Keep Yours Sins a Secret!

Asalaamalikum,

From among the teachings of Prophet Muhammad s.a.w. (peace be upon him) is to keep our sins a secret matter. If someone commits a sinful act which is against the Commandments of Allah, or against the moral character, or commits an act which may cause harm to one's honor, then he should keep it a secret and seek forgiveness from Allah in the darkness of night as quickly as possible.

Prophet Muhammad s.a.w. (peace be upon him) said: "My entire nation is safe, except al-Mujahirin (those who boast of their sins). Among the Mujaharah is that a man commits an (evil) act, and wakes up in the morning while Allah has kept his (sin) a secret, he says: "O so-and-so! Last night I did this and that." He goes to sleep while Allah has kept his (sin) a secret but he wakes up in the morning and uncovers what Allah has kept a secret!" [Sahih al-Bukhari]

Abdullah Ibn Mas'ud r.a. (May allah be pleased with him) related, "A man came to the Prophet and said: "Ya Rasulullah! I have mingled with a woman in the far side of Madinah and I fulfilled my desire short of actually having sexual intercourse with her. So, here am I, judge me according to what you decide.'"

Umar Ibn al-Khattab r.a. (May allah be pleased with him) then said: "Allah had kept your secret, why did not you keep your secret?" [Sahih Muslim]

Similarly, if anyone knows of somebody else's sin, he/she should keep it a secret. Prophet Muhammad s.a.w (peace be upon him) said: "He, who relieves a hardship of this Dunia (world) for a believer, Allah will relieve (from him) a hardship of the Day of Resurrection; he who makes easy an indebted person, Allah will make it easy for him in the Dunia and the Hereafter; he who covers a Muslim (meaning his mistakes and shortcomings), Allah will cover him in the Dunia and the Hereafter …" [Sahih Muslim]

Today, there are channels through which sins are propagated in the society, such as books, magazines, emails, smses and television programs that mention the crimes of others, illicit acts, and immorality under the name of creating awareness among the people.

These so-called awareness are in actual fact, a way to fuel gossips and like a carrot dangling in front of the donkey, a way to make people follow blindly, slowly away from the way of Truth dan Justice shown by Prophet Muhammad s.a.w.

Even though lots of people says that these channels of propagating information are meant to help the people become aware and fight against the crimes but they are in reality, helping the crime to spread faster in the society! Crimes, which were previously unknown to people have become common offenses! It is therefore necessary for the Muslims to avoid all such avenues which may lead to the destruction of our Muslim Ummah.

Notes to consider:

Do not reveal your sins (whether major or minor), not even to your close ones such as your spouse or parents.
Ask Allah for forgiveness for the sins that you had committed and repent as sincerely as you can.
Ask Allah to assist or help you to save from the same thing to happen in the future.
Hide and do not reveal the sins of your Muslim brothers and sisters, and non-Muslims, to others

Ummzaina

:salam2:

Jazaakallah khairen for the reminder...
we do need to keep this in mind as we are prone to feel guilty about such things and share with people close to us/friends etc.

It is so true that these days sins are considered to be publicised no matter how dirty it gets.
Even our children are been exposed to it in the name of education!!!

:wasalam:

Hassana

JazakaAllah khair,

This is among the things that if well practiced by everyone, then peace shall continue to rain.

AyeshaL

question raised by topic

Assalaam Alaikum,

Interesting topic marshallah!

I wanted to ask how you can hide the sins you have committed from your spouse and still have an open, honest relationship? If many sins are committed and one person paints themselves as something they are not (i.e, someone who hasn't committed these sins), surely that will have devasting affects later on down the line for the marriage? Either the sins and subsequent lies (often used to cover up) will be exposed or the relationship could deteriorate because the couple do not truely know each other.

I think there is a difference between telling people you have sinned for the sake of telling them (almost bragging) and telling people in order that they may understand who you are, where you are coming from and that they are able to help you. What does everyone think?

Also, this can refer the backbiting...if you are struggling to help a member of your family / friend with a problem they are experiencing - can you explain the situaiton to someone else (obmitting their names if poss) in order that they can offer you advise, or would that be considered backbiting too? If it is defined by intention surely there is a difference between seeking advice and idle gossip?

Would be interested to hear what other brothers and sisters think :)

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
Umar ibn AL-Khattaab, may God have been pleased with him, took it a step higher! He said, "Hide your good deeds as you hide your sins!" Why, because talking about your good deeds runs the risk of bragging, something that Satan loves to explore ;)

Baraka Allaho Feek akhi..I was wanting to know who said that a while back..and sobhanallah you quoted it now..

And it's really frustrating to see and hear so many brothers and sisters being so "contented" with speaking of their sins..some of them do it for show off..and this is the type I especially despise..as it is even inappropriate etiquette-wise..and some when you advice them..they say..well I want others to learn from my mistakes..and it's like..*well okay..jazakom Allah khair..but *at least* speak in an example format or a "I heard of someone" or "there was someone" format* so no one knows it's *you*..though I still feel iffy about this approach too..but if someone can't help it..they can at least do it that way..

At the end people need to remember that they should not reveal that which Allah concealed...*especially* if they have repented from their sin and moved on with their lives

May Allah guide us all to that which pleases Him best..Ameen!

IbnAhmad

salaam

mashaAllah brother..this is a very important reminder...
may allah reward you for sharing..amiin

wassalam :) :)

Musulmanin

:salam2:

Jazakallah khair for the article. I never understood those walking around openly decrlaring how they disobeyed Allah (swt).