How did Muslims become Muslims?

Ladybug3478

Salam,

It is possible that this was previously communicated but, I'm still not sure. So, here goes my question...

I understand that 'Islam' is the name given by Allah to define his religion. Islam means submission. And, 'Muslims' are the followers of Islam. But, what I don't understand is how did the followers of Islam come to be known as 'Muslims'? How was this word brought about as a description of those whom submit to Allah via Islam? Thank you.

Wa'Salam

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
:salam2:
BismiAllah

I dont know if this is the RIGHT answer but Allah gave us the name *MUSLIMS* like He gave HIS religion the name *Islam*. There are many places in the QURAN where Allah calls us this by name but the one I seem to rememeber NOW is this VERSE
إِنَّ المُسلِمينَ وَالمُسلِمٰتِ وَالمُؤمِنينَ وَالمُؤمِنٰتِ وَالقٰنِتينَ وَالقٰنِتٰتِ وَالصّٰدِقينَ وَالصّٰدِقٰتِ وَالصّٰبِرينَ وَالصّٰبِرٰتِ وَالخٰشِعينَ وَالخٰشِعٰتِ وَالمُتَصَدِّقينَ وَالمُتَصَدِّقٰتِ وَالصّٰئِمينَ وَالصّٰئِمٰتِ وَالحٰفِظينَ فُروجَهُم وَالحٰفِظٰتِ وَالذّٰكِرينَ اللَّهَ كَثيرًا وَالذّٰكِرٰتِ أَعَدَّ اللَّهُ لَهُم مَغفِرَةً وَأَجرًا عَظيمًا ﴿٣٥
(35) Surely the men who submit and the women who submit, and the believing men and the believing women, and the obeying men and the obeying women, and the truthful men and the truthful women, and the patient men and the patient women and the humble men and the humble women, and the almsgiving men and the almsgiving women, and the fasting men and the fasting women, and the men who guard their private parts and the women who guard, and the men who remember Allah much and the women who remember-- Allah has prepared for them forgiveness and a mighty reward.
In Surah al-Ahzab
I hope this helps:)
Allah hafiz NOW and ALWAYS:)
:wasalam:

mhamzah

Hope this answers your questions

:salam2:

And strive for Allah with the striving due to Him. He has chosen you and has not placed upon you in the religion any difficulty. [It is] the religion of your father, Abraham. Allah named you "Muslims" before [in former scriptures] and in this [revelation] that the Messenger may be a witness over you and you may be witnesses over the people. So establish prayer and give zakah and hold fast to Allah . He is your protector; and excellent is the protector, and excellent is the helper. (22:78)

And when it is recited to them, they say: "We believe therein, for it is the Truth from our Lord: indeed we have been muslims (bowing to Allah.s Will) from before this. (22:58)

Other references: 33:35, 51:36, 59:5, 2:128 , 3:52, 3:64, 5:111, , 7:126, 16:89, 16:102

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
And strive for Allah with the striving due to Him. He has chosen you and has not placed upon you in the religion any difficulty. [It is] the religion of your father, Abraham. Allah named you "Muslims" before [in former scriptures] and in this [revelation] that the Messenger may be a witness over you and you may be witnesses over the people. So establish prayer and give zakah and hold fast to Allah . He is your protector; and excellent is the protector, and excellent is the helper. (22:78)
JazakaAllah khairan bro this is ALOT more CLEARER than my VERSE:) allah bless you:)
Allah hafiz NOW and ALWAYS:)
Wasalamu Alaikum

Ladybug3478

Salam,

Thank you all for your replies. So, 'Muslim' was revealed via the Quran same as 'Islam'. Very good to know.

Wa'Salam

BigAk

The word in arabic is on the scale of: If'aal ---> Muf'il

Examples:

Ihkam ---> Muhkim
Ir'aab ---> Mur'ib
Iskha'a ---> Muskhee
Ijram ----> Mujrim
Ikmal ----> Mukmil

Therefore:

ISLAM ----> MUSLIM

Basic arabic grammer.... I don't expect you to comprehend the above but it's something to read.

interesting question.

the word muslim was given to the muslims by Allah when He revealed His Book, the Holy Quran.

mu roughly means follower of

islam comes from root word s-l-m or salam (peace, obedience, submission)
muslim means follower of salem or follower of islam or one who walks the path of peace..something along those lines.

Yousef83

Imagine Islam is a country with unchangeable rules and Muslims are citizen of Islam.
By the way Allah (c.c) is not a male or anything you know in the universe,far from

Ladybug3478

Imagine Islam is a country with unchangeable rules and Muslims are citizen of Islam.
By the way Allah (c.c) is not a male or anything you know in the universe,far from

Salam :),

Thank you for this. This is the second of three things I came across today that seem to relate to 'Tawhid' (Allah forgive me if I'm wrong and let the truth be known).

1st on a website today I came across something while trying to understand how Muslims became known as Muslims. The webpage said something like Islam is the universe (not those words but, something similar) and 'ALL' things are 'Muslims'. The the birds and just everything was Muslim as all things submitted to Allah's will as Allah controls all. Let me know what you think about this.

2nd...well, what you mentioned in the above quote.

3rd...hearislam.com link provided below by Ali. Yusuf Estes (Wasila link) said that Muslim's message is Tawhid/ oneness of Allah. And, that nothing can compare to Allah. That Allah was not created, is above creation, and in no way can we compare his creation to him.

Wa'Salam

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
I am surprised nobody just gave a *literal translation* of the word Muslim from its original Arabic..

Muslim when translated to English (literally) means *SUBMITTER*

and it comes from *Islam* which though is commonly translated as "submission" I feel that it's more correct to use "submitting" instead..

Since you know the information regarding "the significance and definition of submission"..I will not *repeat* things for you sister..but the word Muslim pretty much means what I stated above :)