Hadith LICKING OF DOG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eman Yousuf

:salam:,

Abu Huraira(raa) reported: The Messenger of Allah (swa) peace be upon him said," The purification of the utensil belonging to anyone of you after it is licked by a dog, lies in washing it seven times, using sand for the first time.

and in another hadith ; Ibn Mughaffal reported the same, except " asked to wash it with sand on the
eighth time". (Muslim 548/551).

Abu Loren

Defender of Islam!
I'm sorry for going off on a tangent but it really amazes me how some people, especially the Caucasian race of people, loves dogs. Most even kiss dogs mouth to mouth.

I think I'm gonna puke.........

Eman Yousuf

:salam:, If you are talking about the muslim , yes they are harming themselves, but for non muslim this world is their jannah.

wa salaam

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
I'm sorry for going off on a tangent but it really amazes me how some people, especially the Caucasian race of people, loves dogs. Most even kiss dogs mouth to mouth.

I think I'm gonna puke.........

assalamu alaykum, I like dogs, but I would not keep one at home.

Dog's are really wonderful, intelligent and loving animals ! Islam only has certain rules in place due to the physical state of purity we require in our worship of Allah. Dog's are the ones that actually lick human's it is their way of showing affection.

Neither the Quran nor the sunnah speak ill, or place any scorn on dogs in general.

wasalamu alaykum

Amir

Eman Yousuf

:salam:,

Yes, brother ,even we had a dog at home (when I was not a muslim), and I know how they behave . Dogs are wonderful creature of Allah (swa) with their intellegence, sharp eye and response to love.

Apart from the hadith I mentioned(in continuation) yes indeed the prophet :saw: allowed dogs to be kept for hunting /security purposes.

But because of their luaab (saliva) it is haraam and angels wont enter upon a house where there is a dog. :SMILY286:

Rest Allahu Alam

wa salaam

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
salam 'alikum,I've read a hadith which says that dogs are the guardians of the Hell.....and again:when the End is approaching there are 2 signs,during the Adhan dogs will shout out and the kafara billah will ake care of their animals more than of their children.
the black dog is the figure which sometimes comes into my dreams to possess me.I fear it but I fight it with all my strenghts.That animal is useful only during the hunting or to guide the sheeps or to warn if some unknown is approaching to the house,but for the rest,it always remains an animal which is dirty and has a abad smell:confused:

Eman Yousuf

:salam:,Yes sister hayat the black dog (complete black in colour) with a little white spot in forehead is a devil.

Yes , they are not very clean animals themselves (stray dogs) but of course the pets are kept clean, from where you heard that they are guardian of hell? please let me know,I haven't heard anything like that (I want to know).

We should stay away from it because that is what the prophet:saw: told us to do (that's it).

Fi amanillah

masalaam

Cariad

Cerberus, is the name of the three headed black dog that guards the gates of Hell in Greek and early Roman mythology. The key word is ..myth..as they do not in fact exist except in the superstitious minds of ancient people's.

Dogs are just dogs, they are not evil. A bad dog is the result of abuse by humans. Dogs are highly social animals they have earned the title mans best friend for years of loyalty. They have for centuries guarded flocks and herds of animals and have given their lives to protect the ones they regard as their "pack" = owners, and families. There are millions of people in the world who rely on seeing dogs and hearing dogs who tirelessly assist there master or mistress who may be blind or deaf in leading an independent life. There have been studies undertaken that show elderly people live longer if they have a pet dog. Owning a dog as a child teaches the child the responsibility and importance of caring for others.

But because your Prophet did not like dogs and was afraid of them, then you also think the same?

Abu Loren

Defender of Islam!
Narrated Abu Hurairah:
That the Messenger of Allah () said: "Whoever acquires a dog - with the exception of a dog to guard livestock, a hunting dog, or a farm dog - each day a Qirat is deducted from his reward."
Reference : Jami` at-Tirmidhi 1490
In-book reference
: Book 18, Hadith 32

It was narrated from Salim that his father said:
“I heard the Messenger of Allah () raising his voice and commanding that dogs be killed, and dogs were killed, except for hunting dogs or dogs kept for herding livestock.”
English reference : Vol. 1, Book 28, Hadith 3203
Arabic reference : Book 28, Hadith 3324

Eman Yousuf

Sister, welcome, please study more to know Islam.

Our beloved prophet Muhammad :saw:, never said and did any action without the permission of Allah (swa). Yes, who is refusing even our prophet allowed to keep the dogs to guard the heard and for hunting (some rules follow here) purposes, but not to keep them inside the house. The saliva is najis (scientifically prooved).

