I wish someone would have told me

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

The way I look at it brother, if it tastes good..it has to be fingerlicking good and that makes it easier on the dishwasher..me.

On a more serious note..we live and learn...

Frank_H_Smith

New Revert 2010
As Salamu'Alaykum,

We had both. One of the amazing things to me is after I took my Shahadah, I came home and shaved my head and other areas. I just felt like I should do it. Now today I read that it was the correct procedure. Thankfully other requirements had already been met.

Frank_H_Smith

New Revert 2010
As Salamu 'Alaykum,

Think how I feel with a few hundred dollars worth of Chess Books and over fifty years of playing. I finally got good and now...

But, seriously, it is a waste of time and money that could be better spent. I just don't know if I can donate the books to the local library in the name of The Islamic Center. I will have to contact them and find out.

ximkoyra

Eh? I skimmed through that document and it looks to me like the author has taken quite some liberties with some of his interpretations. For example:

Seeing one's womenfolk behaving in an immoral fashion and keeping silent

Ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him and his father) reported that the Prophet
(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There are three whom Allaah will
deprive of Paradise: the one who drinks intoxicants, the one who is disobedient to his
parents, and the one who accepts immoral conduct on the part of his family.”
(Reported
by Imaam Ahmad, 2/69; see also Saheeh al-Jaami’, 3047). One of the many examples
of this in modern times is men turning a blind eye to their daughters or wives contacting
non-mahram men and chatting to them in a way that may be described as “romantic,” or
accepting one of the women of his household being alone with a non-mahram man, or
allowing them to sit alone with a driver or other employee, or letting them go out
without proper hijaab, so that everyone may look at them, or bringing home immoral
magazines and movies.

I can't really comment on the authenticity of that hadith, but this author really turned it into something it's really not.

Another example is the interpretation about the hadith where the Prophet PBUH talks about avoiding dice games. Common sense will tell you that he was telling his people that gambling is a serious sin, but this author took it much further and demonizes dice itself and anything that has to do with it, such as backgammon.

You'd probably just be better off asking your local imam about it.

katieanneb

Assalemu alaikom brother Frank,

I know how you feel, but don't be so hard on yourself. If you think about it, to get a university degree it takes 3 to 4 years of study, so you can't be expected to know everything about Islam in only a month. And remember, as a new Muslim, if you accidentily do something wrong, but out of ignorance, you won't be held to account. It's only once one knows something is haram or looked down on that one is accountable if one persists in doing whatever it is (phew, that was a bit long-winded!!! lol). If you don't know something is wrong, how can you be punished? But next time avoid it, now that you know it's wrong.

Everything in Islam is perfect, sobhana Allah! Just wish we were!!!

Salem.

sal12

Assalamu alykum,

Can someone kindly copy and paste the information here that's on the link as my laptop has this security thing on it which doesn't allow me to view adobe!

Jazakallauhu khayr

weakslave

Eh? I skimmed through that document and it looks to me like the author has taken quite some liberties with some of his interpretations. For example:

I can't really comment on the authenticity of that hadith, but this author really turned it into something it's really not.

Another example is the interpretation about the hadith where the Prophet PBUH talks about avoiding dice games. Common sense will tell you that he was telling his people that gambling is a serious sin, but this author took it much further and demonizes dice itself and anything that has to do with it, such as backgammon.

You'd probably just be better off asking your local imam about it.

Jazaka Allaahu Khairan for not stating your opinion, as the sheikh illustrated in point 5 - Allowing what Allaah has forbidden and forbidding what Allaah has allowed.

We don't actually want you to comment on the authenticity of any hadith of the prophet :saw:. If there was doubt in the authenticity of the hadith the sheikh would have clarified it inshaAllaah.

Jazaka Allaahu Khairan brother Frank for sharing this.

believer4life

soul searching...
whoa!!

:salam2:
are you guys seriously saying it's harram to eat with a silver fork & spoon?
since when and where's the proof?

Abu Talib

Feeling low
are you guys seriously saying it's harram to eat with a silver fork & spoon?
since when and where's the proof?

Praise be to Allaah.

Vessels of gold and silver are forbidden according to the texts of Islam and according to scholarly consensus. It was proven that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Do not drink from vessels of gold and silver; do not eat from plates of gold and silver, because they are for them in this world and for you in the Hereafter.” (Saheeh, agreed upon; from the hadeeth of Hudhayfah may Allaah be pleased with him). And it was proven that he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever eats and drinks from vessels of gold and silver, is taking fire from Hell into his belly.” (Saheeh, agreed upon; from the hadeeth of Umm Salamah, may Allaah be pleased with him; this version was narrated by Muslim).

It is not permissible to use gold and silver as vessels, whether for eating or drinking. The same applies to things used for wudoo’ and ghusl. All of that is haraam according to the hadeeth of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). These things should not be sold so that Muslims will not use them. Allaah has forbidden us to use them so they should not be used for drinking, eating or any other purpose. It is not permissible to use them in spoons, coffee cups or teacups; all of that is forbidden, because these are kinds of vessels.

So the Muslim should avoid that which Allaah has forbidden and keep away from extravagance and wasting wealth. If he has ample wealth then there are poor people to whom he can give charity; there are mujaahideen fighting for the sake of Allaah to whom he can donate. He should give in charity, not fool about with his wealth. There are those who need his wealth.

So the believer must dispose of his wealth in charitable ways, such as giving to the poor and needy, in building and maintaining mosques and schools, repairing roads and bridges, helping the mujaahideen and poor migrants, and other ways, such as paying off the debts of those who are in dire straits, and helping those who cannot afford to get married to do so. These are all good things on which we are encouraged to spend.

As for wasting wealth by buying vessels, spoons, cups or bathroom fixtures of gold and silver, and the like, all of that is reprehensible and we should avoid that and warn others against it. Whoever has any position of status in countries where such things are done, such as scholars and rulers, should denounce that and prevent the extravagant from indulging in such things. And Allaah is the One Whose help we seek.

Majmoo’ Fataawa wa Maqaalaat Mutanawwi’ah, 6/378.

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/13733/silver