Is it necessary for the wife to work????

Saifu deen

Alhamdullah..
:salam2:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]What is the responsibility of the husband in regards to working? In today’s society it is almost necessary for the wife to work. However, where does this put the family responsibilities of the children? [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Question number: 242[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Date posted: 2002-07-26
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Answer:[/FONT]
darkBlueArrow.gif
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]According to the strict teachings of Islam, it is the responsibility of the husband to work to maintain and support his family since as Allah has stated in the Qur’an the financial responsibility falls squarely on the shoulders of men. “Men are maintainers/protectors of women because of what (strength) Allah has given the one more than the other, and because of what they spend of their property (to maintain them).” (Q. 4: 34).

However, if both husband and wife have decided consensually that both of them are going to work, they should share the financial responsibilities if not equally at least partially. It could be a good idea to agree upon a formula acceptable to both (one third of wife’s earnings towards the family expenses is a good workable formula). As far as the responsibilities of caring for children and taking care of home are concerned, these should also be mutually shared by both husband and wife. To refuse to do so, and thus putting the whole burden on the wife is nothing but oppression and injustice. It is at once unfair, and, therefore, unacceptable in Islam.

How can a wife be expected to spend eight hours outside the home working and then when she comes home she invests another eight hours of work at home taking care of home and children?. Allah’s strict order in the Qur’an for the spouses is to deal justly, fairly and compassionately towards one another, and He has categorically forbidden all forms of injustice and oppression in any form whatsoever.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Reference: http://www.islam.ca/answers.php?id=242[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Wassalam Alykom..

[/FONT]

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member
salam aleikum
How can a wife be expected to spend eight hours outside the home working and then when she comes home she invests another eight hours of work at home taking care of home and children?
and a husband too
It would be very hard for her and not good for her family .Mother is the first school for her children and family is her first responsibility no matter what...

Jazakallah khair

waaleikm salam

UmmOf3

Salaam aleikum

If a woman, and a man, work equally outside of the house, or she might work a little less... Isnt it just fair to share the housework then?

Southrn_Muslimah

bnqɯnɥ 'ɥɐq
Salaam aleikum

If a woman, and a man, work equally outside of the house, or she might work a little less... Isnt it just fair to share the housework then?

:wasalam:

I think if the housework is becoming a stressful task for the woman..then I feel the man should step up and help out. The little things like rinsing out a cup or a plate helps :) Or taking the time fold some towels or clothes. Laundry is my biggest obstacle and insha Allah one day I will have a husband who helps with that lol.

Saifu deen

Alhamdullah..
Salaam aleikum

I agree with you sister. But, what if the husband doesnt like to help out on the housework, but ready to help out on anything else. For instance, teaching the kids islam, and help them out with their homeworks. Is it fair at this point?... If not how could a wife change the habits of the husband and encourage him to take an active part.

MubarekMuslimah

Salaams

The household is the woman's domain - it is her kingdom ( or queendom!) Islamically, the man takes care of finances and defence of the family and in providing the shelter etc and the woman takes care of the domestic duties, food, laundary and looking after the children.

I do work but insha'allah if we have children, I will not work then. I only work now because a) we need the money for savings and general day-to-day costs and b) because without children right now, I COULD stay at home but I would not have enough to occupy my mind or time. Hence I choose to work.

Yes if the woman works then it is only reasonable for the man to help with some of the household duties too since they are then sharing their roles. However I dont think men are as naturally inclined to this behaviour as women. For instance, my husband can cook very well but the actions of planning the meal, getting the ingredients and then putting them together and cooking is something that takes him far longer than me. Women just kind of get on with it - men it requires more effort sometimes! Also it doesnt really enter my husband's 'radar' to think about if washing needs to be put on, about ironing clothes for next day, about what food is in the fridge and what needs to be bought from the shop. BUT my husband masha'allah can do many things I cannot do or far more easily than me - he is stronger physically and can work harder, he is better with DIY, he can take care of the car and I cant even change the tyre and dont know how to check the oil (lol), he plans and budgets money better than me, he is braver and more sensible in times of stress and upset, and he is right more times than I care to really let him know!! (lol...)