Muslims try their best to follow their religion and keep themselves within the line drawn by Islam.

Cariad , please I am not here to argue and re-argue about it, if you do not agree it is fine with me.

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
I don't remember exactly where I've read it,it was some years ago,in 2009 I had an hallucination of a dog and I got ill.we went to an imam who explained me that the figure of the dog is not a positive one and he warned us to having one at home because they are bringers of badness.it happens to see a big black dog with long teeth running toward me,many times it escape from a closed room and attacks me,but I kept being ready to face it.wa Allah knows best

Abu Loren

Defender of Islam!
But because your Prophet did not like dogs and was afraid of them, then you also think the same?

Yes, because he lead a life that was pleasing to Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala and his followers try to follow what he did in his daily life in order to get some of the blessings of living a righteous life that is pleasing to God. If one follows his example then one can't go wrong.

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
Cariad, with all due to respect, take extra extra care when you mention our Prophet :saw: (the arabic means peace and blessing be upon him). We show zero tolerance to "any" kind of sarcasm towards him, his ways, or his teaching.

You have no knowledge to speak of him like this. I will request you respectfully to refrain from doing so. Prophet Muhammad:saw: was not afraid of dogs, neither did he dislike them. He was sent with some rules from above seven heaven, rules for those who believe in him, to follow. One of them includes maintaining purity when praying and dog is ruled out as impure in this case.

Lastly, "we" have "no say" after Allah our prophet:saw: has legislated a matter. We hear, we believe, we try to obey. Period. You can ask us what the "Qur'an" and the "Prophet:saw: Sunnah" say on x, y and z. but do not offend us by asking, what do you say when he or Allah says this. . .?

I do not mean to come across as rude or offensive, but yes I'm very much offended if that is showing in my words.

Abu Loren

Defender of Islam!
Cariad, with all due to respect, take extra extra care when you mention our Prophet :saw: (the arabic means peace and blessing be upon him). We show zero tolerance to "any" kind of sarcasm towards him, his ways, or his teaching.

You have no knowledge to speak of him like this. I will request you respectfully to refrain from doing so. Prophet Muhammad:saw: was not afraid of dogs, neither did he dislike them. He was sent with some rules from above seven heaven, rules for those who believe in him, to follow. One of them includes maintaining purity when praying and dog is ruled out as impure in this case.

Lastly, "we" have "no say" after Allah our prophet:saw: has legislated a matter. We hear, we believe, we try to obey. Period. You can ask us what the "Qur'an" and the "Prophet:saw: Sunnah" say on x, y and z. but do not offend us by asking, what do you say when he or Allah says this. . .?

I do not mean to come across as rude or offensive, but yes I'm very much offended if that is showing in my words.

Thank you sis I've been meaning to say something too as she has been at it for a while albeit very subtly.

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
Thank you sis I've been meaning to say something too as she has been at it for a while albeit very subtly.
BaraakAllahu feek. I guess I know now why you were running low on your patience power.

Anyway, you or anyone should be straight forward and tell to stop offending/hurting us. Cariad probably didn't knew. I guess she missed this thread. Otherwise she would have known how serious the issue is. Well, now she does. Another time, and there is report functionality that wants to be used badly. I hope the need doesn't arise.

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
The prophet Muhammed SAWS was the last prophet and it was a guide for the closest ones and he still is a guide for all the muslims who believe to him and to all the prophets.he explained us how to behave if we want to obtain our reward.not everybody maybe has the same point of view of the Prophet SAWS,but this is the life,everything has been written before we talked about it.we can't also find the answer to each questions:if it was possible to answer to everything we didn't need to stay here.the dogs have been created as many other animals,but the pig is Haram,so as the dog has to stay out of the house,without complaining it if it feels cold or hot.it's better if it lives in the nature and not with the human's company,Allah is the best Companion(if I can call Him so)

Hajjerr

He is Dhul-Jalali Wal-Ikram

Salam aleikum wr wb sister,

AlhamduliAllah, you point out a very important thing, the reason why our Prophet saws advised us to keep away dogs from our homes...to maintain purity.
There is no evidence in islam that dogs represents evil spirits, monsters, Hell keepers or so and inshaAllah we should refrain from walking on the paths of mythology and fiction stories...all good is from Allah, all evil is from us...Islam is logical and rational.

As for Cariad, this is why i also advised her to read the biography of Muhammad saws from a reliable source.

