I have lost my faith, and need help getting it back

Status
Not open for further replies.

World Peace

Islam is Light
Dr Jeffrey Lang from Atheism to Islam The purpose of life and the Dilemma of Evil in world
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aniREt3lWRw

From Atheism to Belief: A Journey to Islam in North America by Dr. Jeffrey Lang (2)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pliSaSQ-FTk&feature=related

From Atheism to Belief: A Journey to Islam in North America by Dr. Jeffrey Lang (3)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KMvOI8levo&feature=related

From Atheism to Belief: A Journey to Islam in North America by Dr. Jeffrey Lang (4)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhptKiANDeo&feature=related

From Atheism to Belief: A Journey to Islam in North America by Dr. Jeffrey Lang (5)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cZ-u2ikER4&feature=related

From Atheism to Belief: A Journey to Islam in North America by Dr. Jeffrey Lang (6)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXSeMBDwB9A&feature=related

From Atheism to Belief: A Journey to Islam in North America by Dr. Jeffrey Lang (7)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RDhNIL7UbQ&feature=related

From Atheism to Belief: A Journey to Islam in North America by Dr. Jeffrey Lang (8)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gqy4q7mxWmw&feature=related

From Atheism to Belief: A Journey to Islam in North America by Dr. Jeffrey Lang (9)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ji9fsBHfO0&feature=related

From Atheism to Belief: A Journey to Islam in North America by Dr. Jeffrey Lang (10)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niKFWNRieZo&feature=related

From Atheism to Belief: A Journey to Islam in North America by Dr. Jeffrey Lang (11)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAR-t2HxvZI&feature=related

From Atheism to Belief: A Journey to Islam in North America by Dr. Jeffrey Lang (12)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPnI-5ClMeQ&feature=related

From Atheism to Belief: A Journey to Islam in North America by Dr. Jeffrey Lang (13)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1W9nIgE5Mg&feature=related

Wasalam aleacom

Friend2100

Brother please dont lose hope

OK. I'm going to grant you this. I'm not totally convinced though. I understand the logic you're employing, and I'm partially swayed. I think this is a point that could conceivably be negotiated/overcome.

I think at this point, my biggest confusion is how God could possibly eternally damn someone to Hell (which I would imagine is of excruciating pain) eternally merely because he didn't believe in him. Talk about moral relativism. I can see the evil of murder, the evil of theft, the evil of a host of things. But to burn someone not for action or intent, but for merely not believing something. And something that understandably requires a leap of faith to believe in. Do you understand where I'm coming from. Let's say you spend your entire life helping the poor, the weak, the orphaned, and you sacrifice your money, your pleasure, and your life to help all of these people in need. You try your best to be kind to others and to not harm others, and when you die, God says to you: "You didn't believe in me, so you're going to Hell. Forever. You can plead, you can regret, you can recount all of your noble deeds, but I'm going to burn you in hell because you weren't convinced of my existence." And then to the guy who murdered a hundred humans and then repented, he says: "Well, you made a sincere repentance, so I'm forgiving your sins, and welcome to heaven, where you will live in eternal bliss and happiness, because you repented and believed in me." As I understand it, this is what God is like according to Islamic, Christian, or Jewish thought. (Other religions I'm not going to address because I think they're full of inconsistencies and fallacies to the degree it's obvious to many.) If you believe this, how can you love God, even if you believed in Him. My first reaction would be to absolutely resent God, to think of Him as an egotistical maniac. This is my biggest concern. Why so much suffering and torture for a very poor reason; because someone wasn't convinced. OK, maybe not believing is an insult to God. I can understand that. Burn him for a month or a year, and give him a lower level in heaven (if he was righteous) but to put him eternally in Hell--just the though of it is absolutely terrifying. I am literally terrified of death because of this fact. Imagine, if I were to die right now, while typing, I would be in Hell forever--if God exists. Which means those submitting to God are submitting in terror--similar to submitting to a brutal dictator--except this one has the power to carry on with the torture forever, and there's no escape. Why the malice? Why the pain?

The only way I could see around this point is if God conveyed in his books that there is a Hellfire for those who disbelieve in order to get people to believe, in order for them to then follow his laws (many of which are very necessary). But in reality, there's no hell, and God is just deceiving humans for them to toe the line. I don't find this very compelling, and admittedly I'm going out on a limb.

Assalamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullah
Dear Brother,
First of all I would like to congratulate for your willingness and hunger to seek the truth.:shake:
Your above question can be easily answered with simple logic.
Suppose 10-year old child urgently requires an normal dosage of Tetanus toxoid injection ,but the child does not agree because of the pain it causes when the needle is injected into body.what would the parents do? ofcourse they have to force the child in taking injection.During the course,what comes to child mind is that his/her parent is cruel, .but later when the same child grows up,the same thought about her parents regarding cruelty changes to love.
Similarly ALLAH(swt),who created us requires us to accept the truth when the truth is presented. ALLAH(swt)knows what is good for us and what is bad for us.if we don’t accept the truth.then we are the losers.both in here and hereafter.
Another example just to give you an insight,
Suppose your mother prepares a wonderful delicious food.but you don’t even look at the food..what would your mother feel. how could do that to your mother.
The same about ALLAH(swt).He says in Quran
And I did not Create the jinn and humans except they should worship Me.
[Noble Quran 51:56]
Then how could we be so disobedient.how could we be so stubborn in accepting the truth.
You are talking about the people who disbelieve.i wonder,first of all how could people disbelieve,when all the truth presented to them in perfect manner without leaving any loop-hole.
Sorry if was there was any wrong in my article.I am just trying to get rewards from ALLAH(swt).
Jazak ALLAH khair

