I have read that photo taking and filming and cameras is not allowed in Islam but are

truthseeker63

I have read that photo taking and filming and cameras is not allowed in Islam but are there exceptions to this can photos be taken for educational reasons ?

abdul-aziz

I have read that photo taking and filming and cameras is not allowed in Islam but are there exceptions to this can photos be taken for educational reasons ?

:salam2:

There is a difference of opinion among the scholars regarding this matter.

One states that a picture/video is a factual piece of information of the past or present. Therefore it is acceptable. It is not altered or created by one's imagination of a person or animal with a soul.

The other states no picture or video is acceptable. Even TV, youtube, internet, and pictures.

wa Allah ya'lam

try islamQA, I am sure you will find similar questions.

[EDIT] ABU SARAH has made a comprehensive thread regarding this matter here on TTI: http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65328&highlight=picture+prohibited

:wasalam:

Precious Star

First of all, DRAWING (or sculpting) images of animate beings is haram with promised punishment of being thrown in the hell fire after being asked to give live to that which you drew.

What is the source for the punishment you have described, i.e. "promised punishment of being thrown in the hell fire". Is it in the Holy Quran?

truthseeker63

I have seen on tv Muslims holding photos of Bin Laden and Bin Laden did allow himself

I have seen on tv Muslims holding photos of Bin Laden and Bin Laden did allow himself to be filmed by cameras and I have heard Muslims say they have seen photos of the people killed in Iraq therefor I want to know if photos can be used for educational reasons does the Quran and or the Hadith say anything about this thank you ?

Exclusive Osama (Usama) bin Laden "US threats" - YouTube

Exclusive Osama (Usama) bin Laden "US threats"

The first ever TV interview with Osama (Usama) bin Laden. Conducted in 1997 by Peter Bergen and Peter Arnett. The history and origins of his hatred for the US.
Photographer: Peter Jouvenal

esperanza

revert of many years
i have never found any evidence on this, people are just paranoid

thhe issue of pictures/photos/pictures in books always confuses me

if we had no photos or images at all,then what about films,tv,internet ,all these things,a photo is like a film showing an actual image

and what about books for example children learning ,why must eyes be removed

form my simple understanding,what is strictly not allowed,is statues ,paintings of people on your walls,as these are like some kind of idols,and this is what was being stopped at the time of the prophet(pbuh)

would welcome any clarification on such matters

Precious Star

I know no one is going to believe me, and I have posted this before, but here goes anyway.

In the early years of Islam, there was a complete prohibition of any type of image, anywhere, inlcuding homes and places of worship. The reason being that paganism was the main challenge for Islam. Hence, the holy Prophet had to ban images in order to ingrain and enforce the concept of one God who does not have an image or idol. In the last years of prophethood, as Islam spread, the Prophet relaxed this rule and in fact allowed images of animals in peoples' homes if they were for decorative purposes only.

I don't have encyclopedic references, sorry! Instead I heard it at a lecture when I was in Amman.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Slow it down brother, slow it down...

Be gentler in tone with the sister. I believe her and I follow Islam. Let's keep it cool.

The best of all proof is in the Quran. Thus brother do not go anywhere but give me the ayat from the Quran. Give the hadeeths. And please do not use Islam Q&A. It has to be universal.

Astrugglingsoul

:salam2: brothers and sisters
well i have seen some Islamic calligraphy that actually resemble animals. ( you can just type islamic calligraphy and find images at google ) what about those? are those allowed?

Ershad

Dear brother truthseeker63,

Hope this post finds you in good health. You might know that Islam is a religion of intentions. Qur'an and hadith is not just a rule book but we have to make conclusions and understand it based on logic. If Qur'an or Hadith prohibits something you must understand the basic principle or belief why it is prohibited. You have to see that if the act would result in a sin. Not all photography is prohibited in Islam. It depends. So whenever you take a photograph, you have to take care that the photo doesn't cause a sin, say for example it is a photo of your wife and it gets into the hands of a non-mahram or say you took a picture of some animal and start worshiping it (sounds crazy but just to explain). Similar is the case of drawing pictures. If you draw pictures to explain your child something, it is not haram. Remember, in Islam, it is always intentions and Allah SWT knows your intentions. I am including some video lectures (fatwa) of some prominent Islamic speakers with this post which will explain you further.

[yt]uORWCoRfG54[/yt]

[yt]8JBBG-h5rrk[/yt]

[yt]zH6XzBA7XqA[/yt] (In hindi, but subtitles included)

Hope this answers your question.

Jazakallahu Khair!

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

No, I was not off topic. I wanted clarification thus I asked for the definition. It stops useless arguments. You have written not to take the words of Dr. Naik very seriously. I wanted to understand why you would suggest this.

Your definition concerns me as it reminds me of the bishopric successions.

And yes, we need a thread on this subject.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

That thread did not answer anything. The respondent did not give facts that would make anyone think otherwise. The answer of the scholar was very general and did not give historical references.

My point being and it relates to this thread is exactly what you said: On the Day of Judgment I can not say to Allah this scholar told me. I have to be sure. If I do not take photographs I need to be 100% sure. My questions would include has the scholar held a camera? What is it exactly that the scholar and all scholars fear for us. Where is the proof in the Quran. Where is the additional evidence in the hadeeths.

Just because 10 people agree does not mean that they agree to what is the truth. They may just agree.

