Looking for a decent masjid in Manhattan

DanyalSAC

Asalaamu alaikum and Eid Mubarak -

I have an online friend who has been studying Islam for a while now and is ready to take shahadah. He went to the masjid near his home and told the imam what he plans, and the imam sent him to a sister! Of course the sister couldn't speak to him in private, so now this man is confused and doesn't know where to go.

I won't go into my feelings on this, but I am asking if someone can point me (and him) in the right direction to a masjid with an imam who is interested in helping someone who wants to embrace Islam? A masjid on the sunnah inshallah on Manhattan's East Side, though he said any part will do.

I appreciate your help, jazakumAllah khairyn.

islamerica

1 Ummah under God
Wa'alaikum As'salaam brother,

Eid Mubarak!

I would suggest going to the link below and searching by zip, it will show you all the masjids within the vicinity. Then I would suggest calling ahead to talk to them to see if they are open to your friend coming and when.

http://www.islamicfinder.org/

bari

:salam2:
Masjid at 96 st is very good. Shaikh Ahmad Dewidar was imam, now I am not sure but whoever he is .....should be good.

DanyalSAC

:salam2:
Masjid at 96 st is very good. Shaikh Ahmad Dewidar was imam, now I am not sure but whoever he is .....should be good.

Yeah that's the masjid he went to where the imam wasn't interested. Told him to go chat to a sister in the hall. The sister was equally as bewildered.

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
That's really weird. The head imam at that masjid is one of the most influential imams in the country and very well received amongst reverts from what I know. As for the others, perhaps they were confused somehow.

I'm equally bewildered. But I've seen countless reverts take their shahadah there so I'd still recommend it.

One thing the brother could try is calling in advance to speak to one of the imams about taking the shahadah during, say, jummah perhaps. Or he could make an appointment to meet with one.

Either way there's definitely confusion on his part as well since he has no idea why the imam sent him to a sister.

DanyalSAC

That's really weird. The head imam at that masjid is one of the most influential imams in the country and very well received amongst reverts from what I know. As for the others, perhaps they were confused somehow.

I'm equally bewildered. But I've seen countless reverts take their shahadah there so I'd still recommend it.

One thing the brother could try is calling in advance to speak to one of the imams about taking the shahadah during, say, jummah perhaps. Or he could make an appointment to meet with one.

Either way there's definitely confusion on his part as well since he has no idea why the imam sent him to a sister.

Yeah this is why I was asking for a decent masjid in Manhattan, not just for a list of masajid. We all know how to use islamicfinder, but I was asking for a referral. I did give him your suggestion to call ahead and actually schedule a chat with an imam but he didn't seem to be too encouraged. He's been attending Saturday classes at this masjid (the one on 96th) so his knowledge of Islam is getting up there alhamdulillah, but when I asked him why he has delayed his shahadah he said he wants to make it "special". He's even gone out and purchased for himself a thobe & a kufi to wear on that occasion.

I do know what its like to be a curious non-Muslim and not getting any help from the ummah. When I was seeking knowledge on Islam I called all five of the major masajid in the Sacramento area and also emailed those that had a published email address. I have never gotten a reply or a return call on any of my attempts.

aboo_jadd

Try asking on the Al Maghrib forums as they have separate sections for different cities where they teach their courses. If Allah wills, you should be able to find good brothers and sisters who would love to help out a new Muslim.

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
Al Maghrib is awesome but the brother is interested in taking his Shahadah and that's what he needs to focus on first. He should do that in a masjid. After that, he can focus on perfecting his deen.

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
I did give him your suggestion to call ahead and actually schedule a chat with an imam but he didn't seem to be too encouraged. He's been attending Saturday classes at this masjid (the one on 96th) so his knowledge of Islam is getting up there alhamdulillah, but when I asked him why he has delayed his shahadah he said he wants to make it "special". He's even gone out and purchased for himself a thobe & a kufi to wear on that occasion.

I understand that he may feel discouraged after the imam's irrational behavior, but if this brother is already taking classes at the masjid, then he's already got one foot in the door. He can simply talk to his teacher and ask him to help him in this regard.

I do know what its like to be a curious non-Muslim and not getting any help from the ummah. When I was seeking knowledge on Islam I called all five of the major masajid in the Sacramento area and also emailed those that had a published email address. I have never gotten a reply or a return call on any of my attempts.

Yeah that's just embarassing on their part. To hear that Muslims are so lackluster in helping new reverts when it comes to one of the most important duties for us as Muslims (to help non-Muslims enter into Islam), is just downright humiliating and it's really unfortunate for them. The reward of helping a new revert must be immense and they're basically just cutting themselves short of it.

However, to be honest, as many of the imams are from the baby boomer generation, I can safely tell you that the majority of them are "technologically impaired." As in many of them don't even know how to use a computer, let alone check emails. The fact that they even have computers is useless. I know of few imams who actually know how to use a computer. So be aware that this is actually very prominent. Chances are, if you don't receive an answer, don't take it personally. The imam is probably still chronologically stuck. Otherwise, many would jump at the chance to help a revert. It makes no sense as to why they wouldn't.

Not generalizing, just speaking for many of them.