MohammedMaksudul

May Allah Forgive us
OK. I'm going to grant you this. I'm not totally convinced though. I understand the logic you're employing, and I'm partially swayed. I think this is a point that could conceivably be negotiated/overcome.

I think at this point, my biggest confusion is how God could possibly eternally damn someone to Hell (which I would imagine is of excruciating pain) eternally merely because he didn't believe in him. Talk about moral relativism. I can see the evil of murder, the evil of theft, the evil of a host of things. But to burn someone not for action or intent, but for merely not believing something. And something that understandably requires a leap of faith to believe in. Do you understand where I'm coming from. Let's say you spend your entire life helping the poor, the weak, the orphaned, and you sacrifice your money, your pleasure, and your life to help all of these people in need. You try your best to be kind to others and to not harm others, and when you die, God says to you: "You didn't believe in me, so you're going to Hell. Forever. You can plead, you can regret, you can recount all of your noble deeds, but I'm going to burn you in hell because you weren't convinced of my existence." And then to the guy who murdered a hundred humans and then repented, he says: "Well, you made a sincere repentance, so I'm forgiving your sins, and welcome to heaven, where you will live in eternal bliss and happiness, because you repented and believed in me." As I understand it, this is what God is like according to Islamic, Christian, or Jewish thought. (Other religions I'm not going to address because I think they're full of inconsistencies and fallacies to the degree it's obvious to many.) If you believe this, how can you love God, even if you believed in Him. My first reaction would be to absolutely resent God, to think of Him as an egotistical maniac. This is my biggest concern. Why so much suffering and torture for a very poor reason; because someone wasn't convinced. OK, maybe not believing is an insult to God. I can understand that. Burn him for a month or a year, and give him a lower level in heaven (if he was righteous) but to put him eternally in Hell--just the though of it is absolutely terrifying. I am literally terrified of death because of this fact. Imagine, if I were to die right now, while typing, I would be in Hell forever--if God exists. Which means those submitting to God are submitting in terror--similar to submitting to a brutal dictator--except this one has the power to carry on with the torture forever, and there's no escape. Why the malice? Why the pain?

The only way I could see around this point is if God conveyed in his books that there is a Hellfire for those who disbelieve in order to get people to believe, in order for them to then follow his laws (many of which are very necessary). But in reality, there's no hell, and God is just deceiving humans for them to toe the line. I don't find this very compelling, and admittedly I'm going out on a limb.

:salam2:

I totally see your point and I will again try my best to make a good explanation. First of all, what you said about a believer and a disbeliever is true. A believer even if he sins (unless the sin is Shirk, which is either disbelieving in Allah totally or equating someone else to Him, The One) and repents sincerely (repentance is coming back from the bad deed to the path of righteousness and not just asking for forgiveness. as asking for forgiveness is called istigfaar) then if Allah wills He will forgive that person. And even if a disbeliever does a lot of good for humanity, all those deeds will go in vain and those people will be thrown in to the Hell fire. Now as far as your point is concerned that Why is that ? To answer this question lets first analyze the purpose of creation as understood by the Quran, which is as the brother/sister above quoted "And I did not Create the jinn and humans except they should worship Me.[Noble Quran 51:56]". The purpose of human kind is not to just do good deeds but to worship The Creator. The word worship is the literal translation of the arabic word Ebadah. Which in its implied meaning (due to the literary eloquence of the Quranic Arabic) means to follow the commandments of some one, as well. In addition to the ritualistic prayers or any other deed that we do, which is prescribed by Allah, the Almighty, is also an act of of Ebadah to Him, The Most Magnificient. There is a very important point here for you to consider. Without Allah, The Creator, The Supreme there is no actual definition of good or bad. Now, many people would argue that no it is in our nature for moral good and we know by default which is good and which is bad. But this argument in itself is completely false. If the Creator was not there telling us which is good and which is bad then we would have made our own definitions or we would have taken reference of someone else's definition and defined good or bad. In both cases the definition of good and bad/right or wrong would vary down to each individual. Lets say a man was born with a defect of getting sexually aroused only if the man is able to physically abuse the sex partner. If this man does not believe in the existence of Allah, he will go on raping women. Then it becomes his legal right because he is in need of such a thing. For him rape is a way to satisfy his desires. If you don't judge him by his ethics, he is a bad person and if you judge him by his ethics then he is a good person. You can not also say that he has to abide by the rules of the country, morality, ethics, etc. Then again all these arguments too are false, as you can see that no matter what with out believing the existence of Allah and that He, the Almighty has laid down rules there is no basis for judging anyone in the name of ethics or morality, which is defined by someone else. Then you have to judge that person by his ethics, which says what ever he is doing is justified. Good deeds simply means the things which have been allowed or prescribed to us from Allah and which pleases Him, The Most Merciful. Bad deeds are the opposite of such halal and recommended deeds. Now some one does a lot of deeds like helping the poor and needy, etc and for a purpose only known to that person. May be lets say to impress someone or may be lets say through kindness. The purpose of the deed and intention was only to satisfy his own purposes and not to follow or worship Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala. The sole purpose of creation is to worship Allah. So if a sinner who believes repents truly and does righteous good deeds then He has obeyed Allah through which he may earn Mercy and Forgiveness from Allah. And lets say a disbeliever does deeds like helping the poor, he only does it to satisfy his own purpose of kindness, etc. Not to please Allah. You get the point of this lengthy explanation ? The sole definition of good is obedience towards Allah, so by not believing in Allah a man will have committed the biggest bad deed of his life. May Allah forgive us all and guide us all and forgive my shortcomings here in explaining this.