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
Dogs are just dogs, they are not evil. A bad dog is the result of abuse by humans. Dogs are highly social animals they have earned the title mans best friend for years of loyalty. They have for centuries guarded flocks and herds of animals and have given their lives to protect the ones they regard as their "pack" = owners, and families. There are millions of people in the world who rely on seeing dogs and hearing dogs who tirelessly assist there master or mistress who may be blind or deaf in leading an independent life. There have been studies undertaken that show elderly people live longer if they have a pet dog. Owning a dog as a child teaches the child the responsibility and importance of caring for others.

No, we don't shy of dogs because our Prophet "did not like them and was afraid of them".

Exactly, where did you get that he was "afraid" of them? Disallowing something does not automatically translate to fear, although to an ignorant individual, it would sure plant seeds of doubt in second-guessing their Prophet and believing him to be a weak individual who did things out of fear.

But I digress.

Firstly, we don't blindly follow his personal preferences. We follow what was revealed to him through Divine inspiration. This is based on faith, so the one without it has zero hope of understanding this point. But any adherent of any other faith will state the same when it comes to defending their religious figures.

Secondly, Islam usually takes the flack for this but people fail to realize we're not the only religion that disavows dogs. In traditional Judaism, dogs are believed to be impure as well.

Scientific research (specifically by Dr. Gerald Finstimer) proves there's a basis to the argument of their lack of hygiene. Dogs not only bring a host of bacteria (such as pasturella) into homes but they can carry tapeworms, which can lead to chronic disease in human beings. At times it has even led to death. Although found in other specimens, it's only found fully-developed in dogs and wolves (rarely cats). Human contraction of it can lead to an incurable inflammation of the lungs, muscles, spleen, kidneys, and brain. We cannot allow our love for things to blind us from certain facts. And the fact is that dogs are not hygienic.

Islam isn't too big on them because purity and cleanliness are two major factors of the religion. Thus, anything interfering with that should be avoided as it hinders the believer from truly adhering to his/her faith. Much of the prohibition is for the purposes of disease-control.

In regards to your statement about the benefits of dogs on the lives of children and the elderly, that can apply to any animal, not just dogs. Ownership of any animal can promote values of compassion and responsibility while instilling feelings of love and companionship. Dogs are not the standard of achieving this.

Despite this fact, Muslims ARE allowed to keep dogs. Just NOT for the purposes of pure companionship. They can be kept for hunting, herding, protection, and disability assistance (just like you mentioned). Unfortunately, many Muslims are either ignorant of this face or simply let their disgust of dogs override this fact. As a result, Muslims are portrayed as barbarians towards animals based on their actions and people like you have misconceptions regarding what Islam really says about dogs.

I definitely agree that some Muslims take their disdain of dogs too far. Much of this is culturally based and in my opinion, absolutely pathetic. I once got into a public heated dispute with another TTI user who thought I was sinning because I had the audacity to call dogs "cute". Such extremism damages the individual perpetuating it first and foremost. Dogs are beautiful and loyal creatures. To believe that they are "evil" in any way is not only ignorant, but disdainful of Allah's creation. We all need to stop thinking in terms of black-and-white. Impurity does not automatically mean evil (just like disallowance does not automatically mean fear) and I really am amazed at the lengths some people will go to demonize dogs (in addition to the Prophet). If dogs were so "evil", sinners would not have been, not only absolved of their sins, but also granted PARADISE for simply feeding them.

Hadith - Bukhari 4:538, Narrated Abu Huraira : Allah's Apostle said, "A prostitute was forgiven by Allah, because, passing by a panting dog near a well and seeing that the dog was about to die of thirst, she took off her shoe, and tying it with her head-cover she drew out some water for it. So, Allah forgave her because of that."

Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, "While a man was walking on his way he became extremely thirsty. He found a well, he went down into it to drink water. Upon leaving it, he saw a dog which was panting out of thirst. His tongue was lolling out and he was eating moist earth from extreme thirst. The man thought to himself: `This dog is extremely thirsty as I was.' So he descended into the well, filled up his leather sock with water, and holding it in his teeth, climbed up and quenched the thirst of the dog. Allah appreciated his action and forgave his sins and admitted him to Jannah". The Companions asked: "Shall we be rewarded for showing kindness to the animals also?'' He (PBUH) said, "A reward is given in connection with every living creature".

Hajjerr

He is Dhul-Jalali Wal-Ikram
Salam aleikum

Sister Hayat, better calm down and not let your emotions rule. One of the purposes of this site is to clear the misconceptions regarding islam. Re-read the post of Shahnazz..We are not teached to hate or abuse animals, remember: All animals are a part of Allah’s creation and belong to Allah (swt). Muslims are custodians of this beautiful planet. How we care for animals and what we use them for we will be accountable for to Allah (swt). All of creation is Muslim, submitting to Allah’s will—only man and jinn are granted a freedom of choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.