorry, i don't know :redface:

me and my mother were laughing sadly at this. First time we saw it was at the ISNA convention in Chicago. Some girl was having the phone stuck in there, standing up, balancing a laptop on one knee and pattering away. I disliked the idea, and then i saw it wasn't just her, others were doing it too!

I don't know. I just don't like it and personally wouldn't do it!

:wasalam:

Dogu_kizi

Well they can wear the headphones,like the ones CD player or mp3 has,this way I think it will be convenient and will be inside hijab,not so noticable, I mean if it`s so necessary, but I don`t like either if they use that blue tooth especially,when their hands are free,besides,blue tooth is harmfull for health & by Islam humans can not do or wear anything which causes harm...

Jihan

I think you should report her to the store owner, or you warn the sister that if you see her doing it again you will report it
Wrong is wrong either if she/he is Muslim or not Muslim. This called stealing just because she is Muslim dosnt mean we have to cover for her. Better start with advise and show her what she is doing is Haram its like she is eating haram things

wa salaam

wa salaam

you are correct but i wasn't 'covering' up for her but i just made sure to get away from her since we together and you know crime by association. well i figured with the way she was acting she was reporting herself she was stuffing her pocket like no one was around!

Wow I'm from NJ (Paterson) too! :jumpclap:

You know those Blue Tooth things that people clip onto their ears like head phones? It's kinda cool considering that your blue tooth is a long distance from your mouth but you can still have a conversation! :D

I find those Blue Tooth nanos kind of weird. It looks like somone is talking to themselves. I mean how lazy do these people want you to be. The phones are so light these days, it does not take that much effort.

Back in the day no one even had cell phones, yet pagers were very convenient. Nowadays, you have a single button in your car (cruise control) that almost feels like your playing a video game, automatic car starters...It's banannas. When you really think about it, technology is kind of scary. Maybe it's just me, because I'm kind of old school.

I don't see a problem with using your hijab as a cell phone holder, but then again it almost looks like the Blue Tooth nano. Give me an idea, maybe I should start using my beard to do tricks!

MuslimaSeattle

WHAT!!!

asalam alikum everyone. I am really confused here???????? Why is using an hajib as a cell holder annoying. I mean why does it irratates you? Subhanallah lol this a funny topic anywas i see nothing wrong with that, you know not everyone can afford those blue tooth handless

ShyHijabi

I don't so it but I don't see the problem with it. I can't tell you how many times I have crooked my neck to hold my phone while doing housework. Sometimes you just need your hands free so you can multitask.

I've heard of brothers wearing their shalwar kameez as pajamas bc they are so comfortable. Is this desecreting Islamic dress? I don't think so.

~Sarah

aseel

assalamu alaykum,
hope you are all well!!!

lol funny topic for sure! i must say i have to put my cell phone under my niqab if somebody calls and i`m shopping or something otherwise i can not hear very well through it and it makes the person on the other end of the line anry if i keep on asking them to repeat themselves or speak louder! but i`ve never tryed to hold it ther with my niqab it must be unconftable!

kayleigh

I don't so it but I don't see the problem with it. I can't tell you how many times I have crooked my neck to hold my phone while doing housework. Sometimes you just need your hands free so you can multitask.

I've heard of brothers wearing their shalwar kameez as pajamas bc they are so comfortable. Is this desecreting Islamic dress? I don't think so.

~Sarah

Just curious but...wouldn't a shalwar kameez be cultural clothing that is appropriate by Islamic standards rather than Islamic clothing? Is there even a difference? I think obviously hijab is "Islamic" because it's a religious obligation.

Sorry, just being picky! :)

dna1987

Muslim Guy
I don't see any problem at all. Actually, it's making the most use of what one has. Lol.

If she is covered properly and wearing hijab at all, then good on them for doing that, cause there are a lot more sisters who carry cell phones in their hands or pockets that walk about in singlets. Salam alaikum.

AishaR

Inshallah this finds you all in good health.

I am one of the sisters that does this. I use my hijab to hold my fone against my ear all the time. I think I have funny shaped ears as the blue tooth things keep falling out. Keeping your neck bent to hold the fone to your ear whilst doing house hold chores is impossible & very painful. I cant see what the problem is.
I always try to keep my voice low so not to draw attention to myself.

samiha

---------
Staff member

lol... i know people who do do it. It's not that it's wrong i just think it looks different. i know a niqaabi sister who drives and since she can't hold it she puts it in her scarf beneath her niqaab and talks! So it's not that it's wrong to do it, i just think it's funky is all. :p