I'm still fasting today in canada

BrotherZak

eid apparently begins on saturday...but some people in ottawa and in ontario are doing it on friday..the city is literary spilt..but i'm fasting its kinda weird

shaheeda35

strive4Jannah
:salam2:
We are fasting over here also in New York and we are having Eid on Saturday inshallah. Eid Kareem!

ama6621

Assalam Alaikum
I am in northern virginia, US. We are celebrating Eid today. But I have heard that some mosques in the area will celebrate it tomorrow.

Assalam Alaikum

Amirah20

Eid is (or was depending on when you read this) on FRIDAY! I don't understand how people are celebrating it on saturday when the moon was sighted. Saudi and all the other nations celebrated eid. unfortunately some here decided Eid should be celebrated on Saturday (ignoring the other muslim nations). SubhanaAllah this is what our Imam said “The moon was sighted in Texas but we didn’t see it up here (my state), so therefore we will celebrate eid on Saturday.” alhamdullilah majority of the people ignored his call and celebrated today, but there are some who are doing it on saturday.

Greek_Rose_2005

this is what i was told about it Im texas ok even another city far 30 min their eid its tomorrow...weird i know...and i hear shia here in same city im at fasting today and eid tomorrow for them..i heard from someone that some myslims follow international law on this and others follow by local..so this may be why also some its eid and some fasting..maybe

BrotherZak

The islamic society of North Amirica comprised of more than 30,000 mosques, muslim organization, muslim university groups, and the majority Fiqhi scholars have decided to fast on Saturday in North America. In fact the majority of Muslims in north America are fasting on Saturday. The logic of following Saudi arabia can be likened to following saudi arabia's prayer schedule. Even in egypt their fasting on saturday...

salam

Amirah20

The islamic society of North Amirica comprised of more than 30,000 mosques, muslim organization, muslim university groups, and the majority Fiqhi scholars have decided to fast on Saturday in North America. In fact the majority of Muslims in north America are fasting on Saturday. The logic of following Saudi arabia can be likened to following saudi arabia's prayer schedule. Even in egypt their fasting on saturday...

salam

Huh? Fasting on Saturday? Okay I’m just going to assume you mean Eid not Ramadan. LOL! ISNA is a JOKE! I don’t wanna start anything that’ll cause your thread to close, so I’ll refrain from the ISNA topic. If one country sights the moon then the rest of the Muslim world has to follow it. To make you feel better Texas already announced they saw the moon, but they were ignored by some. Unfortunately we have those people who celebrate Eid by calculation rather than the sighting of the moon *cough* ISNA *cough* I’m not just following Saudi, but the entire Muslim nation also announced Eid. This whole Eid debate is happening in Canada and North America…the rest of the world agreed on the same day. This isn’t rocket science all you gotta do is sight the moon and if one person sees it then we all have to follow it.

MuslimUmma22

Eid

:salam2: here in vancouver some of celebrate eid today while others are waiting inshallah for saturday...so we have a split may allah accept from us all inshallah..
:wasalam:

mutaqoon

Huh? Fasting on Saturday? Okay I’m just going to assume you mean Eid not Ramadan. LOL! ISNA is a JOKE! I don’t wanna start anything that’ll cause your thread to close, so I’ll refrain from the ISNA topic. If one country sights the moon then the rest of the Muslim world has to follow it. To make you feel better Texas already announced they saw the moon, but they were ignored by some. Unfortunately we have those people who celebrate Eid by calculation rather than the sighting of the moon *cough* ISNA *cough* I’m not just following Saudi, but the entire Muslim nation also announced Eid. This whole Eid debate is happening in Canada and North America…the rest of the world agreed on the same day. This isn’t rocket science all you gotta do is sight the moon and if one person sees it then we all have to follow it.

Assalamu alaykum, Can you help me understand if you are supporting local sighting or universal/scientific sighting? I am kinda confused!

BrotherZak

Salam

ISNA is a joke? I'm glad to you're informed? How can you call scholars and islamic speakers and its comprising groups of Mosques a joke and expected to be taken seriously? :)

Regardless the ISNA fiqhi council have made a commendable argument for why they should use calculation and astronomical evidence for the moonsighting. Do you realize their is actually 4 opinion or 4 camps on this matter and its not as easy as you claim it is? Don't have such a myopic or narrowminded stance to totally disregard the works of honest ulema who have decided to use astronomical instruments and instead claim they are totally wrong and a "joke". We are not living 1400 years ago when the muslim ummah was situated in Medina and Mekkah and in same time zone? Muslims communities are spread across the world seperated by dozens of timezones and distances. How are the Muslim community going to follow the moon sighting in saudi when it is day in Canada? If you take the verse from the quran which says you must see it physically then its quite difficult to follow saudi's time...you want us also to pray using their schedules timing? Its definetly more complex and i believe the issue will be resolved...in my opinion i agree that fiqhi council who have decided to use astronomical calculations to find the moonsighting are backed up by the Quran and Sunnah and history. Do you realize that early Muslim empires used to practise local moonsighting in determing when is Ramadan>

however, i also say the universal moon sighting also has a strong claim and shouldn't be ignored.

"The most important thing, I feel, is that all Muslims recognize that both opinions (i.e. universal moon sighting and local moon sighting) are valid fiqh opinions that come from qualified Muslim 'ulama with proofs from the Qur'an and Sunnah" ---its how we intrepret it

But to be objective here is an article which advances many strong arguments why the moon sighting should be universal as opposed to local.
http://www.mereislam.info/2004/10/some-thoughts-on-moon-sighting.html

• The Qur'an, the Sunnah and our blessed 'ulama place a great deal of emphasis on the unity of the Muslim Ummah. Therefore, it seems to me that if you have two equally valid fiqh opinions, the one which promotes and encourages the unity of the Ummah should be implemented.

But my point is that both are valid points and let the priveleged and praised scholars resolve the issue inshallah

www.isna.ca may you can learn about the people you call a joke :)

najbc

Assalam

same here, I mean my family and i eid on friday but there are some mosque and people that are eid today. this is crazy, back home on where i am from everyone eid on the same day and in the west they eid different days. It would be great if everyone eid on one day.

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic

Eid Mubarak to all my beloved Brothers and Sisters on TTI!!!

We celebrated Eid on Friday (and still celebrating alhamdulillah).

Question: There is disagreement among the Muslims in our country whether we should follow calculations, a local sighting, or a global sighting. Which group should I follow?

Answered by Sheikh Salman al-Oadah

I hold the opinion that Muslims should fast with the people of the country wherein they reside whether they rely on calculations, use both calculations and a crescent sighting, or rely exclusively upon a sighting. Allah likes people to be together and dislikes separation.

Muslims should avoid looking absurd in front of other nations, particularly in highly visible matters such as fasting, `îd, and the pilgrimage.

From the website editors:

The decision on which sighting to follow (a local one, an international one, or a calculation, as mentioned by Sheikh Salman) must ultimately be made by the scholars in your country. When that decision is made, everyone must follow it. There is no excuse for different communities within the same region to begin Ramadan and to celebrate `îd on different days.

The issue at hand is based on ijtihâd and differences of opinion are allowed in this case. However, when it comes down to implementation, the community must be united. Whoever goes against the majority decision and divides the community is wrong. Therefore, even if you disagree with the ijtihâd that is reached by the majority of the scholars in your country, you must abide by their decision for the sake of Muslim unity.

And Allah knows best.

Fatwâ Department Research Committee of IslamToday.net chaired by Sheikh `Abd al-Wahhâb al-Turayrî