Is doubt really Kufr?

A-believer-25

:salam2:

I want to thank everyone who replied to my last thread.

I have a second question if it's ok to ask, inshallah.

On IslamQA, it speaks of a person who has doubts as being a "Kafir" (Non-believer)

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/21249

-4- The kufr of doubt, which means hesitating with regard to following the truth and being uncertain as to whether it is true, because what is required is certainty of faith (yaqeen) that what the Messenger brought is truth with no hint of doubt in it. Whoever thinks that what he brought may not be true has disbelieved, in the sense of kufr of doubt, as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And he went into his garden while in a state (of pride and disbelief), unjust to himself. He said: ‘I think not that this will ever perish.

And I think not the Hour will ever come, and if indeed I am brought back to my Lord, (on the Day of Resurrection), I surely, shall find better than this when I return to Him.’

His companion said to him during the talk with him: ‘Do you disbelieve in Him Who created you out of dust (i.e. your father Adam), then out of Nutfah (mixed semen drops of male and female discharge), then fashioned you into a man?

But as for my part, (I believe) that He is Allaah, my Lord, and none shall I associate as partner with my Lord.’”

If a person has doubts, which might come outside his control, why would said person be considered a "disbeliever"? I do appolgize for my annoying question but I felt like I needed to ask.

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum.

Perhaps one way of answering it will be this. When you doubt something, you are not sure of it's truthfulness in light of other "possibilites" in your mind. So while you think something is true, you have not attained that yaqeen or certainty to be convinced of it. Look at agnostics for example, they claim to be unsure of Allaah's existance or not. Some are more inclined to belief in Allaah, but that doesn't make them believers, they are still in serious doubt.

If you mean that you believe in something but shaytaan whispers to you "perhaps it is not true", then that is just waswas (whisperings) which should be repelled.

Hope this clarifies. And if I have erred, can someone please explain better than me.

Rashadi

I want to thank everyone who replied to my last thread.

I have a second question if it's ok to ask, inshallah.

On IslamQA, it speaks of a person who has doubts as being a "Kafir" (Non-believer)

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/21249

-4- The kufr of doubt, which means hesitating with regard to following the truth and being uncertain as to whether it is true, because what is required is certainty of faith (yaqeen) that what the Messenger brought is truth with no hint of doubt in it. Whoever thinks that what he brought may not be true has disbelieved, in the sense of kufr of doubt, as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And he went into his garden while in a state (of pride and disbelief), unjust to himself. He said: ‘I think not that this will ever perish.

And I think not the Hour will ever come, and if indeed I am brought back to my Lord, (on the Day of Resurrection), I surely, shall find better than this when I return to Him.’

His companion said to him during the talk with him: ‘Do you disbelieve in Him Who created you out of dust (i.e. your father Adam), then out of Nutfah (mixed semen drops of male and female discharge), then fashioned you into a man?

But as for my part, (I believe) that He is Allaah, my Lord, and none shall I associate as partner with my Lord.’”

If a person has doubts, which might come outside his control, why would said person be considered a "disbeliever"? I do appolgize for my annoying question but I felt like I needed to ask.

We won't be held accountable for what is beyond our control. Shaytan whispers to us and that is not what we can control either. We all get that and we are not disbelievers because of that. It's just like a bad thought that comes to our mind and we are only responsible if we carry it out but if we ignore it and seek refuge with Allah from these evils of our own desires, shaytan, etc, then we are good to go inshaAllah. You have propably just misunderstood it because there is no way you can be a disbeliever for having doubt being whispered to you.

A-believer-25

Thank you both for the reply! May Allah (SWT) reward you both!

I still don't completely understand it though. Are there two different type of "doubts"?

If the shaytan whispers doubts into someone then it is understandable if they don't get held to account, but what about the other type of "doubt"? Does the doubter put those doubts in his heart or what?

alhamdullilah

Stranger
From my understanding (very limited understanding, and if i'm wrong may allah forgive me), doubt becomes "dambi" (sin) when you don't fight it and give into the shaytaans whispers. This in turn would lead to the doubter to have his doubt show in his actions; such as in following allahs commands.

Doubt will always plague humanity as long as the shaytaan is still doing his job, but the important part is that you fight it "aamantu billahi wa-rasuulih" (I trust in allah and his messenger), thats the definition of "jihaad-ul-nafs" (the struggle within), and you will get immense reward for it. And as long as you stay persistent and beg allah to strengthen your iimaan, it will become easier to cast your doubts aside and follow the truth.

Ashima33

Salaam,

I have found in my times of doubt (I believe most go through these times), that I actually come out of them stronger. When I have them I feel more motivated to prove the doubts wrong and I read and learn more about my faith and everything is clear and makes sense again. Part of the struggle!

Wasalaam.

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum.

Yes, the waswas or whisperings that we receive in a state of belief, are just whisperings, which we should repel. It is different to the doubt being described in the quoted fatwa, and Allaah knows best.

Tawhid1

The Nullifiers of Islam

The Nullifiers of Islaam

the Imaam and Mujaddid - Muhammad bin ‘Abdil-Wahhaab -

Know that the Nullifiers of Islaam are ten.

THE FIRST NULLIFIER

Shirk (associating partners) in the worship of Allaah. Allaah says:
“Verily, Allaah does not forgive that partners be associated with Him in
worship (i.e. Shirk), but He forgives what is less than that to whom He
wills.” [Surah An-Nisaa: 116]
And He says: “Verily, the one who mixes partners in worship with Allaah
(Shirk), then Paradise has been made forbidden for him and his final
abode will be the Hellfire. And the wrongdoers will not have any helpers
(in Hell).” [Surah Al-Maa’idah: 72]
What falls into this is performing sacrifices to someone other than Allaah,
such as the person who offers a sacrifice to the Jinn or to a grave.

THE SECOND NULLIFIER

Whoever places intermediaries between himself and Allaah, calling
unto them and asking intercession from them, and seeking reliance in them,
has committed disbelief according to the unanimous agreement (Ijmaa’).

THE THIRD NULLIFIER

Whoever does not hold the polytheists to be disbelievers, or has doubts
about their disbelief or considers their ways and beliefs to be correct, has
committed disbelief.

THE FOURTH NULLIFIER

Whoever believes that some guidance other than that of the Prophet’s
(sallAllaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) is more complete than his guidance and that
someone else’s judgement is better than his judgement, such as the one who
prefers the judgement of the Tawaagheet (pl. of Taaghoot; false
deities/religions) over his judgement, then he is a disbeliever.

THE FIFTH NULLIFIER

Whoever hates something that the Messenger came with, even though
he may act on it, has disbelieved.

THE SIXTH NULLIFIER

Whoever mocks or ridicules any part of the Messenger’s Religion or its
rewards or punishments has committed an act of disbelief. The proof for this
is Allaah’s statement: “Say: ‘Was it Allaah and His verses and His
Messenger that you were mocking? Make no excuses, you have
disbelieved after having had faith.” [Surah At-Tawbah: 65-66]

THE SEVENTH NULLIFIER

Sorcery, which includes magic spells that cause a person to hate
something he seeks after (sarf) or love something he doesn’t seek after (‘atf).
So whoever performs it or is pleased with it being done, has committed
disbelief. The proof for this is Allaah’s statement: “And neither of these two
(angels) would teach anyone until they had first said to them: ‘We are
only a trial (for the people), so do not commit disbelief.’” [Surah Al-
Baqarah: 102]

THE EIGHTH NULLIFIER

Supporting and assisting the polytheists against the Muslims. The
proof for this is Allaah’s statement:
“And whoever amongst you takes them (i.e. the disbelievers) as allies and
protectors then he is indeed from among them. Verily, Allaah does not
guide a wrong-doing people.” [Surah Al-Maa’idah: 51]

THE NINTH NULLIFIER

Whoever believes that it is permitted for some people to be free of
(implementing) the Sharee’ah (revealed laws) of Muhammad (i.e. Islaam), just
as it was permitted for Al-Khidr to be free from the Sharee’ah of Moosaa, then he is a disbeliever.

THE TENTH NULLIFIER

Turning away from Allaah’s Religion, not learning it or implementing it
(is an act of disbelief). The proof for this is Allaah’s saying:
“And who does more wrong than he who is reminded of the ayaat
(signs/verses) of his Lord, then turns away from them. Verily, We shall
extract retribution from the criminals.” [Surah As-Sajdah: 22]
There is no difference, with regard to (committing any of) these nullifiers,
between the one who jokes, the one who is serious or the one who does so out of fear. However, the one who commits them due to being coerced (is
excused). All of these (ten) matters are from the gravest in danger and from
those that most often occur. So the Muslim must beware of them and fear
from these acts befalling him. We seek refuge in Allaah from those things that
bring about His Anger and painful Punishment. May the peace and blessing
be on the best of His creatures, Muhammad (sallAllaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam).

A-believer-25

Thanks for the reply everyone!

So the "doubts" that are mentioned in the fatwa is something different than the one the shaytan whispers into people? Are these type of doubts by choice then?

a_stranger

I think it is natural to have some doubts and it is an illness in the heart,but we find the cure in more knoweldge in Quran , Quran if read with a heart can clear all doubts and whispers of Shaytan. More i think this kind of doubts flourish when one is alone and having nothing good to do, If the muslem plan his whole day for Allah : doing good deeds with good intention then those doubts and whispers will stop auotomaticly .....(good deeds like, doing work in the house, visiting a realtive, being good to parents, smiling , greeting others, ....helping some one , eating can be a good deed if one say that I eat to have energy to worship Allah swt.......listening to Quran or good speech........etc.).

I believe that happiest man on earth who is with perfect faith and his heart will be sound one ,but we weak people should struggle to perfect our faith so that our hearts can rest. One step to complete faith is to take care of prayers (I mean pray with a heart).

abu'muhammad

Doubt is not a part of belief and what is not belief is kufr. the remedials are needed to overcome doubts.

Attaining knowledge can beat ‘doubts’. The doubts are not uncontrollable. One of the reason they arise because of weaker iman. We believe, Iman increases and decreases. Sometimes it decrease to extent that person doubt where he/she should have firm faith. Due to weak iman , shaytaan and person’s own worldly thoughts fell him in doubt. They arise because person lack in knowledge of deen.

If doubts come unknowingly than attitude should be to seek its remedials that are : seeking nearness to Allah, reading and learning quran as much, finding the answer for the doubt, etc. as if health deteriorates than one does effort to regain soundness of health again, in the same way if beliefs shatter than efforts should made to increase and re-gain faith back. muslim should stick to what Allah has given us knowledge through quran and authentic sunnah and not doubt in anyway, that is what Allah intends from us ‘To believe’ and who adheres is a ‘believer’.

As an illustration. If a person is traveling in ship is told there is no captain driving the ship. Will he doubt ? no. because he knows its not possible. From his previous learning of ship, he very-well knows that there is a captain. So the question didn’t issued doubt in his mind as he was well versed with the knowledge of ship and captain in advance.In the same way, if a person gets obligatory knowledge of deen, InshaAllah the doubts will not come into his mind. shaytan too would be away from him as he is strong in faith.

Some of instances of How doubts, kufr and shirk prevents one to believe -kuffars of mecca use to ask : ‘how will we be alive when we would had become dust ?’for the question, ‘Allah will make them alive as He has given them life for the first time’ as what quran teaches. They use to ask prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) how you could be a prophet , when you are like us ? (aauzoo billah) or they ask “why Allah not sent any angel or jinn to convey the message?’ these and other questions they used to ask due to the doubts, audacity, kufr and shirk.

Muslims accept shahadah “ no other God accept Allah and Muhammad is slave and messenger of Allah’ that is to believe : in Allah, His divine attributes, His names, His uniqueness, His messengers, His books, His angels, predestination, His will, the day of qayamah, the day of resurrection and reckoning, endless life in hereafter, His happiness on believers and anger on disbelievers, polytheists. And so believers accept all the things without using intellect and reasoning and there shouldn’t be any portion of doubt in that.

The books good to read on subject ‘ diseases of heart and its cure’ by Ibnal qayyim. (not sure of title of book ). Kitabal iman by Ibn Taymiyah , kitab at-tawheed by Muhammad Abdul-wahhab . May Allah have mercy on all of them.

May Allah give us perfect belief, correct our mistakes and dwell believers in jannat al-firdaus . Aameen.

:wasalam: