is it true that Napoleon bornaparte was a muslim?

al-hakim

i've read from somewhere stated that the 1st France emperor(after the french revolution)Napoleon Bornaparte(also known as Napoleon 1) was a muslim & his islam name is Aly Napoleon Bornaparte.is it true?i also heard that few french national soccer player such as frank ribery,nicholas anelka & abidal have converted to islam few years ago.& one dutch national soccer player robin van persie also converted to islam.american celebrities such as Ice cube & britney spears,late michael jackson also hv became a muslim.is it true?:wavyarms:

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
assalamu alaykum

No Napoleon was not a Muslim.

Yes Ribery and Anelka are Muslims, I do not know the others.

No .. Ice Cube, Britney Spears and Michael Jackson are not Muslim

Sovannarith

Ice Cube is Muslim, although I'm not sure if it's just Muslim or if he's in the Nation of Islam. In one interview he called himself a natural Muslim, but I can't post the link to it because I don't have 15 posts yet.

Here are some of his lyrics.

24 MC Hours said:
Put the whoop on 'em (look to Allah)
Put the whoop on 'em (pray to your god)
Put the whoop on 'em (I look to Allah)
Put the whoop on 'em (pray to your god)

Gangsta Rap Made Me Do It said:
It could be her if she was this spritual
'Cause me and Allah go back like the cronies
I don't got to be fake 'cause he is my homie

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum

I think the confusion lies with a statement that supposed statement that Napoleon Bonaparte made about the Qur'aan. He spoke of it in a high light. But since when was that enough to become Muslim?

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
Assalamu Allaicum Wa rahmatullah wa barakatuhu

Allah knows the best who are His honest servants who foloow Islam and those who do not, but this is the first time that I have heared for some names declaring themselves as Muslims. Like for example Britney S., Ice, etc. Since when is enough to say I am Muslim to be Muslim, to say I am Muslim and act completaly against it. We la hawle we la quwete illa billahi

May Allah guide us all

Wa Allaicumu Sallam wa rahmatullah wa barakatuhu

Illyrian

"I hope the time is not far off when I shall be able to unite all the wise and educated men of all the countries and establish a uniform regime based on the principles of Quran which alone are true and which alone can lead men to happiness." - Napoleon Bonaparte as Quoted in Christian Cherfils, 'Bonaparte et Islam,' Pedone Ed., Paris, France, 1914, pp. 105, 125

In the book, ‘Satanic Voices - Ancient and Modern’ by David M. Pidcock, (1992 ISBN: 1-81012-03-1), it states on page 61, that the then official French Newspaper, Le Moniteur, carried the accounts of his conversion to Islam, in 1798 C.E.

It mentions his new Muslim name, which was ‘Aly (Ali) Napoleon Bonaparte’. He commends the conversion of his General Jacques Menou, who became known as General ‘Abdullah-Jacques Menou’, who later married an Egyptian, Sitti Zoubeida - who was descended from the line of the Prophet Muhammad (on whom be peace).

Napoleon did recognise the superiority of the Islamic (Shari'ah) Law - and did attempt to implement this in his Empire.

Further detailed accounts of this can be found in the book 'Napoleon And Islam' by C. Cherfils. ISBN: 967-61-0898-7

Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821), the famous French Emperor, was a man of great vanity and ambition, and he succeeded to conquer many countries, but in the end was defeated and finished his life in exile on the Island of St. Helena. While in exile, he had opportunity to reflect upon Life, and his thoughts were published in a book entitled "The Thoughts of the Prisoner of the Island of St. Helena" shortly after his death. One of his thoughts was:

"The existence of One God is undoubtable, but all religions are creations of Man."

If by "One God" Napoleon meant the Creator of the Universe, then such belief in existence of One God would make Napoleon a sincere Muslim. He did not place much faith in man-made religions. But what religions was he familiar with? Christianity, and some names of other religions. He knew that the religion of the Arabs was Islam, but he had little knowledge about it. But Islam is nothing else but belief in One God, the Creator of the Universe - everything else follows from that. Some people come to such belief naturally by themselves. Abraham did. And so did some others.

Asja

Pearl of Islaam

"The existence of One God is undoubtable, but all religions are creations of Man."

If by "One God" Napoleon meant the Creator of the Universe, then such belief in existence of One God would make Napoleon a sincere Muslim. He did not place much faith in man-made religions. But what religions was he familiar with? Christianity, and some names of other religions. He knew that the religion of the Arabs was Islam, but he had little knowledge about it. But Islam is nothing else but belief in One God, the Creator of the Universe - everything else follows from that. Some people come to such belief naturally by themselves. Abraham did. And so did some others.

Assalamu Allaicum wa rahmatullah wa barakatuhu

It is truth that Napoleon Bonaparte was familiar with the Islamic (Shariah) law, i think the frst time it happend during his visit to Egypt, but like brother Al-Kashmiri stated above maybe this fact is the one that causes confusion and different speculations, and Allah knows the best.

Belife in existence of One God only, by words, would not make Napoleon B. sincere Muslim, becouse that could make him Christian or Jewish, becouse all three religions are coming from One God and they are established in belife in One God. Muslims recognise all other religions that have came before Islam, but they can not foloow them becouse Allah has made His religion perfect and Quran is the best guide to humanity.

Islam means submision to Allah and submission means acting upon Allahs orders and foolowing that what is from Sunnah of our beloved Prophet Mohammed s.a.w.s.. We must learn four things: knowledge, which is to know Allaah, His Messenger (PBUH) and the religion of Islaam, with the supportive evidences,Application of this knowledge(what means it is not enough to know Islam only with knowledge, but act upon it), calling people to it, persevering patiently through any harm that might afflict you while calling others to it .

If you are asked regarding the three fundamental principles which every Muslim should know, you should reply: “That the slave knows his Lord, his religion (Islaam), and his Prophet, Muhammad (PBUH).”

If you are asked, “Who is your Lord,” you should reply: “My Lord is Allaah, the One Who nurtured me and all that exists with His bounties. He is my deity; I have no deity other than him.” The evidence for this is the saying of Allaah which means: “All the praises and thanks be to Allaah, the Lord of the `Aalameen [mankind, jinn and all that exists].” (Al-Faatihah:2) All that exists except Allaah is the 'Aalam (singular of 'Aalameen), and I am one of the 'Aalameen.”

Islaam is full submission to the oneness of Allaah, obedience, and disavowing shirk (associating partners with Allaah in worship), and those who commit it. It has three levels: Islaam, Eemaan and Ihsaan, and each level has its own pillars . The evidence from Sunnah for this is famous narration about Jibreel. On the authority of ‘Umar (PBUH) who said: “One day while we were sitting with the Messenger of Allaah (PBUH) there appeared before us a man whose clothes were exceedingly white and whose hair was exceedingly black; no signs of travel were to be seen on him and none of us knew him. He walked up and sat down by the Prophet (PBUH), resting his knees against his and placing the palms of his hands on his thighs, he said: ‘O Muhammad! Inform me about Islaam.’ The Messenger of Allaah (PBUH) replied: ‘Islaam is to testify that there is no god but Allaah and Muhammad is the messenger of Allaah, to perform the prayers, to pay the Zakaah, to fast in Ramadaan, and to make the pilgrimage to the House if you are able to do so.’ He said: ‘You have spoken correctly,’ and we were amazed at him asking him and saying that he had spoken correctly.

He said: ‘Then inform me about Eemaan.’ He (PBUH) replied: ‘It is to believe in Allaah, His angels, His books, His messengers, and the Last Day, and to believe in divine destiny, both the good and the evil thereof.’ He said: ‘You have spoken correctly.’

He said: ‘Then tell me about Ihsaan.’ He (PBUH) replied: ‘It is to worship Allaah as though you are seeing Him, and while you don’t see Him, yet truly He sees you.’ He said:

‘Then tell me about the Hour.’ He (PBUH) replied: ‘The one questioned about it knows no better than the questioner.’

He said: ‘Then tell me about its signs.’ He (PBUH) replied : ‘That the slave-girl will give birth to her mistress and that you will see the barefooted, naked, destitute herdsman competing in constructing lofty buildings.’ Then he took off and I stayed for some time. After that the Prophet (PBUH) said: ‘O ‘Umar! Do you know who the questioner was?’ I replied: ‘Allaah and His messenger know best.’ He (PBUH) said: ‘He was Jibreel (Gabriel), who came to you to teach you your religion.’ ” (Muslim)

The Third Fundamental Principle: The Knowledge of your Prophet, Muhammad (PBUH). Allaah has sent him (PBUH) to all mankind and made obeying him mandatory for all jinn and mankind. The evidence for this is the saying of Allaah which means: “Say [O Muhammad]: O mankind! Verily, I am sent to you all as the Messenger of Allaah to Whom belongs the dominion of the heavens and the earth.” (Al- A’raaf:158) With him (PBUH), Allaah perfected the religion, the evidence for this is the saying of Allaah which means: “This day, I have perfected your religion for you, completed My Favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islaam as your religion.” (Al-Maa’idah:3)

May Allah forgive me if I have said something wrong becouse verily Allah knows the best.

May Allah guide us all to be better Muslims. Ameen

Wa Allaicumu Sallam wa rahmatullah wa barakatuhu

dna1987

Muslim Guy
The French football team has a lot of Muslims in it. About 6 or 7 I think. The names that come to mind at the moment are Ribery, Abidal and Yaya Toure (there are 3 of them, brothers). Oh and also Benzema, how could I forget. He is of Algerian descent too, like Zidane, but it is known that he fasted last Ramadan in 2009.
Assalam alaikum.

PS: I would support France in the World Cup this year, due to their high percentage of Muslims in the main team, but Henry is in it too - and he is a handballing cheater!! Lool..did anyone watch the Ireland-France match or highlights? Tsk Tsk.

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
The French football team has a lot of Muslims in it. About 6 or 7 I think. The names that come to mind at the moment are Ribery, Abidal and Yaya Toure (there are 3 of them, brothers). Oh and also Benzema, how could I forget. He is of Algerian descent too, like Zidane, but it is known that he fasted last Ramadan in 2009.
Assalam alaikum.

PS: I would support France in the World Cup this year, due to their high percentage of Muslims in the main team, but Henry is in it too - and he is a handballing cheater!! Lool..did anyone watch the Ireland-France match or highlights? Tsk Tsk.

Assalamu Allaicum wa rahmatullah wa barakatuhu

Yes it was clear to everyone what T. Henry done, but it seems that judges were blind in those minutues.

But offcourse the rules are not the same for all, some of "us" have more privileges than the others. INJUSTICE!!!!!!!!!!

Wa Allaicumu sallam wa rahmatullah wa barakatuhu

arzafar

Assalam alaikum.

but the reaction of the irish was so childish. yes they were very unlucky but that's what sport is all about.

arachan

assalamu'alaykum...

i heard that too, but based on what i read, Napoleon Bonaparte was not stating his self as a muslim, it was just telling us that he converted to other belief besides catholic (as i know France is Catholic)...

wassalamu'alaykum....