The Prophet pbuh used to help his wives with the house hold chores from time to time alhamdulillah so I do remind him of that from time to time - he likes to do the hoovering so I let him get on with that and he cooks a mean brekfast at weekends masha'allah

I think that if both husband and wife work then a bit of give and take on other duties is good idea - husband should not take their wives and what they do in the home for them, for granted...:astag: and they should be grateful and patient with each other insha'allah

Wasalaams

Umm-Sumayyah

assalaam`u`alaikum
i am a mother of 2 mashAllah and i actually work 24 hrs to 24, so SubahanAllah i think this is a really hard job and off course as mothers we have the comfort to do the job in our own home..how nice mashAllah.
Instead a man has to work 8 hrs but not in his own home, he has to wake up and come out of the home, travel and reach the place of work.
SubahanAllah.. Allah is very fare, he has prescribed each one of us with different duties so from my understanding a woman should be at home to take care of the house, the children, the husband, etc and the husband should provide for them inshAllah.
however if a woman can do all of this in a nice and organized way such as that she is got extra time, why not help working part time inshAllah, working for women is not proibited in islam.
wassalaam

Southrn_Muslimah

bnqɯnɥ 'ɥɐq

I agree with you sister. But, what if the husband doesnt like to help out on the housework, but ready to help out on anything else. For instance, teaching the kids islam, and help them out with their homeworks. Is it fair at this point?... If not how could a wife change the habits of the husband and encourage him to take an active part.

Hmmm never thought about it that way with the husband teaching the kids..but the helping out with the cleaning would be brownie points in my book :)

Saifu deen

Alhamdullah..

Does cultural practices/values interefere with this issue, what you reckon???. For example, a husband might say something like this ''women back home work and do everything in the house, men dont touch nothing??'', ''I was raised not to do anything in the house, do you want me to start now, at this age''.

I personally believe that cultural practices is an advantage/disadvantage, which could determine the agreement between the husband and wife on this issue. (wife & work, husband & housework)...

I really had a long conversation with friends, but their perspective on this particular issue is totally wrong, or doesn't fit todays society. Isnt nice for a husband to show his appreciation by helping out, even when the wife is a full-time mum)..

Does cultural practices/values interefere with this issue, what you reckon???. For example, a husband might say something like this ''women back home work and do everything in the house, men dont touch nothing??'', ''I was raised not to do anything in the house, do you want me to start now, at this age''.

I personally believe that cultural practices is an advantage/disadvantage, which could determine the agreement between the husband and wife on this issue. (wife & work, husband & housework)...

I really had a long conversation with friends, but their perspective on this particular issue is totally wrong, or doesn't fit todays society. Isnt nice for a husband to show his appreciation by helping out, even when the wife is a full-time mum)..

I can so relate to this I have brothers and my mother treats them like eggs [yup you read it right] you not supposed to move them afraid they might break lol…We clean for them [sometimes] and also cook for them, don’t get me wrong even though my brothers know how to cook and clean but dear mother doesn’t let them do anything at all.. Even though my brothers do their cleaning now and there is no way we are negotiating that…But I agree with you Culture has a big and I mean BIG influence on men of this generation. Unless one has decided to break from it and start helping the wife with the chores, it’s going to be a big problem!!! Especially if you marry someone of the opposite culture, who would not understand if you were the egg or the rock in your childhood.

But I suggest they put their childhood aside and be like the Prophet [saw] “…Verily, the most perfect amongst believers in faith is he who is the best in manner and the kindest to his wife…."

Amirah20

Our prophet (pbuh) has mentioned that a woman engaged in her household duties attains the position of fighting in the path of Allah (swt) (jihad).

A woman belongs in the house taking care of her children and her husband. She should strive to raise her children with the Islamic values by implant the love for Allah (Swt), his Messenger (pbuh) and jihad in his path in their hearts. She needs to raise the Ulama and the Mujahideen of the ummah as she has the future of Islam in her hands. We should strive to be like Safiyyah Bint Abdil-Muttali, Asma Bint Yazid Bin As-Sakan, Umm Musa Al-Lakhaimyyah, Asma Bint Abi Bakr As-Siddiq, Al-Khansa, Hawa Barayev (her brother is on my avatar) and the lists goes on.

So sisters fear Allah (swt) and the last day, stay at home, teach your kids the words of Allah (swt) and be an obedient wife. As Allah (swt) gave us great honor and status by putting the future of Islam in our hands. A woman who stays home to take care of her household duties and teaching Islam to her kids is given the status of a mujahid, so embrace this role and don’t follow the delusion the kuffar gives us of what a so called “free” woman should be like. Sadly we have this disease called feminism which poisoned the women’s mind.

