Israel arrests Hamas leaders

Israeli troops have arrested more than 30 senior Hamas members, including a cabinet minister, legislators and mayors. Nasser Shaer, the Palestinian education minister, was the most prominent Hamas member to be arrested on Thursday, the second time the politician has been arrested in a roundup of Hamas members in the past year.

Speaking to Al Jazeera, Muhammad Barghouti, a Palestinian government minister, said: "What accusation will they [the Israelis] charge al-Shaer with this time? Will they charge him because he is a member of the Palestinian unity government? Or because he is the education minister?"

"It is clear that these arrest operations are a new series of harsh attacks targeting Palestinian people." he said.

"These actions will not help in stabilising the area or succeeding in what the [Palestinian] government seeks to reach - a comprehensive truce with Israel."

Shaer's wife said soldiers knocked on the door of their home in the West Bank city of Nablus and took him away. They also seized Shaer's computer, she said.

Soldiers also arrested Abdel Rahman Zeidan, a former cabinet minister, legislators Hamed Bitawi and Daoud Abu Ser, the mayors of the towns of Nablus, Qalqiliya and Beita - Adli Yaish, Wajih Qawas and Arab Shurafa - as well as the head of the main Islamic charity in Nablus, Fayad al-Arba.

"Arrests are better than shooting," Amir Peretz, the Israeli defence minister, said on Israeli Army Radio.

"The arrest of these Hamas leaders sends a message to the military organizations that we demand that this firing [of rockets] stop."

Troops also searched for Ahmed Haj Ali, a Hamas legislator in Nablus, but did not find him at home, neighbours said.

Thursday morning's roundup came hours after Israeli planes struck what the military said were money changing offices and other businesses in Gaza which were channeling funds to Hamas.

Three people were slightly wounded in one of the attacks, medical officials said, and four stores were damaged in another, Palestinian security officials said.

Electricity was cut off in parts of the town. A third airstrike in Gaza after midnight hit a car whose passengers escaped before the missiles landed.

More than 40 Palestinians have been killed in such missile attacks in the past week.

Last summer, Israel arrested scores of senior Hamas members in retaliation for the capture of Gilad Shalit, an Israeli soldier, by Hamas-allied fighters. Shalit has not yet been released.

Source: AlJazeera and Agencies

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
:salam2:

You know this caturing of hamas leaders is more like they want to scare them and maybe making them feel pressured to quit and no one wants to become a palestinean government official.

But u know what so far i have not heard Palestine having difficulty in getting cabinet ministers . These people are very brave indeed...

:salam2:

You know this caturing of hamas leaders is more like they want to scare them and maybe making them feel pressured to quit and no one wants to become a palestinean government official.

But u know what so far i have not heard Palestine having difficulty in getting cabinet ministers . These people are very brave indeed...

Asalaamalikum,

I agree with you brother. They don't want unity of the Palestinians. They capture innocent people without ANY reason or cause, but if a member of their's get's captured Bush & the West supplies them weapons and give's them the thumbs up.

They are such hypocrits. Let these people do whatever they like, they don't know about their consequences in the after life. May Allah swt punish such people.

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
Israeli troops have arrested more than 30 senior Hamas members, including a cabinet minister, legislators and mayors. Nasser Shaer, the Palestinian education minister, was the most prominent Hamas member to be arrested on Thursday, the second time the politician has been arrested in a roundup of Hamas members in the past year.

yknow what these crazy disgusting people dont bother me a bit, that amir peretz guy cant even see past the end of his nose....hamas wont run out of members as long as occupation lasts.

"Arrests are better than shooting," Amir Peretz, the Israeli defence minister, said on Israeli Army Radio.

this is amir peretz who thinks hes so great and invincible as to arrest hamas members when hes so stupid he cant even look through a pair of binoculars ...it got me laughing.

man dont worry theyre a pushover...:p :SMILY346:

peretz%20w%20binoculars.jpg

apparently peretz nodded 3 times whilst staring through these binoculars....:)

wasalam