I am searching for 100% evidence that will make me absolutely sure. It is an absolute that I need. If there is a difference of opinion among scholars where is the break in thought. When did the thoughts split. Why did the thoughts split. I just want to practice my faith without blind following. It has to 100% without a doubt.

Ershad

I would not listen to zaikr naik, he is not an official scholar but self learned person who has made many mistakes that other scholars have pointed out. We have more authentic and qualified scholars to learn our deen from...

Dear Brother,

Self-learned? Seriously? I think he learned from Qur'an and hadith. And same is the source of the Scholars that you talk about. The only authentic source is Qur'an and hadith. I don't learn deen from scholars (whom you claim authentic) nor from Dr.Zakir Naik. I found most of his dawaah true according to Qur'an. That is why I posted those links and unlike you say he is very prominent speaker and his lectures are acknowledged by most muslim scholars around the world (e.g. Dr.Bilal Philips)

Only Allah knows the best!

Jazakallahu Khair!

Aisya al-Humaira

الحمدلله على كل حال
Wa'alaykummusalaam wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuh.

Please allow me to point out a few things, inshaa Allaah.

My point being and it relates to this thread is exactly what you said: On the Day of Judgment I can not say to Allah this scholar told me. I have to be sure. If I do not take photographs I need to be 100% sure. My questions would include has the scholar held a camera? What is it exactly that the scholar and all scholars fear for us. Where is the proof in the Quran. Where is the additional evidence in the hadeeths.

Exactly, we do not say that on the Day of Judgment. However, in the Quran itself, it says that if we do not know, we ask from the people who know. People who understand. Who else would understand the deen better than the scholars; men who have spend their WHOLE LIFE learning the deen?

And then suddenly, we as a layman person, who have only spent a few years to study Islaam or becoming serious in the deen are questioning the scholars? I am in no way saying that we should just follow the scholars blindly without giving a second thoughts of their rulings, but I've seen too many as if trying to "correct" these scholars. La hawla walla quwwata illa billah. We are in no positions for that, brothers and sisters.

Also, I've seen that even if saheeh ahadeeth, a well-explained elaborations are brought in front as proofs, some still even *argue* just because it do not go with *their* logic, *their* intellect, *their* education [what they've also been taught all this while] nor *their* environment.

I am searching for 100% evidence that will make me absolutely sure. It is an absolute that I need.

Mashaa Allaah, such good intention. May Allaah helps you in that, Ameen.

If there is a difference of opinion among scholars where is the break in thought. When did the thoughts split. Why did the thoughts split. I just want to practice my faith without blind following. It has to 100% without a doubt.

Sister, when it comes to the matter of the deen, matters about Islamic rulings [fiqhi matters], it is not as simple as that. We do not simply draw the line at the point where the scholars differ. Even to be able to know, understand and acknowledge the differences of opinions, one must be a student of knowledge, who seek ilm' on one-to-one or specialized in that field [Usool al-fiqh/ Uloom al-hadeeth/ Usool ad-deen] with a trustworthy teacher/Ulama'/Ustaadh. We do not just read and then try to understand the ruling from scholar A, scholar B and then just take out where they differ.

Among the 4 major Imaams, they even have differences in opinions [as we can see this madhaab sometimes have different rulings than the other madhaab], however they do not disapprove nor talk ill of the other. Instead, they accept it. So, at least have some respects to other scholarly opinions even if we might disagree with it.

If it happens that one disagree with a scholar [as I posted in another thread], you make dua'a for them, disagree with them and then look for other sources of *reliable* scholar that may have a different of opinions. Otherwise, we stick to the one who brings the most SAHEEH ahadeeth, detailed explanations and of course Quranic verses.

I do not mean to direct this post towards anyone, but I felt it important to point this out especially since we are not scholars, aren't we?

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah

It's 100% sure according to the hadiths posted above by brother Dawaah that "Drawing by Hand" is 100% not allowed. I've researched this topic extensively myself quite a few years ago, and there are numerous hadiths which point to this.

Cameras and Photographs are a disputed subject amongst scholars. Some say its allowed, others say its not. However we know that displaying pictures is not at all allowed.

Ibn Uthaymin

I didn't say anything out of line? I only stated the obvious. It doesn't matter if its her or someone else, one would not believe what another says regarding Islam unless it is presented with evidence. No one is attacking her, she is merely stating what she heard and i'm merely stating how that wouldn't be taken as evidence to base one's Islam on.

You do not have to listen to the scholars on islamqa, although they are very reputable, but you cannot deny the hadiths mentioned as they are universal and can't be ignored.

However, i did say from the beginning and even that site mentions that there is difference of opinions among scholars in regard to photography. One can be either on the conservative side and go with these scholars or they can go find the other opinion and go with those scholars. Each individual have to decide for themselves which opinion they want to follow.

Here's the other opinion on the topic:

http://www.islamweb.net/emainpage/index.php?page=showfatwa&Option=FatwaId&Id=129812

This culture of refutation is so sick. Seriously with all that hate in your hearts towards your fellow Muslims how do you build upon spirituality?

And these people they havent spared anyone; Shaykh Muhammad Hassan, Shaykh Ali Hasan Halabee, Abdullah Azzam Bro Abu Usamah, Dr Bilaal Philips, Abdul Raheem Green, even Muratza Khan...so who should we listen too?

They even refuted a bro cause he went to watch a movie with his family in Trinidad and Tobago. WTH!?