However there are sisters who are the sole income in the home due to the lack of true men in our ummah, which forces our sisters to go out and work. InshaAllah my dua’a are with them and their reward is with Allah (Swt).

um muhammad al-mahdi

لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله
Staff member

I think the best place for a woman is at home! :)
I do work at the moment, alhamdulillah, and it's a full time job with lots of responsabilities and so at home I cannot be 100% but alhamdulillah my husband is a great support mash'Allah. It's just a matter of "team work" ;)

UmmOf3

Salaam aleikum

Maybe we are not the best example hehe, because my husband does not have cultural reasons to not do housework, he just dont like it... But I just say to him "do the vacuuming while I do the dishes" leaving him without a way out... ;)

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
Our prophet (pbuh) has mentioned that a woman engaged in her household duties attains the position of fighting in the path of Allah (swt) (jihad).

:salam2: sister
Sorry for this question and for being a nuisance..

I have been thought how to look out for fabricated hadith....
One such way is to see whether they sound logical.

the hadith quoted might be one. Can someone check....

Sorry again...

Saifu deen

Alhamdullah..
However there are sisters who are the sole income in the home due to the lack of true men in our ummah, which forces our sisters to go out and work. InshaAllah my dua’a are with them and their reward is with Allah (Swt).

Sister.. Sometimes both couples are forced to agree upon this issue. There are various fundemental factors that determine whether it is necessary for a wife to find emplyment., and believe me sister that doesnt mean that men in this ummah aren't true men. For instance, the factors that play a major role on the whole of this issue is, 1) the husband educational background, 2) economic problems in the country will lead to inflation 'unemployment', 3) May be his chosen field is not desired in this country, 4) may be being a muslim made it even more difficult to find a job with his degree, 5) certain wives wont accept to live with the husband's basic salary, 6) certain families believe that morgage is a must' in order to reach a specific class within ones community, 7) life is too expensive, ect......

Men dont have a scope to change all that, but are forced to adapt to it. I wonder if a wife accept to stay at home, and live a very basic life according to the husband capabilities, even if he gets 100 pounds a week (wife, and two children).. Would a wife accept this?, or decide to help?..

(I am not referring to anyone at all, this is a general subject''

Rosheen

Sister in Islam
I live in London, its one of the most expensive places in the world to live. We have a mortgage and that needs 2 people to pay it. The bills also need 2 salaries to be paid.

I don't have the luxury of choosing to stay at home. I have to work wether i like it or not. God has given me a brain to get a well paid job, the good health to get up every day and do my work. Whats my excuse? none.

If I were to insist my husband keep me then we would be reduced to living in a room in a shared house, living on the cheapest food. If we were then to have children where would they stay? In a shared house? I think not.

This is 2007, women have to work.

Is a womans place at home? Maybe it was years ago. I would love to be able to say i want to stay at home.

On the flip side of that. Me and my husband are a team, we both work and we both do the housework. That makes for a good marriage in 2007!

Saifu deen

Alhamdullah..
I live in London, most expensive, mortgage, The bills also need 2 salaries to be paid.

:ma: may Allah (swt) support you and reward you and all the sisters at work and the sisters who fulfilling their duty at home. There are also well educated sisters who decide to stay at home, because they accept the basic life and they so happy as well :ma: . For example, if a women marry a university student, and the husband's capabilties are so limited. At the same time they are the happiest couples, with children, and living in an expensive city.. (I've seen so many people like that, mashallah allahuma barek lahum).

If a husband capable to manage all the life expenses and requirement to live in luxury. Wouldn't every muslim women accept to stay at home? Would the brother still ask the sisters to seek employment to waste her time since she has graduated and capable to manage effectively?

um muhammad al-mahdi

لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله
Staff member
This is 2007, women have to work.

Is a womans place at home? Maybe it was years ago. I would love to be able to say i want to stay at home.

:salam2: sis! How r u? :hearts:

Wallahi those words are the same I used to say about 4 years ago to my husband :SMILY335: ....and if you ask me now how I see my future insh'Allah... well, a muslim wife staying at home taking care of husband and children...ameen insh'Allah! :hearts: