Is selling cigarettes haram

MutlekM

:salam2:

My father owns a few stores and some of them sell cigarettes i am just wondering if i should encourage my father to stop selling cigarettes.

BigAk

Yes.. Cigarettes are haram in Islam..... Basically; anything that harms the human body is haram in Islam.

MutlekM

Yes.. Cigarettes are haram in Islam..... Basically; anything that harms the human body is haram in Islam.

thanx but what if my father doesnt own the whole store he owns half and his friend owns the other half. What do we do then.

:wasalam:

yameenahmed

thanx but what if my father doesnt own the whole store he owns half and his friend owns the other half. What do we do then.

even then its haram brother

Allah says in surah baqarah 2:195 " Dont make your own hands cause your own destruction" so any thing which harms our body and our brothers body is haram even if it partially your and partially others it is not permitted:astag:

Idris16

Selling cigarettes
What is the Islamic ruling on selling cigarettes which are sold under licence from the cigarette company?

Praise be to Allaah.

Smoking is haraam, growing tobacco is haraam, and dealing in it is haraam, because of the great harm which it causes. It was narrated in the hadeeth; “There should be no causing harm or reciprocating harm. Smoking is also one of al-khabaa’ith [evil things]. Allaah described the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) as (interpretation of the meaning): “… he allows them as lawful al-Tayyibaat [all good and lawful things] and prohibits them as unlawful al-Khabaa’ith [all evil and unlawful things]…” [al-A’raaf 7:157]

And Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“They ask you what is lawful for them. Say: ‘Lawful unto you are al-tayyibaat…” [al-Maa’idah 5:4]

From Fataawaa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 13/31

Moataz G

who let something for the sake of allah, allah substitute him with something good instead in sha allah dear brother.. tell you father this.. may allah lead him to the roght path in sha allah.

allah is with me

Rabana Wa laqal Hamd

My father owns a few stores and some of them sell cigarettes i am just wondering if i should encourage my father to stop selling cigarettes.

well.. no cigarettes are not haram in islam .. but ya it will give youlots of harm .. and selling cigarette means that your harming a person...so, i think ir's wrong

nita madjid

well.. no cigarettes are not haram in islam .. but ya it will give youlots of harm .. and selling cigarette means that your harming a person...so, i think ir's wrong

Hemmm....

Referring to the ayah from the Quran above, I believe the implication states that indeed cigarettes are haram.

However referring to the original problem of sharing the store, it should your father responsibility to strongly advice his store co-owner to stop selling the cigarettes. If he/she refuse to do so, then your father's responsibility stops there.

I don't really remember the exact verse. But you can find it in the Quran, Allah tells us that one only responsible and be accountable of his own doing not the one others perform. (Just read it a couple of hours ago)

MutlekM

Thanx a lot but i heard that if you encourage the smokers to not smoke and tell them why or like put up signs than u can still sell them. because even if we stop the store next to us would only be thanking us because they sell cigarettes also.

pcozzy

If this helps, I left a business that generated a lot of money but it had items that were haraam. I walked away from them taking a loss. In fact I still have one building left that had a store in it just sitting empty.

And I thank Allah subhanna wata3alla greatly for giving me the strength and conviction for taking this action.

Ever since I feel much better and happier.

I ask Allah to forgive me and ask that other make duaa for me as well.

I will make duaa for you as well.

http://www.fatwa-online.com/fataawa/buyingandselling/selling/sel002/0000812_1.htm
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Trading in cigarettes
*Please appropriately reference this fatwa to: www.fatwa-online.com, thankyou!*
Question
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]: What is the Islaamic ruling regarding one who trades in cigarettes which are sold under licence from the cigarette company?[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Response: Smoking is haraam, growing tobacco is haraam, and trading in it is haraam, because of the great harm which it causes. And it was narrated in the hadeeth:[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]((There should be no causing harm nor reciprocating harm)),[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]and because it is (regarded as) one of the evil things (al-khabaa.ith).[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Allaah (Subhaanahu wa Ta'aala) says, in describing the Prophet (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam):[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]{he allows them as lawful at-Tayyibaat [all good and lawful things] and prohibits them as unlawful al-Khabaa.ith [all evil and unlawful things]}, [Soorah al-A'raaf, Aayah 157].[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]And Allaah (Subhaanahu wa Ta'aala) says (interpretation of the meaning):[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]{They ask you what is lawful for them. Say: 'Lawful unto you are at-Tayyibaat [all good and lawful things]}, [Soorah al-Maa'idah, Aayah 4].[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]And with Allaah lies all success and may Allaah send prayers and salutations upon our Prophet (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) and his family and his companions.[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Permanent Committee for Islaamic Research and Fataawa[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif], comprising -
Head: Shaykh 'Abdul 'Azeez ibn Abdullaah ibn Baaz;
Deputy Head: Shaykh 'Abdur-Razzaaq 'Afeefee;
Member: Shaykh 'Abdullaah ibn Ghudayyaan;
Member: Shaykh 'Abdullaah ibn Qu'ood
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Fataawa al-Lajnah ad-Daa.imah lil-Buhooth al-'Ilmiyyah wal-Iftaa. - Volume 13, Page 31, Question No.1 of Fatwa No.4947[/FONT]

allah is with me

Rabana Wa laqal Hamd
Look for it at quran surah Yunus

thank you sister/brother for telling this to me ... i really never knew about it ... thanks for telling me and also for giving me the information ....(may allah give you good reward for this...ameen ; summa ameen):blackhijab:.. but as per as my sisters and all said that cigarettes are not prohibited in Islam .. but now found the truth .. jasakallah