May you be in peace and full faith again inshAllah.

fatma_said

:salam2:

To my dearest brother who is being struck in his faith there are duas that one can repeat to strengthen their faith

(Say:) I seek refuge in Allah. (Then you should desist from doing what you are in doubt about.)

Reference: Al-Bukhari, cf. Al-Asqalani, Fathul-Bari 6/336, Muslim 1/120.

‘Aamantu billaahi wa Rusulihi.
(Say:) I believe in Allah and His Messenger.

Reference: Muslim, 1/119-20.

Huwal-’Awwalu wal-’Aakhiru wadh-Dhaahiru wal-Baatinu, wa Huwa bikulli shay’in ‘Aleem.
(Recite the Ayat) He is the First and the Last, the Most High and the Most Near. And He is the Knower of all things (in Arabic).

Reference: Al-Hadid 57:3, Abu Dawud 4/329. Al-Albani graded it good in SahihAbu Dawud, 3/962.

I also want to add something else....

It is true that some religious people might come across as harsh but to describe them as somewhat heartless is deeply hurtful and may constitute as something of slander. It may seem that people are in turn being too judgmental themselves and misinterpreting the actions of their fellow Muslim

one must be ready to forgive and if something is bothering you i believe you should make that clear to the individual in a well mannered way so that we do not nurse grudges against our own brother/sister

Another point somehow i feel that an article posted in the news and current affairs section that was criticizing America was to blame for JenGiove's reluctance to contribute to that section. Criticizing American policies does not translate as an attack on the population, i dont want to say this but i feel that many people who are seeking to learn something of islam forget that although our religion is perfect, muslims are just human beings who also make mistakes and can be prone to reacting out of emotions...

I've been to many forums over the years and i believe that this is one of the most religiously tolerant and caring forums on the net, i just hope we keep that up

May allah forgive our sins, strengthen our faith and unite us in goodness and piety

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
As-salaamu'Alaykum,

I have been following this thread and there have been some good replies, and others have been rushed and improper.

Brother Mohammed Maksudul provided a good answer in relation to your question about who created God?

This type of question is impossible to answer due to limited human capacity. Look at the similar questions and how there is no answer to them. This is how people are led astray and on top of Shaytaan's whispers and influence. The post below will answer the point about sound human instinct. This is not a copy and paste, it is taken from a thread that was completed which answers many of these questions.

Sound Human Instinct Bears Witness to the Existence of Allah Without (Any Need for Further) Evidence

The Qur’aan does not discuss at length the matter of proving the existence of Allah (subhaanahu wa ta’aala), because it states that sound human instinct, and minds that are not contaminated with the filth of shirk, affirm His existence (without any need for further evidence). Not only that, Tawheed or the affirmation of Divine Unity, is something which is natural and instinctive.

In the Qur’aan it says:

So set you (O’ Muhammad) your face towards the religion (of pure Islamic
Monotheism) Haneef (worship none but Allah Alone). Allah’s Fitrah (i.e. Allah’s Islamic Monotheism) with which He has created mankind. No change let there be in Khalq-illaah (i.e. the religion of Allah, Islamic Monotheism), that is the straight religion...

(Qur’aan 30: 30)

This fitrah is the thing which explains the phenomenon that has been noted by those who research the history of religions, that all nations whose history has been studied have adopted gods which they have turned to and venerated.

(Even the communists nowadays who wanted to free themselves from the worship of gods – as they claimed – worship the founder of their Party, so you see them passing by his preserved body in Red Square on the anniversary of his death, bowing their heads in humility. They have made him a god; instead of worshipping the Creator of man they worship a dead man, may they perish!

Comment added by the author in the new, revised edition): This is what I wrote fifteen years ago. A few years ago the guards of communism destroyed their own Party and cast aside their leaders and they threw out the body of their founder just as they threw out their beliefs and ideas.)

It may be said at this point, “If turning towards Allah is something natural, then people would not have worshipped different gods at different times.”

The answer is, that the fitrah (natural instinct) calls man to turn towards his Creator, but man is surrounded by many other influences which make him deviate towards the worship of other gods.

Parents, writers, teachers and others instil into children’s minds ideas which change and contaminate this fitrah, placing a veil over the fitrah so that they are not able to turn towards the truth.

The Messenger :saw: stated that what we have referred to here is true. Bukhari and Muslim narrated on the authority of Abu Hurayrah (radhiyAllaahu anh) that the Messenger of Allah :saw: said:

“Every child is born in a state of fitrah, then his parents make him into a Jew or a Christian or a Magian.’”

(Bukhari, 3/245, hadeeth no. 1385; Muslim, 4/2047, hadeeth no. 2658)

- He did not say that they make him Muslim, because Islam is in accordance with the fitrah.

It may be said: “If we were to leave a child with no influences to affect is fitrah, would he turn out to be a monotheist, knowing his Lord?”

We say:

“If the devils among men leave him alone, and do not contaminate his fitrah”, but the devils among the jinn (shayaateen) will never leave him alone, as the Shaytaan made a vow that he would misguide the children of Adam:

(Iblees (Satan) said: ‘By Your Might, then I will surely, mislead them all, Except Your chosen slaves amongst them (i.e. faithful, obedient, true believers of Islamic Monotheism).’

(Qur’aan 38: 82-83)

The Shaytaan has been given the power to reach people’s hearts, as stated in the saheeh hadeeth:

“The Shaytaan flows in man like blood flows through his veins, and I fear that he may cast some evil – or he said, something – into both your hearts.”

(Muslim, 4/1712, hadeeth no. 2175)

The Qur’aan describes the Shaytaan, from whom we must seek refuge with Allah (subhaanahu wa ta’aala), as one who,

...Whispers into the hearts of mankind.

(Qur’aan 114: 5)

It is also true that every person has a hidden mate (qareen) from among the jinn who urges and encourages him to do evil. In the Qur’aan it says:

His companion (Satan-devil) will say: ‘Our Lord! I did not push him to transgression, (in disbelief, oppression, and evil deeds), but he was himself in error far astray.’

(Qur’aan 50: 27)

No can be safe from this unless he turns to Allah (subhaanahu wa ta’aala) for refuge.

Say: ‘I seek refuge with (Allah) the Lord of mankind, The King of mankind, The Ilaah (God) of mankind, From the evil of the whisperer (devil who whispers evil in the hearts of men) who withdraws (from his whispering in one’s heart after one remembers Allah). Who whispers into the hearts of mankind. Of jinn and men.’

(Qur’aan 114: 1-6)

The shayaateen among the jinn play a major role in corrupting and contaminating human nature. It is reported in Muslim from ‘Iyaad ibn Himaar that the Messenger of Allah (subhaanahu wa ta’aala) addressed one day, and one of the things he said in his khutbah (address) was:

“My Lord has commanded me to teach you what you do not know of what He has taught me today: all the wealth that I have given to My slaves is halaal, and I created all of My slaves as haneefs (worshipping Allah Alone), then the shayaateen came to them and led them astray from their religion. They forbade them things that I had permitted for them, and commanded them to associate others in worship with Me for which I had not sent down any authority.”

(Muslim, 4/2197, hadeeth no. 2865)
It continues, when a person reaches the lowest of the lows or calamity strikes, this fitrah (human instincts) manifests itself because there is no one else to turn to:

Calamities Purify the Essence of the Fitrah

It is often the case that the veils covering the fitrah and preventing it from seeing the truth will be removed when calamity strikes or problems arise for which no help is forthcoming from any human being and there is no means of saving oneself. How many atheists have acknowledged their Lord and turned to Him when overwhelmed with calamity, and how many mushrikeen (idolaters and polytheists) have made their devotion solely for Allah alone when disaster strikes?

...Till when you are in the ships, and they sail with them with a favourable wind, and they are glad therein, then comes a stormy wind and the waves come to them from all sides, and they think that they are encircled therein. Then they invoke Allah, making their Faith pure for Him Alone, (saying): ‘If You (Allah) deliver us from this, we shall truly, be of the grateful.’

(Qur’aan 10: 22)

We have heard now airplane passengers turned to their Lord when their plane developed problems and started to shake and swing about in the air, and the pilot – let alone the passengers – was not able to do anything about it. Their atheism vanished and they were screaming prayers, and their hearts turned to their Lord in all sincerity. There was no room for shirk (polytheism) and atheism in the face of such a terrifying ordeal.
Brother Maksudul's latest reply also answers your question about why a person who doesn't believe in God but does good deeds is in danger of the Hellfire.

I recommend you check this thread that explores Islamic Faith vs Philosophy and 'Ilm al-Kalaam:

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38442

Additionally you said why doesn't God just prove his existence. Well the signs of the Creator are very much apparent. Please refer to the thread below and read from post #36 to #115. I know it is an extremely long read although it will provide answers for the proof of the Creator from the many signs. (Including an explanation and refutation of those who say nature, the big bang or evolution are the creators.)

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?p=362018#post362018

Many people in the past have affirmed the existence of God although they have worshipped him incorrectly. We refer to the Qur'aan and Sunnah to make sure that our worship is pure from shirk (associating others as partners). This is the reason why there is a danger of entering Hell-Fire, if a person continues on this path Shaytaan seizes control and an influence over him.

You have even stated yourself that due to your pursuit in answering questions that are in their nature impossible due to the knowledge of such questions is not present, if it was then it would be in the Qur'aan or the Sunnah. Allah (God) (subhaanahu wa ta'aala) has not revealed such information of the Unseen, the essence of His attributes to a man, prophet or angel; therefore it has made you suffer psychologically because there is no revealed or authentic information about this. Therefore it is an endless pursuit.

Therefore, isn't your experience evidence that while worshipping God purely you were comfortable and happy. Thereafter, you abandoned this worship and it led to difficulties. This is because (and I mean no disrespect/offence) sometimes we feel self-sufficient although quickly (due to the difficulties that arise) we realise that without the Help and Guidance of our Creator we would be in a dreadful state.

I urge you to refer to the Belief in Allah (subhaanahu wa ta'aala) thread because it explains the Signs of God, the false attribution of Creation to other theories, knowing God through what He has revealed (from the Qur'aan and Sunnah). If we go beyond this and start looking in other sources, we will be led to astray because those sources are distorted or imperfect.

I hope that the answers provided in this thread help you to understand.

EDIT:

God does not just punish:

4) The Kaafir before Allah

The person who hears of Islam, and knowingly rejects it is a kaafir (disbeliever) who will abide in the Hell-Fire forever, for he will have no excuse on the Day of Resurrection.

Those who do not hear of Islam for whatever reason, such as living in remote areas or because they have lost their hearing and sight, or because Islam reached them when they were too old to understand, will not be punished on the Day of Resurrection until they have been tried and tested, because the proof did not reach. Allah, the Almighty, says:

...And We never punish until We have sent a Messenger (to give warning).

(17: 15)

The evidence that they will be tested is the hadith narrated by Al-Aswad ibn Saree’, who said: “The Messenger of Allah :saw: said:

“There are four who will be tested on the Day of Resurrection: the deaf who could not hear anything; the imbecile; the senile old man; and the man who died during the fatarah (interval between two Prophets, when no Message reached him).

The deaf man will say,

"O Lord, Islam came and I did not hear anything.” The imbecile will say, “O Lord, Islam came but the young boys were pelting me with camel dung.”

The senile old man will say,

“O Lord, Islam came and I did not hear anything.” The man who died during the fatarah will say, “O Lord, no Messenger came to me.”

Then Allah will take their pledge to obey Him, and He will send word to them to enter the fire. By the One in Whose hand is the soul of Muhammad, if they enter it, it will be cool and safe for them.”

(Ahmad in his Musnad, and classed as saheeh by Al-Bayhaqi. See Ibn Katheer in his tafseer of the aayah of al-Israa’ 15)
Walaykum Salaam.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

I am responding becasue I am tickled to death.

Brother, I am probably going to get banned for this but here goes:

Michael Jackson sang a wonderful song. He looked at the man in the mirror. You have questioned a lot of stuff. What about the man in the mirror. A person who is dependent on alcohol forgets everything but the need for a drink.
You are questioning faith. You have turned the question upside down. You choose your depression. It fulfills a need in you. You get a lot out of life by being depressed.
You have questioned free will and you have the aggorance to question the motive of the Creator. The Creator did not make you depressed. You did. You want to limit life. He gave you life.

B232

Assalaam walaikum,

I am responding becasue I am tickled to death.

Brother, I am probably going to get banned for this but here goes:

Michael Jackson sang a wonderful song. He looked at the man in the mirror. You have questioned a lot of stuff. What about the man in the mirror. A person who is dependent on alcohol forgets everything but the need for a drink.
You are questioning faith. You have turned the question upside down. You choose your depression. It fulfills a need in you. You get a lot out of life by being depressed.
You have questioned free will and you have the aggorance to question the motive of the Creator. The Creator did not make you depressed. You did. You want to limit life. He gave you life.

You don't make any sense. Plain and simple. I could see how someone chooses drugs, alcohol, or the night-life. But you don't choose to be depressed. That doesn't make any sense. And how do you get a lot out of life by being depressed. That's absolutely absurd--and I'm being polite in my choice of words.

Arrogance? It's arrogant to ask a question; it's people with attitudes like yours, and worse yet hypocrites, who destroy Islam, and who give Islam a bad rap. Since when is it arrogant to ask a question; rather, it's honest. If someone were to spend their life fasting and ritualistically praying five times a day but not understand why exactly he or she is doing it, then that person has not found faith--that person is afraid and clinging to something, and he/she does not know what; and that person I'm willing to bet is scared to pieces of the day he/she will die.

I would rather be an "apostate" for a period of time while I find my faith, then be a hypocrite for the rest of my life and never find true faith because I never asked the questions that have always been on my mind.

Why don't I have the write to question the motive for God's creating me. To worship him doesn't seem to really satisfy it; He presumably doesn't need anyone to worship him.

I hope you realize that your response does nothing but show your weakness, your inconfidence in what you believe, because if you were confident you would not have to resort to personal attacks, and you would actually address the issues themselves, instead of throwing ad hominems.

B232

Assalamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullah
Dear Brother,
First of all I would like to congratulate for your willingness and hunger to seek the truth.:shake:
Your above question can be easily answered with simple logic.
Suppose 10-year old child urgently requires an normal dosage of Tetanus toxoid injection ,but the child does not agree because of the pain it causes when the needle is injected into body.what would the parents do? ofcourse they have to force the child in taking injection.During the course,what comes to child mind is that his/her parent is cruel, .but later when the same child grows up,the same thought about her parents regarding cruelty changes to love.
Similarly ALLAH(swt),who created us requires us to accept the truth when the truth is presented. ALLAH(swt)knows what is good for us and what is bad for us.if we don’t accept the truth.then we are the losers.both in here and hereafter.
Another example just to give you an insight,
Suppose your mother prepares a wonderful delicious food.but you don’t even look at the food..what would your mother feel. how could do that to your mother.
The same about ALLAH(swt).He says in Quran
And I did not Create the jinn and humans except they should worship Me.
[Noble Quran 51:56]
Then how could we be so disobedient.how could we be so stubborn in accepting the truth.
You are talking about the people who disbelieve.i wonder,first of all how could people disbelieve,when all the truth presented to them in perfect manner without leaving any loop-hole.
Sorry if was there was any wrong in my article.I am just trying to get rewards from ALLAH(swt).
Jazak ALLAH khair

My number one confusion is regarding eternal damnation. One person mentioned that because if you don't believe in God then there's no right or wrong and all your right actions are for other motives such as kindness and not for God. OK. Consider this. What about someone who is misguided and believes in another religion (for example a Christian). He sacrifices his life to help others, and when he dies, he will burn eternally in Hell because he associated partners with God. Seems like an arbitrary crime, no. He was merely confused and didn't take the time to properly search for God or couldn't see the truth; now we burn him eternally for his ignorance. The same applies to Christianity; in their view, a wonderful Muslim is going to burn eternally because he didn't take Jesus Christ has his personal saviour. As a final example, imagine a pious and good-hearted Muslim who spent his life serving God, and then on his deathbed became an apostate because he lost his faith for some reason--this man will burn in Hell eternally. This is the number one point that I can't understand. I'm not being a moral relativist. OK, I can see a murderer burning in hell eternally. But I can't see the same punishment meted out for simply not believing something. You say it is because we have chosen to reject God despite the message reaching us--not because we could not believe. But that doesn't make sense. If we could believe, why woudln't we worship God. It seems like a very generous benefit package that God has, to say the least. Believe in him and follow his rules, and I get access to Heave FOREVER. Do the opposite, and go to hell FOREVER. Humans are very selfish; no one would choose to not believe with rewards and deterents like this, believe me.

A person once told me that the reason you go to Hell for not believing in God is because it's analogous to your telling your father that he's not your father. OK, I suppose its a fair comparison. But even then would your father burn you in hell eternally for doing this? Unless he's sadistic, no. I don't think people are trying hard enough to imagine what burning eternally means. There is no greater punishment that can come to mind. Burning alive for a few minutes is considered supreme torture on this earth, to undergo it eternally would be unimagineable. When I contemplate death, I'm literally scared to death of this possibility.

In fact, I believe that if someone is Muslim or Christian or believes in Hell, he/she should not have children unless they are selfish, because they believe that their children run the risk of burning in Hell eternally if they lose their faith--such as myself. My mother is a very pious woman--she may not be religiously strict--but she prays five times a day (Fajr often late), fasts Ramadan, knows a lot about Islam, and piously reads the Quran and hadiths and watches religious programs on a very regular basis. She is very sincere in her beliefs--not just practice, practice--I can see the sincerity in her when she's reading the Quran, and it brings a lot of happiness and peace of mind to her. My father, is far less religious, but still fasts and doesn't drink, and sometimes prays, and generally has strong Imaan and love for Islam--I'm the only one whose really lost his path. And now that I think about it, if you believe in Hell, I don't think you should have children. Why, so they can stand the risk to suffer eternal damnation, like myself.

And a note, I actually don't consider myself an athiest, because I'm not sure that God doesn't exist, I just have great doubts, and am confused.

JenGiove

You don't make any sense. Plain and simple. I could see how someone chooses drugs, alcohol, or the night-life. But you don't choose to be depressed. That doesn't make any sense. And how do you get a lot out of life by being depressed. That's absolutely absurd--and I'm being polite in my choice of words.

Arrogance? It's arrogant to ask a question; it's people with attitudes like yours, and worse yet hypocrites, who destroy Islam, and who give Islam a bad rap. Since when is it arrogant to ask a question; rather, it's honest. If someone were to spend their life fasting and ritualistically praying five times a day but not understand why exactly he or she is doing it, then that person has not found faith--that person is afraid and clinging to something, and he/she does not know what; and that person I'm willing to bet is scared to pieces of the day he/she will die.

I would rather be an "apostate" for a period of time while I find my faith, then be a hypocrite for the rest of my life and never find true faith because I never asked the questions that have always been on my mind.

Why don't I have the write to question the motive for God's creating me. To worship him doesn't seem to really satisfy it; He presumably doesn't need anyone to worship him.

I hope you realize that your response does nothing but show your weakness, your inconfidence in what you believe, because if you were confident you would not have to resort to personal attacks, and you would actually address the issues themselves, instead of throwing ad hominems.

Brother B232,

Please listen to me. I understand your view. You KNOW I do! May I say to you then that Sister Aapa did not mean it the way you took it. In this instance, you should have sat back and waited and thought.

I know what she meant and while her words may have been slightly clumsy and hard to figure out, she is also correct, IN PART.

Aapa, allow me to introduce to you B232....B232, may I introduce Aapa, the eldest member of the board.

I think the biggest question that needs answering is: Do you want to have a belief again? That's something that can't be answered right away and its not something you SHOULD answer right away. When I lost my ability to pray, it wasn't untill some time had passed that I realize...I MISSED praying...I WANTED to pray.....I just couldn't.

I needed time and I needed to WANT to have faith.

Depression and anxiety can be used as defensive weapons. We, as humans, can use them as shields and as swords. "Look at me! I'm in trouble here! Don't talk to me that way!". The human pyscie is an onion with all its layers and when we are feeling exposed and hurt, we can lash out and cause pain in others, just because we don't want to feel any more pain ourselves.

Brothers and Sisters,
I know you all want to help and there have been some wonderful responces here and some wonderful links and information shared here.....but may I be so bold as to suggest allowing time for all this information to settle in? May we allow a pause in the conversation?

Creator can not whisper to the heart if the person can not hear him for all the noise.

kayleigh

Do not speak to her, or anyone, like that.

She makes a good point. I have a lot of experience with the depression and anxiety that you talk about, and while it IS absurd to say that you initially choose to be depressed, I don't think she's saying that. But you *are* choosing depression right now.

It sounds harsh and I thought it was too when I was told the same thing, but it's usually true. You are used to how you feel and live your life when you're depressed. People who've been depressed all, or most, of their lives, don't know how to deal with their life and the world without it. For me, when I first started getting help and getting better, I would even find myself trying to find a reason to get upset or depressed and would always feel like I was waiting for the other shoe to drop because life couldn't just be that easy and happy compared to before. Depression and anxiety becomes a habit and a comfort if you don't know anything else.

Depression skews your world view, which is why you won't get anywhere without help.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

Brother,

Good.

Depression is a way to look at your life. You are either satisfied and happy or depressed and disgruntled. It is the peg one selects to place their hat.
Depression is an imprint. It is a weight one puts on.

For a believer the medicine for depression is patience. Depression is a need to have needs met this very second. It is a veil. Depression casts doubt on your ability to use sense. Depression is self-inflicted.

In simple words the ego reality feels worthless. The need to feel, to belong to, to be a member of a group is so great that nothing satisfies the longings. In other words, the needs of myself are more important than anything in the Universe. Depression is the sister of the ego. The twin sister.

Brother,
I am no hypocrite. I am a truth teller. I do not mince words. You are intelligent. Faith is a gift; it is available to all. Faith puts the ego where it belongs.
The members of this forum have been kind to you. Many have given you tools to use to assist you in reaching out to Allah. Everyone, including me, wishes the best for you. There are people here with their arms open wanting to embrace you. All you have to do is take one step.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

But out of His Compassion He has given me water; sand; soil to make wudu so I can Adore Him. All I have to do is want to be in His Light.
( now you have me with tears rolling downmy cheeks)

abdul-aziz

I am a Muslim who has lost my faith. Not because I converted to another religion. And not because I decided to adopt a secular life-style to fit in. I've lost my faith, after much thinking and questioning, and finding in the end that I could not see the logic of religion at all.

However, this is only true if you believe, not if you simply practice religion. I am unable to believe--I want to--but I can't. And I want help, because I hope that there is something I'm missing that will make me believe.

I'm unfortunately a psychological wreck. I suffer from severe anxiety and depression, as well as painful guilt, shame, and emotional imbalances. I wasn't traumatized or anything in my childhood, but I've gone through very difficult and exceptional circumstances that have eventually caused me to collapse psychologically. I am now desperate for a solution to put my life back together, whether its through faith or psychological help. I'm reluctant to get psychological help because of the fact that would be entered in my medical records, and would thus leave me with a stigma that would follow me to the rest of my life.

assalam aleikum,

this makes so much sense, thanks to your explanation of personal self, the ayat of Allah are like clear as day in meaning.

Allow me please (Using Saheeh international translation of Quran:

Surat Taha(20) ayat 113-114:

And thus We have sent it down as an Arabic Qur’an and have diversified therein the warnings that perhaps they will avoid [sin] or it would cause them remembrance. (113)

So high [above all] is Allah, the Sovereign, the Truth. And, [O Muhammad], do not hasten with [recitation of] the Qur’an before its revelation is completed to you, and say, "My Lord, increase me in knowledge." (114)

make prayer that Allah increase you and all of us in knowledge.

Now a little reflection of the past and glimpse of the future:

Surat Taha(20) ayat 115-128:

And We had already taken a promise from Adam before, but he forgot; and We found not in him determination. (115)

And [mention] when We said to the angels, "Prostrate to Adam," and they prostrated, except Iblees; he refused. (116)

So We said, "O Adam, indeed this is an enemy to you and to your wife. Then let him not remove you from Paradise so you would suffer. (117)

Indeed, it is [promised] for you not to be hungry therein or be unclothed. (118)

And indeed, you will not be thirsty therein or be hot from the sun." (119)

Then Satan whispered to him; he said, "O Adam, shall I direct you to the tree of eternity and possession that will not deteriorate?" (120)

And Adam and his wife ate of it, and their private parts became apparent to them, and they began to fasten over themselves from the leaves of Paradise. And Adam disobeyed his Lord and erred. (121)

Then his Lord chose him and turned to him in forgiveness and guided [him]. (122)

Ask Allah to guide you and all of us:

[Allah] said, "Descend from Paradise - all, [your descendants] being enemies to one another. And if there should come to you guidance from Me - then whoever follows My guidance will neither go astray [in the world] nor suffer [in the Hereafter]. (123)

And whoever turns away from My remembrance - indeed, he will have a depressed life, and We will gather him on the Day of Resurrection blind." (124)

He will say, "My Lord, why have you raised me blind while I was [once] seeing?" (125)

[Allah] will say, "Thus did Our signs come to you, and you forgot them; and thus will you this Day be forgotten." (126)

And thus do We recompense he who transgressed and did not believe in the signs of his Lord. And the punishment of the Hereafter is more severe and more enduring. (127)

Then, has it not become clear to them how many generations We destroyed before them as they walk among their dwellings? Indeed in that are signs for those of intelligence.
(128)

again thank you for sharing with us.

wa aleikum assalam wa rahmat Allah

SeeTheTruth

Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh

Dear brother "B232", you've been given several advices in how to gain your faith back, if you really want to, not just because you think it's right. Doubts normally appear and will always appear. To fix this issue, you've to get knowledge of our religion Islaam.

Recite this over and over again, during praying "if you pray" and if you've the will, Allah s.w.t will surely help you. Who else should we seek for refuge or help except Allah s.w.t, who created us?

"In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful. Say: I seek refuge in the Lord of men, The King of men, The God of men, From the evil of the whisperings of the slinking (devil), Who whispers into the hearts of men, From among the jinn and the men."

The Devil whisper in men and jinn to go astray. The Devil is always with you, in every situation, especially in the life or a real Muslim, who practices his religion, why?
Because we've have been guided to the right path "alhamdulillah". If you truely believe in Allah s.w.t, the Devil will do anything possible to make you go astray and practice anything else except the Islaam. It might also be possible, that you're being tested by Allah the Almighty to see, if you're a true believer. A lot of people, who converted to Islaam "they were really rich and wealthy", suddenly ends in losing anything he had built before. This is the way, how Allah s.w.t tests us, to see, if we really believe, or if we just believe in the Almighty, if we are in good conditions and never felt any pain.
We can slightly move you to the right direction, but the only one, who'll be able to help you, is Allah the Magnificent. Do not try to find an answer here, that will certainly help you, but dedicate yourself to Allah s.w.t.
May Allah s.w.t guide you, bless you and protect you from the whispering of the Devil. May Allah s.w.t answer your prayers and your du'as.

I went a bit offtopic, inscha'allah, I supported you a bit in your current situation.

Alaikuma salam warahmatullahi wabarakatuh

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

No sad faces..He Created us in Joy. The Prophet was ALWAYS smiling. There is no time for gloom and doom in Islam.
How blessed are we; we are on the journey home and He has given us all this. I don't know about you guys but I am blessed and happy.

WHICH OF THE BLESSINGS DO YOU DENY.

No matter what experience I face it is a blessing. Oh how happy you have made me feel. If I have been hungry..I know hunger and feed others..If I have been alone...the joy of being with angels...everything is a way for me to Adore You...and if that is not enough You send lil ole me a blueprint to live with. A manual on the way to heaven for dummies: The Quran. You send me a man..a real live human being..who shows me how to live..

No matter what You make it easy for me..

Now that's what I'm talking about.

Let me bow down and adore Him. Alhumdulila, Alhumdulila, Alhumdulila

muharram23

Staff member
Salamu alaykum

I believe that there has been plenty of time given for this topic and it has reached an end. May Allah reward all those brothers and sisters who took their time to answer our brother his questions.

We have to understand that we have been created for a purpose and no one can deny that. The life in the hereafter is a reality wether we like it or not, wether we understand it or not. It is our free will to submit ourselves to Allah the CreAtor of heavens and earth.

Allah said that He has created people and of them are those who believe and from them are those who disvelieve.

We ask Allah to show us the straight path. That path is straight and has no doubts

In the end, guidance is with Allah. He guides whom He wills and leaves astray whom He wills.

It is upon every person to ask himself or herself that Allah guides us to the correct way.

If we have doubts or do not understand something, we should be patient and ask Allah to give us the understanding.

And Allah is source of guidance

Wassalam

Status
Not open for further replies.